Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

What were some of you expecting?

"Barnett needs dropping" "Hoolahan needs dropping" "We can''t keep a clean sheet" "Defensively sieve like" "Too many bookings" "Holt shouldn''t start" "Drop Bennett" "Naughton isn''t good enough" "Hoolahan is disinterested and doesn''t care"

And my favourite of all is the jealousy of Swansea''s clean sheets. "Swansea have kept 5 clean sheets" We are above Swansea on goal difference! We also beat them 3-1!! One of their clean sheets was a 0-0 draw at  home to Sunderland!! Yet they have more clean sheets so are somehow better than us?? You couldn''t make it up!

Top half of the Premier League after 11 games. Not some mini league of so-called fellow relegation candidates. A goal difference better than 9 others in that same league even though we''ve already played Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool away. What more were some of you expecting?

We need to believe in Paul Lambert and the team. Not let expectation sour our relationship with the players. Some of whom have taken us from the bottom of League One to the top half of the Premier League. They have earnt our support because they''ve never yet failed us. Unless your expectations were greater than their achievements. I believe, with our support they will continue to surpass realistic expectations of any fan.

Probably word for word what I''ve been thinking but couldn''t be arsed putting into a thread. Good show Nutty.....I just don''t know who should be more worried that we agree, you or me!

At last, a sensible post following Saturday''s "disapointing " defeat by Aston Villa with their multi million pound players and full internationals.

Even experienced full backs and centre halves make mistakes (Ferdinand and Terry have been poor this season). As long as they learn from the mistakes, and i am confident that PL will make sure that they do so, they will only get stronger.

Some of the players may not yet be "good enough", but they are giving it a good go and we should be proud of that, not slagging of individuals who make the odd mistake.

I can''t get my head around the fact that after scoring 2 goals away from home some people are adamant that our attacking players need to be changed?

Any team in the Premier League should be satisfied at getting two goals away from home in any fixture.

We lost because we conceded three, not because we didn''t score enough. And in defence to our back four, Barnett has been quality most of the season and made a once or twice in a lifetime howler that happens to the majority of centre-backs in their career. And Villa''s first goal only came to be after the referee and his assistant decided to allow Warnock to charged down a clearance with an arm in a move that an egg-chaser would have been delighted with.

I agree with NN, LDC and everyone else who has commented on this thread.

We need to back the boys both on and off the pitch and get behind them when we play Arsenal and every other game for that matter.

So what if Barnett did a back pass?, we are only human and he has been a good defender for us this season, the same goes for Naughton.

I would feel sorry for Barnetts confidence if he was to read this forum in fact I would feel sorry for any player if they read any of the posts on here.

We just got promoted and are still finding out feet, look where we were two years ago, League 1 and looking in mighty trouble, but all of that has been turned around, there is still plenty of this season left to go. Plenty more points up for grabs.

So lets get behind the boys for every game and not slate them if they do have an off game.

OTBC!

I''d agree with all of that LDC (and NN) . Now is not the time to start having a go at individual players, let alone Lambert .

That said, however, we mustn''t take a ostrich in the sand approach and pretend that there are no problems, or nothing could be improved. Forums are about opinions, and so long as they are constructive, then that''s all to the good . Blackpool stuck with the same approach last season, even when it was clear it was not working...and look what happened to them !

But, I''d agree that the "Drop Wes", "Barnett is Crap" brigade need to look at the bigger picture.

Bang on nutty.

3 painful goals to concede but all goals conceded are aren''t they? but when you consider how good Gabby Ab is and the pedigree of Bent (England''s now 1st choice striker) and Heskey (60 odd caps and 25m combined in price tags) then its starts to make sense. We lost a game that we could have drawn...I actually take heart from the fact that we are disappointed (as are the players)...it just shows you how far we''ve come.

I don''t think the fans are over-critical  really, and there can''t be a supporter who is not over the Moon at what we have achieved so far this season.

As supporters we  do have a right to express our opinions on team selection etc. and that is what these forums are for. I suppose that this comes out more with the disappointment of a defeat, although this was not unexpected loss.

