Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Chris Martin HAS gone to Palace on loan!

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/chris_martin_agrees_crystal_palace_loan_switch_1_1125820

"The aim will be for Martin to get some games – and hopefully goals – under his belt before returning to Carrow Road."

I am not certain whether the above statement is necessarily the case however.  If, as reported, Martin turned down a move to Millwall as part of the Morison deal, this could have been obviously a loan (a la Cody and Gillingham with the Jackson deal) or a permanent deal in the hope of getting up to a million off the price of Morison.

I therefore don''t think that it is as straightforward as the Pinkun is suggesting.  If he plays well and someone comes in with an offer in January I can see Lambert cashing in not Martin coming back and fighting for his place or having the opportunity to do so. 

This must be the best thing for everybody concerned.

It gets Martin away from all the speculation and gives him a chance to show what he can do.

If he does well he will put himself in a strong position for either returning to NCFC and fighting for a place in the team or moving permanently to another club.

If he doesn''t do so well it will help him to realise his level and maybe go to a League 1 club where he would undoubtedly do well.

Good move all round!

lake district canary"]This must be the best thing for everybody concerned. It gets Martin away from all the speculation and gives him a chance to show what he can do. If he does well he will put himself in a strong position for either returning to NCFC and fighting for a place in the team or moving permanently to another club. If he doesn''t do so well it will help him to realise his level and maybe go to a League 1 club where he would undoubtedly do well. Good move all round!

Nail hit firmly on the head!

I don''t think Chris Martins that special at Championship level so I suspect he''ll have his work cut out to impress at Palace!

Good luck to super Chris. If thats with city or not. I can''t believe some fans that slate a home grown player . Lambert once said he was the most natural and best finishes at the club. Lambert knows it when he sees a decent player. I''m a little suprised he is behind wilbraham in the pecking order. Also there was talk of him being back up to Wes. But that''s history for now anyway. Good luck . SUPER, super Chris......

Theres a difference between slating a player and constructively critiscising!

Chris Martin will always be remembered by me for playing a big part in our League 1 championship season in 2009-10 when he was outstanding, helped no doubt by a team that was too good for the 3rd Division. Since then he was only very average in the Championship and in the Premiership miles out of his depth!

Too many fans have yellow and green blinkered specs on where home grown players is concerned and will keep on holding on and holding on for the player to come through.

Chris Martin is a good finisher at a level where hes given the space and time to do it. Unfortunately at Premiership level hes too slow and strong enough to create this time and space and even at Championship level hes very average!

I suspect he''ll find himself back at his best level which is League 1 although if hes at an average 3rd tier club he''ll finder it harder than he did with us in 2009/10! 

Ha ha ha your talking tosh mate. He was doing well until an injury last season. He is still a young lad. Clearly has ability . Just write him off then. If he gets a run of games he will bang them in at palace. I still think he has a future with us...

I wasn''t wrong about Ryan Jarvis (now a Leyton Orient squad player!) a few years back who was meant to be the best thing since sliced bread, nor his brother. I remember when Spillane had a few games at CB and I was slated for saying he wouldn''t do anything in this position, wheres hes now - going for trials with Cambridge Utd!

Chris Martin has abiltiy yes, but he hasn''t the pace and strength to be good enough for where we are now and even a club in the Championship with serious promotion ambitions. Add to this a suspect atitude which causes lots and lots of uneccessary baggage and its understandable why Lamberts looking to move him out!

We''ll see in the next couple of years whos talking tosh!

Chris Martin was anything but average before his injury last season

As well as some people that are passionate and hopeful (or those with green and yellow tinted specs) that wanted to see Martin push on from league 1 and reach his undoubtedly higher potential, there''s also a lot of so called ''fans'' that can''t wait to critisise and write off a player when they have a slight dip in form.

Seeing players such as r.Martin, whitbread, ruddy, nelson and many others convincingly prove people on here wrong is one of the reasons I persevere trudging through the rest of the..

I want every player who turns out for Norwich to do well, ridiculous to say otherwise!

Facts are facts though!

Players like Russell Martin, Whitbread (when fit) and Ruddy have pushed on where Chris Martin hasn''t, fact!

Indeed if Russell Martin wasn''t adaptable he would of spent the majority of this season on the bench, although I think hes his lack of CB ability is now catching up with him!

Chris Martin played well last season, but injury set him back and he has always struck me as a confidence player.

Thought he did very well against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and he showed that he has a lot of natural ability - his movement off the ball was excellent at times but would only have been noticed by fans at the game (even then many fans wouldn''t notice this). Not sure why he has been pushed back by Lambert; hopefully a loan spell will show if he really is the real deal or not. At 23 he needs to be showing if he is good enough or not, his development time is over now (I know it sounds young but that is the reality with modern football these days).

