Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Chris Martin...

Gingerpele"]I don''t care if he''s a local lad, that means nothing to me. I wouldn''t care if our team was full of chinese players, as long as they are good enough I''m happy. ''Getting paid a fortune'' None of our players get paid a fortune.

Maybe not a fortune in Premiership football terms but in relation to the average worker Chris Martin would earn substantially more. If he wasn''t a footballer its unlikely he''d be on more than £400 a week!

I too don''t care where the team members come from as long as there good enough. Chris Martin was superb in League 1, more than reasonable last season but this season not good enough end off!

Well said Ben! 

[quote user="Ben "]Martin isn''t good enough for the Premier League get over it. He wasn''t even a regular scorer in the Championship. League one is his level.[/quote]

He didn''t play for most of it!!If you don''t like him fair enough but don''t try and make him sound awful.He is definitely good enough for the Champs.Prem? Not sure.But as others have mentioned trying him in a more midfield position might work.

Just ignore the windowlickers GP. They all figure that they know how to rate a player because of thier stats on Fifa or Footy manager and have been to one football match in the last 10 years.Martin is certainly a bit out of favour at the moment Re: Supermarket chains, but Lambert realises the potential he has. However, I will add that the fear is that Lambert will get fed up with Martin at some point.As said, hes under positional training and the dog house atm ! Dont expect to see him till post January / End season.

Playing computer games don''t interest me!

Chris Martin has potential, yes to be an average Championship player and good League 1 player, nothing more!

If we stay up I expect him to one of the players shipped out end of the season if hes still about by then!

[quote user="Ben "]Herman - But he did make like 20 odd appearances in the first half of the season? And didn''t score regally when he got a run in the side. A bit like Jackson, but he did at least come good in the end.[/quote]

Fair enough,but how many goals did he set up,how many assists,how many of his goals were winners etc.Yes it''s important but it''s not just about scoring.

where are all the posters from last season who reckoned martin was the best finisher at the club? i said then that apart from his dead ball ability he wasn''t that great, just competently average.

I''m with GP to be honest, I would definately have Martin on the bench over Wilbers. And no Ben, I''m not his bum chum either!

I think there''s a lot of stuff to like about Chris Martin has a player but while Norwich remain a Premier League club I don''t see him having a big part to play.

He''s 23 years of age now. He can''t be excused because of his age anymore, now it''s a question of him making his mark. Pilkington is 23 as well and look at the impact he has made for us in the Prem, you can''t see Martin doing the same.

Assuming he is hungry for first team football I think he could be loaned or sold in January or the summer.

Wilby first replaced Martin on the bench for Swansea. Presumably to use his height if wqe needed a push. I suspect he has stayed on the bench to give Lambert that option if we are chasing a game. That makes the choice on the bench between Jackson and Martin at the moment.

The fact that Martin is not on the bench at the moment says volumes about his value to the squad.

He may well be learning a role to play behind the front two, but you don''t do that overnight and step straight into the premiership. It will be a longer term re-training, dare I say it even into next season when we will hopefully still be in the prem, but who knows.

The long term viability/value of players at a club is important and as we have plenty of strikers he may well be learning and developing longer term.

With that in mind he may not appear again this season - that will give him time to sort whatever problems he has off the field as well as give him a goal while he is out of the team.

Or he could be off in January - but which championship team would take him on? I don''t think he''d want to go to a League 1 team so he may feel he''s better off sticking it out here and sorting himself out - as long as the club still want him.........

He ''could'' have been a cracking PL player if only he''d got his head down and pushed on. Such potential.

Would I have liked him to be PL''s first choice, of course, will he ever be anything better than a Championship player, doubt it sadly.

[quote user="Clint"]I''m with GP to be honest, I would definately have Martin on the bench over Wilbers.

And no Ben, I''m not his bum chum either!
[/quote]

Neither should be on the bench, Martin just falls short, Wilbraham by a mile.

Let''s hope Vaughn is ready soon.

"Let''s hope Vaugn is ready soon".

