Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Here's a good one.

Lambert or Walker? Who''s our number one?

I suppose Worthy comes next, but he''s not in the picture really.

Let''s not have the Saunders or Bond achievements brought up. Too far back, and it''s harder nowadays (finances) IMHO.

It''s really a matter of opinion as to whether achieving our highest ever Premiership finish or saving us from the doldrums of league one football and 2 years later we''re competing against the best, is the greater achievement.

If it comes down to stats and win percentage, Lambert is our most successful manager ever with something like 57% wins since he took charge, ahead of one or two others with just 50%.

If we stay up, Lambert hands down!

[quote user="Lincs CR"]It''s really a matter of opinion as to whether achieving our highest ever Premiership finish or saving us from the doldrums of league one football and 2 years later we''re competing against the best, is the greater achievement. If it comes down to stats and win percentage, Lambert is our most successful manager ever with something like 57% wins since he took charge, ahead of one or two others with just 50%. If we stay up, Lambert hands down![/quote]

Lambert was my instant choice and then I thought more about the Walker era.

He was lucky to inherit some brilliant youngsters, Fox, Sutton, Goss etc. but he brought them on and got the best from them.

He made good signings,  eg. Ekoku.

We played the most brilliant football in the history of our Club:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7yuKZlTtjQ

We sat astride the Premiership for most of the season. We had international recognition and achieved European success.

It was halcyon days.

I still go for PL, but it is, so far, a close run thing. 

I should have named this topic, "Here''s a bad one," considering the lack of interest.

Maybe it is a bit premature for such comparisons to be made, if indeed they are possible in the first place. The game has changed so much.

I''d say Stringer over Walker anyway. It was Stringer that assembled the team, Walker did a good job and made them play well but didn''t build the team.

Everything Dave Stringer did at Norwich was top drawer, either as a player, coach or manager.

Truly the biggest unsung hero of our Club, of all time.

Agree with what you say.

Stringer set up the framework, but Walker made the team more direct, bringing in players he knew well from the reserves who he had been coaching.

Difficult to choose between the two - a team/club effort.

That''s what continuity can do!

For me it has to be Walker first. We played our best football and our highest ever position.

Stringer second, again great football, and let''s not forget under him and then Walker we were one of the top sides in the country.

As for going too far back, I don''t think you CAN go too far back, just because you can''t jusdge like for like don''t mean you can''t appreciate the achievments of teams from the past. It would be like ignoring Hungary in the 50''s or Brazil in 1970.

Lambo third, Ken Brown next (last time we won a major trophy), then Worthy, then Bond/Saunders.

Erm, so in spite what I said about history, I can''t really think of anyone before Saunders who would stand out.

Archie Macaulay, the manager for that cup run and promotion to the second division for the first time in our history the following year.

I don''t agree that we played our best football under Walker. In my time the best football was played in the late 80''s under Dave Stringer and David Williams. I remember Easter Monday 1989 we were 3 points off top with a game in hand and in the FA Cup Semi-finals. Realsistic double contender?!?! Of course in the end we fell away. Signing a striker that March may have made the difference. Or Chris Sutton coming through before his time almost certainly would have made the difference.

Over the last 25 years it''s Stringer or Lambert for me. And because the present is a gift I reckon Lambert shades it for what he has achieved and the time over which he achieved it.

Personally I would go for Lambert as number one, then Worthington as number two, ahead of Stringer and Walker.

My reasoning is as follows:

In our great era from the 70s to the early 90s, each manager built on the work of the one who came before him. I remember back to 1985, and I would suggest that Ken Brown did a great job building on John Bond''s success, Stringer took things on from him, and Walker finished the job by taking us into Europe. They all did fine jobs as City manager, but all inherited pretty good set-ups. Those whose minds recognise shades of grey rather than just black and white will realise that I am not criticising any of them. City legends all.

Both Worthington and Lambert inherited a club and team in complete shambles, mired in depression, going nowhere. Worthington''s achievement in turning a team threatened with relegation from the second tier into play-off contenders and then champions within three years was stupendous. Of course it went sour for him, as it does for almost all managers (and may yet for PL), but he did a stunning job as City manager and doesn''t in my view get anywhere near the credit he deserves.

Lambert''s achievements don''t need documenting by me, but his record here is basically a high-speed version of Worthington''s, which at present shows no signs of slowing down.

He is City''s greatest manager in the last 25 years. Already. Let''s just hope we get another couple of years from him before his inevitable departure to Manchester United.

I''m going for Lambert too, purly for what he has acheved in the short time he''s been here, the club was in a sorry state to say the least, He has got players from the lower reaches and turned them into Premier league players without spending a fortune. And he has them believing in themselfs, and most of all he has us, the fans believing in the players too. 

Walker spent a season and a bit here before departing for Everton....Lambert has been here longer and reaping the rewards! If he stays put then i foresee a national trophy (one of the 2 cups) and European football again one day.the Club MUST match his ambitions as i fear we will never have this again.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Lambert or Walker? Who''s our number one?[/quote]Lambert, no contest! Everybody knows Walkers success was all down to Robert Chase........

Walker, he was much harder. On the team bus back from away games, when the players and staff were full of fisha nd chips and beer, he would take his shirt off and challenge all the players in turn to punch him as hard as they could in the stomach. Now THAT''S man management!Mungo

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]Walker, he was much harder. On the team bus back from away games, when the players and staff were full of fisha nd chips and beer, he would take his shirt off and challenge all the players in turn to punch him as hard as they could in the stomach. Now THAT''S man management!
Mungo
[/quote]

Quite right. But he would also get Delia to do it at Colney from time to time, as shown in this photo:

As the involuterally shaking, liver-spotted hand slipped under the towel, Mike knew the only thing for it was to cultivate a Magnum-style tache to convince her she may be barking up the wrong tree....

Lambert, from 23rd in league 1 to 8th in the premiership in 2 years speaks volumes! That''s 60 places!! There''s still time for him to knock himself off that perch or cement it further though.

Difficult to say Lambert yet in my mind as he is still here. All the others have built their teams and moved on.

However, there is an argument to say his short term impact is the most influential. John Bond had quite an impact when he first came to Norwich and kept a high standard going for quite afew years.

So for me the first two years, definitely Lambert, but lets see how long his tenure is (hopefully a long time!) and then we will be able to judge his overall impact in comparison to others.