Sign in to follow this  
he

Good game today, but want Grant Holt back in the team

Good game (not result btw) by Norwich today, but I missed Grant Holt. He is our best striker, but is behind Steve Morison, Chris Martin and Simeon Jackson in the pecking order at the moment. Get Grant Holt in the team and he will get us goals! He is in such fine goalscoring form and has been for years. Think Steve Morison was good today to, but think Holt is even better. At least I think Holt should have come on sometime during todays game. Maybe room for both Morison and Holt, together they have a lot of muscles to hassle the other teams defenders. Maybe Lambert have a plan, but hope Holt soon will be back rather sooner than later.

Difficult one. Holt is the better finisher and makes better decisions under pressure but definitely doesnt possess the mobility of Morison to get into those positions at this level.

Based on his ten minute cameo on Monday night I''d be happy if Grant Holt didn''t play for us again all season. I''m sure there will be  Championship club willing to pay £2-3million for him in January.

Shack that is more ridiculous than the critiquing of Morison.

Do you really think that was how Holt will perform over 90 mins? Although Lambert probably didn''t want him to do exactly what he did, i''m fairly sure he would have told him just to go and push the defenders around, try and cause a bit of danger. You can''t expect any serious output from a 10-15 min display when your team is 2-0 up. Yes it was fairly poor and he did some silly things, but it wound the clock down a little and probably wound Sunderland up a bit as well.

I seriously can''t believe you don''t want Holt to play again this season....

[quote user="hels"]Good game (not result btw) by Norwich today, but I missed Grant Holt. He is our best striker, but is behind Steve Morison, Chris Martin and Simeon Jackson in the pecking order at the moment. Get Grant Holt in the team and he will get us goals! He is in such fine goalscoring form and has been for years. Think Steve Morison was good today to, but think Holt is even better. At least I think Holt should have come on sometime during todays game. Maybe room for both Morison and Holt, together they have a lot of muscles to hassle the other teams defenders. Maybe Lambert have a plan, but hope Holt soon will be back rather sooner than later.[/quote]There''s no doubting Holty has been brilliant for us over the last couple of seasons, but we''ve obtained 6 from 9 points since he''s started, and caused the Champions massive problems today. Morison was massively frustratig in terms of decision making today, but for me he still offers much more than Holt in a loan striker role.

I think, I hope Shack''s having a laugh.

I like Morison but Holt is still our best forward and I''m sure he will be back causing trouble to posing defences.

Perhaps Shacks has forgotten the Chelsea game too!

He was f*cking terrible on Monday. You''re trying to justify his performance which is half the problem with Norwich fans. Nobody wants to criticise ''The Messiah''. I firmly believe that he has had just one decent game for us this season against Stoke. His goal against Chelsea covered up a pretty average performance.I''d be happy to get a couple of million for him in January to put towards another striker. Sorry.

Thought Holty could have done a job today, as there was too often too much space between Hools and Morison. Don''t get me wrong, Hools was good, but I thought 20 mins for Holt in front of Hools would have been interesting.

Some people on here haven''t got a clue!

Morison has been part of a winning side for the last two matches. He scored last match. He won a LOT of balls in the air against Sunderland and won his fair share today. He is quicker than Holt, more agile than Holt, and arguably better at winning balls in the air than Holt. Holty has a good goalscoring instinct, and tends to make early decisions, which is something we need to improve on. Morison has done nothing wrong to suggest he should be dropped, he was brought into the side as Holt looked sluggish against West Brom and needed a rest.

Now that doesnt mean Holt is banished to 4th choice striker. Jackson was brought on as he has pace and we were finding gaps in the Man Utd defence. We weren''t pumping high balls into the box in the last 15 mins. C Martin was brought on late for Hooly to play behind the strikers, a position Holty doesn''t play. Had Morison come off, I''m confident Holty would have replaced him.

Just because Holty has done unbelievably well for us over the past two seasons, that doesn''t mean he has to be chosen over Morison for sentimental value.