Well when Vaughan got injured Paul lambert said that he would be out until early 2012, so theres a while yet. For what its worth I think Martin should be given a chance on the bench.

[quote user="lake district canary"]The fact that Martin is not on the bench at the moment says volumes about his value to the squad.

He may well be learning a role to play behind the front two, but you don''t do that overnight and step straight into the premiership. It will be a longer term re-training, dare I say it even into next season when we will hopefully still be in the prem, but who knows.

The long term viability/value of players at a club is important and as we have plenty of strikers he may well be learning and developing longer term.

With that in mind he may not appear again this season - that will give him time to sort whatever problems he has off the field as well as give him a goal while he is out of the team.

Or he could be off in January - but which championship team would take him on? I don''t think he''d want to go to a League 1 team so he may feel he''s better off sticking it out here and sorting himself out - as long as the club still want him.........[/quote]Leeds will take him... and as a makeweight in any cash plus player deal for Snodgrass....I agree with the rest of your post though... i think he might well be off in January, with Vaughan coming back to fitness and the window opening we will be seeing, IMO, Wilbraham, Lappin, Smith, Martin and Drury all moved on with a striker, CB, Goalkeeper and full back bought in.

Personally, I think people are being slightly harsh on Chris Martin here, and I''m wondering why we continue to bash our own players (Tis the British way?) Surely we should be supporting our players regardless. We need a squad this season and I''m sure Martin will play some part in our campaign at some point. If Lambert believes he''s worthy of a squad number then so be it. I do wish we wouldn''t bash our own players. The guy obviously has something, I don''t think he''d still be here if he didn''t.

I''m not being harsh on Chris Martin, just saying it as it it is. Hes not good enough for the Premiership and nothing special at Championship level.

I thought he was great for us in Lague 1 but hasn''t taken that on in higher Divisions. In the top flight hes not quick enough or strong enough to be any good regardless of a suspect atitude and off the field issues!

I only go on about it cause it bemuses me that some blinkered fans on here still think he can make it in the top flight which isn''t going to happen!

grantroederdisaster, maybe just stop and think for a second..

That is your opinion, its not a fact. Yet you seem to keep going on about it as if your definatly right, and everyone else is wrong. He has made the top flight, he''s done more than a hell of a lot of footballers will ever do. He''s put in 3 respectable performances, nothing special but he wasn''t rubbish. He wasn''t rubbish last season, he just wasn''t as good as the season before.

I thought Tierney would be useless this season, didn''t impress me last season, wondered why we bothered buying him, but now he''s amazing.

Ruddy, how many people doubted him?

Grant Holt, has had people write him off this and last season.

Hoolahan a few seasons ago was said to be too much of a luxury player, not good enough etc etc

You think your just ''saying it as it is'' Well no your not. There isn''t a list of players who are good enough and those who aren''t. Chris Martin played in the perfect system for him in League One, it brought out the best in him, and if he manages to push himself a bit more i''m sure he can force his way either into a Norwich side, or decent Championship side and see that best re-created.

He is a good finisher, doesn''t matter that most of his goals were in League One, they were still on the most part, good goals. You don''t just lose that ability. Ok you get more time and space, so what Martin needs to do is work on using the time and space he will get in the Prem/Championship.

I don''t know if these stats exist, but I bet Martin had far fewer shots per game last season, he just didn''t seem to be that confidant for the most part.

Please stop treating your opinion as fact, he''s only 23, his career isn''t over and hasn''t been defined yet. What had Holt, Morison, Hoolahan done at the age of 23? Unless Lambert see''s fit to sell Martin, he''s still a NCFC player, and still part of his plans, maybe not short term, but long term probably....

Hes only 23 doesn''t wear with me cause like another poster says Pilkingtons that age and doing the business!

My opinions on Chris Martin are in my OPINION correct cause I see all the games whether live or on TV. I say what I see with my eyes which aren''t blinkered by Yellow and green tinted glasses.

