Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

mick dennis

[quote user="The Trumpington Riot"]I''m disinclined to take anything Mick Dennis says seriously, after all he did personally order the Holocaust.[/quote]

the pedant in me has just had me digging through various sites to find the holocaust fact i referred to. it seems i MAY have you confused with adolf hitler. Or I may be an idiot scummer with an axe to grind. if that is the case i apologise unreservedly. *doffs cap*.

I''m pretty sure 95% of these early leavers do so to ''beat the traffic'' or ''beat the queues'' at the pub! These are the type that arrive 3mins late, go down for a pint and a pie at 42mins, return on 48mins, and leave at 85mins regardless of the score. You pay your money to do what you want, but no one leaves the Theatre early to pick up a child/visit a sick relative. If that was the case, you simply wouldn''t go in the first place. It baffles me why people leave early, but at the end of the day they are the ones missing out so they get what they give.

I wasn''t meaning to be disparaging to Mick Dennis, if I was (and I''m sure he doesnt care anyway) - i was just rather astonished to see such a moan after what was a decent game that we''d nicked a point from at the death. Fact is, I didn''t notice many empty seats when we scored, I was too busy celebrating (it didn''t look particularly empty on motd either) and for it to have been an overriding concern from yesterday was a little surprising.

[quote user="Largey"]I''m pretty sure 95% of these early leavers do so to ''beat the traffic'' or ''beat the queues'' at the pub! These are the type that arrive 3mins late, go down for a pint and a pie at 42mins, return on 48mins, and leave at 85mins regardless of the score. You pay your money to do what you want, but no one leaves the Theatre early to pick up a child/visit a sick relative. If that was the case, you simply wouldn''t go in the first place. It baffles me why people leave early, but at the end of the day they are the ones missing out so they get what they give.[/quote]

Feel free to meet my mate and tell him that his 6yo can wait outside in the cold after her ballet lesson every Saturday. Why shouldn''t he have his Saturday at the match (well, most of it) whilst his daughter has her Saturday? BTW I have been known to ask him to leave so we could score especially last season!

What I find more surprising is the people who leave for the Cathedral Lounge half-time biscuits after 40 minutes!

I think the Club should have an experiment here and make all the biscuits the same rather than have a variety pack with chocolate biscuits vs plain or wafers vs bourbons and see if the biscuit chasers - knowing what they will get come early or late - watch any more of the live football.

[quote user="Largey"]I''m pretty sure 95% of these early leavers do so to ''beat the traffic'' or ''beat the queues'' at the pub! These are the type that arrive 3mins late, go down for a pint and a pie at 42mins, return on 48mins, and leave at 85mins regardless of the score. You pay your money to do what you want, but no one leaves the Theatre early to pick up a child/visit a sick relative. If that was the case, you simply wouldn''t go in the first place. It baffles me why people leave early, but at the end of the day they are the ones missing out so they get what they give.[/quote]That''s the problem with some fans and the Mick Dennis'' of this world. They pluck facts and figures from their arses and use it to preach to other fans when they should or shouldn''t leave a match.Some leave early get over it.  Mick is hardly ever here so it shouldn''t fuss him too much anyway.*as a foot note, you don''t buy season tickets to a theatre do you?

When Mick and others pay our ST''s then they can dictate when we leave and arrive to a match, until then I suggest people mind their own.

Ive never once complained about people leaving early, getting up for a wee or refreshments.

Jesus people get a grip, people pay their money and it''s their choice to leave early, arrive late or stay to the end.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="yellow blood"]

Collecting a child from another activity, catching a train/bus, visiting a sick relative, don''t like being in a crowd of people leaving a football stadium, another engagement so have to be home and get ready, electronically tagged...

[/quote]

I do accept that a small percentage may have to go to work, thats fair enough, but would 10 mins make any difference if picking up a child, visiting a sick relative, getting ready to go out. You know the game finishes around 4.50pm surely you can make your arrangements around those times?

I still think the majority of the early leavers do so to avoid the traffic and I dont see how that 10 mins makes  much of a difference.

[/quote]

It''s not 10 minutes though. Arriving back at the Town Hall to pick up your car with everybody else could mean sitting in a queue for half an hour in the car park. I found that leaving just a few minutes earlier could save a lot of inconvenience by getting out almost immediately while also appearing to encourage the team to score.  

I have no problem with people leaving early. You pays your money & you makes your choice.

However, I sit in the first two rows of the Jarrold stand, & the early leavers invariably walk in front of me then stop & turn round to watch the match every time the crowd roars.

This means that I have paid to watch the match but end up watching someones backside for the last few minutes instead.

This I do find VERY annoying.

If you want to leave early, that''s fine. But could you please do so quickly & not stop & watch more of the match along the way.