Many of the posters on here like to say "In Lambert I trust." Well, try putting that to the test. I am absolutely certain that Lambert has a good enough football mind to figure out to to best utilise the players available to him, and I don''t think it''s got anything to do with sentiment or giving Holt 10-15 minutes. My own opinion is that if we are in front in a game and need someone up front to help see the game out by scrapping, holding the ball up, pushing off into the corner, then Holt''s the man. I''m equally sure Grant will be given his opportunity if we see our options reduced through injury etc. Not sure if that''s Lambert''s thought but I am patient enough to wait and see.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]He was f*cking terrible on Monday. You''re trying to justify his performance which is half the problem with Norwich fans. Nobody wants to criticise ''The Messiah''. I firmly believe that he has had just one decent game for us this season against Stoke. His goal against Chelsea covered up a pretty average performance.

I''d be happy to get a couple of million for him in January to put towards another striker. Sorry.
[/quote]

Holt was given MOM against Chelsea by Sky Sports, Telegraph and Times reporters and virtually everyone who actually watched the game - hardly an "average" performance.

I like Morison, but unless he improves his finishing I don''t think Lambert will totally abandon Holt.

Shack what on earth did you expect him to do in 10 minuets or so against a team who are desperately trying to score?

What has Morison done, that is so wonderful you want Holt to leave? Ok he''s played in two wins and a good performance against Man.U, but he has missed a few very good chances already, for some reason they are all forgotten, when in fact they are just as bad as the mistakes De Laet made.

Holt gets plenty of criticism, he didn''t have any decent games in the first 10 last season, and went on to score over 20. Holt WILL NOT be leaving, and wanting him to leave is pretty much the same as wanting Lambert to leave, i''m honestly sitting here in disbelief that a Norwich fan can turn on our best player over the past two years because he''s only had a couple of decent performances out of 4 starts. Its the bloody premiership, what did you expect Holt to do?

Have to say Holt is a great City player but he lacks speed and that was why, I reckon, he didn''t play yesterday. Not all our players are suited to play against certain opposition. Jackson and Morison created a goal-scoring opportunity for each other in the short time they had on the pitch. Holt has had a poor start in all the seasons he''s begun with us. This season we cannot afford to drop any points for sentimental reasons. I seem to recall City Angel questionning his starting at times last season.Deja vue methinks with this thread.

Gingerpele:

Shack what on earth did you expect him to do in 10 minuets or so against a team who are desperately trying to score? What has Morison done, that is so wonderful you want Holt to leave? Ok he''s played in two wins and a good performance against Man.U, but he has missed a few very good chances already, for some reason they are all forgotten, when in fact they are just as bad as the mistakes De Laet made. Holt gets plenty of criticism, he didn''t have any decent games in the first 10 last season, and went on to score over 20. Holt WILL NOT be leaving, and wanting him to leave is pretty much the same as wanting Lambert to leave, i''m honestly sitting here in disbelief that a Norwich fan can turn on our best player over the past two years because he''s only had a couple of decent performances out of 4 starts. Its the bloody premiership, what did you expect Holt to do?

Huzzah! [Y]

Reading this is like going back in time. Some people need to think back to the last time we were here and the outrage over Iwan being let go. So many fans realised that Iwan didn''t have the pace yet could do a job from the bench, as well as morale etc. Why is Holt any different than Iwan? Both are legends. Both have scored vital goals for City. Both hassled opposition defences. Both created goal-scoring opportunities for teammates. Neither are renowned for their pace.I love Drury yet even I don''t have rose-tinted specs on and demand that he still play. He''s still a good LB back Tierney is much quicker, younger and match fit, although great to Drury on the bench yesterday.

None of our strikers have been particularly outstanding if were honest so why Holt of all people is being singled out as a loose end is beyond me.

Morison needs to learn to make decisions quicker, Vaughn is an injury liability and Jackson and Martin were both considered too light weight before the season had even started. So to sell the only other striker we can rely on seems daft.

Thought Morison was average; he didn''t win many of the key aerial balls that he needed to - and looked a split-second short in his thinking when it came to striking. He''s still learning and it''s a little bit painful when points are there for the taking.

I''m guessing our poor finishing frustrated PL and that''s why Chris Martin came on. Otherwise, surely Grant Holt would have replaced Morison?

