Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

According to one sunday newspaper

Andy Johnson has been told that if he doesn''t agrre the new 2 year deal, he will be able to leave for £2M a quick premiership striker. With James Vaughan out for a period of time would this be a deal worth exploring?

I''m fully aware of his history with us whilst at Palace.

You have to consider wages as well as the signing fee.  I''m sure we could splash £2m up front but wouldn''t want to pay his wages which are likely to be high.  Plus there''s the young hungry Lambert thing to consider... so all in all no, I wouldn''t want him here.And that''s before I mention he''s a cheating diving a-hole.

No thanks.

He''s 30, turns 31 in Feb.

His goal scoring record for Fulham in the Prem.:

11-12   3+2 apps        3 goals in one game v QPR (where QPR had 3 of their regular defenders out)

10-11   27 apps          3 goals

09-10   8 apps            0 goals

08-09   31 apps          7 goals

May be better to take a gamble on Maynard at Bristol City who I believe is out of contract next summer. Although he''s not scored many in the Championship this season.

If we''re going to sign another striker my vote is for Marvin Sordell. Watford are completely broke so we should be able to get him fairly cheap, he''s only 20 and scored a good amount of goals last season and had particularly good shots on target %

[quote user="Mahogany"]If we''re going to sign another striker my vote is for Marvin Sordell. Watford are completely broke so we should be able to get him fairly cheap, he''s only 20 and scored a good amount of goals last season and had particularly good shots on target %[/quote]

Based on last season I would have agreed with you but he''s not exactly hit the net so far this season. The test is whether a striker can score goals in the second season at a given level of football. However I do appreciate that it also depends on the number of chances etc being created for a striker.

Think in the summer the prospect of a johnson being available was muted.

Personally I think in the box he can punish teams, yes injuries have hampered and the forward line up with zamora didn''t quite have the results or longevity I thought it would.

For me I would have a look, I''d imagine he is hungry for success after being out for so long. He does have the quality in this division, many of those mentioned we do not know if they do.

But I certainly think it would be worth a look and evaluate from a health point of view and as mentioned in regard to wages. Could be an old head that maybe we need during that final bit of the season.

Again look forward to the games, but I always look forward to the speculation during the windows.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="Mahogany"]If we''re going to sign another striker my vote is for Marvin Sordell. Watford are completely broke so we should be able to get him fairly cheap, he''s only 20 and scored a good amount of goals last season and had particularly good shots on target %[/quote]

Based on last season I would have agreed with you but he''s not exactly hit the net so far this season. The test is whether a striker can score goals in the second season at a given level of football. However I do appreciate that it also depends on the number of chances etc being created for a striker.

[/quote]

It''s no coincidence that he scores a hat-trick and has three assists in the first full game this season where he has partnered Bobby Zamora.  This is a classic example of the difference a big man makes alongside a little-un IMO and how ineffective he can be without. If we bought Johnson and played him alongside Holt or Morison I think he would do a great job as long as he remained fit.  

It''s no coincidence that his contract is being negotiated and suddenly he seems to have found some form, for that reason I''m out :-)

He looked sharp in the UEFA cup as well as the QPR game, he has good premier league experience and I could see Lambert looking for another striker in January, but I doubt it will be Johnson, good question though.

There''s quite a few Champ strikers looking pretty good.. Marvin Emnes, Ricky Lambert, Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes, Charlie Austin, Shaul Scannell, Jay Rodriguez, Marvin Sordell, Jeffery Schlupp, Cody McDonald [;)]

Again I feel that the last player to have an impact when joining from a lower league team apart from ashton was Jonathan Stead. Chris Brunt took a few years to become a good player for wba. There is no guarantee these guys would have the impact that you may need and from this record I would say that none of the players mentioned would come in with the impact we would need.

Marvin Emnes has had chances before, others who knows but as we know their clubs will put the price up greatly 3 million+ I am sure. So for me I wouldn''t even consider a championship striker.

The same arguement can be given for players playing in europe, they may take time. But they will be a lot cheaper, many speak very good english, ayala and pacheco I am sure would give a good report of ourselves to any frustrated young spanish forwards at lack of opportunities.

It will be fascinating and I can''t wait for the window to open again for speculation and bids to be considered. Personally I would think with the reserve league giving us an opportunity to play against better players, we would be able to scout those in premiership teams who may be worth a shout.