Sign in to follow this  
ziggy

unleash the holt

would have scored yesterday im sure , cant understand why he wasnt sent on . the match was perfect for him to play a part but chris martin was put on ???? very strange . i rate morison but he has no first touch at the moment and kept giving the ball away . oh well , break for a week then hopefully lambert will unleash the holt in the must win swansea game . otbc super grant holt norwich no9

I am sure Holt will get his time and he will take his chances and start hitting the back of the net. Especially after being sidelined as that will probably fire him up and make him all the more determined.

However I dont like or dislike Morison any more than Holt - I think its still to early to make a fair judgement. I think on another day we would have taken all of those chances and dead and burried man u - but we just seemed to be unlucky and it was just ''one of those days''

Yeh I cant wait for Holt''s return to be fair.We can not keep forgiving and making excuses for Morrison. Sure he is causing a problem for defenders. Yes Sir Alex backed him. Yes he will come good . But NO he can''t hit the fecking target ><

i feel Morison is the mosy capable of playing up top on his own in the premier league yet i think Holt is the most clinical in our squad and Martin is the best finisher, and i think a 4-4-2 for the last 15 with holt and morison would of been good IMO as holt could work off morisons hold up play and hopefully finish off a chance. anyway, i''m not paul lambert and im not going to criticise anyone after that performance. and my god, having been to old trafford now, that is one scary place to play football with that stadium looking down on you! we were''t phased at all!

I feel Holt brought on for the last 25 may have made the difference, not because his goal scoring ability is higher than Morrison''s but he can hold the ball up better.

Not only can he hold the ball up and brings other players in but knows how to waste time, breaks the game up, gets himself fouled, runs into the corners etc.

As it was, we were either attacking or being attacked with Man U right down our throats after each of our failed attacks - surprise, surprise they eventually ground us down!

Really don''t understand this Holt over Morison stuff. Steve is in the team on meri,t he caused Jonny Evans no end of problems over 60 minutes before tiring (understandable for a guy playing up top on his own.). The two best players on our team or fox and wes you build the team to suit these guys and the shape with morison in has been much better. Could he be a bit better with his decison making yes, but so could Holt, why change a side that is playing well and has a good balance.Might we need a new striker in January I would say so but right now Morison deserves his place on merit ahead of Holt.

Worth a read for the Morison stuffhttp://www.holtamania.com/2011/10/01/story-of-a-match-man-utd/

whilst Morison''s running and effort at Old Trafford was praiseworthy, it counts for nothing if the end product is not there. We all know about Holt''s finishing abilty but what he also is ,is possibly our best crosser of a ball aswell. Just look back at last seasons DVD and count how many goals he created for others when put in the position down the channels where Morison was when Hoolahan was free in the middle. I''d suggest we would have gone 1-0 up at that point ?!

i seriously can not believe that after the last 3 games some people still think holt is in the same league as morison.......u will see very few better lone striker performances than the one u saw on saturday, especially at old trafford!  yes, he''s not the most natural finisher you''ll ever see but he led the line absolutely brilliantly, get over your grant holt fascination, he doesn''t cut it at this level, never will.  ideal to have around the squad but u won''t see him figure much this season

When we play 2 up front Holt must be the first name on the team sheet. I think we should play 2 upfront at home.

Man of the Match against Chelsea , yes when we play one up im fine with Morison up front and maybe with Holt if we play 2 up.

I cannot believe how short some peoples memories are. not in terms of nostalgia but in terms of Holtys all round game. I only hope Paul Lambert isnt as short sighted as you lot. Holty may well be the difference between staying up or relegation.

."""u will see very few better lone striker performances than the one u saw on saturday"""

Other than he could have held the ball up a little better, broken the game up a little better and perhaps scored a goal

We were playing the champions of the premier league. Yes they were very under-par. But we played when upfront.

Yes Hoolahan can support the lone striker, and morison won his fair share of flick ons to wes. But I would say the support rushing beyond morison when he held it up or an option was too deep. But the reason for that was that we were playing manchester united.

I personally would still rather us play 2 upfront, morison and another (probably Holt) with the two wide men.

Our squad is a good squad but they are not going to running ragged a premiership top four team. We actually had man u worried with the few very very good chances we created and that is commemorable.

I felt Morison was isolated and the last 15 minutes of the first half and for moments in the second half we were very deep leaving him alone. But that is what we expected against man u.

If we play the same system wes has to be further up the field against teams like swansea and blackburn. Otherwise we will fall into the trap of sitting deep and leaving morison to feed off scraps. I don''t think he was given a hatful of chances as rarely did pilky or EB go beyond their man. EB''s cross when at the byline in the 6 yard box was awful with johnosn on the penalty spot and morison unmarked at the backpost. He knows, as all our strikers do, you get less chances in the prem. and you have to take them.