Yeah, think I agree.

The chance where morison should have passed across box to Hoolahan - Holt would have seen it earlier, they have had connection over past years.

Might still not have scored, or got in that position.

Over the moon with performance yesterday. i don''t care about the result, its all about the way we played against a top-top team!

Perhaps true, but would Holt have controlled the high ball, turned and lost Evans, and sped away from the onrushing defenders?

Missed first twenty minutes of listening to game on Canaries Player and only saw the MoTD highlights but thought all the lads were excellent including Morison and it was just down to finishing that we didn''t get a fairer reflection of the game in the result.

Interesting MoTD last night in that Lee Dixon seemed to have a positive effect on the analysis and even stirred Shearer into some semi intelligent comments - what I thought was telling was their remarks on Carroll for Liverpool and his first goal of the season in the prem and how he is having to adjust within the Liverpool team and with an established group both in training and match. Someone will set me straight on stats but Steve Morison has played four games - two as sub or is it 5 games and yet he has scored once too so I would hope he has and needs some development time too but within the short period already has shown some great potential and has a good footballing brain, it''s just some decisions that need faster thinking and execution so let''s see eh?

I f*cking love Grant Holt and we will see much much more of him this season but he will be more effective against some teams than others and I don''t believe that is just sentimentalism.

Holt can hold the ball up, Morrison looked tired towards the end, I would have had Holt on for the last 25, would have taken some pressure off

[quote user="Largey"]Perhaps true, but would Holt have controlled the high ball, turned and lost Evans, and sped away from the onrushing defenders?[/quote]

No. He''d have fallen flat on his front to try and win a free kick.

Bazinga!

On a genuine note though, there is absolutely no way Holt should be considered for being sold. He brings so much to this club with his leadership, sense of humour, not to mention his abilities on the pitch.

Everyone says that Martin is the most natural finisher at the club but you don''t get 54 goals in 93 appearances if you can''t finish, regardless of what league you''re in.

I''m still surprised that we haven''t tried Holt playing off Morison at any point. Use Morison as the target man and Holt will gamble on those knock downs more than a lot of people do because he will know exactly where he would be trying to knock the ball down to. Obviously I don''t see them in training but it seems this would be more effective than when we''ve seen Morison playing off Holt. Switch the roles.

[quote user="Largey"]Perhaps true, but would Holt have controlled the high ball, turned and lost Evans, and sped away from the onrushing defenders?[/quote]

No. He''d have fallen flat on his front to try and win a free kick.

Bazinga!

On a genuine note though, there is absolutely no way Holt should be considered for being sold. He brings so much to this club with his leadership, sense of humour, not to mention his abilities on the pitch.

Everyone says that Martin is the most natural finisher at the club but you don''t get 54 goals in 93 appearances if you can''t finish, regardless of what league you''re in.

I''m still surprised that we haven''t tried Holt playing off Morison at any point. Use Morison as the target man and Holt will gamble on those knock downs more than a lot of people do because he will know exactly where he would be trying to knock the ball down to. Obviously I don''t see them in training but it seems this would be more effective than when we''ve seen Morison playing off Holt. Switch the roles.

I think if Holt plays off Morison, that would limit what Hoolahan can do, and since Hoolahan is our best player, its probably not a good idea.

Sorry GP, I did just mean as an option. I don''t think we should be changing anything at the moment with any of our personnel. But if Wes were to be "unavailable", (I don''t want to jinx him by saying it) or struggling to make an impact, it would be an option I would quite like to see.

Yeah that makes sense. I''m sure it could work, having both Morison and Holt on the pitch is an interesting prospect. Could also be an option if/when Bennett or Pilkington can''t play (can''t imagine Bennett, Pilks and Hoolahan will all be fit to play every game this season...)

But for now, looks like we have found our system and best starting XI...

I agree. Whilst Morison looks good and I like him, he''s just not as good as Holt. Morison is very slow, Holt is also slow but quicker. In terms of of ability in the air, Holt is pretty similar. Argh, I dunno.I just felt looking at those chances yesterday Holt could have scored.