I feel that the majority of posts has been fairly constructive and we all have our differing views on players. Some rate Martin, others don''t. Some went over the top over Cody, others were happy to see us cash in and so on .

I myself think that the team should start with both Morison and Holt and that Bennett  is best used as supersub ala Jackson.  I also think that Naughton should be rested with Martin back at right back for more defensive solidarity, assuming others are fit. We are all amateur managers, it is part of the fun of supporting a football team.

This is not being over-critical, it is just the way I see it. I don''t suppose for one minute that PL will do this, but I will not be critical of him because I am well aware that he knows a lot more than me about the players and the game and I have enormous respect for his achievements on behalf of our Club. 

Nee Na, Nee Na, Nee Na.............

Forum Police!  Forum Police!

"This is The Forum Police.  You must stop posting immediately.  You have committed the most heinous crime by daring to post something remotely critical.  You should be ashamed and embarrassed by your dispicable behaviour.  You had no right to post the said comments which were shocking in the extreme.  You did so without thought that you may hurt someone''s feelings by posting something critical which you had no right to do."

Remember where we have come from and that because of this, criticism is not allowed, because I say so!

Everyone must sit and fold their arms and just smile and be greatful for what we have!

Nutty, you get flippin sick of all these plastic mods don''t you!?[;)]

[quote user="canarydan23"]I can''t get my head around the fact that after scoring 2 goals away from home some people are adamant that our attacking players need to be changed? Any team in the Premier League should be satisfied at getting two goals away from home in any fixture. We lost because we conceded three, not because we didn''t score enough. And in defence to our back four, Barnett has been quality most of the season and made a once or twice in a lifetime howler that happens to the majority of centre-backs in their career. And Villa''s first goal only came to be after the referee and his assistant decided to allow Warnock to charged down a clearance with an arm in a move that an egg-chaser would have been delighted with.[/quote]

I would argue that you do need to look at the attacking players actually. Football is a team game where you have to balance out risk and reward. So there must be a compromise between being positive and being gung ho which we were on Saturday. The defence and the attack are directly linked. They arent 2 completely seperate entities, which this seems to be implying. We effectively had 5 forwards on the pitch at Villa Park. That put an awful lot of pressure on the defence who were left very exposed. Although I would be the first to admit that the second goal was just an individual error which will cost you regardless of the tactics you employ.

There is no doubt the team are doing brilliantly. If someone had offered me a 4 point cushion over the team in 18th at this stage I would have been delighted. This is a tough and demanding league. Without doubt we will probably have a rocky spell where we lose a couple on the spin. Even Chelsea have lost 2 in a row this season. So I agree that people need to stay level headed about the whole thing.

But I think the reason people (including Morison and Pilks judging by the interview) are slightly disappointed is that they have proven they can match most sides in this league at times. We have just been undone by naivety and sloppy errors at times. I am glad in a way that both supporters and players are demanding more. Its shows we want to compete and do well in this league. Too many times I felt we were just along for the ride last time

Agreed, Broadstairs, but the danger of too many people being over critical is that it will transmit into complaints, boos etc at matches as some people inevitably go overboard with their criticism.

Also, it''s good to have the occasional positive thread to comment on as so many are the opposite!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Me, I was expecting a rose garden.[W] Wasn''t that what we were promised?[;)]

[/quote]

Yes, but along with the sunshine there''s got to be a little rain sometimes...

Nutty, have you a sneaky read of my column for this week?

Yeh agree with you Nutty, that Lambert needs to stop having a go at poor defending too! As for Morison saying we weren''t good enough well that''s him dropped for next game being so negative!

And yeh how dare we comare ourselves to a small club like Swansea, who cares that they can keep clean sheets, we scored three past them, very true.

Last time I read this site, was all about peoples opinions, ideas for the next game, what people think, but how dare we even think such negative things, Barnett''s back pass was down to the poor pitch.

What really makes me laugh is that none ot the posts are actually negative at all, not critical just an observation of matches we have watched and players performances.

not one person on here can be critical of the attitude, the spirit and the achievement so far, but we can have an opinion, if that''s OK with you?

Now Nutty, while I essentially agree with what your saying. Your kind of doing something I don''t really like.

