Sign in to follow this  
MAJESTIC

jordan rhodes for 3m

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Prem1"]Rhodes has not always been a starter in the Huddersfield side , would much rather have the Binners January target Billy Sharp or Nicky Maynard .
[/quote]

I think Rhodes would do a job for us and have something to prove but I''d rather have Billy Sharp too.

[/quote]

CA, I hope you mean we sign him?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]HRF - I think it was more of a ''cuddly time'' sort of innuendo![/quote]

Ha Ha - I did mean I''d prefer us to sign Billy [:)]

Aside from his playing abilities/ potential etc I can''t really see too much with his joining us. It''s not like he is abinner as such, he played for them - bit of a difference in my book.

As to any money going to the paupers as a sell on fee it''s going to be as much use as handing a half drunk can of coke to your neighbour when his house is on fire.

£60m plus debt is rather a hideous amount so they are pretty much down the plughole whatever happens.

Another point is his dad played for us a while back in the mid 90''s - albeit for the reserves. So if Lambert wants him then fine.

I don''t think we should go for Rhodes in January when his price is going to be over inflated. Undoubtably Huddersfield will be near the top and fighting for promotion (when will they ever get out of that league?!) and won''t sell him cheaply. Perhaps check out the loan market to assist us with some goals (Anichebe, Frazer Campbell available?) and spend the money in other areas.

That would involve buying or send back De Laet and/or Naughton.

If we are mainly going to be playing 4-5-1 we don''t need another striker to be honest. And Fraizer Campbell is injured, which is why he isn''t playing for Sunderland....

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"][quote user="bjg123"]Whilst I think he''d be a great signing I must admit I''m a little uncomfortable that this would mean us making a rather large donation to Ipswich town as they no doubt have a hefty sell on clause.[/quote]It''d be hilarious if they didn''t. [/quote]

We should offer £4mill if they didn''t - just to twist the screw alittle further.

Russell Martin wasn''t Peterborough''s first choice right back, they didn''t rate him it seems.David Fox was playing in the reserves at Colchester, they definitely didn''t rate him considering he cost a huge 25,000 to buySeems Leeds fans were not that bothered about Bradley Johnsonlook how good those turned outImagine how good an already prolific striker in league 1 would do under LambertIt''s an exciting prospect for sure [:)]  and if he does prosper his price tag would surely only elevate as he is still very young, it looks like a win/win scenario for me, a bit like how Pilkington''s signing has beenMaynard would cost 5 Million+ in todays market at a guessJordan Rhodes

2009/10 Statistics
TEAMCompetitionGSSBGASHSGFCFSYCRC
Huddersfield TownJPT1000432000
Huddersfield TownCC2031311100
Huddersfield TownL14521979036618750
Huddersfield TownFAC3010510200
Season Totals5122381024164905

2010/11 Statistics
Huddersfield TownFAC3111964300
Huddersfield TownL128111615120304410
Huddersfield TownCC1010611100
Huddersfield TownJPT3141724200
Season Totals35132237329395010

2011/12 Statistics
Huddersfield TownCC1020112400
Huddersfield TownL1103112281291700
Season Totals1131322913112100

[quote user="ryan1992"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Prem1"]Rhodes has not always been a starter in the Huddersfield side , would much rather have the Binners January target Billy Sharp or Nicky Maynard .
[/quote]

Billy Sharp''s goalscoring record for the past two seasons is a phenomenal 1 in  every 2 games, compared to Maynard''s 1 in every 3. He could be worth a punt ahead of Maynard.  

[/quote]

14 goals in 13 games for Rhodes this year so far isn''t to be sniffed at

[/quote]

Yes, but it''s much different to scoring in the Prem and he won''t keep up that scoring rate on heavier pitches in the second half of the season IMO. He''s playing in a side that are unbeaten in 42 games and top. Even Chris Martin had scored almost 20 by Xmas, however about 4 in the rest of the season.    

it should be born in mind it is NOT want they want, it is what we offer ie what we think he or anyone else is worth.

