Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Boxing Day v Spurs now moved to Tuesday 27 Dec

SKY really are ruining football. Football on boxing day is traditional, and now its on the Tuesday, so I''ll probably have to miss it due to work. Thanks a lot Murdoch/SKY!

In my humble opinion it is the replies to this thread which sum up everything that is wrong with modern day football rather than the decision to move one game by a day.

* sits back and waits for abuse *

I''m usually with you Shaks, but not here.

Take for instance the fact that as the Liverpool game is now a 5.30 kick off and the trains out of L''pool stop at 7.30 it either means (a) I miss the game as can''t get home (2 tickets prob going spare BTW) ;0), or (b) drive up (meaning no beers).

The same applies to Spurs fans (and us Capital canaries) as the last train is at 10pm so we''ve have to leave the game 5 mins early to catch said train...thats not on IMO.

Moving football games to appease armchair fans can fook it up for proper supporters...thats my gripe, So IF they do decide to change them, why cant they look at who it will affect and not just the bank balance? Joined up thinking needed.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]

The same applies to Spurs fans (and us Capital canaries) as the last train is at 10pm so we''ve have to leave the game 5 mins early to catch said train...thats not on IMO.[/quote]

Surely that''s better than Boxing day when there are no trains at all?

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I''m usually with you Shaks, but not here. Take for instance the fact that as the Liverpool game is now a 5.30 kick off and the trains out of L''pool stop at 7.30 it either means (a) I miss the game as can''t get home (2 tickets prob going spare BTW) ;0), or (b) drive up (meaning no beers). The same applies to Spurs fans (and us Capital canaries) as the last train is at 10pm so we''ve have to leave the game 5 mins early to catch said train...thats not on IMO. Moving football games to appease armchair fans can fook it up for proper supporters...thats my gripe, So IF they do decide to change them, why cant they look at who it will affect and not just the bank balance? Joined up thinking needed.[/quote]

Your post mentions that fact that you might have to watch the Liverpool game with no beer and/or miss five minutes of the Spurs game. Somebody else has moaned that the game will now clash with their wife''s birthday. All fairly minor inconveniences in my opinion and ones that I would not expect any other multi billion pound industry to care about in the slightest. It''s that sense of entitlement that the average fan has these days which winds me up as much as anything in the modern game to be honest.

Like it or not football is a global game and the Premier League is massively popular worldwide. ''Moving games to appease armchair fans'' may well be annoying for those who attend on a regular basis but we all signed up for this a long time ago. There is no going back now and as much as it is fashionable to moan about Sky and Rupert Murdoch ruining football there are not too many football fans who have tried to do anything about it. Everytime you buy your season ticket, your Sky subscription or your overpriced replica shirt you are feeding the greed that exists at the heart of our game. If I was a massive troll I would suggest that if you hate modern football that much the only responsible thing to do is stay at home and watch an illegal stream over the internet. But I''m not so I won''t [;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I''m usually with you Shaks, but not here. Take for instance the fact that as the Liverpool game is now a 5.30 kick off and the trains out of L''pool stop at 7.30 it either means (a) I miss the game as can''t get home (2 tickets prob going spare BTW) ;0), or (b) drive up (meaning no beers). The same applies to Spurs fans (and us Capital canaries) as the last train is at 10pm so we''ve have to leave the game 5 mins early to catch said train...thats not on IMO. Moving football games to appease armchair fans can fook it up for proper supporters...thats my gripe, So IF they do decide to change them, why cant they look at who it will affect and not just the bank balance? Joined up thinking needed.[/quote]

Your post mentions that fact that you might have to watch the Liverpool game with no beer and/or miss five minutes of the Spurs game. Somebody else has moaned that the game will now clash with their wife''s birthday. All fairly minor inconveniences in my opinion and ones that I would not expect any other multi billion pound industry to care about in the slightest. It''s that sense of entitlement that the average fan has these days which winds me up as much as anything in the modern game to be honest.

Like it or not football is a global game and the Premier League is massively popular worldwide. ''Moving games to appease armchair fans'' may well be annoying for those who attend on a regular basis but we all signed up for this a long time ago. There is no going back now and as much as it is fashionable to moan about Sky and Rupert Murdoch ruining football there are not too many football fans who have tried to do anything about it. Everytime you buy your season ticket, your Sky subscription or your overpriced replica shirt you are feeding the greed that exists at the heart of our game. If I was a massive troll I would suggest that if you hate modern football that much the only responsible thing to do is stay at home and watch an illegal stream over the internet. But I''m not so I won''t [;)]

[/quote]

This may just be a piece of loose wording, but I would take issue with that. Those who subscribe to Sky signed up to it. Literally as well as metaphorically. Those of us who never have didn''t. And the idea that by continuing to buy a season ticket (guilty of that charge) one is endorsing this financial system is surprising nonsense. One has no choice. The alternative to stop supporting one''s team.

