Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

England vs Spain

I have just heard on the radio that Phil Jones is starting today against Spain, and in midfield!

What the hell is that all about? I thought he was a defender who occasionally strays into midfield, but with Lampard, those two are expected to combat and dominate the best midfield in the world, LMFAO!

Expect an embaresment folks! Why didnt he put Johnson in the squad, he''d have let the spanish know they were in a match!

Capello is a complete joke! how on earth he has won so much is beyond me. No tactical nouse what so ever plays players out of position refuses to play the best team and point blankly ignores players in fine form. How can you drop Rooney for this game? What differance does it make if he is banned for a couple of games at the euros we are playing the best side in the world without our best player!  

Ferguson has played Phil Jones in central midfield for Manchester United this season.  I suspect £20m will look like money well spent, and Jones will be a very good international player in time.  Might get found out today, though we are playing a patched up/second string team against the World & European champions.I think it''s a good selection.  We all know the England first choice XI aren''t good enough so why not try some new players and test them against the best?  I''ll bet Jones has a better game than England''s captain Lampard, or England''s usual captain Terry.

I''ve thought for a while now, why are we still playing Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard, Gerrard etc?

They might be good players for their club, but they aren''t for England. Why not try and build a younger side, get players like Jones, Whilshire, Agbonlahor, Walcott, Richards used to playing with each other, get a style and formation that suits them.

I think, that as an International manager you probably feel pressure into picking the best players/high profiler players, rather than ones that might actually do a better job. Scott Parker has been in and out of the England team for ages, never really keeping a place despite never really doing anything wrong, yet Lampard and Gerrard have countless poor performances together and still play whenever fit....

You''ve answered your own question there Hannibal. The difference it makes is that with Rooney unable to play the first three games, we have to be able to play a different system. What would be the point in continuing to play Rooney and none of our other strikers get used to playing together?

Rooney has nobody to blame but himself the petulant little tw@t.

I personally believe our best chance of getting through the groups is with Bent and Agbonlahor up top. They''re playing brilliantly together for club and we need to transfer that to the international stage.

England have a lack of midfielders who can tackle. Apart from Parker there really isn''t anyone, and Parker still has a habit of getting horribly out of position as wants to play further up the field.The game against Germany in the World Cup showed England''s weakness on the counter attack when all the midfield would push up the field too high.Jones started off as a midfielder and was pushed back into defence by Blackburn when they had a shortage of centre backs. By placing him in the middle of the park he can help screen the defence and hopefully break up the passing triangles that Spain will look to create. Also as Spain don''t really play with an out and out striker but look to get players into the area between midfield and the defenders having someone like Jones there could be a very affective move. Obviously its impossible to know how well Jones will do in that position until England give it a go, but as mentioned above this is an area of the pitch that Jones has been played by Man U so far this season. Will be interesting to see if it works or not, but it is refreshing to see an England manager trying something new for once.

Personally Bethnal, I think Rodwell deserves a chance for England next to Barry/Parker. I presume we will be playing 4-2-3-1 tonight so he can fit straight in.

I''m surprised he wasn''t purchased by someone like Man Utd earlier, and like Jones, pushed back into the CB role.

Shock news just released !!  Harry Redknapp to face trial next year for tax evasion so somehow I don''t think he''ll be next England manager. [:(]

[quote user="paul moy"]Shock news just released !!  Harry Redknapp to face trial next year for tax evasion so somehow I don''t think he''ll be next England manager. [:(][/quote]

I did fancy ''arry for a spell as I have got a bit disallusioned with managers from abroad. We have tried it at it has been proven that they have no magic wand.

Sven was OK for a while, but I can''t get to grips with Crapello, despite his marvellous start in the job.

Granted McClaren was possibly the worst England manager ever, but I would still want to go English/British again.

At one time O''Neill would have done for me, but he seems to have lost himself in controversy lately.

I can''t think of anybody else. The whole scene is devoid of obvious England candidates now that ''arry''s out.

