Sign in to follow this  
Big Rob

Surely its time for video replays now

After just seeing the Man Utd Spurs game and what happened at the end we MUST have the 4th official observing the game on a monitor pitch-side.

There are too many bad decisions being made by the officials which is not always their fault, after all if they dont see it they cant give it.

[quote]After just seeing the Man Utd Spurs game and what happened at the end we MUST have the 4th official observing the game on a monitor pitch-side. There are too many bad decisions being made by the off...[/quote]

like carragher''s handball, that could have changed the game

Just from the last two matches we could be a place or two higher in the league had the Portsmouth penalty rightly not been given and either of the two good shouts against Liverpool gone our way. Also, Finnan should have been sent off and Hyppia booked a lot earlier.

I have been hugely disappointed by the refs this season, they appear no better and sometimes worse than those we had last year.

[quote]Just from the last two matches we could be a place or two higher in the league had the Portsmouth penalty rightly not been given and either of the two good shouts against Liverpool gone our way. Also,...[/quote]

They are worse period.

For me the big question is where do you draw the line?

Spurs goal?
Carragher handball?
Leon Handball at Pompey (still not sure one way or another on that despite 15 replays from 6 angles...)
Leon push for Hux disallowed goal?
Job offside against City?

All those appear ok. Until you try and decide when to look at the video. Do you wait for a break in the game? For last night what if the ball did not go dead and Manure counter attack and score, the ball in the back of the net the next time the ball goes dead; or Keane committs a red card foul. Do neither apply because having reviewed the evidence the goal stood and subsequent play ''did not happen''? What about the time, is that added back on from the time the ball crosses the line?

Go back another game - at home to spurs. What about the decision to award spurs a corner despite Keane putting the ball out? From that corner we conceeded that fatal first goal despite having dominated the game. It was an innocuous but match deciding decision. The same for offsides, do they all get decided by video panel?

My concern is that managers like Ferguson, Allardyce would abuse any technology to their advantage and it would only be a matter of time before they dispute every decision, given or otherwise, and we end up with a 90 game lasting 4 hours like American Football does. At the end of the day EVERY decision made by a ref or linesman alters the course of the game.

I am not against technology but unless it is very strictly controlled it will change the game beyond all recognition from where we are today. I for one like discussing the dodgy decisions, accept that refs are human (and not as good as when I was a boy!) and above all realise that football is only a game, as events in Asia currently remind us.

To me football is nowhere near ready to use video replays in an effective manner and it will be a couple of years at least before any agreed position can be reached.

OTBC

Maybe we should be looking at other sports for a lead, the electronic eye used at tennis would be an option, though it''s sometimes been open to question. Or ice-hockey where a much smaller item (a puck!) often travelling faster than a ball into a smaller goal is never open to question. Imagine, the ball crosses the line and a siren goes off, celebrations all round, no criticism off officials, everybody happy. Except Fergie of course who''s defence for that shocking decision was to point out that his team should have been awarded a penalty earlier, meaning Tottenham only deserved a draw!!!! I give up 

[quote]The EDP has set up an online poll to gauge opinion on this controversial subject. Please go to http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/Sport/Default.aspx and vote - you may be surprised at the result.[/quote]

Well I''ve voted.... For no.  Although I think the lino was a joke I don''t want video replays in football.  Why?

1. Football aint like cricket.  Cricket is 10 times slower.  It would ruin the flow of the game.
  2. Where do you stop?  If it is brought in for goal lines, will it be brought in for offsides, then penalty decisions, then bookings....
  3. You get a rubbish decision one week, a lucky one the next.  It''s all evened out over the course of a season
  4. How do you implement it?  Just the Premiership?  Just the top division in every Country?  Or EVERY league in every country all round the world.  What about the Conference, or grass roots?  Where do you stop?

Football has lasted this long without video replays.  Why start now?

It is wonderful when you watch live rugby and the decision goes out to the video ref....the tension is excruciating and hieghtens the pleasure/pain.

With videos: England would twice have remained in the World Cup for Sol Campbell''s goals.

We would be several points better off and disputes would settle

ALSO

you only have them at Chamionship/Prem level. simple

I play amateur rugby and we kinda know its not part of our game but the professional one. No problem at all. The mark of where you stop is very straight forward.

All FA cup games after 3rd round etc...

Well let''s just hope our lucky ones are to come then. Other than Flemo''s lucky break at Man City I think we are definitely in the red in terms of these decisions this season - if evening out is to occur we could do with it starting soon

It''s not very common to see such a glaring error as the one yesterday - which was a total disgrace and personally I think the game doesn''t need video breaks.
However, I do think that it''d be good to hand out yellow or red cards to players for blatent cheating captured on video. If that were the case then surely it''ll begin to disappear.