It doesn''t work whereby we make an offer then are bound to pay whatever Huddersfield demand

There also ''release'' clauses (something all too often overlloked when players leave City) that allow a player to speak or even leave once an offer, be it wages or fee, have been made.

My thoughts are that Lambert doesn''t seem to go for ''high profile'' players - and I''m sure there will be other clubs in far greater need who may be interested.

if we spend that kind of money, it would be with the intention of him starting every week, which means playing a 4-4-2 formation in which as has been seen, wes is very ineffective. does pl think of offloading him to accomodate this system?

5 million is ridiculous.

How long would he be the answer for? In the summer if we were in the prem. then I would want us to sign a striker near that value of more proven ability.

I don''t think we will have much over 3 million to spend, 4 million at the most (if we don''t sell anyone). So centre half and experience in the middle of the park would be ideal for me to see out games. We need clean sheets at the moment and to stay up this season we need clean sheets.

But if we are looking at strikers, then I would be looking at Andy Johnson and hope that Fulham still have not offered him a contract. Sharp would be a similar player in my eyes and then ched evans at sheff utd?

Just think for me I would prefer 2 players and one on a free. One of the goalkeepers maik taylor or marcus h''man on a free and then a centre half and a central midfielder of about 2 million each.

We need to build a spine of the team up and for me an experienced head who is hungry in the middle to close out a game with great drive would be ideal.

A centre half who is commanding and a great communicator, get these two positions then I think we have a spine for this season and then for next season. Hence I hope they are players that can make a spine of the team in the prem.

Cause we could be very close to building that very important spine. I really think we are just 2 positions away and then our other players can compliment them.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

The latest rumour is that Hudders want £5m.[/quote]

What did you get that from, can''t believe myself they will expect more than £3m tops.

Holt, Morison, Martin, Jackson...Does he really have that much more potential than them, given the league he''s playing in now? Like smooth says, we need to strengthen the spine. Let''s get one or two wiser, experienced heads in at the back, amd then work on getting decent chances into the existing front line.

[quote user="paul moy"]

I''m not sure that this guy is the answer as he appears to me to be very similar to Morison, Holt and Wilbraham, but is also unproven above League 1 and even many Huddersfield supporters do not appear to rate him as their best player on their forum.  Three million could be spent better IMO on a pacey forward rather than what appears to be yet another target-man.  

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=62202

[/quote]

Do they really have a player called Jack Hunt? What were his parents thinking?

I would forget Billy Sharp. After everything that has happened recentley he''ll be with Doncaster for a good few seasons yet.I can see Rhodes coming though, given the Pilks connection. I expect us to pay around 1.8m, with 1.2m in add ons - keeping us up, international caps, etc.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Holt, Morison, Martin, Jackson...

Does he really have that much more potential than them, given the league he''s playing in now? Like smooth says, we need to strengthen the spine. Let''s get one or two wiser, experienced heads in at the back, amd then work on getting decent chances into the existing front line.
[/quote]

Oops from an Ips--- board, so it may be sour grapes. They are fuming about this projected move by PL as many there want him back at the Portaloo, whatever the cost.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

The latest rumour is that Hudders want £5m.[/quote]

What did you get that from, can''t believe myself they will expect more than £3m tops.

[/quote]

Sorry Nuff said, I was repling to the above and pressed the wrong "quote" button.

[quote user="1eed5canary"]I would forget Billy Sharp. After everything that has happened recentley he''ll be with Doncaster for a good few seasons yet.I can see Rhodes coming though, given the Pilks connection. I expect us to pay around 1.8m, with 1.2m in add ons - keeping us up, international caps, etc.[/quote]According to Paul Jewell Billy Sharp has a release clause and will almost certainly be leaving Doncaster in January , he seems to think Ipswich have a good chance of signing him although it would appear a sideways move at best to me . Sharp did say pre season that he would like a move to the Prem and Southampton had a bid of £3.25 million accepted in the summer so that would be around the price tag , decent striker who scores plenty of Championship goals while playing at the bottom club altough he did flop when he moved to boyhood club Sheff Utd.

