Sign in to follow this  
barclay_canary

Norwich City Shares???

Can anyone help.  My mother-in-law has some Norwich City ordinary shares and wants to sell them.  She has spoken to the club and they useless and no help.  she went to a broker and they wouldnt help.  then went to Barclays bank and they said they camnt deal with them.  All she wants to do is sell them on to someone who wants them.   There is 8 shares in 2 groups of 4. (apprently them were issued is 4s)Apparently a year ago they were valued at £30 a share but now city are in the prem they must be worth a tad more.  That is roughly what she wants.  If anyone is interested or can suggest somewhere to move them on then anything would be appreciated. cheers peeps

To be honest, I think you will do well to get anything for them. I am not sure if your Mother-in-Law was aware when she bought them but the share''s the club sold are almost meant to be a token gesture. It was a way of the club earning income for a very specific reason and they appealled to the fans (I can''t remember the specific reason now). They are not shares like you would buy on the stock market and you certainly won''t be able to sell them to a broker. If you are trying to sell them to a fan (I am not sure if you can actually transfer them over to a different person though) your best bet is on here, but for a lot less than the £240 she wants. Or sticking them on eBay and hope you get lucky. But to be honest I can''t think of anyone (even a fan) that will spend more than £30-50 on them. Sorry it''s not better news mate. Although, you could earn massive son-in-law points by buying them off her yourself!

[quote user="anonamoose"]To be honest, I think you will do well to get anything for them. I am not sure if your Mother-in-Law was aware when she bought them but the share''s the club sold are almost meant to be a token gesture. It was a way of the club earning income for a very specific reason and they appealled to the fans (I can''t remember the specific reason now). They are not shares like you would buy on the stock market and you certainly won''t be able to sell them to a broker.

If you are trying to sell them to a fan (I am not sure if you can actually transfer them over to a different person though) your best bet is on here, but for a lot less than the £240 she wants. Or sticking them on eBay and hope you get lucky. But to be honest I can''t think of anyone (even a fan) that will spend more than £30-50 on them.

Sorry it''s not better news mate. Although, you could earn massive son-in-law points by buying them off her yourself!
[/quote]

The above is generally true. But leaves out one serious possibility. Sooner or later Smith and Jones will stop owning the club. And this may come about by someone buying their majority stake. If that happens, whatever price the purchaser pays Smith and Jones (which could be the current £30 or possibly the £25 Foulger seems to have paid for his big tranche) has to be offered to every other shareholder. It is company law.

In that case anyone holding shares bought for £30 might well get their money back (if we forget about inflation...) or something like it. And bear in mind that £30 a share might seem a lot, but only values what is currently a Premier League club with diminishing debts at £18.5m.

Can''t remember their name, but the stockbroker just off Castle Meadow offers a matching service for NCFC shares. People who want some register an interest, people who want to sell do the same, the broker arranges a deal.

Mungo

thanks for the replies.  much appreciated.    The thing is that it seems that Norwich City sold these shares in an attempt to raise some money and in return you get a piece of paper that is worthless.  Surely there was a lot of these things sold at the time so other supporters must also have at some point been curious with the value or what can be done with them.   It seems that everywhere you go they all sneer and say they dont want to know about Norwich City shares.   Very curious????? 

The stockbroker is Cooke & Barrett on London Street ( opposite Barclays Bank)

The shares were sold to financially assist the club in general once and to buy Huckerby the second time I believe.

The shares for Huckerby were sold on the proviso that if we went up they could be sold back to the club, but obviously that was 2003.

I bought some a couple of years ago and the club seemed to know what they were talking about, I''d give that route another go too. :-)

[quote user="barclay_canary"]thanks for the replies.  much appreciated.    The thing is that it seems that Norwich City sold these shares in an attempt to raise some money and in return you get a piece of paper that is worthless.  Surely there was a lot of these things sold at the time so other supporters must also have at some point been curious with the value or what can be done with them.   It seems that everywhere you go they all sneer and say they dont want to know about Norwich City shares.   Very curious????? 
[/quote]

Your mother-in-law may well have bought the shares when there was an issue in the wake of the collapse of ITV Digital. Obviously I can''t speak for her, but I suspect most fans who chipped in then did so purely to aid the club financially at a very difficult time.

I seriously doubt that many thought of it as an investment  on which they would eventually get their money back, let alone make a profit.

Having said that, as I explained earlier, there is one distinctly possible scenario in which fans could get a fair amount back and even break even. Indeed, it is not impossible that they could make a profit, given that the club is certainly not over-valued at the moment and could well be regarded as under-valued if it cements a place in the Premier League.