Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

What were some of you expecting?

[quote user="a1canary"]Drop Barnett, replace him with The Doc! (where is the doc these days?)[/quote]

Isn''t it obvious? The rugby tackle and the back pass suggest he''s our defensive coach[:O]

[;)]

More to the point, who in our present team do you see as a good scapegoat[:^)]

So many posts seem to disintegrate into an argument nowadays. We are all on each other''s side, agreements or not, surely.

Answer to the O/P''s question:

From what we have seen so far, I expect us to just scrape it re: avoiding the dreaded drop.

We could escape more comfortably if the "help" that Lambert says he is aiming to get during the next window, improves a lot on some of our obvious weaknesses.

"Funny you should mention intelligence because you clearly have none and have clearly missed the reasoning behind my post!"

I must be missing something! I''ve re-read your first post. Your irony, if that is what it is is a bit too obscure for my poor unintelligent brain.

Are you objecting to nutty''s post or not???

I can''t be the only one who hasn''t got it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Unrealistic expectation can start a rot at a football club. We have seen how that works. The atmosphere of negativity can go right through the club. We are nowhere near that now but take a look at Blackburn. The manager and players operate in a siege inviroment where they are trying to succeed in spite of the fans. I would never want to see that at our club again.[/quote]

I don''t think their is an unrealistic expectation, I don''t think there will be ''Lambert out'' campaigns if we get relegated. I think people just need to have something to complain about. If you just accept that our defence is going to leak goals etc etc etc then everything becomes a bit more dull....

I might be making wrong assumptions, but I really don''t think anyone is genuinely upset/disappointed/angry at the Villa result, as I said in my earlier post pretty much everyone is going to be delighted with our current position and progression. There is three outcomes really for this season, one we start to lose more and more games and end up relegated or very near to relegation, two we carry on like we have done so far and stay in great position, or three we go on to do even better and easily finish top half of the table. Now under Lambert I simply cannot write off the top half of the table option, because he has already over achieved twice, you only have to look at McNally''s 7 year plan to see that, Lambert is way ahead of schedule, and to be honest it really wouldn''t be a huge shock if we do finish high up the table.

And thats what people want, it may be unrealistic, but the fans want as good results as possible, and while we are making what surely can be said to be far too many defensive mistakes, there is something to moan about. If every result we got this season was done so playing to our best, with little or no mistakes, then there wouldn''t be as much moaning. And again, maybe unrealistically people expect more, our attacking play on the whole has been very good, and at times we have been pretty solid defensively, so when were let down by a dodgy back pass or poor marking, that undoes all that good attacking play, its simply too much to ask for people not to moan....

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

"Barnett needs dropping" "Hoolahan needs dropping" "We can''t keep a clean sheet" "Defensively sieve like" "Too many bookings" "Holt shouldn''t start" "Drop Bennett" "Naughton isn''t good enough" "Hoolahan is disinterested and doesn''t care"

And my favourite of all is the jealousy of Swansea''s clean sheets. "Swansea have kept 5 clean sheets" We are above Swansea on goal difference! We also beat them 3-1!! One of their clean sheets was a 0-0 draw at  home to Sunderland!! Yet they have more clean sheets so are somehow better than us?? You couldn''t make it up!

Top half of the Premier League after 11 games. Not some mini league of so-called fellow relegation candidates. A goal difference better than 9 others in that same league even though we''ve already played Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool away. What more were some of you expecting?

We need to believe in Paul Lambert and the team. Not let expectation sour our relationship with the players. Some of whom have taken us from the bottom of League One to the top half of the Premier League. They have earnt our support because they''ve never yet failed us. Unless your expectations were greater than their achievements. I believe, with our support they will continue to surpass realistic expectations of any fan.

[/quote]

BINNER

[/quote][Y][;)][Y]

"At last, a sensible post following Saturday''s "disapointing " defeat by Aston Villa with their multi million pound players and full internationals. "

What a stupid argument. If we should just accept a loss because the opposition have spent more than we have over the past few years of putting a squad together, then we''d be happy to be sitting 19th in the division? Ridiculous argument.

