Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

Bottle Tops

First ground I''d been to on Saturday where you weren''t allowed to keep your bottle top. The helpful catering staff took off the bottle top and said we''re not allowed to give you that.

I guess the theory is that people might use them as missiles but it seems a bit extreme.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]First ground I''d been to on Saturday where you weren''t allowed to keep your bottle top. The helpful catering staff took off the bottle top and said we''re not allowed to give you that. I guess the theory is that people might use them as missiles but it seems a bit extreme.[/quote]

You don''t collect them do you norfolk?

If so, I''ll guess you have a very big shed. 

It''s been like it at many grounds for years, at one stage Carrow Road was one of the few places that you could keep bottle tops.  I know one friend who will take a spare bottle top with them!

QPR last season and Chelsea this season have been the same - tried to take a bottle of water into each and the stewards insisted on taking the tops at the turnstiles. I was allowed to keep it on Saturday though! Oh the carnage I could have caused.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]First ground I''d been to on Saturday where you weren''t allowed to keep your bottle top. The helpful catering staff took off the bottle top and said we''re not allowed to give you that. I guess the theory is that people might use them as missiles but it seems a bit extreme.[/quote]

I got wise to this several seasons ago.

Take a few spare screw tops with you.

I took water in with me and they didn''t ask me to remove the top so guess I look pretty harmless now I''m over 45 [:)]

I assumed it was so you couldn''t keep some of the drink until half time, and therefore you would need to buy another one.

It really annoys me when grounds don''t serve alcohol to the away fans. They are prepared to lose all of that revenue, for what?

The reason for doing this is fairly obvious - a bottle full of liquid is a dangerous (ish) missile when thrown from distance and height, without it''s lid the liquid comes out in flight and it probably wouldn''t get very far anyway. An empty bottle is very light and wouldn''t do damage, a full bottle is not light and would hurt.

Old trafford they removed my 6 year olds fruit shoot top. It was a hot day and kids need to keep drinking in that heat . Pissed me off big time. I then went to purchase another soft drink and they took the top off that aswell. Because of this my lad hates old trafford and now hates man united! I just hope its not put him off going at all. In future I will hide a bottle top on myself to use.

i used to always have a coke bottle top in my pocket for away games...Most grounds sell Diet coke and the bottle tops are interchangeable amongst any drink in the coke brand... used to keep it in my pocket and when i got back to my seat just stuck the lid on... no one ever said anything about it, just had to remember to take the lid with me again after the game!

Nearly every single ground I''ve been to in the last 3 years has taken the bottle tops off (unless you hide the bottle in your back pocket!) ;-)

Liverpool and Swansea wouldn''t let you take bottles in at all!

Spare bottle top is a must for any away ground... I think even Hartlepool took mine off in league 1!

The reason they do it (well, the reason they tell us) is that so in an evacuation if you stood on a bottle it would crush and you wouldn''t fall over.

The stewards took them at Stamford Bridge which meant having to drink them & was bursting by half time.

Like the tip about taking a spare.

At Sheff Utd a few seasons back I got a can of Red Bull from the bar and as expected they poured it into a plastic cup and kept the can, what surprised me was they refused to let me take the drink to my seat, I was treated as if I was taking alcohol in with me, I have never worked out the reason why. For the record they were selling bottles of Coke and not taking the caps off.

The first time this happened to me was the opening game of the season on Coventry a couple of years back.

Old Trafford surprised me with the fact it had no bins, and the fact that all of the stewards and security outside insisted on searching you upon entering the away fans entrance zone bit and again at the turnstyle.

I can see the point of it - however they let me take in my threatening carton of tropical juice!! I am sure if I chucked that at someone it would bloomin'' hurt... possibly more than a bottle if the corner hit first!

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]The Italians are worse. No bottle tops, two levels of turnstiles to get in, photo ID, metal detectors... they''ve gone a bit OTT since the Catania riots a few years ago.
[/quote]

Yes but they are safety/security measures to protect us from potential nutters. No such thing as going OTT in this respect, as we know from airport security.

It''s a pain, but I would be less happy without it all.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Old trafford they removed my 6 year olds fruit shoot top. It was a hot day and kids need to keep drinking in that heat . Pissed me off big time. I then went to purchase another soft drink and they took the top off that aswell. Because of this my lad hates old trafford and now hates man united! I just hope its not put him off going at all. In future I will hide a bottle top on myself to use.[/quote]Every cloud has a silver lining.....

[quote user="Adam_2011"]The first time this happened to me was the opening game of the season on Coventry a couple of years back.

Old Trafford surprised me with the fact it had no bins, and the fact that all of the stewards and security outside insisted on searching you upon entering the away fans entrance zone bit and again at the turnstyle.[/quote]Last time I went to Old Trafford in 2004 a rather attractive stewardess was on our gate. I asked if she''s mind doing a body search but she declined.At Manchester Magistrates Court on the following Monday I got let off with a caution......[;)]