Sign in to follow this  
The Doc

Midfielder for January?

The last couple of city games have got me thinking do we need to strengthen our midfield come January?

The excellent analysis of the Blackburn game on Holtamania highlights how our midfield pairing of Fox and Johnson let us down on the day. All players will come in and out of form, in Crofts we have a ready replacement for Johnson but I struggle to see who we have to play Fox''s role should his form dip or indeed he gets injured.

Surman may have the range of passing but somehow I don''t see him as a deep lying play maker.

In my opinion we could do with signing a tough tackling keen passer in the mould of Safri to put pressure on the others.

Am I mad in thinking Clingan could do a decent job under Lambert/Culverhouse''s coaching?

Otherwise I''ve always liked Ben Watson, could we prise him away from a struggling Wigan?

I may just have a poor imagination and poor lower league football knowledge but I''m scratching my head to think of many others. These types of players fly under the media radar and seem pretty few and far between.

Who would you realistically go for if at all?

[quote user="The Doc"]The last couple of city games have got me thinking do we need to strengthen our midfield come January?

The excellent analysis of the Blackburn game on Holtamania highlights how our midfield pairing of Fox and Johnson let us down on the day. All players will come in and out of form, in Crofts we have a ready replacement for Johnson but I struggle to see who we have to play Fox''s role should his form dip or indeed he gets injured.

Surman may have the range of passing but somehow I don''t see him as a deep lying play maker.

In my opinion we could do with signing a tough tackling keen passer in the mould of Safri to put pressure on the others.

Am I mad in thinking Clingan could do a decent job under Lambert/Culverhouse''s coaching?

Otherwise I''ve always liked Ben Watson, could we prise him away from a struggling Wigan?

I may just have a poor imagination and poor lower league football knowledge but I''m scratching my head to think of many others. These types of players fly under the media radar and seem pretty few and far between.

Who would you realistically go for if at all?[/quote]

Yes!

clingan is a poor mans fox or johnson - much prefer mcgugan and fits the PL mould

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]clingan is a poor mans fox or johnson - much prefer mcgugan and fits the PL mould[/quote]

No way, It took him seconds to abandon us when we went down, Stuff him, let him suffer with Coventry now. 

Bradley Johnson''s replacement at Leeds United?

Adam Clayton (ex man city trainee) in centre mid is having a superb season for Leeds, picking up MOM''S and contributing three goals.

Aged 22 and leaving Man City to go on loan at Peterborough and MK Dons would fit the young and hungry mould.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Clayton_(footballer)

I disagree we have 2 out and out wingers. Jackson , Surman , Lappin , Smith , Johnson , Crofts could all do a job on the wing. not to mention the fact that we historically have played with no wingers at all and if we reverted to the diamond without wingers we could go 442

Left back can be covered by De Laet as can RB

I personally think the only player we could maybe look to add would be a wow player, someone like Suarez someone who can make things happen on his own.

Never known city have a squad this strong

''I disagree we have 2 out and out wingers. Jackson , Surman , Lappin , Smith , Johnson , Crofts could all do a job on the wing. not to mention the fact that we historically have played with no wingers at all and if we reverted to the diamond without wingers we could go 442''

Smith I believe is injured and Johnson at the moment is out on loan I believe, people also do not beilieve Surman or Lappin can cut it in the premiership.

Left back can be covered by De Laet as can RB

''What if United were to recall him, in my eyes Da Laet is a liability at the moment with the mistakes he had made previously.''

''I personally think the only player we could maybe look to add would be a wow player, someone like Suarez someone who can make things happen on his own.''

I can''t see us getting a player of his caliber, I think we need a cheap Odemwingie or a Maynard type of player.

On the actual front page PL says we will need help in January, which to me suggests we will be getting a couple? of people in.

[quote user="HoltsRightFoot"]...and Johnson at the moment is out on loan I believe...[/quote]

Cripes! Can we get him back before the next game?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="HoltsRightFoot"]...and Johnson at the moment is out on loan I believe...[/quote]

[/quote]

I am pretty sure that you knew I meant Oli Johnson, but yes that is true BRADLEY JOHNSON can play out wide also.