Have a feeling if Lambert really wanted him out he would have waited until Jan and then just sold him.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I wasn''t wrong about Ryan Jarvis (now a Leyton Orient squad player!) a few years back who was meant to be the best thing since sliced bread, nor his brother. I remember when Spillane had a few games at CB and I was slated for saying he wouldn''t do anything in this position, wheres hes now - going for trials with Cambridge Utd!

Chris Martin has abiltiy yes, but he hasn''t the pace and strength to be good enough for where we are now and even a club in the Championship with serious promotion ambitions. Add to this a suspect atitude which causes lots and lots of uneccessary baggage and its understandable why Lamberts looking to move him out!

We''ll see in the next couple of years whos talking tosh!

[/quote]

Factually you are well off the mark. Jarvis is at Walsall and doing ok - took a year deal through his choice.

Spillane is 90% going to Dagenham on loan, not Cambridge, he only trained with them for 2 days.

Still...keep up the good work/rumours, these message boards need people like you! 

Just to point out, writing fact at the end of a sentence doesn''t make it a fact, it makes you look stupid for thinking your opinion is fact.

If Martin does well at Palace, I don''t know what will happen. He might come back and fight for a place in the squad, or he might get sold on. Maybe Lambert doesn''t want to have to deal with his problems, even if no major ones have come up in the past few months. Every other player at the club seems fairly mellow, with no big egos, Martin is the only player who can really be put in this category.

Don''t know how much he will be playing for Palace, he might just be back up, if he''s starting games I think he''ll do well.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I want every player who turns out for Norwich to do well, ridiculous to say otherwise!

Facts are facts though!

Players like Russell Martin, Whitbread (when fit) and Ruddy have pushed on where Chris Martin hasn''t, fact!

Indeed if Russell Martin wasn''t adaptable he would of spent the majority of this season on the bench, although I think hes his lack of CB ability is now catching up with him!

[/quote]

The only fact apparent in your posts is that you have an obsessive and pathological dislike of Chris which goes way beyond football. You never miss a chance to have a pop at him whilst the vast majority of posters are not that bothered either way. He goes or he stays. Up to Lambert

What did Chris ever do to you eh? Steal your milk when he was a kid, not buy you a drink, sleep with your missus? frankly, if you don''t have a good reason for this vendetta against him then you need to see someone before this thing you''ve got gets even uglier.

Chris Martin is a good footballer but I would think his days in a Norwich City shirt are numbered.

Looking at it as coldly as you can, he''s a striker/forward who is almost a full calendar year without a competitive goal to his name.

He can''t really be excused because of his age anymore. He''s 23. To put it in perspective Pilkington, Naughton and Vaughan are also 23. Johnson and Jackson are 24, some others in the squad are 25. Bennett and RDL are still 22.

Pilkington, despite being more of a winger, is the best one to make a comparison with. Look how much more dangerous he is.

Cast your minds back to the West Brom game. Chris played some good football against them but only where WBA were happy to let him do it. When he got anywhere near the box they quickly shut him down. And that''s really the problem with him, despite his good technique and good football brain he doesn''t give defenders enough to worry about, he doesn''t cause enough problems.

As much as we all wanted Chris being a City boy to come good, he has turned out for reasons only Chris Martin knows and controls not good enough!

When he came onto the scene he did well, but never appered to move on to the next level.

When was the last time we actually had a player come through the youth system, play regularly and sold onto a better club?

We have had so many nearly men, Shackle, Henderson, Jarvis brothers, Spillane.

I just hope we have already tied up another player to relace Martin in January as pointed out, we are very light on strikers now, Vaughan out for a few months, Jackson not really making any impact at this level, Morison and Holt are the only two firing strikers.

I agree with all you say Indy apart from Shackell who did well for us and as legend says was only sold to subsidise the deal to bring Sibierski to the club. Another great piece of thinking and business by Roedernowhere!

Martin is a talented footballer, and he''s had some good games for us this season and played well before injury last season.Sometimes you need to take a step back to move forward again, and that''s a path that most of our team have already had to make in their careers. From Chris'' point of view, it must be disappointing in having to step down again but it should be a clear signal to him that if he''s going to succeed he is going to have to really push himself. Many talented footballers fall off the pyramid because they aren''t quite willing to go the extra mile. This will be a true test of his character (that many fans continue to besmirch).

Jackson not really making any impact at this level...

Based on what? He''s had 2/3 sub appearances.

Against Stoke, where he just had to run after aimless long balls for 10 mins, and then he played well against Blackburn, can''t remember if he came on against Villa or not.

I''m not Jacksons biggest fan, but writing him off before he''s even had a decent chance....

And this whole ''age isn''t an excuse'' argument in Martins case, well yes it kind of is.

Obviously he isn''t a youngster, but he still has improving to do, and he''s still young enough to do it. Where was our first choice striker at the age of 23?

