Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

leaving January?

With Lambo saying we need a helping hand with one or two in the window he has also hinted at one or two leaving. Now who might that be? I reckon Surman for a decent fee, perhaps Wilbers with another striker in. Or could also be Ward or Whitbread? Again with replacement. Any thoughts otherwise?

Why would you think Whitbread would be leaving?

Even when he isn''t 100% fit (Chelsea away?) Lambert wants him in the team....

Will PL want to allow Ward and Whitbread without seeing them have a proper go in the prem? Why sell when you may have the players to do the job already?

Lappin hasn''t featured really - (did he have one sub app?). A good reliable player - would be good in most championship sides.

He could get a fee for Oli Johnson too.

Don''t really want to see any of them go given the service they have given the club, but things do move on........ some will relish the chance of a new challenge and prospect of first team football, others would want to stay and fight for a first team place here.

I wonder where Chris Martin fits in to that picture................

If the fringe players are to leave will we see some further loans over the next couple of weeks as they "sell" themselves or will we only release once a replacement / improvement is in?

At the mo I would not want to let anyone leave - competition for places and cover should remain for me

Without wanting this to sound like I''m slagging him off (but unfortunately it does sound that way) I don''t see what Surman has done to warrant getting "a good fee" as mentioned.

I''m not his biggest fan but as Zipper has said, "competition for places and cover should remain for me."

I see Surman as cover if we lose Pilks at the moment though, not as competition for his place.

With how well Pilks is playing, if we got some money for Surman and bought someone, we''ve still only 2 for that position.

We''ve got two spaces left in our 25 and we''re not really strapped for cash at the moment. I''m not suggesting that we shouldn''t try to raise some funds but Surman would be one I would be loathe to see leave.

I''d be looking at the likes of Lappin, Wilbraham, Johnson, and (dare I say it?) Korey Smith.

Drury has been an outstanding player but his contract is only until this summer so he won''t be going anywhere.

Lappin has got to be gagging for some first team football. I sincerely believe he''d be a welcome addition to a lot of Championship teams and while I would miss him, at 28 he''s got to be thinking about more games.

Wilbraham and Ollie Johnson just don''t cut it for me.

The only reason I''d be willing to let Korey Smith go is I believe we could get a good fee from him for the prospect alone. While he hasn''t had the opportunities to continue his development with us, I''m sure a lot of scouts will have taken note over the last few years . I think with our meteoric rise over the last two years, he''s just not going to see the kinds of opportunities he''s had here again.

Can''t see Oli Johnson or Wilbraham staying - Taking up wages when neither of them are anywhere near the first team (and nor should they be IMHO - Well below Premier league standard). Drury might go if Lappin stays - not both because we need someone to cover at left-back if Tierney is injured or needs a rest. Personally I''d hope it''s Lappin to stay - more versatile and worth a spot on the bench, whereas Drury is surely on his way at the end of the season regardless. Not sure who else might be out - one of the midfielders perhaps, if PL decides to bring another one in... Of course, all this is assuming none of our top players is coveted by another Premiership club and on his way out for all the right reasons...

I am far from his biggest fan but I really think Wilbraham will stay for the remainder of this season as backup for Holt and Morison. 

I would not be completely shocked if Chris Martin was sold to a Champ club or to the Scottish Prem.

Korey Smith needs a full season in the Championship.

To me, when he played last season he just didn''t seem any more advanced than the year before in League One. His games were limited last season, and was a bit surprised he hasn''t gone out on loan, could it be Lambert was half expecting to have to use him? Or know one good enough is interested?

Surman is a strange one, looks like he has some ability but isn''t very quick and gets knocked off the ball so easily. As a left winger he''s just not at all effective. I''m sure with a bit of strengthening, and some games he could actually be pretty useful. Maybe loaning him out would be a good idea?

Lappin, will probably ask to leave. He won''t have a strop or anything, because he''s clearly a model professional, but like you said Who Let the Fox Out, he''s 28 and will want to get games, in his time at Norwich he''s had so much time out of the team and he must just want to play some football.

Oli Jonhson, wasn''t used last season, is he still out on loan? I had a feeling he came back, as he was only out on loan for a month or two, if thats the case he hasn''t even been playing reserve football.... Not good enough.