We''ve got to where we are in the league so far beating more expensively-assembled sides, and holding our own against really expensive world class sides such as Man Utd and Liverpool.

If we lose ANY game this season, I won''t be saying "oh well, they''ve spent more than us", I''ll be wanting a proper reason. On Saturday that reason was most obviously a sloppy individual mistake from Barnett, slight outnumbering in the centre of the park, and not defending the flanks very well. All things that can easily be sorted, and I''m sure they will be. Doesn''t mean they don''t need flagging up from the Villa performance though.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Harry"]norfolkbroadslim I think you will find that Nutty is allowed an opinion as much as you are, he hasn''t said anywhere in his post that people shouldn''t start critical posts, he was giving his opinion on the amount of critical posts that have sprung up over the last couple of days. To me your response looks more like forum police as you don''t agree with nutty''s opinion.[/quote]

Touche!

So I am forum police because you THINK I don''t agree with Nutty! 

So, in your most humble opinion I am allowed an opinion just like Nutty is, but because my opinion MAY differ from Nutty''s, I am the forum police? 

Are you serious?  That is completely illogical!

[/quote]I never said you were Forum Police, I said "To me your response looks more like forum police"

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Unrealistic expectation can start a rot at a football club. We have seen how that works. The atmosphere of negativity can go right through the club. We are nowhere near that now but take a look at Blackburn. The manager and players operate in a siege inviroment where they are trying to succeed in spite of the fans. I would never want to see that at our club again.[/quote]

I don''t think their is an unrealistic expectation, I don''t think there will be ''Lambert out'' campaigns if we get relegated. I think people just need to have something to complain about. If you just accept that our defence is going to leak goals etc etc etc then everything becomes a bit more dull.... I might be making wrong assumptions, but I really don''t think anyone is genuinely upset/disappointed/angry at the Villa result, as I said in my earlier post pretty much everyone is going to be delighted with our current position and progression. There is three outcomes really for this season, one we start to lose more and more games and end up relegated or very near to relegation, two we carry on like we have done so far and stay in great position, or three we go on to do even better and easily finish top half of the table. Now under Lambert I simply cannot write off the top half of the table option, because he has already over achieved twice, you only have to look at McNally''s 7 year plan to see that, Lambert is way ahead of schedule, and to be honest it really wouldn''t be a huge shock if we do finish high up the table. And thats what people want, it may be unrealistic, but the fans want as good results as possible, and while we are making what surely can be said to be far too many defensive mistakes, there is something to moan about. If every result we got this season was done so playing to our best, with little or no mistakes, then there wouldn''t be as much moaning. And again, maybe unrealistically people expect more, our attacking play on the whole has been very good, and at times we have been pretty solid defensively, so when were let down by a dodgy back pass or poor marking, that undoes all that good attacking play, its simply too much to ask for people not to moan....[/quote]

Is it because it''s me that posted that so many replies seem to be about something I haven''t posted. I agree with everything you have posted GP buddy.

I was quite specific in my opening post. For instance I didn''t question the rational critiscisms such as "Is it time to recall DeLaet". Surely that''s what the forum is for. The replies from the likes of Indy and Broadslim don''t really relate to anything I posted. But they are entitled to read anything they want into my post if it makes them happy.

Being a football fan is all about having opinions, Be them right or wrong it doesn''t really matter. Football fans will always debate weather the team selection or formation is right. it passes endless hours in the pub or at work and It does no harm. It doesn''t mean you are not fully behind the manager or players. Is this not exactly what a football discussion forum is for?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

"Barnett needs dropping" "Hoolahan needs dropping" "We can''t keep a clean sheet" "Defensively sieve like" "Too many bookings" "Holt shouldn''t start" "Drop Bennett" "Naughton isn''t good enough" "Hoolahan is disinterested and doesn''t care"

[/quote]

Bit harsh, I thought we were having quite a good season so far.