Some players make it early on in there career (most actually reach near the top of their game by 23/24) but that doesn''t some players aren''t going to improve past this point. Martin might have 2/3 seasons in League One, then make the step up like Holt and Morison have done.

What do you think people were saying about them being able to play at the top level at 23?

Jakson isn''t making an impact at this level though! Even though he isn''t getting the chances, he''s not catching the eye in practice or when given his bit part he must make a big impact!

Not writing anyone off even Chris, but sometimes you just have to say not to be.

There are so many players who go up and down the leagues, but not many make it count when they have the chance, Sharp, Evans, Eastwood and Cotterill to name four striker we were linked with in the past few seasons who have struggled to take their big chance at top level.

It''s not easy but that''s not the fault of the clubs, the clubs need to find the best value players to keep them in the premeirship.

Players who  trun out to be no good reach the pinnacle of their careers at 23/24. Those who arre gifted/slow-starters will keep progressing until their early thirties. Chris will be propping up the bar in back street boozer (with Ryan and Rosie Jarvis) tell anyone who can understand his slurred speech about his glittering career.Mungo

I have to agree with Ginger Pele about Jackson.

Jacksons only been given a few sub appearances so hasn''t had a run. He was unlucky not to have started earlier this season after his great finish to last season!

Offers more than Chris Martin as an attacking threat, hence the reason Jacksons still here! 

But is Jackson good enough? Why has he not been given the chance, as you pointed out his end to last season should have been good enough!

So why has he dropped down the same level as Wilbraham?

Is it that in training Jackson is not showing the same level as Holt & Morison?

I can only judge on what I see, he has not in my view caught my eye with his bit part appearances, he only has a few games before Lambert has the chance to buy another striker.

Not writing him off as I have no influence on his career, only Jackson can either force his way in or not, what I say on here is of no effect.

I have a feeling Jackson just might make you eat your words. We have played with up top for.half the games , Jackson won''t even be thought of in that role. But with two up top and with pace he is quite handy. He also has a killer strike. Oh I can''t wait when he gets a run in the team

people, if Chris martin is as good as you all seem to claim, why has he not scored for nearly a year, most of which was in The championship, and why is Lambert letting him go out on loan? I am afraid he is another player who has flattered to deceive at this Club. he burst on the scene at an early age and has been overhyped ever since, I for one think this is his days being numbered at the club!

''if Chris martin is as good as you all seem to claim''

Really, all of us are claiming he''s wonderful are we?

Seem to be just as many people saying he''s crap, which is far more of an exaggerated opinion than anyone who likes him have. No one is saying he''s a superstar, or is a premiership quality player. why don''t you Chris Martin haters, just move on. Its quite frankly pathetic.

Ginger, this is isn''t about haters or lovers of any players, we all want success and we all have opinions on players.

If a player doesn''t make the team it''s down to themselves, either they are not good enough, don''t fit the teams profile or just don''t meat the managers requirements.

Obviously Chris has to make his mark at Palace to get any chance of another go here!

No one on here hates Chris Martin!

Well they certainly seem to.

People who completely fail to see any kind of redeeming factors in Martins performances this and last season, are completely missing the point. He didn''t have a brilliant time last season, but he still started 21 games, and a further 9 sub appearances, he missed 12 games through injury and then didn''t come off from the bench in the last 3 because we were doing very well without him. He was involved in 30 games, out of 46 (and 34 he was available for). Surely saying he was poor/useless/ineffective last season is just as insulting to Lambert who saw fit to play him in all but 4 of the games he was fit to play in. He didn''t add nothing last season, he may have not been scoring, but he wasn''t rubbish.

I may have done it at times as well, but the complete arrogance and seemingly delight people on here seem to be taking in belittling Chris Martin''s Norwich career, footballing ability and personality is just sad in my eyes. I''m not saying Martin is wonderful, or eve that he will play for Norwich again, but the way in which posters like baldyboy and grantroederdisaster seem to think they can disregard anyone like that is annoying.

gingerpele, you are exactly why I dont post much on here anymore!!!

people are not allowed an opinion of there own, i DON''T hate Chris

Martin as you seem to think, what I dislike is his attitude when he has

played, he reminds me of Mark rivers in that you know within 10 minutes

what sort of game he will have because if things dont go right for him,

he starts to blame others and appears disinterested. the one thing that

is a FACT is as a striker he DOESN@T score enough goals!!! He may have

played all those games but to score a total of 6 goals is poor for a

striker isn''t it? no doubt your comeback will be but he does a lot of

work etc all the same arguments as always, he is a striker who is paid

to score goals and doesn''t score enough. If he scores shed loads of

goals at Palace then great, but he couldn''t do it last season with us so

I doubt he will for them, but I hope I am proved wrong!!!