Ruddy - I never doubted him and my blood boils when people slag him. If he was as bad as some fans make out we wouldn''t of got promoted!

Holt - Is limited at this level but is doing a job, is a handful and is still an integral part of our team. Coincidentally things that Chris Martin isn''t at this level!

Hoolahan - Quality player who cna be a luxury at times but I''d rather have hi in the team than not cause we''re better with him in!

Tierney - I was unsure off this season but has so far been good!

I trust my opinion more than most on here!

Ginger pele you normally speak a lot of sense but in the case of Chris Martin you are miles from the truth.

Believe me I hope that Martin proves me wrong but in all probability it isn''t going to happen!

Your comment on Ruddy, can you not see that your criticism causes the same reaction for me, and many others?

Yes Pilks is doing a great job at 23, but I''ll go back to Holt and Morison, what were they doing at 23?

Obviously your going to trust your own opinion over everyone else''s on here, because its your opinion and its what you believe. I''m not saying Martin is world class, i''m not even saying Martin definatly will make it in the Prem or Championship, but it just really annoys me that you and a few others think you can write him off because he''s too slow or too weak (on the too weak aspect, didn''t appear to be against Stoke, most physical side in the league...). I just don''t think you can be certain he has no future at NCFC, or won''t do something of note in the Prem or Championship.

I don''t really care if my posts cause a reaction as long as I''m saying things as they and not being derogatory then it doesn''t matter. Plenty of people put absolute squit on here that gets a reaction, I''m the opposite saying the absolute truth that doesn''t always suit well with others!

Believe me after watching Norwich for well over 50 years I can tell if someones got it or not!

Chris Martin isn''t a Premiership standard player which is why his spell in the team didn''t last long, and will probably be moved on sooner rather than later especially if we stay up. I''d put him in the same current boat as the likes of Ward, Surman, Lappin, Drury - Been good for the club in the past but the club has outgrown their level.

Being a Norwich fanatic I want every Norwich to produce the goods so on that mark I hope Chris Martin proves me wrong and then if I''m still about I''ll come on here and say how unbelievable someone who didn''t look like making it in the Premiership has done so!

''I don''t really care if my posts cause a reaction as long as I''m saying things as they and not being derogatory then it doesn''t matter. Plenty of people put absolute squit on here that gets a reaction, I''m the opposite saying the absolute truth that doesn''t always suit well with others!

Believe me after watching Norwich for well over 50 years I can tell if someones got it or not! ''

Right....

See what I mean when I said your acting as if your opinion is fact.

This might sound childish or immature, but i''m not going to be discussing this any further with you, for someone who has been watching football for so long, and must have seen so many things happen in the footballing world, your attitude is terrible.

Sorry.

Tell you what Ginger Pele, lets have this Chris Martin arguement/discussion in a years time and see who was right!

I''m not slow to admit when I was wrong about something and if Chris Martin starts doing the business for us in the Premiership I''ll be on here singing his praises and admitting I was wrong!

Terrible atitude!!!!!

Oh my God!!!

Didn''t want to reply again, but it seems that you have not actually read anything i have said.

I HAVE NOT SAID CHRIS MARTIN WILL HAVE MADE IT IN A YEARS TIME

He is 23, he has 10 or so years left as a professional football. I have not claimed he will be a premiership player in a years time, I have simply said he may still have a part to play at Norwich, and if not he will do in the Championship.

Yeah but if C Martins does nothing in the next year then the chances of him producing the goods after that for us will be virtually nill!

We had a similar scanario on a lesser scale with Ryan Jarvis ( who wasn''t anywhere near as good as Chris Martin and didn''t do a quarter of what Martin did for us)a few years back when he was meantr to be the best thing since sliced bread yet those with a good eye for a player could see he was too lightweight to ever make the grade!

This is getting very tedious like it got a while back on another Chris Martin thread when I was accused of having an unhealthy obsession with him!

Yet while all this arguing keeps goes on about the man, he is featuring less and less for the 1st team which makes my opinions closer to the truth than those who think he can still make it in the top flight!!!