Now on the surface of it, it does appear to be a lot of very negative posts around. I''m fairly sure than nearly all Norwich fans are absolutely delighted with our progress and current position. Its great, If you had said this time two years ago we would be 9th in the premiership in two years time, everyone would have laughed, know one would have believed or expected it. Its absolutely amazing.

But were here now, were a Premiership side. And we want to stay a premiership side. Now I know we don''t like the be compared to Blackpool, but they started off really well and then just slumped, and I think that kind of thing is what people are really worried about. You much agree there is room for improvement in our team, I don''t need to go through the manner in which we have lost some points and given away goals as its been done far too many times. People on the main are actually discussing these issues, justifying their view point. You can''t tell people their not allowed to voice concern, were doing great yes, but there are things that can be improved, and if they are improved on then we will be doing even better.

I''ve looked at our fixtures up until Fulham on 31st December, and to be honest despite my usually highly optimistic stance, i''m a bit worried that we won''t pick up many points. I believe were only 4 points from the relegation zone? Obviously only 11 games in their isn''t going to be a huge gap, but that seems pretty small. And unless we pull something spectacular out of the bag, Arsenal should beat us easily, and then I just have this really bad feeling about the QPR game, I think they will really come at us and try and take 3 points away because they failed to last season. And then Man.C away, well if they continue like they have been so far, the scoreline might not be pretty.

Yes we have done amazingly well, but that doesn''t mean we shouldn''t discuss the negatives. Two points from the last three, when before that run of games most people would have been predicting 3-7 points, just slightly worries me. I don''t think we will go down, and think we will up our performances and get a few great results in the next couple of months, but not everything is perfect and just because of what we have achieved so far doesn''t mean we should ignore those imperfections, the only people you can really have a go at (not that what your doing here anyway) is those who think everything is terrible and were not achieving, because we obviously are, but I don''t think there are too many people like that around.

Basically, I think its fair to say moaning and worrying are two very prominent human traits, especially it seems when it comes to football....

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Me, I was expecting a rose garden.[W] Wasn''t that what we were promised?[;)]

[/quote]

Yes, but along with the sunshine there''s got to be a little rain sometimes...

Nutty, have you a sneaky read of my column for this week?

[/quote]

---

Less flippantly, I had no firm idea what to expect since - apart from a few minutes of MotD a couple of times a season - I simply hadn''t seen any Premier League football since we lost to Fulham that day.

That being said, I did doubt the "best league in the world tag". And still do. I also suspected that the gap between the clubs coming up from the Championship and a whole raft of middling to lower PL teams might not be unbridgeable. And that also seems valid enough a view.

I thought that tactically we would come up against a better class of manager (and that Lambert might need to learn from mistakes in area very quickly). For example, from all I have read, Pardew''s tactical acumen has been one of the major factors in turning Newcastle into serious contenders.

If pressed I think I would have said I expected us to finish in the bottom half of the table. As things stand (without knowing what will happen in January) I suspect we will. But then there are seven safe places in the bottom half. And one of those seven places would be fine by me.

As to whether posters have lost perspective and been over-critical in the wake of the Villa game, I don''t think so. This is a message-board. You will get a wide range of views. And the odd apocalyptic comment. Some plainly can be ignored. Heck, I''ve even seems one idiot[8o|] who keeps harping on about how Ruddy isn''t the greatest custodian since Lev Yashin!

More seriously I think it''s healthy that posters don''t indulge in blind optimism or unconditional support, either as far as the football is concerned, or the off-field stuff. Our football club is run by fallible human beings and it doesn''t do them any favours to pretend they''re incapable of error.

As to whether posters have lost perspective and been over-critical in the wake of the Villa game, I don''t think so. This is a message-board. You will get a wide range of views. And the odd apocalyptic comment. Some plainly can be ignored. Heck, I''ve even seems one idiot[8o|] who keeps harping on about how Ruddy isn''t the greatest custodian since Lev Yashin!

[/quote]

You''ll be telling people you''re not a closet Lynn Anderson fan next [8o|]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

You''ll be telling people you''re not a closet Lynn Anderson fan next [8o|]

[/quote]

We all have our dark[st] secrets, Beau. Truthfully, I''ve forgotten[*-)] whether that is one of mine or not...[;)]

Quite agree with the opening post in the thread. Time for some people to get a little perspective.