I am kind of glad it has been moved seeing as it is a family time. However it is frustrating for those who it greatly inconvieniences. I think the plan is to take the fixture list with a pinch of salt then you wont be left disapointed!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

In my humble opinion it is the replies to this thread which sum up everything that is wrong with modern day football rather than the decision to move one game by a day.

[/quote]

Its rubbish!!

I was lloking forward to football boxing day (as it should be) and then going to the Ally Pally for the world darts on the tue, thats a great afternoon out and we wont be back in time for the footy.

bloody sky

I''ve never "signed up to it" Shaks...& the beers quote was a bit tongue in cheek.

So leaving a game early isnt that bad?? thats sacrilege in my book. Never, never never.

Whilst trying to second guess me, I''ll spill the beans...I''ve never subscribed to SKY,(never bought the Sun either for that matter)...although I have sipped the ales of a publican who has Sky on the tele box...and I admit yes, I did enjoy the top flight more when it was the first division before the Prem...it just felt like football to me. I also prefer vinyl to Mp3s, and a good Paul Smith, Mcqueen, or Lacoste than a t-shirt from Next/gap/H&M...but then thats me. Not too "general public" some might say.

Plus if all this money in "new football" is such a good thing then why is it so many clubs are in debt? Including the big ones? ...but maybe I''ve strayed into another topic entirely. Sorry ''bout that.

Lot of gnashing of teeth/ I''m-all-right-Jack smirking going on on here today.To save any more '' now I can/can''t go '' debate in future seasons I suggest we instruct the NCFC management to forget about all the untold ££££''s the TV companies are prepared to dump in our lap and return to League One as soon as possible.......[;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Your post mentions that fact that you might have to watch the Liverpool game with no beer and/or miss five minutes of the Spurs game. Somebody else has moaned that the game will now clash with their wife''s birthday. All fairly minor inconveniences in my opinion and ones that I would not expect any other multi billion pound industry to care about in the slightest. It''s that sense of entitlement that the average fan has these days which winds me up as much as anything in the modern game to be honest.[/quote]Why shouldn''t I be able to moan about it clashing with the other half''s Birthday?I will be going to the match but it will cost me and I don''t class that as a "minor inconvenience".

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

This may just be a piece of loose wording, but I would take issue with that. Those who subscribe to Sky signed up to it. Literally as well as metaphorically. Those of us who never have didn''t. And the idea that by continuing to buy a season ticket (guilty of that charge) one is endorsing this financial system is surprising nonsense. One has no choice. The alternative to stop supporting one''s team.

[/quote]The ''we all signed up to it'' comment was meant in relation to modern football in general rather than just football on Sky. The matchday experience has changed enormously over the last fifteen to twenty years and we''ve just sort of shrugged our shoulders and let it happen. There are so many people on here who seemingly hate every aspect of modern football yet turn up every week and then have a good moan afterwards. There is always a choice. If you''re really not enjoying it anymore then stop going. The season ticket waiting list was pretty long last time I checked.

But no one wants to ''stop going'', and that''s exactly what Sky and the clubs know. So they can do what they want.

Totally agree with Shack about Sky, though. If you have a subscription (or read the Sun or the Times for that matter), you have absolutely no right to complain. You''re part of the problem.

If for any reason anyone can''t make this game or any other home ones after mid november then I''ll take 2 tickets or just 1 if that''s all you have 07415163056

[quote user="city4eva"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

Its rubbish!!

I was lloking forward to football boxing day (as it should be) and then going to the Ally Pally for the world darts on the tue, thats a great afternoon out and we wont be back in time for the footy.

bloody sky

[/quote]

Make your mind up! You''re moaning about Sky and their football scheduling and then you say you love darts. Darts was on it''s arse until Sky revived it a few years ago.

Shaks,

I never once said I didn''t like going to modern football matches, and I definitely have never hated the experience (bar Charlton away in THAT game). I just said I preferred it how if was...but then I preferred my Mrs 15 years ago too.

Cheers Sky! Had arranged to go with my brother who i haven''t seen for a year but will be working now!! Absolutely gutted! Thanks Sky thanks alot!

what a travesty! can nothing be done to prevent fixture moves on certain days like they do in the NFL.sky have killed tradition now too.