These bad refereeing  decisions  seem to be getting worse  , and  it seems to me that  the refs are biased towards the " big " clubs !   ............  given that  football is now big business  , with TV  companies  shelling out millions for exclusive  coverage .........  and the big money clubs  dealing in  sums like 20 million pounds for one player  .......... one would have to be a bit naive to think  that refs are NOT being  " leaned " on ......... or  given  " perks "    to favour  the the big money clubs ..........   don`t tell me this isn`t possible , where there`s money ... there`s crooks !  always has been !!    thats why we definately  need a system  that doesn`t rely on the decision of one man !!  and  sooner or later , this has to mean   camera replay  judging  ........   the technology is there  .....   as  I see it  an initial system  should  start  where  ALL penalty decisions  will require  action replays  , don`t tell me that this would waste time , because  everytime a ref awards a penalty he is ALWAYS surrounded by protesting players  for several minutes  ,  if this ref gave the square sign  those players would shut it until  the replay  came on the big screen , and the decision given , also the crowd  would be given the opportunity of seeing for themselves  what exactly  occurred  ........... it will happen !!

Can I just suggest something that should have happened last night, the goalkeeper Carroll should have called it a goal ?

There have been many occasions in sporting history when a player has stopped play etc to act as a true professional.

That West Ham Italian player, Di Canio, picked ball up instead of scoring when player injured on ground. New Zealand rugby player whose first thought waas to put Colin Charvis (Weslh player) in recovery position after hard tackle etc.

Surely Carroll knew it was over the line, his first thought was to look at linesman, he looked like a man who was guilty.

I am not suggesting that handballs etc players stop play and tell the referee but surely Man Utd could have suffered one defeat instead of having a goal keeper who now has an even worse reputation. Heroes or villains come from moments like this, in my mind Carroll''s the villain not the linesman.

Nick

Here''s the truth on what happened!

An FA spokesman after the game absolved the linesman of any responsibility for the apparently mistaken decision not to award a goal to Spurs after a shot from the halfway line crossed the goal line by at least a metre.

"The shot came in from an unusual distance and as such caught the linesman out of position forcing him to race back towards the goal as the play developed", explained the spokesman, "As he ran, the United scarf he was wearing under his shirt came loose and fluttered up into his face obscuring his view and preventing him from making the call. It was just one of those things."

In response to further questions from the Press the spokesman explained, "If they don''t already have a United tattoo most officials on game day try to wear a scarf or a replica shirt under their regulation kit to show their support for the worlds greatest club."

Continuing, the spokesman said, "The linesman in this case had chosen to wear a United scarf, a common choice that is in keeping with FA guidelines. The root cause of the problem lies not with the linesman but with the players and management of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club who broke one the most important unwritten rules of the English FA: They placed a shot on target at Old Trafford."

Commenting on the Spurs managers reaction, he said, "Martin Jol is new to this country and perhaps he s not yet familiar with some of our finer traditions. Fortunately if he doesn''t yet understand that for the greater good of the game visiting teams, by tradition, are not expected to try to score at Old Trafford then our officials are in a position to help Mr Jol make that cultural adjustment."

Chuckling to himself the FA spokesman added "The goal had to be disallowed to avoid us descending down a slippery slope that would be bad for the national game. It''s a fine line the officials have to walk. If they award a goal this week, next week someone might expect a penalty or ask that Van Nistelrooy be booked for diving. Can you imagine? That would just never do. No no no. Shocking, just the thought of it."

premiership refereeing is terrible. Handballs may aswel be ignored. penalties get rewarded for stupid things like the leon incident. Cards arent given correctly eg when hux was brought down against arsenal. I think its the pace of the premiership though

I see that Worthy has now added his views on  camera replays  , and endorses the use of them  to a large extent ! ........  on top of this  was the Sky sports   report that  the FA are assessing the feasability  of using this system , the recent run of " funny " ref decisions might have triggered  this action ?    as I said , it will come , NO doubt about that !!

Agree Vicar - yes we probably would have remained in two World Cups for a while but equally we probably would not have won it in 1966 on the basis of video evidence!

I raised this topic many years ago at a football forum held by NCFC and was shot down in flames by many of those present with the notable exception of Nigel Worthington. He was probably only too aware of the implications when the lack of decisions or cheating in the game is allowed which often condemns clubs to relegation and Managers to the dole queue. No, the officials must have help and quickly.