And my favourite of all is the jealousy of Swansea''s clean sheets. "Swansea have kept 5 clean sheets" We are above Swansea on goal difference! We also beat them 3-1!! One of their clean sheets was a 0-0 draw at  home to Sunderland!! Yet they have more clean sheets so are somehow better than us?? You couldn''t make it up!

Top half of the Premier League after 11 games. Not some mini league of so-called fellow relegation candidates. A goal difference better than 9 others in that same league even though we''ve already played Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool away. What more were some of you expecting?

We need to believe in Paul Lambert and the team. Not let expectation sour our relationship with the players. Some of whom have taken us from the bottom of League One to the top half of the Premier League. They have earnt our support because they''ve never yet failed us. Unless your expectations were greater than their achievements. I believe, with our support they will continue to surpass realistic expectations of any fan.

[/quote]

Great post Nutty [:)]

Nutty, to your question, "What was I expecting?", quite frankly you may recall as the season commenced I was expecting that our defence would make mistakes that many of the more talented players in the Premier League would jump on. Therefore, what occurred on Saturday was not a surprise to me, indeed, I expect to see more of it. What has been a surprise to me is how well the boys have done up to this point. I realise that many of the recent threads opining on who should be dropped/who should be recalled is good fun for those who wish to engage in such discussion. For me, however, I believe that the fellows we have in the squad for centre backs and full backs are fairly even in quality and Lambert''s management skills will be the catalyst to maintain healthy competition so that one or two push for an edge. Regardless of who we start in those positions, on days when the talented forwards in opposition are really on their game we are going to make our share of mistakes and it will be difficult for us to get something from such games. On other days when we execute in a highly disciplined manner we may be able to get something off the top teams even. This is what I expect ongoing throughout this season.

[="nutty nigel"]

Well said Nutty Nigel!

While its obvious the team have got negative issues particularly the defence, it was inevitable we would lose more than few games this season!

I think we have to wise up and strengthen up in January both up front and at the back but I still think we''re doing more than OK!

How very dare you... suggest i saw the Doc as a scapegoat!

Anyway, in answer to your question Leon is the new Doc... ;)

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Nutty, to your question, "What was I expecting?", quite frankly you may recall as the season commenced I was expecting that our defence would make mistakes that many of the more talented players in the Premier League would jump on. Therefore, what occurred on Saturday was not a surprise to me, indeed, I expect to see more of it. What has been a surprise to me is how well the boys have done up to this point. I realise that many of the recent threads opining on who should be dropped/who should be recalled is good fun for those who wish to engage in such discussion. For me, however, I believe that the fellows we have in the squad for centre backs and full backs are fairly even in quality and Lambert''s management skills will be the catalyst to maintain healthy competition so that one or two push for an edge. Regardless of who we start in those positions, on days when the talented forwards in opposition are really on their game we are going to make our share of mistakes and it will be difficult for us to get something from such games. On other days when we execute in a highly disciplined manner we may be able to get something off the top teams even. This is what I expect ongoing throughout this season.[/quote]

I remember what you said Yankee and it was a shrewd judgement which has been proved right. I also agree with your assessment of our defence. It''s going to be the best unit the Lambert can put togther rather than the best four defenders. This team ethic is something that us fans don''t always consider. Despite a couple of glaring mistakes I thought DeLaet was one of our better defenders early season. But Lambert decided to take a look at Martin in the centre and the unit functioned better. The change, at the time, I believe was forced on Lambert because of the game coming up at Old Trafford when De Laet couldn''t play. Otherwise I think he''s loathe to change the back 5 without very good reason because the more a unit plays together the more effective they become. I doubt Barnett will be dropped after Saturday but we shall see.

What I think none of us were expecting is the more open play generally in this seasons Premier League. There have been nearly 50 more goals scored than the same stage last season. Or to put it another way nearly 50 more goals conceded!! The fact that we have a goal difference of -2 points to us coping better defensively than many of us expected. As I said earlier Swanseas 5 clean sheets aren''t a lot of good if they''re beneath us on goal difference.

