Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Franco Baldini keeping tabs on Ruddy

Has to be better than Stockdale and Fielding, two players in the Championship. The position of Goalkeeper seems to be the new left wing for England. The only English goalkeeper available for selection who is genuinely better than Ruddy is Joe Hart, Ruddy should be the #2, simple as.

[quote user="Dan Druff"]

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"]Cody was better than either of them......... [A][/quote]

What, in goal??!!

[/quote]Yep. 100% record. 1 game, 1 clean sheet.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Looks like he''s finally popped up on England''s radar...
[/quote]

Good he''s awsome and our best keeper since Gunn. Fully deserves a crack.

[/quote]

Many of us would prefer that he turns out to be our best goalkeeper since Kevin Keelan!!

But still. One love.

[:)]

OTBC

I''m fed up of the likes of Bly tarnishing gunn''s playing record because of his managerial record....

I guess I should come to expect it from such an obvious troll though

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Dan Druff"]

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"]Cody was better than either of them......... [A]
[/quote]

What, in goal??!!

[/quote]

Yep. 100% record. 1 game, 1 clean sheet.
[/quote]

went in goal last season in Carling cup when Ruddy went off against Sunderland, and Monday was a bit of revenge for us

never mind Ruddy.. baldini might also want to keep his eye on a player who has played every game for us this season and looked assured, professional and better than some established premiership players...Marc Tierney is English isn''t he?

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]I''m fed up of the likes of Bly tarnishing gunn''s playing record because of his managerial record.... I guess I should come to expect it from such an obvious troll though[/quote]

?? Come again?

Kevin Keelan was a much better goalkeeper than Gunn. Fact. Period. Over and out.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]I''m fed up of the likes of Bly tarnishing gunn''s playing record because of his managerial record.... I guess I should come to expect it from such an obvious troll though[/quote]

?? Come again?

Kevin Keelan was a much better goalkeeper than Gunn. Fact. Period. Over and out.

OTBC

[/quote]Not just goalkeeper but best player ever in Norwich colours very closely followed by martin peters.

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Herb"][quote user="Dan Druff"]

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"]Cody was better than either of them......... [A]
[/quote]

What, in goal??!!

[/quote]

Yep. 100% record. 1 game, 1 clean sheet.
[/quote]

went in goal last season in Carling cup when Ruddy went off against Sunderland, and Monday was a bit of revenge for us

[/quote]

I believe it was a Carling Cup game against Sunderland when we were in league 1, what you are reffering to? And at that time we didn''t have Ruddy, i believe we had a Tottenham goalkeeper on loan who after that injury never played for us again. I''m sure someone can remember the Tottenham goalkeepers name? 

Ah Ben Alnwick, currently plying his trade (accoridng to wikipedia) at Leyton Orient.

Interestingly, we signed him up after this little scandal

"On 7 December 2006, tabloid newspaper The Sun reported Alnwick, along with team-mates Chris Brown and Liam Lawrence had filmed themselves in an orgy with a brunette girl referred to as ''Stevie''. In the video, Brown films his team-mates perform sexual acts on the girl as well as themselves, and is said to give "Match of the Day" style commentary throughout"

Good lad, though a little fruity.

Bly, I don''t doubt Kevin Keelan was a great keeper but the point is whoever made the point said ''SINCE gunn''

So...ok you don''t rate gunn that''s fine. What about chris woods?

You can only really personally rate players that you have seen for yourself playing for Norwich.

Keelan passes me by I''m afraid as far as seeing the great man in action is concerned, so I''m going with Chris Woods as the best keeper I''ve seen for Norwich.

Solid but spectacular when needed. Class act all round.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Bly, I don''t doubt Kevin Keelan was a great keeper but the point is whoever made the point said ''SINCE gunn'' So...ok you don''t rate gunn that''s fine. What about chris woods?[/quote]

I rate him higher than Gunn.

Chris Woods'' 43 full England caps over 8 years  helps to tell the story I think. In contrast Bryan Gunn only managed 6 full caps for Scotland over 4 years.

OTBC

OTBC

With Robinson & Foster both deciding to "retire" and Greeno injured the options are limited for England keepers. Only Hart, Robinson & Ruddy are English first choice keepers in the Prem. Carson is absolute gash and how he gets in the squad is an absolute mystery. Stockdale is an OK keeper & is obviously going to get lots of practice behind the Ipswich back four!!Ruddy is an improving young keeper but it is a shocking indictment of English keeping if he is on the verge of the full England team at this moment in time. Hart is by some margin the best English keeper - assuming we qualify for the Euro''s we are likely to take Hart, Green & Carson....god help us if Hart gets injured!

