Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

its a dvd or video question

Ok we are looking to buy a product

We can either:

A)  go for something of high quality with a healthy lifespan. Something that might increase in value and will certianly add style to our present collection. In short a DVD. (Ashton?)

Downside it naturally costs a little extra.

Or we can try and get the same product in an old tested format. Far less quality, low shelf life and clumsy packaging. In the (almost) certain knowledge it will depreciate. Though it will add an extra number to the collection. In short a video. (Scowcroft-and he could even be BETAMAX!!)

Personally I prefer to save up for DVD''s these days- even though videos are available cheaper. It makes more sense in the long run. Is this also true for a club in our position ?

Ultimately- where do we want to be in three years time? A team that aims for tenth- may finish fifteenth. I fear that any club aiming for 17th could slip to 18th very easily. In sport you HAVE to aim for the top- no matter where you are. If Jonny Wilkinson held himself back in tackles each game (to save himself for the future) he would not be where he is now.

It would be silly to keep buying video style players- soon they will be obsolete. Far better to buy fresh DVD''s and then maybe sell them on in the future!!

What do you reckon?

Fully agree with you ther Vic.  I suggest we go for the more upmarket model myself and leave the out of date products for the town.

Well said, vicar. A large video collection is all well and good but it''ll be obselete soon enough! Aiming for 17th or better should be a priority for this season but there''s no reason why we can''t be mid-table stalwarts (throwing in the occasional surprises) in years to come.

What I forgot to say - which was my main point -dderrrr! is this

If we genuinly cannot afford a quality player(DVD)

we should accept it and wait until we can. Using a loan as an alternative?

What is pointless is wasting good money on bringing in an also ran.

hi vicar

i am entirely in favour of all things new and shiny, so the first option please

we have to look forward and stop being so cautious

btw does anyone still have a video recorder? 

How about a comparison with trying to pull at the school disco?

NCFC is the small, cute kid who all the pretty girls like but dont really fancy. Now NFC could wait till the end of the disco incase any of the pretty girls havent been pulled by a ''cool'' kid and are more receptive to his charms, or he could go for some anoying heffer who will be his guareented and does not seem that bad in the dark, loud disco......

Any other analogys???

[quote]Ok we are looking to buy a product We can either: A) go for something of high quality with a healthy lifespan. Something that might increase in value and will certianly add style to our present co...[/quote]

Interesting comparison Vicar, I have both formats, and whilst I''d agree, DVD in general is stunning, I still have some pretty good video''s from a few years ago!.

So maybe we should be discussing the quality of the video instead, because at the moment, the DVD range appears to be beyond our budget, no, I am not going to go too far on that one!.

As long as we don''t get a video from a car boot sale (Zamora) we may get away with it.

Does any of this make any sense to you?, because I''m getting lost.  

And when you go out to buy your dvd you tell anyone who wants to listen that you''ve got a tight budget, may have to buy a couple of old videos anyway in the hope that the dvd seller will reduce his price.

I''ve got a warm feeling about this one.

Spurs and Villa haven''t exactly crashed in yet - could be a good outcome yet.

We can offer quite a lot to Ashton where he would be a big fish immediately rather than a small fish elsewhere.

If only we convince him that we''ll be Premiership next year too.

But there is a problem if you buy a DVD and you only have a video player to play it on! In that case your DVD is redundant (their life isn''t actually as much as its cracked up to be, some of the early ones are suffering from metal fatigue already) 

While you are saving up for your DVD player you can build a collection of "bargain" videos that you can play and you will not worry about once you swap over.

but I would steer clear of betamax!

OTBC

I think the whole bunch of you are getting your wires crossed. The DVD replacement is just around the corner and, in case anyone is counting their fingers, we don''t have enough money for that either. I suggest you stick to the pulpit Vicar. 

Problem with DVD is that with three formats what works on one machine might not work on another. And Yankee- if you''re talking about Bluray or HDDVD that''s the equivalent of buying an Arsenal 17 year old wonderkid who might turn out to be a complete flop but will involve a huge investment.

Personally I''d go down to Blockbuster, then you have money over for pizza too.

Yeah but did you know that Betamax was in fact the superior format, VHS was the more popular but lower quality - thats true!

[quote]Yeah but did you know that Betamax was in fact the superior format, VHS was the more popular but lower quality - thats true![/quote]

Yep, just like the industry tried to quosh DAT because it was a superior format and they were worrying about pirating at better than CD quality..

Way off topic here..!

I''ll just make a copy of Ashton with my DVD writer; all the quality of the original DVD, but for a fraction of the price. Problem solved.

We bought some top class DVDs at the start of the season but trouble was they were a different region and didn''t work well on our DVD player. After some months of a fairly poor picture, the problem has recently cleared and these DVDs now look really good. It would be nice when we buy our new DVDs if they were a great picture straight away.

another thing with dvds is that when they are first released they are quite expensive, but if you wait for about 6 months you can always pick them up in one of those 3 for £20 deals, but then again the old classic ones still retail at the same price all the time and they are sure to bring out a collectors edition of one you just brought 3 months later and i am not really sure where i am going with this.....

also with a DVD if you keep the receipt and it breaks you can take it back and get another one that is worth exactly the same and is the same quality.  You canny do that with an injured footballer.