Wilbraham is a strange one, surprised he ever signed, and contrary to popular opinion he did actually do a few good things in a Norwich shirt, but nothing wonderful. Is not even really Championship quality you would have to think, so not sure why he''s at a premiership side??

I think if were going to sign a new CB, one has to leave. That for me, would either be sending De Laet back or selling Ward. Barnett has been playing fairly well, albeit making a few mistakes, Whitbread I think is Lamberts favourite defender, Ayala is young and only signed end of August. Ward has been injured far too long, and while Lambert probably wants to test his premiership ability, he hasn''t had him available, and if he needs to make up the numbers, Ward could go.

Drury won''t go, probably. If say Peterborough wanted to buy him on the cheap, he might leave. But he''s not going to be worth anything, so might as well keep him as back up.

Chris Martin won''t be leaving.....

Chris Martin?

Drury (providing we keep Lappin)

Johnson

Note - Whitbread and Ward are out of contract next summer.

Wouldn''t surprise me if we try to sign 2 centre backs and a winger / striker (may be 6'' 2" tall Procter from Preston if he has recovered from his recent hernia op.).

OTBC!

Really surprised by some of these posts so far. I think every has such short term memory. Lambert will sell/release a few but not many players come January. It certainly wont be the squad overhaul everyone is expecting.The only one I can really see leaving in January is Wilbraham. Now we have two big men, he is not as needed as cover. Obviously not good enough for the Prem.Lappin only signed a new contract in Jan 2011. Will be on minimal wages and deserves a chance to fight for his place (on the bench)Drury wouldn''t be hung out to dry in Jan. (If Lambert doesn''t want him, he''ll tell him and Drury would probably retire in June)Surman, last year first choice plus great squad player.The youngsters are on next to nothing for their wages. Plus are expecting to play. Unless they are terrible or a good offer comes in they will stay.As for Whitbread leaving, I mean come on! He will be our 1st choice CB when he is fit. Everyone knows Lambert likes him. 

I believe I read somewhere that Drury will be here till the summer and then part of the coaching / scouting network, so I doubt he will be going anywhere soon.

Wilbraham is out of contract in the summer and I doubt many clubs will be willing to pay any fee or lower end premiership wages for his services when he will be free in the summer.

Lappin, I can see Lapps going back up north, not really featured and I think well behind Surman, Fox, Crofts and Johnson.

Chris Martin, what can you say, appears to be one who Lambert can''t decide on, but I agree with earlier posts, would not be suprised to see him off in January, if we get a quality replacement striker.

Kory Smith, must be loaned out for the second half once fit, he needs playing time at Championship level, just look how well Adeyemi is doing at Oldham.

I''m not sure we will see too many out the door in January, but I do believe we might just see Naughton sign permanently, making room for another loan player, with maybe a couple more lower league players brought in to bolster the squad.

One last point, Pilkington has been superb, Johnson has been superb, would not be suprised if there are on or two premiership clubs going to test Norwich''s resolve with a big offer, ala Charlie Adam.

Korey smith is only correct me.if I''m.wrong about 20 years old. I agree to loaning him out but selling him? He showed a lot in league one and struggled to get in the team last year because of the impressive Andrew crofts. Korey has time and could still end up being a star at this level . Don''t write the kid off yet.

Can''t see Drury leaving in January. The guy has been a fantastic servant to the club and he deserves a testimonial in the summer. Which I am sure he will get. We also need some cover for Tierney just in case something happens to him. Although I suspect De Laet would potentially get the nod at left back if that were the case. Unless we have a top class replacement coming in, I don''t see how anyone can suggest getting rid of Surman. I think his time at Norwich has been disappointing up until now but he is the only cover we have in wide areas.

Surely everyone remembers McNasty saying that Lambert WILL have money to spend in January. It doesn''t mean players HAVE to leave.

[quote user="Indy"]One last point, Pilkington has been superb, Johnson has been superb, would not be suprised if there are on or two premiership clubs going to test Norwich''s resolve with a big offer, ala Charlie Adam.[/quote]

As far as new signing go I would say Johnson was superb for the first 6-7 games but since then his performances haven''t been to quite the same level.