Is it just me or am I being over simplistic but we''ve been playing attacking football, which we''ve been complimented on. We''ve enjoyed our never say die attitude but that''s come at a price of leaving our defence exposed to quick breaks, the pace and accuracy of our opponents and whilst it is true that we''ve had the odd blooper it is largely down to our stage of evolution, money and our style of play that we all promote and enjoy. We just can''t have our cake and eat it at the moment but I''m loving our style.

Expectations?

To do better than last time under that Worthington fella. And my, my........  aren''t we ahead of target so far.

[:D]

OTBC

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Unrealistic expectation can start a rot at a football club. We have seen how that works. The atmosphere of negativity can go right through the club. We are nowhere near that now but take a look at Blackburn. The manager and players operate in a siege inviroment where they are trying to succeed in spite of the fans. I would never want to see that at our club again.[/quote]

I don''t think their is an unrealistic expectation, I don''t think there will be ''Lambert out'' campaigns if we get relegated. I think people just need to have something to complain about. If you just accept that our defence is going to leak goals etc etc etc then everything becomes a bit more dull.... I might be making wrong assumptions, but I really don''t think anyone is genuinely upset/disappointed/angry at the Villa result, as I said in my earlier post pretty much everyone is going to be delighted with our current position and progression. There is three outcomes really for this season, one we start to lose more and more games and end up relegated or very near to relegation, two we carry on like we have done so far and stay in great position, or three we go on to do even better and easily finish top half of the table. Now under Lambert I simply cannot write off the top half of the table option, because he has already over achieved twice, you only have to look at McNally''s 7 year plan to see that, Lambert is way ahead of schedule, and to be honest it really wouldn''t be a huge shock if we do finish high up the table. And thats what people want, it may be unrealistic, but the fans want as good results as possible, and while we are making what surely can be said to be far too many defensive mistakes, there is something to moan about. If every result we got this season was done so playing to our best, with little or no mistakes, then there wouldn''t be as much moaning. And again, maybe unrealistically people expect more, our attacking play on the whole has been very good, and at times we have been pretty solid defensively, so when were let down by a dodgy back pass or poor marking, that undoes all that good attacking play, its simply too much to ask for people not to moan....[/quote]

Is it because it''s me that posted that so many replies seem to be about something I haven''t posted. I agree with everything you have posted GP buddy.

I was quite specific in my opening post. For instance I didn''t question the rational critiscisms such as "Is it time to recall DeLaet". Surely that''s what the forum is for. The replies from the likes of Indy and Broadslim don''t really relate to anything I posted. But they are entitled to read anything they want into my post if it makes them happy.

[/quote]

I am happy to have an opinion, yes.  What you have assumed though Nutty is that my post was directed entirely at the OP (you) and it wasn''t.

I''ve lost count now of the number times on here that I have read things saying (directly or indirectly) - "yes, people are entitled to their own opinion, but......... "

IMHO I do think that you have questioned some rational opinions -

"We can''t keep a clean sheet" - Where is the crime in wanting your team to keep some clean sheets?  What is irrational about this? Yet you follow it up with -

"And my favourite of all is the jealousy of Swansea''s clean sheets. "Swansea have kept 5 clean sheets" We are above Swansea on goal difference! We also beat them 3-1!! One of their clean sheets was a 0-0 draw at home to Sunderland!! Yet they have more clean sheets so are somehow better than us?? You couldn''t make it up!"

This is your favourite? Favourite how, because you think it so ridiculous? Even more so than - "Hoolahan is disinterested and doesn''t care"?  Do you not want Norwich to keep clean sheets?

"Holt shouldn''t start" - What on earth is so horrific about this that you deemed it necessary to include it in this thread? 

"Naughton isn''t good enough" - is this an irrational opinion? How was it justified? Is he definitely good enough then? Would it be rational in your opinion therefore for someone to start a thread saying that "Naughton IS good enough"?