[quote user="HoltsRightFoot"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote] I am pretty sure that you knew I meant Oli Johnson, but yes that is true BRADLEY JOHNSON can play out wide also.[/quote]

And I''m sure that the OP was referring to Bradley as he can play anywhere down the left and Oli will never play for us again.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

I''d love one or two from this lot,

Sammy Clingan - Coventry

Darren Ambrose - Palace

Chris Cohen - Notts Forest

Andy King - Leicester

Jem Karacan - Reading

Scott Wagstaff - Charlton

[/quote]

Sammy Clingan - CoventryPlease!!! Are you serious!! He left us when we were sinking!! I thought he was one of our better players for a very poor team that year! But I would feel very let down if we brought him back.If you were at Coventry last of the season last year! You would know how unpopular it would be.

[quote user="L4cole"]

Sammy Clingan - Coventry

Please!!! Are you serious!! He left us when we were sinking!! I thought he was one of our better players for a very poor team that year! But I would feel very let down if we brought him back.

If you were at Coventry last of the season last year! You would know how unpopular it would be.
[/quote]

I am not for one minute suggesting we should re-sign him but I would be very disappointed if our transfer strategy was influenced by how popular/unpopular a player would be with the fans. We were sh*t and got relegated. He was one of our better players and left. It happens all the time. None of us know the full story behind his transfer but because it was conducted quickly he was ''jumping ship''? If Lambert thought he could improve our squad I would be hapy to have him back.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="L4cole"]

Sammy Clingan - Coventry

Please!!! Are you serious!! He left us when we were sinking!! I thought he was one of our better players for a very poor team that year! But I would feel very let down if we brought him back.

If you were at Coventry last of the season last year! You would know how unpopular it would be.
[/quote]

I am not for one minute suggesting we should re-sign him but I would be very disappointed if our transfer strategy was influenced by how popular/unpopular a player would be with the fans. We were sh*t and got relegated. He was one of our better players and left. It happens all the time. None of us know the full story behind his transfer but because it was conducted quickly he was ''jumping ship''? If Lambert thought he could improve our squad I would be hapy to have him back.

[/quote]

You''ve got more chance of playing for Norwich than him

This seems like the most appopriate thread rather then making a new one:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11709/7285515/Lambert-hints-at-January-deals

Looks like we may be getting a couple more players in January, I wonder if they will be permanent signings or if they will be loans?

Opinions Everyone?

Has PL been on pinkun today I wonder!

As much as I''d love to see Lewis McGugan here or even any one of Snodgrass, Sordel, Howson, King or Whittingham I feel this is not the area of our game that most needs strengthening. With Pilkington, Bennett, Surman, Martin, Wes and even Jackson we have real options to mix and match in the attacking midfield department.

Our defense has looked exposed by our central midfielders in the last few games. This is why I mentioned needing a cultured anchor man in the Clingan mould (not that I''d ever see us having him back) to compete with/cover for Fox. Johnson and Crofts are great but neither are fantastic passers of the ball hence working best with Fox

I like the look of Jem Karacan - good shout

Liam Trotter may be worth scouting also

Otherwise in January a talismanic central defender would be fantastic but unsure who we could realistically afford. Wes Morgan and Luke Chambers may be affordable if Forest continue their slide but they''re not especially awe inspiring

I think a lot of you guys suggesting McGugan, Whittingham, King etc are confused as to what the original poster was asking.

David Fox is a disciplined, deep-lying midfielder, like a quarter-back who dictates the play from deep. The above-mentioned players are utilised further up the field, mostly in the final third.

I''m not sure if Sammy Clingan can step up to the Premier League but he fits the deep-lying midfield description and how many of Lambert''s previous signings were unproven in the Championship, let alone Premier League.

Jem Karacan is a good shout, quite like what I''ve seen of him.

If Barry Ferguson was a little younger and hadn''t recently joined Blackpool, he would have been ideal. Sure Lambert had some OF battles with him.

We need someone with pace who can get in the box on the end of things imo. A Damien Francis before all the issues..