Sign in to follow this  
canary125

Help - info on NCFC badge

I''m writing a report for my school on the canaries and would like to include a page about the history of the club''s badge, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Not read through but this page on the official site may help[url]http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/HistoryIndex/0,,10355,00.html[/url]Remember to write in your own words not copy and paste! Plus cite your sources when you quote.Good luck [:)]

I think the current badge design was first used in the 1973-74 season, a poor season when we were relegated from the top flight. Previously the clubs logo was a simple Canary on a branch!

I believe it was designed by a fan who won a competition started by the club to find a better badge design!

It''d be interesting to know who this fan was and if he/she is still about?

Very good badge design which I hope will be the clubs logo for many years to come!

I think I am right in saying that the Canaries were brought by the Huguenot settlers that came to Norwich. Being immigrants they were very unpopular in some sections of Norwich society for a while (distant relatives of some posters?). Ironic that the Canary is now one of the best known symbols for Norwich - alternatively an encouraging demonstration of integration.

[quote user=" Badger"]I think I am right in saying that the Canaries were brought by the Huguenot settlers that came to Norwich. Being immigrants they were very unpopular in some sections of Norwich society for a while (distant relatives of some posters?). Ironic that the Canary is now one of the best known symbols for Norwich - alternatively an encouraging demonstration of integration.[/quote]

I think they were Protestants generally rather than Huguenots specifically, although no doubt there were Huguenots among them. The Huguenots had fled from France to the Low Countries to try to escape Catholic persecution. Fat chance. In the Netherlands the Spanish (ie Catholic) rulers persecuted Protestants. Hence the exodus, with their canaries, to the nearest piece of safe land. Norfolk. Supposedly towards the end of the 16th century there were 6,000 Flemings and Walloons in Norwich out of a population of 16,000.

Lord alone knows what Ye Dailye Maile[8o|] would have made of that...[;)]

[quote user=" Badger"]I think I am right in saying that the Canaries were brought by the Huguenot settlers that came to Norwich. Being immigrants they were very unpopular in some sections of Norwich society for a while (distant relatives of some posters?). Ironic that the Canary is now one of the best known symbols for Norwich - alternatively an encouraging demonstration of integration.[/quote]

According to this it was the Flemish refugees who bought the Canary to Norwich:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich

The Flemish are from the northern ish(Dutch speaking) part of Belgium.

As for the Huguenot settlers I thought they had a French ancestory?? May be they were from what is now the Walloon part of Belgium?

Talking about ancestory dont forget the Vikings, Saxons, Scandinavian Normans, Portugese etc.

[quote user="Buckethead"]This should help. LINK[/quote]"brand identity working party" clearly a Doomcaster idear... how much did it cost the club and where is this Party now?

The current badge was first used in the 1972/73 season and yes it was chosen in a competition. I believe the man who designed the badge was interviewed by the Pink Un about three or four years ago. I must admit that I personally prefer the old style badge but the modern one seems most popular with City fans nowadays.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Buckethead"]This should help. LINK
[/quote]

"brand identity working party" clearly a Doomcaster idear... how much did it cost the club and where is this Party now?
[/quote]

Probably the cost of a box of teabags and a couple of packets of biscuits per meeting. You think it was a bad idea that the club used working parties like that to consult fans?

[quote user="canary125"]

I''m writing a report for my school on the canaries and would like to include a page about the history of the club''s badge, any information would be greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

Never heard of search engines? Google''s quite a popular one [:P]

Alright Shyster, calm down!

Only a schoolkid and hey, getting info from Norwich fans who may know more about the subject in question than google isn''t such a bad idea!

All I know is our badge looks smart and I don''t want to hear no s*it from "the grass is greener" thinking fans who think we should change it!