Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

The Holy Trinity

Holt, Hoolahan & Chrissy Martin used to play together so well, they were almost telepathic.

I can''t remember why or when that trio was split up, I just remember the slick one touch passing, between them.

Could they play together now?

That was League One really.

Chris Martin, is probably the one to blame for the demise of the trio.

As much as I rate him, he just didn''t quite make the step up needed last season. Only scoring four goals before he got injured, mean''t Lambert needed to try out other options, and once he was injured that was it for the season. I think Holt''s out of form performances in the early stages of the season didn''t help either, maybe because he wasn''t performing Hoolahan and Martin weren''t as effective, and that effected Martin more. He definatly appears to be a confidence player, I remember the game after he scored one of his goals, he had 3 or 4 shots and after none of them were successful his head dropped a bit and i think that just happened all to often last season for him unfortunately.

It did however, show people how good his link up play etc it, and its probably why he got a surprising couple of starts earlier in the season, but now he''s not even on the bench (anyone know why? He''s not injured I don''t think...or at least wasn''t a couple of weeks ago).

I don''t think the trio will be reunited in the same way this season, unless Morison get injured or out of form and Bennett and Pilks get injured, forcing the change of formation back to the diamond. I would quite like to see Martin play 20 minutes in Hoolahan''s role where he actually gets a chance to play, would be quite interesting. Although maybe he has in training and isn''t good enough?

Basically, Martin''s lack of goals and injuries last season broke them apart, and now we have a new system, in which Holt isn''t even starting. So to see it back again would be a shock. And probably not all that successful anyway....

Yep, certainly some baggage with that young man, be a shame not to see those three on the pitch together again, it was just sublime passing and movement. And importantly that trio produced a lot of goals between them.

I reckon Holty, Morison and Hooly will become to be the new trio - and thats only if PL reverts back to having 2 strikers up front....

Chrissy Martin has been a bit up and down but no doubt he will find himself back in the team before the season if out.

Unfortunately there has always been issues off the pitch with chrissy martin which is sad because he''s actually a decent player. I heard that the ''injury'' that he had last season was not as bad as it was made out and there was again issues off the pitch which meant he wasn''t in PLs first team plans. It would seem that he''s got back into PLs good books since, hence why he''s back in the squad, but unfortunately, as the above poster said, he''ll always have baggage. He could have been a top premier league player as well, maybe he still could be...

Chris Martins a good League 1 player, an average, more than reasonable squad player at Championship level who unfortunately isn''t strong enough or quick enough to be any good in the Premiership!

Yes the off the field baggage doesn''t help him but ultimately the lack of pace and strength means Chris Martin will never be a threat to Premiership defences!

It bemuses me that some people present at the West Brom home game think that Martins performance was good. He can pass the ball sidewards and backwards in tghe middle of the park all day but theirs no cutting edge to all that and West Brom had no pressure on their defence from him!

Chris Martins not anywhere near Premiership standard which is the reason why the holy trinity is no more!  

I''d love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong especially cause hes local (which is why I suspect many people are blinkered about his abilit5y levels) but I think being realistic, if we are to keep progressing and have a longer than one season stay in the top flight then Chris Martin will have to move to another club.

The trinity was successful last season but the step up to the Premier League is huge. Its probably beyond Chris Martin because he''s not quite quick enough and also the diamond has been sacrificed in order to provide a better defensive shape and width.

He may not have scored the goals he should have last season but his performances were for the most part, good.

As with most of the strikers they need games to build confidence. I don''t think Chris Martin has had the run of games to get his confidence up there again. He had limited opportunity last season and this season is up another level. the fact that he was given starts at the beginning of this season shows that PL rates him, but there is a limit to how many chances you can get at this level. Against Stoke he and Holt looked off the pace.

Jackson hasn''t really had his chance to shine yet this season, but look what happened when he got his confidence up last season!

It could be that they will all get their chance again through the season, but it''s up to them to take their chance when it comes. It''s tough at the top and the team can''t afford too many games where strikers are feeling their way in. They have to make theur mark straight away.

Morrison is keeping the others out at the moment, but at least Holty is showing his class again. Maybe the others will too later on. We can but hope so!