Can one justifiably deem posts as rational or irrational just from the thread titles?

"Drop Bennett" "Barnett needs dropping" "Hoolahan needs dropping" - Critical? - yes definitely; Irrational? - if there is a reasoned arguement behind these opinions, then no. Equally one could argue that posts advocating NOT dropping the above are irrational.

"Defensively sieve like"  - May sound harsh, to me it does.  However, it is a thread title and when you look at what the OP has posted in their first post, is not irrational in my opinion. Bearing in my mind the OP I believe lives in Australia their post is completey reasonable.  Perhaps their thread title is missing a question mark or quotation marks, as is evidenced from the first line of their post their post is based on lots of reviews they have read, where every review has "panned" our defence.  The OP then goes on to ask very valid questions and not to slate our team.

"Too many bookings" - Critical yet again.  Statistics can help in this case though (I''ve not looked at them), to show whether the post is rational or not.

"Hoolahan is disinterested and doesn''t care" - Critical? - yes very.  Irrational (basing this purely on the thread title) yes!

My opinions -

"We can''t keep a clean sheet" - Well we can''t keep a clean sheet this season, that is a fact.  Swansea promoted through the playoffs are a very justifiable benchmark for us in terms of where they have come from and what they have spent on their squad and we are both pretty much identical in where we sit in the league this season, the difference being Swansea''s goal difference is one worse than ours.  While I recognise that in spite of Swansea''s 5 clean sheets their goal difference is still worse than ours, the fact still remains that Swansea have managed to keep clean sheets in nearly half of their league games where as we haven''t managed one.  This means that we have had to score at least 2 goals in every game to get a win or 1 to get a draw.  Should the goals start to dry up and if the defence is still struggling to keep clean sheets, then we will find it difficult to pick up any points, this is my concern.  I think Lambert would be delighted with a couple of clean sheets.

"Holt shouldn''t start" - I think Holt has done enough recently to justify a start however I think playing 5 in midfield is the way to go against Arsenal so if that ultimately means that Holt doesn''t start that game then fine.  I would like to see Holt given a chance as the lone striker again though but if it''s working with Morison then do we need to fix it?

"Naughton isn''t good enough" - He obviously has talent, but at times his defending is a bit suspect.  I am not slating him for this (he is young and still learning), but equally it would be wrong to use this as a reason to turn a blind eye to any shortcomings and just keep him in the team no matter what. With our defensive injuries the alternatives are few, however I would reshuffle the defence to include De Laet against Arsenal.

"Drop Bennett" "Barnett needs dropping" "Hoolahan needs dropping"  -  Personally I would drop Bennett down to the bench.  I would not drop Barnett and I would certainly not drop Wesley.

"Defensively sieve like" - No I would not say that but I am starting to get a bit concerned at our lack of clean sheets, the number of goals conceded recently and our recent defensive performances.

"Too many bookings" - This has not even crossed my mind as being an issue.

For me the worst thread title of that lot by far is - "Hoolahan is disinterested and doesn''t care" - I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.  I think it is shocking that someone could genuinely, think, believe or say such a thing.

It''s like in some cases, how dare you be critical, remember where we were 2 years ago!!!

Criticism can have it''s problems but likewise so can blind acceptance.

Nutty, it is possible to be critical yet still believe in Paul Lambert and the team.

I don''t believe that I am over critical and I certainly haven''t lost sight of, or forgotten where we have come from and I am delighted with where we are now. Likewise, I don''t believe that one should justify issues, with, for example ''well, look at where we have come from, we should pretty much just accept anything''.  Once you have achieved success is not wrong to want to maintain this or want it to get better even, however I do believe that having expectations that are too unrealistic can cause problems - Newcastle United''s recent history, being a perfect case in point.

[:)]

I''m not playing Slim....

That post is too full of waffle even for me to join in!

[/quote]

And to think that your old pal Tilly attempted to excoriate me the other day for commenting about what pots call kettles sometimes............

