Sign in to follow this  
Mr McGoo

The diamond

I personally think we should go back to the diamond formation against swansea and blackburn. Be good to have hollt back on the pitch it would also give us a chance to see holt and possibly morrison up front together. Agree or disagree

I suspect that the diamond will be not be used very frequently this season - leaves us to open to attacks down the flanks.

Might use 4-4-2 at home sometimes possibly - but I hope not against Swansea who were very unlucky last year.

Disagree, big time. I think are full backs are too exposed to most prem teams with the diamond, why i think Lambo has changed it. This was blatant against Swansea last year, they ripped us a part with their wingers and pace, so i would most def stick with the 4 5 1 against Swansea and prob the same against Blackburn if it works again.It''s a shame Holt isn''t in the team, but Morrison is much more suited for the lone striker role i would say.

The diamond has its place, but not against Swansea. Didn''t work very well against them in the Championship. Their wingers would force our fullbacks to stay back and then we''d have no width at all. We''ll need to press them hard and break quickly when we get the ball. 4-4-1-1 has worked well for that.

Swansea play with width and really did a job on us at the Liberty. This is definitely not the game to bring back the diamond in. If we play that 4-2-3-1 system I am confident we will win.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Disagree, big time. I think are full backs are too exposed to most prem teams with the diamond, why i think Lambo has changed it. This was blatant against Swansea last year, they ripped us a part with their wingers and pace, so i would most def stick with the 4 5 1 against Swansea and prob the same against Blackburn if it works again.It''s a shame Holt isn''t in the team, but Morrison is much more suited for the lone striker role i would say.[/quote]Certainly judging by his performance in a similar role for Wales tonight!We have won 2 and played very well against Man Utd with the 4-4-1-1 system so why change now? As others have stated, Swansea use their 2 out and out wingers very well and caused endless problems across both games last year.

[quote user="Mr McGoo"]I personally think we should go back to the diamond formation against swansea and blackburn. Be good to have hollt back on the pitch it would also give us a chance to see holt and possibly morrison up front together. Agree or disagree[/quote]

Take a look at Holts stats on the Holt thread. Holt is a legend I agree and up until last year was first on the team sheet with our side built around him. This is no longer the case as we have moved from cannot win without Holt to cannot win with him. 

So many different variations of 442 and to be fair the diamond is one of them. The system we play with Morison as a lone striker is another which, like the diamond, allows us to fit Wes in. A cross between the diamond and a traditional 442 would be Bennett - Crofts - Johnson - Pilkington. I''ve seen German teams play that way with the two wide players cutting inside offensively. But I can''t see that working with Wes in the midfield.

At this level, the diamond either leaves us with too little width, or horribly exposes the player at its base.

A flat 4-4-2 is antediluvian and leaves no room for Wes.

4-2-3-1 is so clearly the way to go for the players we have. It''s rough on Holt, but the team is the important thing. Two wins and a great performance at OT - what''s not to like.

The only problem is the fact that people think one up front is unduly negative - despite the fact that the only games in which we''ve scored twice have come when we played with one up front...

As you were for Swansea.

This leads to the dilemma that we have always had with wes.

He is not an out and out striker, not a genuine pacey winger and not a central midfielder.

He has improved his game greatly and certainly fits the behind the striker(s) role. But you often see him revert to a wide midfield when a few subs come on. In fact against west brom he was in that position when we chased the game and he was a good outlet out wide.

In fact at some stage I would like to see him wide left of a 4 man midfield as it allows two strikers to be on the field.

I have said it before I still think in this league two strikers are better than one, I do think Wes has not supported Morison enough. But as we are a team full of new premiership players, some coming up two divisions I expect him to think of defence first. We have held the ball well with this formation, I expect it to remain as long as there are no injuries from internationals or a weeks training.

But the best thing a team can do is evolve their style during a season. I think that will still happen, but at the moment I can''t see Lambert changing it unless Morison comes back knackered after his second international game.