Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Name That Norwich City Team v Man Utd (a) 1973

Went to that game Pete. And I won''t spoil it for anyone by naming any of our players. But it was memorable for me becuase it was the only occasion I saw George Best play. He didn''t disappoint either.

It''s ridiculously hard LDC. I had to look up one of the fullbacks even though I was at the game!!! If you click Pete''s link you can try put the players in yourself. Pete''s just a boy though and he has forwards and midfield players all mixed up. Did he get help?? I wonder....................

[;)]

I was at that game - 8 & a half years old. My son is amazed that I ran off seven of the players straight away (and I am working on the rest!). Just shows how much the team of that era have stuck in my mind. Great times - promotion ''72, Wembley 73 & 75. Seems like yesterday

Scottish. Came through the ranks played often for the ressies and was sub loads. It''s only 8 letters plus a ''

I finally got him butI had to cheat to get one of the fullbacks!!!

What I found out about the left back: played for Wolves, then Bristol City, then us. Only played 6 games for City, none as sub, all in the 73/74 season, then left on a free transfer. Perhaps that''s why I have absolutely no memory of him !

Aha

''Do you think that''s wise sir ?''

ps when you said you had absolutely no memory of him I thought that might be a bit of an exageration, however

I have no recollection of him or his name in any shape or form either

I too have little recollection of him. There''s something at the very back of my mind and that''s all. Yet he was a good player at his previous two clubs and would have played a lot of reserve team football while he was with us.

Oh well, thank goodness he won''t be reading this!

As an aside I do remember his namesake who made just one appearance for us as a sub against Newcastle in 1975. But only because he went to my school!!

"But only because he went to my school!!"

the heady heights of the socially connected

[quote user="City1st"]"But only because he went to my school!!" the heady heights of the socially connected[/quote]

Not really socially connected. Socially apart more like as he''d be first pick and I''d be last [:''(]

Perhaps when the answer is printed we can also have some information about this left back who I, like many others, know very little about.

I also had to cheat, and that wasn''t easy in this case, but I know nothing and can remember nothing of this player.

I, too, am totally stumped by the left back, and haven''t yet managed to Google it.

I notice that this Old Trafford match came just one week after the 3-1 home defeat to Everton, which prompted Saunders to resign.

It would be interesting to know whether Bond had yet been appointed for this game, or whether someone else was in charge.

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]Spoiler Alert !-   http://www.wolvesheroes.com/2008/09/14/an-overwhelmingly-positive-impact/  implies that he did ![/quote]

Wikipedia has Tony Waiters down as "Head Coach" but the above link has Mr W down as manager, who knows ?.

Anyone remember Tony Waiters being hotly tipped to take over as Norwich boss when Ron Saunders left , but he lost out to John Bond.

Thanks a lot for the help, Armchair Follower! I would never have got it.

I do vaguely remember my Dad mentioning a player with this surname as being a good player but got injured, and guess this may well have been him. But might as well have been Harold W., Brian W. or Jocky W. for all I know.

Pleasure!

The only reason I remembered his name was from the clues! But I do remember him signing for us because we didn''t sign many players in those days and I have a feeling that he had left Bristol City under a cloud?.

I don''t think that John Bond was in charge when we played Man Utd. I seem to remember it was under the caretakership of George Lee and possibly Terry Allcock.

I think you''re right Armchair. That was the game after that infamous Everton game when Saunders put Payne up front and the cushions came raining down from the Main Stand. It was that day that Saunders went. I think John Bond came the week following the Man.U. game.

Not only was I there, but I some how ended up in the Stretford End!

I recall remonstrating at Lou Macari for a dirty foul on Kevin Keelan - when all of a sudden the crowds parted and I found myself in an awfuly large free space, waving my green & yellow scarf (which I still have). It was at this moment that the realisation of where I was slowly dawned on me & I could feel the beads of perspiration trickle down my spine.....

My method of extricating myself from this predicament was to feign a coughing spasm, crouch down as if to draw breath, whilst simultaneously stuffing my scarf into my coat pocket, and to plunge into the sea of red and hope for the best. Keeping a low profile thereafter was only achieved through an overwhelming sense of survival, instead of my usual manic support.

It was one of my proudest moments - being a Norwich City Supporter, at Old Trafford, in the Stretford End, and still being alive to talk about it!

Furthermore, Man U were lucky to get the draw or, conversely, we were unlucky not to win - and watching Tommy Docherty''s reactions - I think he felt the same!

Finally, it was a great pleasure to watch George Best play - and not score against us!

I remember a similar occasion at Carrow Rd, walking into the Barclay End (73 semi-final rematch after the fog - anyone remember that Keelan save?) with a friend who for no reason started shouting "Chelsea! Chelsea!" with similar results. Needless to say I disowned him pretty quick!

No apologies for turning this into all our yesterdays!

The ''fog game'' was pretty hairy with quite a few Chelsea in the Barclay. Loads of pushing and gaps opening up before the game.

I too was with an odd mate. Normally quiet, but on this occasion some bloke in a greatcoat had apparently smacked somebody, as greatcoat was then sent sprawling, knocking into others. As he got up, said mate mate booted him rather forceable in the side of the head - not really sure what happened next as another ''surge'' saw us tumble down ourselves.

We couldn''t see beyond the halfway line but Keelan could as it was odd to hear half the crowd let out a mighty roar and see Keelan on the edge of the penalty box leap up in celebrtation as we scored at the River End.

Mad old night in many ways.