Sign in to follow this  
L4cole

John Ruddy, Two sides to a coin!

I felt he was amazing against Liverpool and finally I was starting to think that all the John Ruddy lovers were onto something. He really could be a future England Keeper. Then we see Saturday. Now every keep has an off day. And although he won a point last week. I feel he dropped us 2 this week.Dropped the ball on many occasions (that needs to improve as he did it against Liverpool as well) and was beat at the near post for our second! Lets not forget he nearly fell over the line in the second half. He''s like Gomes for Spurs at the moment.I am not having a go about him! Just pointing out that he still makes far to many error and has a lot to learn. Lets not all get carried away with his progress just yet. Just hope he goes on to play more like he did at Liverpool and less like this Saturday

Never rated Ruddy anyway - he can''t hack it in the premier. I say give young Declan Rudd a chance before someone comes in for him.

[quote user="L4cole"]I am not having a go about him! Just pointing out that he still makes far to many error and has a lot to learn......[/quote]Dread to think what you''d say if you DID have a go at him.....

Again there are 20 first choice goalkeepers in this division, Ruddy for me is doing all we can ask. There have been some defensive mix ups early on and our defending on saturday as a team not great, I would love for him to get a clean sheet.

It certainly is the thing we need to start working on as a team. We are a work in progress and I am happy for him in goal for us, but as soon as we can get clean sheets the job becomes easier. It certainly is the key to staying up this season.

I think we can look at all players and say they offer this or don''t offer that. But we are a promoted team, with no recognised premiership players. For us to do the business we have to play at full capacity each game, so far we have set some high standards again this year with some new players in our squad too.

That is impressive, if we stay up then there will be new players, of course. But right now, we need to up our performance because we got out of jail on saturday. Coming from two goals down with 20 odd minutes to go is very rare in the prem. unless you are in the top four or five teams.

Talk of all this england nonsence is not of interest, it is keeping Norwich in the premiership. Not bothered if Ruddy is considered but for us to question is he good enough. I don''t care. What we want is wins and the team bringing about clean sheets.

harsh to put all 3 goals on ruddy, there was one that he should of made the save but all goals were down to shoddy defending. anyway write it off main focus is now villa away, a point there would be great.

Liam I am with you. As soon as the final whistles goes you can''t do anything about the result. You move on straight away.

Before I was hoping that we would get the win to prove we were ruthless and serious about taking advantage of a team that is in the mire.

During the game, I thought we were under-par and I was disappointed

After, relieved we got out of jail, somehow a bad performance that we saved by desperate substituions and formation.

Move on to Villa, big thing for me is that we looked stale in the last game, so look at villa weaknesses and dangers and look at the best team to beat them.

I''d look at either changing to a 4-4-2 with Holt and Morison upfront with Hoolahoops wide left and Pilky wide right, sorry Benno. Or move to 4-3-1-2 with crofts coming into the midfield three with johnson and Fox, allow hoolahan to get on petrov and cause him problems in the free role behind the two big guys. Not a diamond but a very flat midfield.

Personally I''d like the idea of the 4-3-1-2 and I am sure that in training they may look at another system. I am sure jackson and Holt are chomping at the bit to partner Steve Morison.

[quote user="Liam"]harsh to put all 3 goals on ruddy, there was one that he should of made the save but all goals were down to shoddy defending. anyway write it off main focus is now villa away, a point there would be great.[/quote]I was pointing to the second goal! Beaten at the near post!

I too I was delighted to see Ruddy playing well and proving me wrong, but that slip at Liverpool (I was directly behind him and still can''t make out how he let that slip through his fingers) and the performance on Saturday has started to concern me again.

Up until Saturday I thought the defence has played pretty well but I felt Ruddy''s below par performance did not help them.. It was not only the highlighted errors of Ruddy but his coming for crosses etc were poor. This seemed to have an adverse effect on the defence the more the game went on.

He seems a decent lad and he is still young for a keeper. Let''s hope that he''s got his bad game and the yips out of his system.

My view is that some players started believing the hype after getting a draw at Liverpool and reaping the accolades and talk of England call-ups, even possible calls from agents about January moves etc, and then thought they only needed to turn up against bottom team Blackburn. Hopefully, this game was a wake-up call and the players will get back to business at Villa after realising that we will get nothing without 100% effort and commitment.  

[quote user="Paul"]Never rated Ruddy anyway - he can''t hack it in the premier. I say give young Declan Rudd a chance before someone comes in for him.[/quote]

He''s hacked it so far.It wasn''t his best game on saturday,but a few were underpar as well as him.

[quote user="Paul"]Never rated Ruddy anyway - he can''t hack it in the premier. I say give young Declan Rudd a chance before someone comes in for him.[/quote]And maybe you''ll be walking down the stairs of a multi-storey car park...and *push!*.........You never know.