The self-styled "Special One," would be a lot of fun and you never know with him. That''s going foreign again. Oh well!  One more time maybe.

right to drop Rooney... infact Rooney, like it or not, is not good enough to play at the finals....Scoring a goal against tin pot nations like Bulgaria or Andorra is what you would expect him to do...Wayne Rooney hasnt scored a COMEPTITVE FINALS goal for england in 6 years... Euro 2004.... is this the kind of striker you want leading a line because he "might" score against Germany... or do you want someone who Will find the net against decent opposition.rooney would have hardly got a touch today... the England team shouldnt pick the best players... Rooney, Terry, Lampard.. it should pick the players good ennough to win the game... The Agbonlahors, Charlie Adams and Bradley Johnsons of the world would show pride and fight tooth and nail for their country.... If capello had any B*****ks he''d leave Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and Rooney at home next summer....

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I can''t think of anybody else. The whole scene is devoid of obvious England candidates now that ''arry''s out.[/quote]

years ago the England job used to go the best English manager in the Land.. Robson had won trophies, so had greenwood and of course Ramsay before managing England.

like it or not in terms of Trophies, promotions and on field success Neil Warnock is currently the best english manager in the game! more promotions and less relegations than Arry. over to you FA.

[quote user="Asobi Seksu"]I could not care about this what so ever! Though I do hope we get dicked!!! 5-0 would be so funny![/quote]

Not worth the post [:P] You look to be standing near a large doughnut - that''s what you are that is.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]right to drop Rooney... infact Rooney, like it or not, is not good enough to play at the finals....Scoring a goal against tin pot nations like Bulgaria or Andorra is what you would expect him to do...Wayne Rooney hasnt scored a COMEPTITVE FINALS goal for england in 6 years... Euro 2004.... is this the kind of striker you want leading a line because he "might" score against Germany... or do you want someone who Will find the net against decent opposition.rooney would have hardly got a touch today... the England team shouldnt pick the best players... Rooney, Terry, Lampard.. it should pick the players good ennough to win the game... The Agbonlahors, Charlie Adams and Bradley Johnsons of the world would show pride and fight tooth and nail for their country.... If capello had any B*****ks he''d leave Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and Rooney at home next summer....[/quote]Agreed. This is the manager who played Rooney ahead of Crouch, despite the latter scoring more goals than the former, in qualifiers. Time to replace the glory-seeking has-beens with those hungry to play for our country with the respect and honour such a privilege being picked bestows upon them.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I can''t think of anybody else. The whole scene is devoid of obvious England candidates now that ''arry''s out.[/quote]

years ago the England job used to go the best English manager in the Land.. Robson had won trophies, so had greenwood and of course Ramsay before managing England.

like it or not in terms of Trophies, promotions and on field success Neil Warnock is currently the best english manager in the game! more promotions and less relegations than Arry. over to you FA.

[/quote]

Yes, he knows the job inside out, but he''s the kind of loose cannon that the FA run a mile from. He''s not liked much either, poor Colin.

This was the case with Brian Clough, who ticked all the boxes in the requirements you mentioned.

Not Neil Warnock !!!  I''d rather have any of Alan Curbishley, Glenn Hoddle, Steve Copple.... in fact just about any other English manager. [:D] 

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]right to drop Rooney... infact Rooney, like it or not, is not good enough to play at the finals....

[/quote]

Rooney is not good enough to play at the European Championships!?!?  Really!?!?

Rooney is England''s best player, FACT.  He is one of the best players in the world, FACT.  To say England should leave their best player at home who is also one of the best players in the world is ridiculous!

[quote user="Boyo"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]right to drop Rooney... infact Rooney, like it or not, is not good enough to play at the finals....[/quote]

Rooney is not good enough to play at the European Championships!?!?  Really!?!?

Rooney is England''s best player, FACT.  He is one of the best players in the world, FACT.  To say England should leave their best player at home who is also one of the best players in the world is ridiculous!

