Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Norwich vs Aston Villa- Match discussion thread.

Full line up:

Ruddy, R. Martin, Johnson, Morison, Holt (c), Pilkington, Hoolahan, Bennett, Barnett, Tierney, Naughton

Subs: Rudd, Crofts, Jackson, Surman, Fox, Wilbraham, De Laet

Great, the team I wanted. Too many times last week our wingers  were getting balls in with noone on the end of them Holt can fix that. Never been too much a fan of Fox so happy he was the one to make way.

Won''t midfield be lacking?

Is this a bit too attack minded for an away game at Villa Park?

We''ll see. Could be an inspired move I suppose.

Is that a flat 442 or a diamond?   with bennett and pilkingto prob a 442?

Strong call from the manager;  personally would have swapped BJ for holt ahead of Fox - but neither has been great the last couple of games so can see why the change has been made.

Does not seem like a team that will not conceed though; 5 attack minded players :-)

Fingers crossed it comes off!

Interesting. Just hope we don''t end up playing too direct an bypassing Wes in midfield. There is a temptation as a defender to keep knocking the ball long when you have two big men up top. Feel for Fox a bit (when he plays well we play well) but he hasn''t been at his best over the past couple of weeks.Holty vs Dunne. A fight for the ladies (and men) who like their men that little bit bigger [;)]

Their back 4 looks vulnerable -

The wingers battle will be intriguing,  N''Zogbia & Agbonlahor will mean real width for us to cope with - which suggests we will go 442;  I fancy ours will do a better defensive job than theirs though,  so if we can get Bennett & Pilkington forward then goals shoudl follow... 

Pilkington and Bennett need to do so much donkey work today, both the help Naughton and Tierney out, but more importantly making sure Johnson isn''t completely overrun in the middle.

This is a very aggressive line-up, hope it goes to plan, we go 2 up then bring Fox on for one of the front two and Crofts on for Bennett.

Need to start well.

Shack, long ball could work because Morison can actually knock the ball down to players, so ball goes long to him and he heads it down to Hoolahan. Holt seems to nearly always try to win free-kicks rather than head the ball...

It will be a very interesting game, think there will be goals from both sides but as long as we play to the same standard we have played most other games this season, we could get 3 points :) Unless Heskey is on form, and scores a hat-trick....

You could be right Ginge. We''ve mixed our play up quite nicely this season playing a mixture of long and short passes so hopefully that will continue. I actually think that one of the reasons Fox has been left out today could be because he has been playing too short in the last couple of weeks. He had a 90% passing success rate last week but his passes rarely hurt Blackburn. He''s at his best when he mixes up the short and intricate passing with some longer crossfield balls. It makes us a lot less predictable.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Won''t midfield be lacking?

Is this a bit too attack minded for an away game at Villa Park?

We''ll see. Could be an inspired move I suppose.

[/quote]

We won''t be lacking ''cause we have two forwards who work hard in midfield and defense - just hope Holt & Morison are up when necessary to get on the end of the wingers crosses.

Hope Crofts can steady things in the middle. Without Fox in there it looks a bit manic.

Quite an opening half hour. Talk about end to end.

Wrong team selection, carry on having so many bodies ahead of the ball and we''ll definitely concede again.

Midfield being over-run, leading to ball being switched to Agbonlahor and he''s got Naughton isolated.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]3 Yellow cards for Norwich players in the first half, were not going to see a player getting sent off today are we :([/quote]

Exactly my thoughts. But if we keep losing out in midfield the defenders will have no choice but to make challenges.

Why despite so much praise for our defenders and keeper, seem to always be poor in defence?

I think its about time we stop praising defences that can''t keep clean sheets. I know its a tough league, and the combo of Agbonlahor and Darren Bent is really tough to defend against. But its not just today is it? We nearly always look fragile at the back, and all 3 seasons under Lambert we have never been really solid. It just seems to be his weak link in my eyes, we are good going forward, but in defence its just not impressive....