Sign in to follow this  
Reggie Strayshun

International Squad

According to the Beeb,Signor Capello will not be "officially" be announcing the latest England squad today. Apparently the players in it will be "notified" privately. Is this a new idea ? I''ve certainly never heard of this method before. As people like Ruddy and Johnson seem to have a realistic chance of getting in it , how are the rest of us going to find out what''s happened ?

[quote user="lake district canary"]Try the Italian Embassy.......................[/quote]

I did just that, LDC, but they were too busy organising one of Berlusconi''s  "parties".

The initial 30 man squad is confirmed today, with each player notified.

It is only the final squad that is made public, and this will be on Sunday. It was the same for the previous international match too.

Thanks for that CMoK .  Is this preliminary squad of 30 a new thing then ? If Ruddy, Johnno etc have been "notified" are they allowed to spill the beans,or do they have to keep quiet till Sunday , then ?

I thought they always did a preliminary squad, or at least they did for the World Cup, and they last game.

And the squad is never announced on a Friday, it has always been on the Sunday (or maybe Saturday) the week before. Most other countries seem to announce their squad before this?

I''m hoping Spain play a fairly strong side next weekend, as i''m going to the game :)

I think Bradley Johnson was in the previous 30 man squad, and that''s where the speculation came from re England - he got cut for the actual squad to travel though.

I may be wrong, but I think that''s the case.

There is an inital 40 man squad, annouced a week or two before the game. This stops players on the fringes nipping off on a quick holiday or making plans during an International game. This is then whittled down to a 30 man squad a few days before the official squad - this is the players in the 23 and immediate replacements (means 10 players can now go on their holidays), it is unlikely anyone outside this 30 will be in the last squad. Lastly is the 23 man squad who will travel to the game and train together.

It''s always been this way, and I guess the only reason most people have become aware of it is due to Johnson being included in the 40 man squad.