Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Name That Norwich City Team v Man Utd (a) 1973

Yes - thanks for bringing back happy memories ! I was in the South Stand for both games, and remember not being able to see even as far as the half way line in the first game, but then the roar of the crowd, and disappointment when it was abandoned. In the second game, Steve Govier scored - wasn''t that his only ever goal for city ?

Govier score two goals for us, so it seems

Great report of the game here -

http://www.pinkun.com/home/magic_moment_january_3_1973_steve_govier_s_goal_clinches_city_s_place_at_wembley_for_the_first_time_1_712875

First game - remember chants of we want Foggo !. missing lift home as I got caught up in ''disturbances'' along Riverside road and up Prince of Wales Rd, had to hitch home and walked the last 6 miles

Second game had Prince Andrew turning up with the Bishop of Norwich, if I remember correctly. Three up just after half time and we knew we were going to Wembley.

Yes, great days. No ''pre ordering'' tickets, just a few jars before and then queued up and took your luck where you could fit in on a busy night. South Stand used to be full of what I thought then were old men all wearing long macs and the Barclay, full of over exited young herberts.

Other than the ''59 cup run and the win at Old Trafford there hadn''t been too much to cheer previously, so to find us having a taste of the first division and then a trip to Wembley they were indeed heady days.

I think the rather ''wild west'' atmosphere in parts of the ground added to the thrill and fun, as did much of the ''antics before and after the game. More so for night games. Would not have wanted to have missed those games for the world.