[/quote]Yeah he really showed us this in the last World Cup. Rooney should never represent England again after his record. And I hate how the media jump all over him, reminds me of Shearer in some ways. He would be crap for games on end then score a hattrick vs some country the size of Suffolk and would suddenly be super Shearer again only to do naff all when it mattered.

:sigh:  Rooney is not world class, lets nip that in the bu early doors.  His record for England isn''t much better than Crouchs.  Have a look at the teams hes scored against for England in the last 4 years and it doesn''t make for good reading.  Bulgari, Swiss, Croatia, Andorra, Kazak, Slovaks, Belarus, Russia, Estonia. We''ve played many top teams during that time and hes faetured and not scored, and people mock Crouch for that...

Rooney probably is our best player, but hes not in the class of the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Villa (who was poor tonight, bar 1 volley), Aguero...

We showed tonight we can play without him.  Imagine how frustrated Rooney would''ve been playing in the Bent role tonight???  Probably would''ve been another red card for him. 

Call me ridiculous, but i would not take him to the Euros...

Absolutely spot on Jed...

Except the missing ''a'' in ''Bulgaria''. ;-)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]i am calling you crazy. who''s gonna score our goals? he is a world class player[/quote]

Not Rooney, he hasn''t scored in a tournament since 2004, if it were up to me, the next chance he''d have would be 10 years after that, IF he''d earnt it and shown a small amount of self discipline...

[quote user="jed exodous"]

:sigh:  Rooney is not world class, lets nip that in the bu early doors. 

[/quote]

Go and ask anyone who knows a bit about football... Paul Lambert, Arsene Wenger, Kenny Dalglish, Lionel Messi, Xavi, Zidane...someone like that. Ask them if Rooney is world class.

They''ll all tell you he is. You can bank on it.

Good performance from England tonight, by the way.

Worked hard for it.

Still got a bit of a way to go but credit where it''s deserved, not many teams beat Spain.

Kind of get the feeling though that plenty of English people will be disappointed they''ve won because they''d have preferred them to get stuffed so they can slate them.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="jed exodous"]

:sigh:  Rooney is not world class, lets nip that in the bu early doors. 

[/quote]

Go and ask anyone who knows a bit about football... Paul Lambert, Arsene Wenger, Kenny Dalglish, Lionel Messi, Xavi, Zidane...someone like that. Ask them if Rooney is world class.

They''ll all tell you he is. You can bank on it.

[/quote]

Can you arrange some meetings for me then please?  I''m free all day tomorrow, a bit busy during the week, but i may be able to squeeze something in on Thursday morning if any of those mugs are available...  [:D]

Seriousley, I dont think Wayne Rooney is world class, whatever you want that to mean...  Hes a good player, but in a world 11 and 7 subs, i''m afraid he wouldn''t even make my bench...  Englands win rate without him is as good as with hm.  He doesn''t score very many against the best teams for us, hes got an attitude that he cant control and he cant handle the media.  Also, imagine if your Bent, Wellbeck, Sturidge, Defoe, Carroll or whoever starts for us next summer, how about if we get through the groups, are you then gonna drop someone whos contributed to that for a player who put the whole thing in jeopardy? 

He looks world class in a world class side like United, as would a lot of players.

If you were to rate him solely on his England performances, would you call him ''world class''? I very much doubt that any of us would.

rooney did have the potential to be world class, but he didn`t fulfill it. he isn`t `world class ` on so many levels, not only his goalscoring record at major tournaments, but also his petulance. a true world class player doesn`t get himself sent off, and leave his team-mates up against it, or get himself banned as often as he does. england doesn`t have a single player who i would call `world class` right now.

and as for the "ask messi etc" if rooney`s world class, it`s like whenever pele is asked if the football team of whichever country he being interviewed in, can win the next world cup/european championship, he always says "yes"!. what else are they going to say?!