Being clinical and full concentration our key to this league. For me Morison is doing very well in the role, however I would rather he had a strike partner. But that is personal preference.

Some of you like your stats some dont but here goes. They have both started the same amount of games in prem 4 and 2 sub appearances both scoring one goal. That is the only similarity

Assists M = 1 H = 0

Fouls made M = 4 H = 19 - Bradley Johnson our hard midfielder has made 6 starting appearences and is second to Holt with 8. What makes this even more astonishing is that despite just a few appearences Holt has committed the most fouls this season in the premier nearest being Adam of Liverpool with 15.

Shots M = 6 on 5 off H = 2 on 3 off

Points gained when Morrison starts 7 / 12 Points gained when Holt starts 2 / 12

Goals scored by NCFC when player on pitch M = 6 / 7 H = 3 / 7 Morisson was injured for the goal against Stoke

I fear that if Grant Holt doesn''t get enough match practice he may go off the boil badly. Clearly he doesn''t appear to be in Lambert''s plans at the moment, which is a pity as I''d like to see what he can do in the Premiership.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

Some of you like your stats some dont but here goes. They have both started the same amount of games in prem 4 and 2 sub appearances both scoring one goal. That is the only similarity

Assists M = 1 H = 0

Fouls made M = 4 H = 19 - Bradley Johnson our hard midfielder has made 6 starting appearences and is second to Holt with 8. What makes this even more astonishing is that despite just a few appearences Holt has committed the most fouls this season in the premier nearest being Adam of Liverpool with 15.

Goals scored by NCFC when player on pitch M = 6 / 7 H = 3 / 7 Morisson was injured for the goal against Stoke

[/quote]

Interesting stats. For me, Morison is more mobile and stays on his feel more than Holt, so that out build up is potentially quicker. Holt has done brilliantly over the last couple of years but no one is irreplaceable. My concern about Morison is his finishing , but I find it amazing that there are people who feel that his workrate isn''t high enough.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Lambert is King"]

Assists M = 1 H = 0

[/quote]

Interesting stats. For me, Morison is more mobile and stays on his feel more than Holt, so that out build up is potentially quicker. Holt has done brilliantly over the last couple of years but no one is irreplaceable. My concern about Morison is his finishing , but I find it amazing that there are people who feel that his workrate isn''t high enough.

[/quote]

Beau, you have to take into consideration that many people on here are merely spectators and don''t have a great deal of knowledge about the game.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Lambert is King"]

Assists M = 1 H = 0

[/quote]

[/quote]

Beau, you have to take into consideration that many people on here are merely spectators and don''t have a great deal of knowledge about the game.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]When we play 2 up front Holt must be the first name on the team sheet. I think we should play 2 upfront at home.

Man of the Match against Chelsea , yes when we play one up im fine with Morison up front and maybe with Holt if we play 2 up.

I cannot believe how short some peoples memories are. not in terms of nostalgia but in terms of Holtys all round game. I only hope Paul Lambert isnt as short sighted as you lot. Holty may well be the difference between staying up or relegation.[/quote]

Whilst i hope Holty gets a chance again soon and plays his way back into the team i also "cannot believe" how many of our fans, with us having finally found a formation that seems to suit us and enables us to play Wes and the wide men, want us to revert to 4-4-2 for no better reason than an arbitary "we are at home."

Personally i will be very annoyed if we don''t start the next game with the same formation, If we need to go more direct to chase the game second half then by all means change it but we have a formation which is working well so why change it? As to whether the target man is Morrison or Holt then i don''t really feel strongly either way and think both will play the role for us this season. If he is to play the role though Holty needs to stop the embarrassing falling over all the time like he did last 15 against Sunderland and also needs to stop drifting out wide quite so much. In this formation the striker needs to be in the middle more then not and that may be why Morrison is currently getting the nod.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Lambert is King"]

Assists M = 1 H = 0

[/quote]

[/quote]

Beau, you have to take into consideration that many people on here are merely spectators and don''t have a great deal of knowledge about the game.[/quote]

To be fair I think Morison has a deceptive style. I couldn''t go to the Sunderland game so watched on the tv and on television I thought he looked lazy and disinterested in the first half. When i then spoke to mates at the game they were all full of praise for how hard he had worked all through the game. He certainly appeared to work very hard at Old Trafford and I suspect the stats will back up the fact that he does indeed work very hard but he has a style that can give and alternative impression and maybe thats why some query his work rate.

Was the same the England v Wales game. I thought he put in a great effort but some fans said he looked half hearted!