Sign in to follow this  
LQ

NCFC v Arsenal or...

Saturday 19th November...Possibly the biggest home match of our season so far...Saturday 19th November...For Labour Party members in Norwich South possibly the biggest moment since that stupid result in May 2010...(nb. for mods or wannabee mods I''m not entirely sure if this is a football post or a non-football post)The Labour Party in Norwich South - where I live & vote - have decided in their wisdom that the date for the hustings for the Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for our constituency is 19th November. If you don''t attend from 12 noon until the end of the speeches of all 4 candidates you can''t vote on who will represent us in the next General Election.Obviously if you want to attend and vote you''ll be missing the NCFC v AFC match kicking off at 12.45.I''ve queried this with the local party and the response was that apparently I could have applied for a postal vote:1) Before 20th October - ie before we knew who, if anyone (!) was standing.2) Somewhere amongst the 5 emails a day that any normal working person doesn''t have time to read there was a note about this.3) The local organiser is a NCFC fan too and he''ll have to miss the game (err... so why suggest that date in the first place???)One of the PPCs came calling on Friday night. I won''t name him but fair to say he sits at the back of the band with his sticks. When I queried with him the timing of the hustings (ie THE ONLY TIME I CAN CAST MY VOTE) he said that if I was going to vote for him I should go to the hustings - if I were to be about to put a X in the box for someone else I should go to the footie.LOL? ;~(It seems there are many others who are Labour members in Norwich South who will have to make this awkward decision but the question here is what is more important? Football or politics?Your reasoned responses would be much appreciated.

p.s. For what it''s worth I reckon we can hold them to a draw.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Anyone who wants to vote Labour after Brown and Blair surely aren''t bright enough to understand football.....[/quote]Anyone who wants to vote Tory after Cameron and Osborne is either the output of "public" school or a sado-masochist.Anyone who wants to vote Lib Dem is either a hopeless optimist or unable to learn a simple lesson.

"p.s. For what it''s worth I reckon we can hold them to a draw."

you may lose that if it goes into extra time and the libdems join the tories again

otherwise that''s another 3 and a half years away - whereas (if some on here are to be believed we will have lost our relegation battle by Xmas) this may be the last chance you get to see Arsenal at Carrow Road in a league game

football it has to be

Yeah, we really need them in again to run up 150 Billion a year debts.  Will people ever learn... [:(]

I see you used to have old big-ears Clarke as your MP until he managed to lose to a faceless Lib Dem. And now the drummer from Blur is on the short-list, together with a BBC journalist and someone who contested Cameron''s seat in Oxfordshire last time round and so obviously is now seen as deserving of a better crack of the whip. The only credible one looks like the woman who is a local councillor. But she probably won''t get the nod. Anyway, in a General Election, people vote for the Party not the person, so I wouldn''t worry too much if I were you and would go to the match instead.

[quote user="yellow blood"]Your one vote won''t really affect the result...[/quote]

My point is that it isn''t my one vote.As a city of approximately 200,000 with 20,000 + season ticket holders it could potentially be 10% of the Norwich South Labour member electorate whose votes won''t be heard if push comes to shove.

[quote user="Canarino"]I see you used to have old big-ears Clarke as your MP until he managed to lose to a faceless Lib Dem. And now the drummer from Blur is on the short-list, together with a BBC journalist and someone who contested Cameron''s seat in Oxfordshire last time round and so obviously is now seen as deserving of a better crack of the whip. The only credible one looks like the woman who is a local councillor. But she probably won''t get the nod. Anyway, in a General Election, people vote for the Party not the person, so I wouldn''t worry too much if I were you and would go to the match instead.[/quote]

Vicky MacDonald (the woman who is a local councillor) is actually the one who would be getting my vote as the only credible candidate!

[quote user="LQ"]

If you don''t attend from 12 noon until the end of the speeches of all 4 candidates you can''t vote on who will represent us in the next General Election.

[/quote]

I''d challenge this. It makes no sense. Especially if they were allowing postal votes if applied for in time.

Typical ridiculous meaningless command and control from the Labour Party. Do they think that if they make you stay for 4 speeches, they can somehow make you actively listen? It''s humiliating IMO to be treated like that.

Its funny here in America they have people to believe that if the Rich pay less taxes they will hire more ha so funny...Funny the rich here are paying less taxes then ever before and they are hiring no one...what they are doing is hiring overseas cheap labor as they get richer. Its a frigging joke.

The only worthwhile party is UKIP in my eyes. Will get us out of the EU, save us cash and will help rebuild this country to it''s former glory.

[quote user="BW"]The only worthwhile party is UKIP in my eyes. Will get us out of the EU, save us cash and will help rebuild this country to it''s former glory.[/quote]

I was just about to point out that I vote UKIP too (can''t be doing with all these major parties)

Glad I''m not the only one whose now about to be wrongly accused of being racist for doing so........

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]Oh, and as for the question in hand, go to the football.....[/quote]

thats what I''ll be doing, It makes no difference who you vote for they,are all money grabbing lieing toerags.

[quote user="LQ"][quote user="yellow blood"]Your one vote won''t really affect the result...[/quote]

My point is that it isn''t my one vote.

As a city of approximately 200,000 with 20,000 + season ticket holders it could potentially be 10% of the Norwich South Labour member electorate whose votes won''t be heard if push comes to shove.

[/quote]

Surely no greater incentive will ever exist to double the capacity at Carrow Road as soon as possible. [:D]

[quote user="BW"]The only worthwhile party is UKIP in my eyes. Will get us out of the EU, save us cash and will help rebuild this country to it''s former glory.[/quote]Yeah! It''s not like we do much trade with the EU these days, we can easily afford to lose most of it.

watch a bunch of liars and cheats as they tell us how "things will be better in the future"? it doesnt matter who "represents" or wins the elections... nothing changes...we live under an '' acceptable dictatorship". not like one in Libya, but one where the money is taken from the poor and away from those who need it and given to the big wigs, the bullys.. we must do as they say or they will take more out of us.... i coukld go on about this with pages as to why society failed and why Oliver Cromwell killed this country but wont do so as i havent got all day to ype!or watch a different bunch of liars and cheats as they get rolled over by Norwich...i know which one i''d enjoy more.. and its the one i can''t influence!

[quote user="Canarino"]Typical ridiculous meaningless command and control from the Labour Party. Do they think that if they make you stay for 4 speeches, they can somehow make you actively listen? It''s humiliating IMO to be treated like that.[/quote]"you WILL stay or you WONT be allowed to vote.. losing one of your rights and freedoms and theres nothing you can do about it" ''acceptable dictatorship'' example one.

Cheers for the replies guys.One way or another I feel almost vindicated in my lack of acceptance of this situation.