Well I won''t leave early, why because I want to see the other results too. People leave without seeing them which again I would never do.

Ok I live in the city and can walk, but I don''t see the need to rush and be stuck in traffic, football should be enjoyed not just fit in tightly.

I understand some of the elderly etc wanting to in the winter but on Saturday it made me laugh when people left because as much as I was unimpressed by the level of our performance we will get a chance at the end of the game. Last season we scored many and this season, I want the fourth official to give us 3-4 minutes.

Nothing better than jibing at friends or family that leave early when they have missed the goal. Those emotions at final whistles or seeing the goals stay with you forever

Now I don''t go to every game, but I love in America that you can go in during the baseball game, at a reduced rate. Now I would happily wait for those that leave then to tag them as they leave and then run up the stairs to see the final few minutes. One in one out policy. Be told the seat number and run in.

Seriously though, it is those emotions at the final whistle which stick with you. If you want or need to leave early then you miss those. I will never miss those so doesn''t bother me in the slightest, it just makes me want the team to score more.

I agree with Smooth. Those final minutes and the feeling at the final whistle is often the emotion that remains the longest from the day. Thinking about Saturday I cannot imagine how I would have felt about the game had I left at 80 minutes but having stayed to the end and applauded the players off the pitch I carry with me positive feelings going into next week''s game.

August 64

That makes 3 of us then 64. There''s been so many emotional last few minutes over the years. Middlesboro 4-4 is on ethat we''ll never forget. And of course Jackson''s 96th minute winner against Derby. These two examples and the emotion  of being there turn a statistic into an experience that will stay with us forever. Of course as with everything there''s a downside. When we concede a late goal that costs it really is a downer. But being "gutted" is another emotional part of the game and also turns a statistic into an experience.

Folk can do what they like but I honestly believe they miss out. The upside of that is, as someone said earlier, it''s great fun taking the pee! [:)]

[quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="yellow blood"]

[quote user="Mick Dennis"]Whoa! I didn''t do any talkSPORT during July 2010. If I had, and if, for some reason, I had forgotten seeing Silva several times at Valencia, I would not have admitted that ignorance on radio. I''d have bullsh***ed. On the subject in hand, I pay to watch City (that''s our City, exiled blue) home and away, as I have done for several decades. Occasionally I get asked to cover them for the Express, although I try to avoid that, because I can''t enjoy the game. Even more occasionally I get an invite from Delia and, guess what, I say ''Yes please''. But most of the time I do a 260-mile round trip just to home games. My fury yesterday was that this set of players and this manager deserve more than people walking out on them when they are pressing for an equaliser. I know it happens at other grounds, but I don''t care about other teams.[/quote]

Mick, you don''t know their circumstances so shut the fcuk up.

[/quote]

But what circumstances could force people to leave so early?

If I was a a betting woman I would say the majority of people who leave early do so they dont have to sit in a queue of traffic, but then again what would you rather do, miss Norwich''s late goals or get home 30 mins later, it''s a no brainer to me?

[/quote]

Collecting a child from another activity, catching a train/bus, visiting a sick relative, don''t like being in a crowd of people leaving a football stadium, another engagement so have to be home and get ready, electronically tagged...

[/quote]

That accounts for 1% of the early leavers. What about the rest?

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"][quote user="Largey"]I''m pretty sure 95% of these early leavers do so to ''beat the traffic'' or ''beat the queues'' at the pub! These are the type that arrive 3mins late, go down for a pint and a pie at 42mins, return on 48mins, and leave at 85mins regardless of the score. You pay your money to do what you want, but no one leaves the Theatre early to pick up a child/visit a sick relative. If that was the case, you simply wouldn''t go in the first place. It baffles me why people leave early, but at the end of the day they are the ones missing out so they get what they give.[/quote]

That''s the problem with some fans and the Mick Dennis'' of this world. They pluck facts and figures from their arses and use it to preach to other fans when they should or shouldn''t leave a match.

Some leave early get over it.  Mick is hardly ever here so it shouldn''t fuss him too much anyway.

*as a foot note, you don''t buy season tickets to a theatre do you?
[/quote]

You have the right to leave early. You have the right to leave at half time if you want to. Equally, other people who stay for the whole match have the right to make comment of it. Personally, I have always found it astonishing seeing people flee before the climax of the game. Must confess to not understanding the "season tickets to a theatre" comment.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="yellow blood"]

[/quote]

I do accept that a small percentage may have to go to work, thats fair enough, but would 10 mins make any difference if picking up a child, visiting a sick relative, getting ready to go out. You know the game finishes around 4.50pm surely you can make your arrangements around those times?

I still think the majority of the early leavers do so to avoid the traffic and I dont see how that 10 mins makes  much of a difference.