Whats your problem? Keelan was a better keeper, great guy as well, used to have a kick about with us on a bit of waste ground in thorpe along with Duncan Forbes when they walked home from training...footballers used to walk and use the bus for those that are to young to remeber the days before audi q7s etc

Just my two penn''orth.

Keelan used to pull off absolutely blinding saves on a pretty regular basis, especially in key games. He was certainly always up for the big games (Crystal Palace relegation decider, Villa League Cup final when he was the first to save a penalty in a final).

The thing about him that I remember was that a bit of a showman and pretty unorthodox. He had an uncanny knack of saving goals with all parts of his anatomy, especially his legs.

Woods was at the opposite end of the orthodoxy spectrum - really orthodox, but rarely made the kind of mistakes to which Keelan was occasionally prone.

Gunn was, I feel, somewhere between the two in orthodoxy, but, though a fine keeper, not as good as either.

For me, Keelan, Woods, Gunn in that order in terms of who I would want in goal.

All used to make howlers, though, which is the goaly''s lot.

For example, Gunn''s bobble versus Ipswich (though maybe just a duff Ipsh*t pitch).

I remember Woods being beaten by an Oldham player (Norwich promotion season, I think) , who, while on the run, hit a shot from fully 30 yards and beat Woods all ends up. Maybe I should just give credit to the Oldham player?

I recall Keelan once being beaten by a Larry Lloyd shot from near the half-way line (FA Cup tie against Coventry at Highfield Road) because he had wandered miles off his line. KK had an awful habit of going walkabout.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

Just my two penn''orth.

Keelan used to pull off absolutely blinding saves on a pretty regular basis, especially in key games. He was certainly always up for the big games (Crystal Palace relegation decider, Villa League Cup final when he was the first to save a penalty in a final).

The thing about him that I remember was that a bit of a showman and pretty unorthodox. He had an uncanny knack of saving goals with all parts of his anatomy, especially his legs.

Woods was at the opposite end of the orthodoxy spectrum - really orthodox, but rarely made the kind of mistakes to which Keelan was occasionally prone.

Gunn was, I feel, somewhere between the two in orthodoxy, but, though a fine keeper, not as good as either.

For me, Keelan, Woods, Gunn in that order in terms of who I would want in goal.

[/quote]

Pretty much agree with those assessments. I posted something similar a week or so ago:

Woods the best all-round keeper. Good ball-handling, decision-making, positional sense. Later mistake-prone for England because he was playing behind a useless defence. But for Norwich he was very reliable.

Keelan THE shot-stopper. Positionally not the best, and capable of game-losing basic mistakes. Gunn is third. An all-rounder like Woods, although perhaps more agile. Also a keeper for the modern era. Perfect for the role of keeper as sweeper, particularly with the no back pass rule.

Green below Gunn because of some basic errors. But positionally sound. Marshall (Andy) equal fifth. On his day second only to Keelan as a shot-stopper. With him Fraser Forster, also positionally flawed sometimes. Not as dominant as someone his size should be. Too wedded to the goal-line.

Ruddy perhaps now slightly ahead of Kennon. A decent shot-stopper, although not in Keelan''s or Marshall''s class, or Forster''s. But his judgment is only average and his positional sense sub-standard. If he works (is already working?) on those he''ll move up the list.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]Sorry, Purple, had missed your earlier posting on this.[/quote]

LiG, no need to apologise. I was just mentioning my earlier post to show how much I agreed with your judgment on this. I would, of course, have Keelan in my dream team, ahead of Woods, but that is partly for sentimental reasons. I do think it hard to place one above the other.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Lambert is god"]Sorry, Purple, had missed your earlier posting on this.[/quote]

LiG, no need to apologise. I was just mentioning my earlier post to show how much I agreed with your judgment on this. I would, of course, have Keelan in my dream team, ahead of Woods, but that is partly for sentimental reasons. I do think it hard to place one above the other.

[/quote]

You could always figure in Keelan''s decent right hook as a tie-breaker.

OTBC

In terms of the comment regarding our best keeper since Gunn, surely Robert Green must be in with a shout...

In terms of our best keeper that I personally have seen playing I think it is a tough one to call as we have had a number of good keepers over the years, my personal favourites are Keelan, Woods, Gunn, Green and Ruddy...

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

You could always figure in Keelan''s decent right hook as a tie-breaker.

OTBC

[/quote]

Touché, Bly, but it was actually a left-hook that floored Tommy Robson, and I think Keelan was a southpaw generally. A long time ago but my distinct memory is that he threw the ball out left-handed, and kicked left-footed as well. But in any event THAT punch (which is one the centenary DVD) was definitely out of left-field.