Sign in to follow this  
exiled blue

huckerby`s lad on school trip to watch man united!!

[quote user="Aggy"]One of my housemates is originally from Manchester and supports United. So, really, I wouldn''t have any objections to this. However, he never gets to go and see them, his uncle or something has managed to get a season ticket which he sometimes borrows, and gets to maybe a game or two every other season. So even when it''s a "legitimate" fan, you still sort of think what''s the point in supporting them?

To the Jewish Cowboy - not sure how it is a case of "little ol'' Norwich" - the club haven''t paid for the school to take their students to a Man Utd game have they? And it''s hardly just Norwich. Every club in the country is out-branded by Man Utd, and most clubs in the world are! It''s different for Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City, but any club who isn''t finishing in the champions league is surely going to have to expect to have a smaller brand than those who have finished in the top 3 for the past twenty years?[/quote]Fair point, I just think we could be more fashionable to the local youngsters than we are now. 

Well, living in exile and getting to very, very few home games I couldn''t say if that was a fair point or not Cowboy. Definitely branding and the like is crucial if you want to establish yourself in the prem.

One thing that springs to mind is the debates that were going on over ticket prices etc a few months back. Should student/childen/oap tickets be cut and all that. You''ve got to get the balance right - and attracting the next generation is crucial.

But at the moment, we seem to be doing alright in that we have consistently been, at the very least, close to capacity for many years now. As I think curly is hinting at above - maybe an extra 10,000 seats or so might free up some tickets for a few more kids to come along....

As a Tax payer, why are schools and more importantly the Ed Dept sending kids to watch any football match?

How about buying some books to educate the little fkers?!

I went on a school trip to Wembley in 1992 to watch England vs France. It was Alan Shearer''s first game for England and he scored in a 2-0 win. It''s probably easier to get group tickets for a Champions League group game at Old Trafford than an England home match these days. It''s certainly easier than getting them for a Premier League game at Carrow Road. I don''t see the problem with such a trip myself.

"I can see your point on this one and I hope your view would be the same had Huckerby''s lad had been bussed up to Eastlands."

my view would be exactly the same. i know that many of you say that huckerby`s lad is a fervent norwich supporter, good on him. but, i`ll bet that at least a couple of kids on a bus of what?, 50? ish will not have been to a game before. irregardless of whose ground it was,it will have been a very special, memorable occasion for them. and there`s a fair chance that they`ll keep an eye on that team`s results for the rest of this season, and that`s how it starts.

i know most on here don`t agree, but , just my opinion, nothing more.

[quote user="Billabong"]As a Tax payer, why are schools and more importantly the Ed Dept sending kids to watch any football match? How about buying some books to educate the little fkers?![/quote]

Do you seriously think Darren Huckerby is sending his lad to a state school?

Anyway, most school trips are paid for by the parents - I should imagine Man U offer cheap tickets for school trips to games they are struggling to sell tickets for.

[quote user="exiled blue"] no wonder so many kids around here walk about with red shirts on!!.[/quote]those shirts are soon turning a light blue.... By the end of the season it will be interesting to see just what shirts kids are wearing....

EB, Hucks Lad goes to Town Close school, which is a private (or is it public?  Fee paying, anyway) school.  Generally the majority of the kids there belong to the very well-off

If they were going anywhere to watch a football match it would be OT - theyve got money (x grand from each kid) to do it and to be honest its probably the most famous club stadium in the country if not the world.  Plus if they get the chance to watch Champions League football its probably the best experience they can have

Jas - I think if anything youre right - just as many kids started wearing Chelsea shirts a few years ago.  When I started following Norwich it was because they were local - and if you wanted to see professional football in these parts it was Norwich or the Binners.  Nowadays with internet streaming, non-stop TV etc its quite possible to support - and be very knowledgeable about - any team esp in the top flight.  20 years from now you''ll probably find the majority of fans will never have been to a live game, especially with rising prices

I think it''s easy to jump to conclusions here. Who cares I am sure the kids enjoyed going to watch Manchester play in the champions league. So many factors we don''t know about to jump to a conclusion that the school consciously decided to boycott the local premier league team.Maybe the organizer was a United fan ? Maybe the kids did a vote ? Maybe that day was the only time that worked with the school timetable ? Maybe Manchester United advertised a good pricing structure ? Maybe a friend of the school sorted it out ? Maybe they couldn''t sort a school trip with NCFC ? Maybe they do trips to NCFC as well ? etc ... etc..

"those shirts are soon turning a light blue.... By the end of the season it will be interesting to see just what shirts kids are wearing...."

i remember when blackburn won the prem. seeing rovers shirts around norwich. not seen one for a few years now!.

as for light blue shirts, it`s only a matter of time i`m afraid.

It''s happening already eb.One has appeared in my local with his light blue shirt on.I am sure he was a Chelsea fan last season[^o)]

"It''s happening already eb.One has appeared in my local with his light blue shirt on.I am sure he was a Chelsea fan last season"

i almost feel like i owe you an apology. on the other hand, although i`m too old/fat now to wear football shirts, having been a `match goer` since about 1979/80, the first person to accuse me of being a `glory-hunter` gets a free smack in the mouth! :)

[quote user="exiled blue"]the point i was making, in my original post was simple. i would be very disappointed if a son of mine, was taken on a school day, such a long distance, to see a game at a premier league rival. running the risk that he may be influenced by what he sees there, and be lost from the pool of potential supporters of my local team. like it or not they are the future of every club. i`m not after scoring any personal points here, nor seeking disagreements with individuals.[/quote]

Sorry but there''s a tad of control freakery in your post. What if your son is influenced by what he sees and decides he wants to support United and not City like his Dad? What''s the difference between you controlling his free will and United trying to influence it? If my son wishes to support Ipswich I have lost a son but he is expressing his free will which is far more important than being without freedom of choice. And no doubt in the fullness of time he will learn through experience that he has made a mistake and will return to the fold. But you can''t force people into patterns of behaviour, the best way of learning is through experience. And the more your son experiences the more he will learn. Even more, he will learn far more through making mistakes.

Boy, wait until he discovers girls!

I think you will find the older Huckerbee is no longer at Town Close but now goes to Langley School. The younger Huckerbee is still at Town Close so think School Trip likely to have been from Langley School.

I went on a school trip to Old Trafford...... To watch England. And it was a really boring 0-0 with Macedonia, however many hours on a coach to watch one of the most boring games I have ever seen, the only plus was it was at Old Trafford.

It doesn''t really make sense going on a trip to watch Man.U, what is the benefit? Ok its a pretty good ground, Man,U are a very good side, but that doesn''t justify the trip at all for me.

In first/middle school, I went on 2/3 school trips to watch Norwich, the headmaster was a Norwich fan so he organised a few, I had already been to a few games I think (fairly sure i went with my Grandad before I went with school, but wasn''t going regularly at that point) and it helped push a few of us into becoming ''proper'' Norwich fans. (I say proper, but I suppose i mean just going to games regularly). Thats what local schools should be doing.

Its not a huge issue I suppose, but its just a bit strange that they have even bothered....