All this "goalkeepers shouldn''t get beaten at the near post" stuff is bulls@it in my opinion. It only counts if the goalkeeper has covering defenders to block off a shot to the far post. It use to apply more when balls were heavier and couldn''t be struck as fast, but look at the speed Yakubu put on that shot, I think it would have beaten pretty much any goalkeeper.People repeat the "near post" line verbatim because they hear a commentator or Garth Crooks say it, but if you look at Ruddy''s position it is pretty much perfect. Just the shot was too hard for him to get down to - which is a side effect of the fact he is such a big unit, but if he wasn''t he''d never of made the save against Liverpool. Swings and roundabouts.

Ruddy wasn''t the only Premier League keeper to be beaten on his near post on Saturday! The goal that concerned me most was the third. It was dreadful defending even though a good ball into a dangerous area.

I do not think Ruddy was to blame for any of the goals. The near post mistake is rubbish. He had a split second to react and was well positioned. Yakubu hit it like a rocket and the keeper had no chance. The third was a very good freekick and difficult to deal with.

The Sky commentator was continually complaining about Ruddy for no great reason. Is playing well but needs to dominate his area with more authority and does occasionally drop high crosses. Don''t forget week after week he is having to deal with some very big boys up front.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]All this "goalkeepers shouldn''t get beaten at the near post" stuff is bulls@it in my opinion. It only counts if the goalkeeper has covering defenders to block off a shot to the far post. It use to apply more when balls were heavier and couldn''t be struck as fast, but look at the speed Yakubu put on that shot, I think it would have beaten pretty much any goalkeeper.

People repeat the "near post" line verbatim because they hear a commentator or Garth Crooks say it, but if you look at Ruddy''s position it is pretty much perfect. Just the shot was too hard for him to get down to - which is a side effect of the fact he is such a big unit, but if he wasn''t he''d never of made the save against Liverpool. Swings and roundabouts.
[/quote]

Bethnal, I often agree with you, but not in this case. If you look at the goal again, Yakubu shoots from at most two yards inside the penalty and wide out on the right hand side, so probably, with the angle, from about 18 yards out. It''s a hard shot, but Ruddy still has time to react, because he gets a dive in. It is just that his positioning IS wrong. In two ways. He is not close enough to his near post and he is at least a yard or so too close to his own goal line.

The result is that his poor positioning doesn''t narrow the angle enough and gives Yakubu space to aim at inside the near post. And that is - certainly in this case - a cardinal sin. I don''t say that because Garth Crooks may have said it. I say it as a (very bad) ex-goalkeeper.

If Ruddy had properly guarded his near post Yakubu would have been forced to try to drag the shot across to the far post. Possible, but a much more difficult trick to pull off.

Finally, Ruddy''s downcast body language after the goal was clear evidence that HE thought he had made a mistake. Interestingly,his body language was almost as downcast after the third goal, when he possibly should have come for the free-kick but didn''t.

Petr Cech was beaten at his near post for Arsenals 5th goal at the weekend. It happens. You should be more concerned if he is flapping at crosses or kicking poorly. But he isn''t. He nearly stumbled into the goal with the ball - but he didn''t. He strikes me as a man with a lot of self belief, which is paramount for a keeper. You are comparing his recent performance to the high standard he has set throughout the season, which is fair, and isn''t wasn''t as good as the Liverpool game, but we must have the belief in him because Lambert has stuck by him throughout his time here and when has Lambert got a decision wrong?!

I''ve joined in the "near post" line myself Bethnal Yellow but I think you''re probably right and the thought that I might be espousing trite nonsense from a Garth Crooks'' figure has caused me some alarm!

Actually, I think the general grumbling about Saturday is all out of proportion and, dare I say it, I didn''t even feel we played badly in the first half. This talk of our formation needing changing because of a drop in our standard isn''t that rational either as I thought we were far and away the better side in the first half, had plenty of pressure, won all the loose balls, showed good movement, especially down the left with Pilkington, and the half-time score didn''t reflect fairly at all - ultimately Hoyland scored a blinder, fair enough.

The nub of it is this: for all our pressure we didn''t carry enough of a threat down the middle, which is no surprise since Morison is left to plough a lonely furrow, a plan that has worked very very well for the past month or so. Saturday was similar to other weeks really, except their central defensive pairing were pretty solid and the final ball wasn''t quite as accurate as it has been, with a result that our best chances fell outside the box.

As for Ruddy, he clearly needs to work on his handling. That apart, no big deal, Saturday was actually fantastic entertainment in the end (regardless how we got there) and we can move on with plenty of optimism, whether te formation changes or not.

I think most would say that Ruddy could have done better with their 2nd, but it was hit very hard and beat him. C''est la vie, you move on. I''d have thought his performances to-date this season might have earned him a little lee-way, but it seems not for some.