So I''ll leave it alone this time and go for a dip instead.

[ip]

OTBC

Speaking as someone who lives some distance from Norfolk, and only gets to 6 or 7 games a season, I rely greatly on this site for inside info on NCFC. The thing I like about it is that ,in the main, there are no bully-boy tactics, a wide variety of opinions are allowed, stated rationally,and debated in a calm , reasoned manner.  Compare that with a whole host of forums (not just football) where there are insults and threats, posts get deleted, and posters get banned frequently.

Maybe I''m just being naive, and all this sort of malarkey goes on behind the scenes and gets edited out by the Mods, but somehow , I doubt it. I guess what I, and a number of others are saying, is that as long as an opinion is voiced in a constructive manner, then why should it be dismissed by the forum "regulars" ?

Football is all about opinions and looking at different angles. PL is a shining example of this. He did not take the cosy route into management. He studied different ways of doing things and opinions in Germany etc. Which goes a long way to explaining why his career so far has been a pretty successful one.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

Speaking as someone who lives some distance from Norfolk, and only gets to 6 or 7 games a season, I rely greatly on this site for inside info on NCFC. The thing I like about it is that ,in the main, there are no bully-boy tactics, a wide variety of opinions are allowed, stated rationally,and debated in a calm , reasoned manner.  Compare that with a whole host of forums (not just football) where there are insults and threats, posts get deleted, and posters get banned frequently.

Maybe I''m just being naive, and all this sort of malarkey goes on behind the scenes and gets edited out by the Mods, but somehow , I doubt it. I guess what I, and a number of others are saying, is that as long as an opinion is voiced in a constructive manner, then why should it be dismissed by the forum "regulars" ?

Football is all about opinions and looking at different angles. PL is a shining example of this. He did not take the cosy route into management. He studied different ways of doing things and opinions in Germany etc. Which goes a long way to explaining why his career so far has been a pretty successful one.

[/quote]

I should avoid any threads started by me then Eric. I attract all kinds of lunatics who will tear my opinion to shreds. This thread seems to offend so many of them but I don''t understand why.

Well, Nigel, if you think that some of your detractors on here are "lunatics", then you clearly have not had occasion to visit some of the expat sites forums here in France and Spain ! Believe me, Pink Un forum is a haven of sanity compared to some of the screwball weirdos  that infest the "Anglo" sites here. They bypass the "tearing opinion to shreds" stage and head straight for the threats, name calling , and insults.

Don''t worry, I''ve no intention of avoiding your or anyone else''s threads. I''ve been a lurker here for a while now, but recently have felt confident enough to post. So far I''ve not been threatened, which is a new experience......

I did Ruddy. I was just having a little fun with Eric.

Eric, I lurked for ages before I posted on here. Got "beat up" a few times by some regulars when I first posted. But I reckon this is the best Norwich forum by a long chalk. You have to have your wits about you and be a bit thick skinned if you want to mix it with some. But it''s not the "bed of vipers" some would have you believe.

The new Rays Funds thread will be up tomorrow and we''d all love you to take part.

. You have to have your wits about you and be a bit thick skinned if you want to mix it with some. But it''s not the "bed of vipers" some would have you believe.

The new Rays Funds thread will be up tomorrow and we''d all love you to take part.

[/quote]

May well do, Nige. Thanks for the invite. I think that there are so many threads on here, that I quite frankly do not have time to trawl through them all. So ,perhaps I may have missed some of the "vipers" you refer to.  But, in all , I''m pretty thick skinned. For example,there has been some cross border shenanigans between a forum here in Perpignan and another in nearby Montpellier that makes the stuff that goes on between the Fine City and 1p5wich look like a vicarage tea party. It all got so childish that I gave up. Never seen anything approaching that here, I''m glad to say.

[quote user="lake district canary"]He who shouts the longest isn''t necessarily the loudest.......[/quote]

A quality response young man. Where exactly was I shouting?