[/quote]

It''s not 10 minutes though. Arriving back at the Town Hall to pick up your car with everybody else could mean sitting in a queue for half an hour in the car park. I found that leaving just a few minutes earlier could save a lot of inconvenience by getting out almost immediately while also appearing to encourage the team to score.  

[/quote]

Shame! What a disaster that would be. Well worth missing the excitement of a winning/equalising goal to avoid that. All a case of priorities, I guess.

Jeeeeesus not another ''what makes you a better fan than the rest of us?'' thread?

Look, we all have different circumstances in life and certain groups need to leave early.

It is not a fricking crime to leave a football match early. Do you honestly belive the players care if a few (i.e the minority) leave a game early?

I''ve never had to leave a game early but I do not have an issue that those who do.

Get over yourselves.

[quote user="im spartacus"]on that basis you''re preaching now... mick dennis had an opinion and expressed it on a radio show which is there for people to express opinions ...get over it [:D][/quote]Maybe, but I don''t ever have the urge to phone radio shows to express criticism of so called fellow fans.  MD has had his knockers yes, but why has he the need to whine about early leavers, when anybody who possess a brain can reason out that A) it''s their choice their ticket & B) those individuals feel they have a valid reason for doing so.  And sure as eggs are eggs MD will write at some point in the future, in an article he has written, how some Norwich fans are horrible to him.... again.  So the cycle continues.......................................... 

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="yellow blood"]

[quote user="Mick Dennis"]Whoa! I didn''t do any talkSPORT during July 2010. If I had, and if, for some reason, I had forgotten seeing Silva several times at Valencia, I would not have admitted that ignorance on radio. I''d have bullsh***ed. On the subject in hand, I pay to watch City (that''s our City, exiled blue) home and away, as I have done for several decades. Occasionally I get asked to cover them for the Express, although I try to avoid that, because I can''t enjoy the game. Even more occasionally I get an invite from Delia and, guess what, I say ''Yes please''. But most of the time I do a 260-mile round trip just to home games. My fury yesterday was that this set of players and this manager deserve more than people walking out on them when they are pressing for an equaliser. I know it happens at other grounds, but I don''t care about other teams.[/quote]

[/quote]

If I was a a betting woman I would say the majority of people who leave early do so they dont have to sit in a queue of traffic, but then again what would you rather do, miss Norwich''s late goals or get home 30 mins later, it''s a no brainer to me?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My mate said he missed your survey so could you send another one? Oh, you didn''t. Well, how do you know it''s 1%?

Also that half hour saved means a little girl isn''t having to wait on her own either in the cold or with a dance teacher that is wanting to get home. 

[quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="yellow blood"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My mate said he missed your survey so could you send another one? Oh, you didn''t. Well, how do you know it''s 1%?

Also that half hour saved means a little girl isn''t having to wait on her own either in the cold or with a dance teacher that is wanting to get home. 

[/quote]

I think we all know that the vast majority leave early to miss the traffic. Fine, I really don''t have an issue with that. If it is more important for an individual to save a few minutes in the car than experience the joy of being present when a winning/equalising goal is scored, I can understand that (actually I can''t). As I said before, everyone has their own priorities. I cannot criticise someone for having different priorities to me but I certainly reserve the right to have an opinion about it.  

''If I was a a betting woman I would say the majority of people who leave early do so they dont have to sit in a queue of traffic, but then again what would you rather do, miss Norwich''s late goals or get home 30 mins later, it''s a no brainer to me?''

I would rather see a Norwich late goal, have never left early and never will.

[quote user="HoltsRightFoot"]''If I was a a betting woman I would say the majority of people who leave early do so they dont have to sit in a queue of traffic, but then again what would you rather do, miss Norwich''s late goals or get home 30 mins later, it''s a no brainer to me?'' I would rather see a Norwich late goal, have never left early and never will.[/quote]

And that applies to about 98% of the supporters. And before anyone asks, a survey hasn''t been carried out - just an "intelligent" guess.

[quote user="HoltsRightFoot"]''If I was a a betting woman I would say the majority of people who leave early do so they dont have to sit in a queue of traffic, but then again what would you rather do, miss Norwich''s late goals or get home 30 mins later, it''s a no brainer to me?''

I would rather see a Norwich late goal, have never left early and never will.[/quote]Impossible to say 100%.  I''m sure many never have intended to but circumstances has dictated otherwise.  You see, 20,000 regular ST holders during the course of a season. Probability suggests some may have to at some point.

Just as a ''for instance''.  It''s your old grand mothers surprise 90th birthday bash organised at 5.15pm. Would you A) miss the game totallyB) leave 5 minutes early to get back in time.

All right nobody has to answer it just demonstrates a point.