[quote user="paul moy"]My view is that some players started believing the hype after getting a draw at Liverpool and reaping the accolades and talk of England call-ups, even possible calls from agents about January moves etc, and then thought they only needed to turn up against bottom team Blackburn. Hopefully, this game was a wake-up call and the players will get back to business at Villa after realising that we will get nothing without 100% effort and commitment.  [/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out. I''m sure no-one was aware of that before.

[quote user="Largey"]Petr Cech was beaten at his near post for Arsenals 5th goal at the weekend. It happens. You should be more concerned if he is flapping at crosses or kicking poorly. But he isn''t. He nearly stumbled into the goal with the ball - but he didn''t. He strikes me as a man with a lot of self belief, which is paramount for a keeper. You are comparing his recent performance to the high standard he has set throughout the season, which is fair, and isn''t wasn''t as good as the Liverpool game, but we must have the belief in him because Lambert has stuck by him throughout his time here and when has Lambert got a decision wrong?![/quote]Is he not flapping at crosses though? Has he not dropped the ball 3 or 4 times in the last 2 games? Just my observation!

Paul Merson was also critical of Norwich

goalkeeper John Ruddy, who made several mistakes throughout the game,

particularly in failing to deal with Yakubu''s goal.

The 24-year-old has earned plenty of plaudits this season, but Merson said he was shown to be fallible in this game.

"You''ve got to give credit when credit''s due and he has been brilliant," he said.

"But

today he dropped one in the first half and it got cleared off the line,

then for Yakubu''s goal he had Weetabix hands. They just crumpled and it

went straight through his hands.

"It was shocking for someone

who''d had a lot of praise. That''s the difference between great

goalkeepers and the ones who are good goalies.

"You can''t have a

go at him because he''s done great and he saved them a point last week.

This week he made a couple of mistakes."

[quote user="L4cole"]

Paul Merson was also critical of Norwich goalkeeper John Ruddy, who made several mistakes throughout the game, particularly in failing to deal with Yakubu''s goal.

The 24-year-old has earned plenty of plaudits this season, but Merson said he was shown to be fallible in this game.

"You''ve got to give credit when credit''s due and he has been brilliant," he said.

"But today he dropped one in the first half and it got cleared off the line, then for Yakubu''s goal he had Weetabix hands. They just crumpled and it went straight through his hands.

"It was shocking for someone who''d had a lot of praise. That''s the difference between great goalkeepers and the ones who are good goalies.

"You can''t have a go at him because he''s done great and he saved them a point last week. This week he made a couple of mistakes."

[/quote]

So you''re only having a go at him because of Paul Merson?

Right....

[quote user="Jarrold_stand_blockN"][quote user="L4cole"]

Paul Merson was also critical of Norwich goalkeeper John Ruddy, who made several mistakes throughout the game, particularly in failing to deal with Yakubu''s goal.

"But today he dropped one in the first half and it got cleared off the line, then for Yakubu''s goal he had Weetabix hands. They just crumpled and it went straight through his hands.

"It was shocking for someone who''d had a lot of praise. That''s the difference between great goalkeepers and the ones who are good goalies.

"You can''t have a go at him because he''s done great and he saved them a point last week. This week he made a couple of mistakes."

[/quote]

So you''re only having a go at him because of Paul Merson?

Right....

[/quote]No just pointing out that a man who has won trophies and played at the very top level AND is also paid a lot of money to give his opinion... Is seeing  it as I do! Just backing up my opinion by showing other are thinking the same way.

This has been a good thread but I''m with you still on this L4.

My genuine worry is his tendency to fumble with the ball. Although he has had a good season up until Saturday, I always hold my breath when the ball is in our penalty area. Perhaps because I was not a great fan of his in his early career with us I am now biased and am worrying unduly. Perhaps I am being over critical.

One thing is for sure, he cannot and we cannot afford him to have too many games like that. I really hope he does make it but only time will tell. We are so lucky to have a superb Manager who never moans about his players in public but doesn''t give them too many chances. For example, I give you Control Alt.

I would say taking crosses is one of Ruddys strong points, but you may draw on a couple of recent mishaps and suggest otherwise!

If you asked the man himself I think he would hold his hands up to the second goal although Yakubu should not have been in that position. apart from that I think he has looked very comfortable and believe he just needs a clean sheet to build the confidence - the defence not just John. That save at Anfield was as good as any save I''ve ever seen I still don''t know how it got to it. - and I was sitting in row 8 directly behind the post/crossbar.

Overall I rate Ruddy quite well and I think he is a keeper good enough for us at the moment. However, his aerial ability and handling from crosses is a big concern as he sometimes misses the ball or drops it. In general his positioning has been good so I think the Yakubu goal was a one off.

The reason he got beaten at his near post on Saturday was the fact that he wasn''t set in time. If you watch closely, he hasn''t sorted out his feet by the time the shot comes in, meaning he didn''t have the stable base he needed to get a strong hand to the ball. His shot stopping is clearly his strong point, and Yakubu''s goal isn''t something I''d expect to see repeated regularly. His handling is definitely the more worrying issue.