I dont know why but i feel if we get Rhodes it will mean Holt taking a pay day in January.

Holt clearly is not first choice but has done well, after a couple of key goals can his stock really get any higher? He may even want this as he probably can get a much higher wage having now shown he can score in the Prem.

You may even get a silly 2.5-3 million £ bid .....

I just get that feeling.

We need a player that can perform and score now to help keep us in the Prem, not in a few seasons. Rhodes is not the man IMO.  I''d much rather keep a proven Holt and buy Sharp as he is an experienced and prolific goalscorer for a struggling team and at a higher level, and thus far more likely to make the step up than Rhodes.

[quote user="paul moy"]We need a player that can perform and score now to help keep us in the Prem, not in a few seasons. Rhodes is not the man IMO.  I''d much rather keep a proven Holt and buy Sharp as he is an experienced and prolific goalscorer for a struggling team and at a higher level, and thus far more likely to make the step up than Rhodes.[/quote]

I''m not saying you''re wrong, but Sharp''s record in the Championship is 42 goals in 124 games. That is the classic one-in-three of the decent but not great goalscorer, and might suggests the Championship is his level. By contrast, Rhodes (someone I have never seen play) looks like he might be on an upward curve. But I entirely take your point that we need goals this season, and that might be a season too soon for Rhodes. I am just not sure Sharp would be any more the answer.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="paul moy"]We need a player that can perform and score now to help keep us in the Prem, not in a few seasons. Rhodes is not the man IMO.  I''d much rather keep a proven Holt and buy Sharp as he is an experienced and prolific goalscorer for a struggling team and at a higher level, and thus far more likely to make the step up than Rhodes.[/quote]

I''m not saying you''re wrong, but Sharp''s record in the Championship is 42 goals in 124 games. That is the classic one-in-three of the decent but not great goalscorer, and might suggests the Championship is his level. By contrast, Rhodes (someone I have never seen play) looks like he might be on an upward curve. But I entirely take your point that we need goals this season, and that might be a season too soon for Rhodes. I am just not sure Sharp would be any more the answer.

[/quote]

These are Sharp''s latest stats from Wiki which show a 1 in 2 scoring rate for a struggling team which rate higher than 1 in 1 a division below and for a team firing on all cylinders. CM scored 16 in League 1 and then only 4 in the Champs. CMS scored 27 last season in League 1 and is scoring less than 1 in 3 in the Champs. Sharps record over the past two seasons therefore in comparison is outstanding, and Rhodes is very young, totally unproven and very risky to try at 3 to 5 million in the Prem IMO.   Sharp would be far less of a gamble.

2009–2010→ Doncaster Rovers (loan)33(15)
2010–Doncaster Rovers38(19)

in lambert we trust.

id take rhodes in a shot, you wont get a prolific/consistant premier league goalscorer for less than 6/7 million, so you may aswell risk it, hes either going to set the premier league on fire or be an average performer, well worth the risk

... so buying a prolific League one scorer in the hope that he is prolific in the Prem......... not bad if we can get him cheap with add-ons for achievement but awful if his fee is inflated at a reported 5m.  In the Prem he needs control and pace and I''m not sure he has that based on the Hudds forum, but really I hope Lambert is sure if he is going to stump up this kind of money.

If we were just promoted, I would say a definate yes to someone like Rhodes. But seeing as we are talking about January, half way through a Prem season, then that, to me, is a different scenario.

PL is talking about helping the squad, with improvement. This is improvement to a team that (hopefully still by then) has done a very good solid job in a very difficult league, hence the talk about an experienced centre half is sensible.

To have Rhodes (or someone of his current ''level'')join in January, wouldn''t appear to be the signing required to push on in the Prem at that particular time.

Obviously he is a good player (having just got international recognition), but to ask someone like him to come in half way through a season, 2 levels above what he has been playing, and hope he will make a difference is a big call/risk

But as always, in PL we trust!