Its all about having a balanced opinion though. As someone has said it doesn''t hurt to identify areas where there is room for improvement but many people (mostly on Canary Call) need to let off steam after a defeat and find a scapegoat or two, saying this player or that player need dropping as they are crap or weren''t trying etc.

norfolkbroadslim I think you will find that Nutty is allowed an opinion as much as you are, he hasn''t said anywhere in his post that people shouldn''t start critical posts, he was giving his opinion on the amount of critical posts that have sprung up over the last couple of days.

To me your response looks more like forum police as you don''t agree with nutty''s opinion.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

"Barnett needs dropping" "Hoolahan needs dropping" "We can''t keep a clean sheet" "Defensively sieve like" "Too many bookings" "Holt shouldn''t start" "Drop Bennett" "Naughton isn''t good enough" "Hoolahan is disinterested and doesn''t care"

And my favourite of all is the jealousy of Swansea''s clean sheets. "Swansea have kept 5 clean sheets" We are above Swansea on goal difference! We also beat them 3-1!! One of their clean sheets was a 0-0 draw at  home to Sunderland!! Yet they have more clean sheets so are somehow better than us?? You couldn''t make it up!

Top half of the Premier League after 11 games. Not some mini league of so-called fellow relegation candidates. A goal difference better than 9 others in that same league even though we''ve already played Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool away. What more were some of you expecting?

We need to believe in Paul Lambert and the team. Not let expectation sour our relationship with the players. Some of whom have taken us from the bottom of League One to the top half of the Premier League. They have earnt our support because they''ve never yet failed us. Unless your expectations were greater than their achievements. I believe, with our support they will continue to surpass realistic expectations of any fan.

[/quote]

BINNER

[quote user="Harry"]norfolkbroadslim I think you will find that Nutty is allowed an opinion as much as you are, he hasn''t said anywhere in his post that people shouldn''t start critical posts, he was giving his opinion on the amount of critical posts that have sprung up over the last couple of days. To me your response looks more like forum police as you don''t agree with nutty''s opinion.[/quote]

Touche!

So I am forum police because you THINK I don''t agree with Nutty! 

So, in your most humble opinion I am allowed an opinion just like Nutty is, but because my opinion MAY differ from Nutty''s, I am the forum police? 

Are you serious?  That is completely illogical!

Yelling "forum police" because you don''t agree with someone''s post is fairly low on the radar of intelligent responses.

The point is we''re all entitled to opinions even if it is saying there are too many negative posts.

Its an opinion.

Get over it.

Thanks Harry. I wasn''t saying folk shoiuldn''t have an opinion or that they shouldn''t be critical. I''m sometimes critical too. But I thought some of the negativity since we got beat at Villa by the odd goal in five was a bit OTT. I think it''s unkind to accuse players who have taken us to where we are of not caring. I believe they deserve better and a little bit of faith from us is nothing less than they deserve. Paul Lambert may well make changes. But if he does he won''t go telling players they aren''t good enough or telling them they don''t care or are disinterested. He''ll just make different selections from the players he has available with the minimum of fuss and upset. There are plenty of posts suggesting changes he could make without having a pop at the players who have earnt our respect.

What I did ask was what were some of you expecting?

To want as many clean sheets as Swansea ON TOP of what we''ve already achieved would more than likely put us in the top six? Is that realistic? I bet the players think it is. And they will be aiming foir it. But if they miss and don''t get there they have already earnt our support.

Unrealistic expectation can start a rot at a football club. We have seen how that works. The atmosphere of negativity can go right through the club. We are nowhere near that now but take a look at Blackburn. The manager and players operate in a siege inviroment where they are trying to succeed in spite of the fans. I would never want to see that at our club again.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Yelling "forum police" because you don''t agree with someone''s post is fairly low on the radar of intelligent responses. The point is we''re all entitled to opinions even if it is saying there are too many negative posts. Its an opinion. Get over it.[/quote]

Funny you should mention intelligence because you clearly have none and have clearly missed the reasoning behind my post!