Sign in to follow this  
ncfc4life

Paul Merson about us and todays game

http://www.skysports.com/tv_show/story/0,,12383_7275773,00.htmlJust stumbled upon this article of Paul Mersons comments about todays game and well why sky employ this guy is beyond me. In this article Merson says the penalty decision was one of the worst penalty decisions he has ever seen? Seriously what is he talking about? I can think of loades of penalty decisions that were worse than that.  Apparently the best goalkeepers dont have off days according to Merson (what so cech, reina ,van der sar etc. have never had bad performances?) so Ruddy isnt that good according to Paul because of his perfomance today.

I like Merson on that programme,  he is an amusing character and a bit wayward, once calling Huckerby Huckleberry for eg. I agree with you about his daft comments today and for some reason he put us down, even ignoring our periods of superiority in the first half and at the end in his summing up. He is usually quite complimentary about us.

Perhaps, like Ruddy he had an off-day.

Merson is the best thing about that show tbh always makes me laugh and tbh he was just a bit extreme like me i guess at times but fundamentally he is right.

I prefer to watch the football game myself and not listen to any of these so called experts. I think Merson is better qualified to talk about drinking rather than football.

I watched the game with my own eyes so don''t need an ex pro who probably didn''t fulfill his potential, has had addiction problems and is renowned for saying silly things telling me whats what about the game!

Yes the penalty was soft, yes Blackburn were better than us and yes we got lucky yesterday, end of. What Merson says about the game is up to him but I know what happened!

It is worth remembering that when Merson played for Portsmouth against City at Carrow Road in 2002 he suffered a torrid reception from the Snakepit when taking a corner at their end. I remember seeing him almost wilt at the barrage of abuse. Perhaps he still holds a grudge.

[quote user="ncfc4life"]http://www.skysports.com/tv_show/story/0,,12383_7275773,00.htmlJust stumbled upon this article of Paul Mersons comments about todays game and well why sky employ this guy is beyond me. In this article Merson says the penalty decision was one of the worst penalty decisions he has ever seen? Seriously what is he talking about? I can think of loades of penalty decisions that were worse than that.  Apparently the best goalkeepers dont have off days according to Merson (what so cech, reina ,van der sar etc. have never had bad performances?) so Ruddy isnt that good according to Paul because of his perfomance today.[/quote]Oh get over yourself.  In my view Merson is right about the penalty, it was an awful decision, and Ruddy did have an off day when beaten badly at his near post for their 2nd goal plus other flaps and nervous moments.  But the idea Sky should sack Merson because he said something you don''t like about the club you support is very silly.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I watched the game with my own eyes so don''t need an ex pro who probably didn''t fulfill his potential, has had addiction problems and is renowned for saying silly things telling me whats what about the game!

Yes the penalty was soft, yes Blackburn were better than us and yes we got lucky yesterday, end of. What Merson says about the game is up to him but I know what happened!

[/quote]

Surely the pundits, who are ex-pros, commenting about a game and giving their opinions is part of the package of being a football fan who likes to watch the game on TV after attending  or otherwise. It is for me and I look forward to this aspect of these programmes. It is also quite likely that they will say things we can''t agree with, but we are biased and they are not. At least they shoudn''t be. 

during the game he was the pundit following us and he mentioned a "stonewall penalty" that wasn''t given for handball. i think it was the johnson effort that the goalie stopped at the foot of the post. there was a def handball there. so then he was honest, why think he is less so after the game, only stating his view of happenings.

I pretty much agree with all of what he has said there - the penalty was a joke to be honest (not that I''m complaining, but if it had been the other way round, I definitely would have been!)

and Ruddy was poor. The first goal is woeful from him, and even the freekick - should he have come out for that? Not sure, but he didn''t inspire confidence today.

To be fair to merson, he does say that you''ve got to give credit to Ruddy for how he''s performed this season, but he wasn''t very good today. I think that''s fair! And as good as he has been, he isn''t in the same league as the "great" keepers. Again a fair comment.

Lets be clear, it was not an "awful decision". The incident was nowhere near the same league as the Barnett decision versus stoke.Being objective, the ball has firstly clearly hit his hand, there are no arguments about that, so all the referee has to determine is if it is ''deliberate''. Furthermore deliberate does not mean cynical. The referee has to judge whether the player has made a conscious effort to avoid a handball. The ball is travelling towards him, and for an inexplicable reason he has thrown his hands in the area, despite the fact the ball is travelling towards him. It is obvious he has not intentionally tried to stop the ball with his hands, but he has made a decision nonetheless to move his arms towards the flight of the ball and to subsequently make no effort to move them after that.In the space of a few seconds the ref has to weigh up whether his deliberate actions out-weigh the unintentional outcomes of those actions.I have heard, to my brimful, of comments about naivety, not playing ''the game'' and making sloppy mistakes about our fine team and from my point of view it is clearly one that has now gone the other way, so to speak.I''m not gonna lose sleep over it, and I hazard a guess that absolutely nobody else will, except Nzonzi who will continue to have nightmares about why he threw his hands in the air and created an entirely avoidable situation.

Yes we had a bad day at the office but I dont think we were nearly as poor as Mr Merson would have Sky viewers believe.

If you watch the match of the day highlights it paints a slightly better picture of us.

There was no cheating in the penalty from the City players, if anything i thought the Barclay boys/girls made a good loud appeal (well done), and with the luck we had with penalties at the start of the season we deserve some luck.As for worst penalty decsion Merson has ever seen, he''s talking out of his ar*e!Walcott beat Cech from a similar postion yesterday, than Ruddy was beaten for our second goal, i don''t hear any critisism leveled at Cech.

''There was no cheating in the penalty from the City players, if anything i thought the Barclay boys/girls made a good loud appeal (well done), and with the luck we had with penalties at the start of the season we deserve some luck''

I was sitting behind the goal on the same side which the handball happened and at the time it seemed like it was intentional but after watching replays it clearly should not have been a penalty but I am glad it was.

Everyone was claiming like crazy for it when it happened.

[quote user="Aggy"]I pretty much agree with all of what he has said there - the penalty was a joke to be honest (not that I''m complaining, but if it had been the other way round, I definitely would have been!)

and Ruddy was poor. The first goal is woeful from him, and even the freekick - should he have come out for that? Not sure, but he didn''t inspire confidence today.

To be fair to merson, he does say that you''ve got to give credit to Ruddy for how he''s performed this season, but he wasn''t very good today. I think that''s fair! And as good as he has been, he isn''t in the same league as the "great" keepers. Again a fair comment.[/quote]

In my opinion, the penalty decision was not a joke. What was a joke was their player, not the ref, deciding that he had been fouled and waving his arms in the air appealing to the ref. This, on the edge of the six yard box and in the last minute of injury time of a game where securing three points was vital. Both the player and his manager stated that the player "didn''t even know where the ball was" before it landed on the player''s arm as he swivelled round and had the effect of diverting the ball away from a Norwich player. Somehow in their befuddled minds they thought this was some sort of conclusive defence. My view is that if a player does not play to the whistle but, instead, decides that he has been fouled, stops playing and irresponsibly waves his arms in the air appealing to the ref then (a) that player is interfering with play and (b) if the ball falls onto the players arm or hand and is deflected/diverted then it''s a clear pen.