Sign in to follow this  
Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son

R.Martin replacing De Laet

The obvious reason was that De Laet had made some silly mistakes so R.Martin replaced him in the starting XI. But does anyone else think that Lambert was thinking ahead, that De Laet wouldn''t be able to play against United(as he is on loan from them) and it would be madness to go into a game against one of the best teams in the world with a defence that hadn''t already played together.

Could be a point but i dont think that is really the reason, you have got to think of all the other attributes that follow with changin it up the back and it may just be a statical descision.

No, I dont think Lambert would drop De Laet for that reason. De Laet had made some silly mistakes and rightly so was dropped. It all comes to experience I guess and I dont doubt he will develop into a strong defender in time. Martin deserves his place after having two excellent games and a outstanding season last year.

I think the main factor is that he must have been looking at Russell Martin at centre back in training because of our lack of cover there and been impressed by what he saw. With De Laet making a few errors lately, he has just decided enough was enough. Probably just me but I think what may also have sealed it for De Laet was his really bad reaction to that Stoke goal. He was clearly at fault for the goal and instead of just holding his hands up, he tried to blame it on Rudd. Which isn''t exactly what you need when you are a young keeper starting in an important game. Over the last 2 years that is definitely not what we have been about. So I think that will have annoyed Lambert a lot.

That is a good point Jacko - I had forgotton about his reaction to the goal (except it was West Brom not Stoke :) ). Lambers philiosophy is about creating team spirit so yea I guess this totally went against that. Good point!

I''m sorry, am I missing something here? As far as I''m aware, unless it is specifically written into the loan deal, ie by Man U, there is nothing to stop De Laet playing against them. Is that the case? I haven''t seen anything to indicate that Sir Alex has asked for the clause to be put in, has anyone?

[quote user="Scooby"]I''m sorry, am I missing something here? As far as I''m aware, unless it is specifically written into the loan deal, ie by Man U, there is nothing to stop De Laet playing against them. Is that the case? I haven''t seen anything to indicate that Sir Alex has asked for the clause to be put in, has anyone?[/quote]

It''s a general rule that prem players on loan to other prem teams can''t play against their parent club. I think it came in after lua lua played against newcastle for Portsmouth a few years ago

I don''t think there is a clause in this or any other similar deal because it is a Premier League rule that loanees cannot play in games against their parent clubs.

R Martin could go onto become a first choice centre back for us and with him the right sided CB and De Laet, once he gets the chance to get back in the side, as the left sided CB, we''d have a potentially very good partnership-both on their favourite sides, both able to play the ball out (but hoof if you have to, Ritchie!) and both with pace and an abilty to win the ball cleanly.

Thats to take nothing away from Leon or Zak-with the latter, potentially (that word again!) our most technically gifted centre back ,or Ayala and Ward.

But Martins rise and rise in the position does make the competition there ever fiercer. Can''t be a bad thing.

Interesting point by the OP but there''s no way it''s a plausible reason. You don''t change your centre-back for 2 winnable games (Bolton & Sunderland) to give the new centre-back experience going into a one-off game that you are likely to lose anyway.

The one main advantage De Laet has over R Martin is his pace but Martin isn''t the slowest defender around either so I think it''s purely tactical and so far once again it has proved a wise decision.

[quote user="curly_whirly_tipz"]That is a good point Jacko - I had forgotton about his reaction to the goal (except it was West Brom not Stoke :) ). Lambers philiosophy is about creating team spirit so yea I guess this totally went against that. Good point![/quote]

Yeah it was. My bad!

[quote user="Bovril"]Interesting point by the OP but there''s no way it''s a plausible reason. You don''t change your centre-back for 2 winnable games (Bolton & Sunderland) to give the new centre-back experience going into a one-off game that you are likely to lose anyway.

The one main advantage De Laet has over R Martin is his pace but Martin isn''t the slowest defender around either so I think it''s purely tactical and so far once again it has proved a wise decision.[/quote]

I don''t think that is entirely right. Whatever the reasons for the change at Bolton, I have no doubt that continuity was at least a factor against Sunderland. In fgact, I predicted by the game to friends that Martin would play to ensure that he and Barnett had some more game timeand experience for Old trafford.