Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

England squad

not slating Ruddy at all but when you look at the stats he has conceded 6 goals in the last two games so not looking that great on paper at the moment.

England goalkeeping setup has been a joke for years. Doubt Ruddy would be in if he''d have kept 3 clean sheets on the trot.

As it goes, if anyone in the Norwich squad deserves an England call it''s Pilkington.

Tierney hasn''t even been in an Ireland squad yet has he?

There was just talks that he might be..

And Pilks, is English but has played 1 Under 21 game for RoI, but could still potentially play for England....

Ruddy is not ready for international but neither are carson or stockdale. Joe hart only good enough english keeper at the moment.

Carson and Stockdale won''t get in the team so it doesn''t matter too much. It''ll matter moreso when the Euros come round and World Cup qualifying starts! Ruddy has the whole season to impress...!

It will but surely now is the time to start blooding your back up players. Esp keeper. We need someone pushing hart. Also being in the squad now is good experience for ruddy just training with englands best. This in my eyes will only better him not hinder ...

England''s ''keepers shouldn''t be selected on how many goals they concede. It''s not reasonable to do so unless the goals they''re conceding are down to their mistakes. The best ''keepers in the world would ship boat loads with an awful defence in front of them.You want several things between the sticks...off the top of my head:Shot stoppingConfident handling and claiming of crossesCommunication with the back 4Good distributionRuddy''s problem at the moment is the question marks on his handling. I''m pretty sure it''s a mental thing. I doubt you see the handling errors he makes on match days when he''s at Colney.Rob Green conceded plenty at West Ham, but was still No. 1 for the World Cup. What happened next is history, of course, but it reinforces my point.

I can''t ever see Ruddy being picked under Capello, but Ruddy isn''t international class. Hart has no real competition, so it doesn''t matter who is England number 2 or 3, they won''t get a game (except friendly).

You would easily place Rob Green above Ruddy, even though both are inconsistent. It''s a shame Robinson retired from England duty, though I can see his point of view.

I tend to agree that Ruddy is a solid keeper but not international class, but then outside of Hart who is for England?

As for the other mentioned here for England, lets not get carried away, the likes of Tierney, Johnson are nowhere near international class either.

Let''s keep them far away from potential injury and be happy that they haven''t been picked for meaningless internationals.

More the worry is that come next summer you can see that the same players who have let us down over the past few tournaments will be the core of the team again.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart.

Defenders: Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, John Terry.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner.

Strikers: Wayne Rooney, Jermain Defoe

Will any manager have the guts to go with without Rooney, stupid idiot that he is, Lampard , Gerrard, do they really deserve another chance, both into their 30’s, Terry, & Ferdinand both well past their best and the rest never really rated as international class.

So what is the future, where are the players to win this European Championship next year.

What would your starting 11 be next summer?

I sure as hell can’t name you a starting 11 which I believe will win this tournament.

Hard to name a team that will win it simply because Spain are so much better us right now. Personally think Lampard is having a good season so far. I''d also only ever start one of Lampard and Gerrard.

I still don''t think we will genuinely be competing for an international title until 2018.

[quote user="QHcanary"]England''s ''keepers shouldn''t be selected on how many goals they concede. It''s not reasonable to do so unless the goals they''re conceding are down to their mistakes. The best ''keepers in the world would ship boat loads with an awful defence in front of them.You want several things between the sticks...off the top of my head:Shot stoppingConfident handling and claiming of crossesCommunication with the back 4Good distributionRuddy''s problem at the moment is the question marks on his handling. I''m pretty sure it''s a mental thing. I doubt you see the handling errors he makes on match days when he''s at Colney.Rob Green conceded plenty at West Ham, but was still No. 1 for the World Cup. What happened next is history, of course, but it reinforces my point.

[/quote]

As much as I like Ruddy and think he has generally done well for us this season I think that being brutally honest there are more question marks than just his handling. He makes some greta saves but for me I am still not 100% confident that he has full command of his area/defence and feel he still lets in some shots i would expect him to save such as Yakubu''s for Blackburn which, whatever people say about how well it was struck, he should have saved.

I don''t think Stockdale or Carson are particularly great either but for me Ruddy is not up to England standard yet and frankly i think elevating him to that level now would do more harm than good.

[quote user="Indy"]More the worry is that come next summer you can see that the same players who have let us down over the past few tournaments will be the core of the team again.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart.

Defenders: Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, John Terry.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner.

Strikers: Wayne Rooney, Jermain Defoe

Will any manager have the guts to go with without Rooney, stupid idiot that he is, Lampard , Gerrard, do they really deserve another chance, both into their 30’s, Terry, & Ferdinand both well past their best and the rest never really rated as international class.

So what is the future, where are the players to win this European Championship next year.

What would your starting 11 be next summer?

I sure as hell can’t name you a starting 11 which I believe will win this tournament.[/quote]

Personally I think any manager would be idiotic not to pick Rooney if he available but i agree with you on Ferdinand and Lampard. Leaving aside the racism furore I would also drop Terry on current form anyway.

The squad for next summer (and beyond) should be built around young, up and coming players. It will never happen but we should just accept we are not going to win Euro 2012 and build for 2 tournaments time. Give the following 3 years playing regularly together leading up to the next world cup and we might have half a chance!

Hart

Smalling

Jones

Jagielka

Cahill

Richards

Walker

Cole

Gibbs

Parker

Milner

Young

Wilshere

Barry

Lennon

Oxlade Chamberlain

Pilkington

Rooney

Bent

Agbonlahor

Defoe

Welbeck

Sturridge

Sure there are a few others I have missed out but that lot is a decent start.