Pilkington has got better and better though.

I can''t see anybody putting in a big offer for either of them at the moment but Pilkington will probably be the one to watch if he keeps scoring goals. With 4 league goals to his name already it''s not unrealistic to see him making double figures this season and that would surely catch a few eyes.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Oli Johnson, Lappin, Smith, Wilbraham, C Martin, Ward all contenders to leave[/quote]

I''d be very surprised if Lambert had even considered letting Ward go. First choice centreback last season highly valued by Lambert for the part he played in our promotion.

Something would have to go pretty badly wrong for us to turn our back on him before he''s had a chance to show what he can do in the Prem.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Oli Johnson, Lappin, Smith, Wilbraham, C Martin, Ward all contenders to leave[/quote]

I''d be very surprised if Lambert had even considered letting Ward go. First choice centreback last season highly valued by Lambert for the part he played in our promotion.

Something would have to go pretty badly wrong for us to turn our back on him before he''s had a chance to show what he can do in the Prem.

[/quote]...........if we get another central defender he would slip down to sixth choice when all are fit (if martin continues in centre ) and is too slow to cut it in the premiership. do we need six central defenders in a squad limited to 25?. can''t see it myself so would expect him to be on his way.

"It doesn''t mean players HAVE to leave."

Depends how many come in as we can only have a squad of 25 players

I think we currently have 23

The deciding factor is whether certain players will ever get a game. Some certainly do not, so I expect there to be a bit of a ''shuffle'' come January.

What we won''t know is who. There can''t be any City fan who has not been surprised by a return of a player we had written off. Even Ruddy was constantly regarded as a poor replacement Forster.

So we may have to wait to see what work and improvement has be done to a few of the fringe players.

Ward may go to a Championship club on loan cause hes unlikely to feature.

Drury will see out his contract then probably be released.

Wilbraham will see out the season as back up to Holt and Morison!

Surman - may go cause he doesn''t look like cutting it.

Lappin may go cause hes unlikely to feature and isn''t good enough.

Chris Martin - Same scanario as Lappin.

Ollie Johnson - same again!

These comings and going will only happen if we sign some more strikers!

Surely it''s not just a matter of the Club letting go the players that it has been decided won''t be of any real use in the Premiership.

Other clubs have to want them as well, and the market will be awash with such nearly men come the Window****.

Certain players, Lappin and Martin, will probably appeal to a lot of other clubs, but players like poor old Oli Johnson hasn''t had much to put on his cv. since coming to Norwich will have limited appeal in the market. Ditto, Wilbraham.

Either way, all these players will have to drop a league at the least. It then becomes upto the player as to whether he wants that move or whether he would prefer to sit on his contract.

Those that stay could present a problem with regards to new signings. There has to be a cap on the wages bill, surely? This is a fundamental aspect of football club finances nowadays.

PL has to concentrate as much upon selling as buying in the period leading upto  the New Year, and maybe players like Surman and Ward will have to be touted, even though they may have genuine claims to a squad place.

****I often read Ips--- boards and boy have they got a lot of players that they want out. They are ruder than us though and they refer to them as "deadwood." 

[quote user="Gingerpele"]How do you know he''s 5th choice?

He might be first choice, and straight back into the team when fit....[/quote]Do you fancy putting any money on that GP? I do hope so!

And who''s the highest scorer in the reserves? I don''t knowm but I suspect it''s the universally rejected Wilbraham.

I didn''t say he was, I''m just saying how do any of us know how highly Lambert rates Ward?

He didn''t try and get rid of him did he? He hasn''t said he doesn''t want him here, or he won''t be anywhere near the 1st team. And to be honest, he can''t make any more mistakes than De Laet and Barnett have so far this season...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I didn''t say he was, I''m just saying how do any of us know how highly Lambert rates Ward?

He didn''t try and get rid of him did he? He hasn''t said he doesn''t want him here, or he won''t be anywhere near the 1st team. And to be honest, he can''t make any more mistakes than De Laet and Barnett have so far this season...[/quote]Don''t tempt fate!