Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

A very good reason to support Manchester United.........

I mentioned this when Alex Ferguson came out about international football rights on MTV (not music TV!).Can''t remember which thread it was though sadly.

I wouldn''t trust man utd, ferguson wouldn''t make that final decision on money and revenue so he can say what he likes, it would be the board. And i can''t see the Glazers saying "yeah its fine we share the same amount as x promoted clubs from the championship after all they deserve it".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15269831.stm

This will be good for the game what $ankers.   So the rich get rich and the smaller clubs get poorer, the gulf gets bigger and football dies.   I just do not understand the greed in football today, it is already totally out of control and now this brain wave!  No wonder the national team never performs, we are too worried about slaries and tv rights and making money than the game itself

Liverpool''s main argument for wanting more of the TV revenues are so that they can keep pace with other European clubs such as Barcelona and Real Madrid. Firstly I think this a remarkable show of arrogance from a club who despite all their tradition and pedigree have not seriously threatened to win a league title for about 20 years. If the comment had come from Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea, who for me now represent the 3 big hitters of English football, it may have been more valid.

However the most concerning thing is how no mention or thought is given to how this will effect the English domestic game, which is ultimately the bread and butter of these "big" clubs. The competition will be drained of what minimal integrity it has left. What effect will it also have on lower league teams? Presumably such a deal would represent the end of solidarity payments to the football league which many teams rely on. It is pure greed and is effectively trying to cut adrift the rest of English footballing pyramid. Sadly this monster is probably inevitable.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/11/liverpool-breakaway-tv-deal

"Sir Alex Ferguson recently described the collective deal as "fair", albeit while insisting clubs deserved more from overseas rights"

Two points here. Firstly the whole argument that Liverpool are making surrounds ''overseas rights'' so it would appear there is not much differnce between their views and those of Alex Ferguson. Secondly, as the poster above points out, Alex Ferguson has no say over the corporate strategy of Manchester United and is just voicing his opinion. I suspect the Glazers would be all for this idea.

Lots of talk about Spain but La Liga has been incredibly dull over the last couple of years and despite a fairly open start to this season you would get long odds against Barcelona and Real Madrid finsihing way ahead of the rest again this season. This is a league where a number of decent sized clubs can''t even find a shirt sponsor such is the dominance of the big two when it comes to TV rights.

I''m totally against this. All income from TV rights should be shared amongst clubs equally in order to at least try to ensure a semblance of equal competition. Put even more money into the ''big'' clubs hands and we will end up with an even more uncompetitive league. I would even say that there is an argument for the smaller clubs to get a larger share than the bigger ones in order to raise the overall level of competition, as monopolisation of the game by these big clubs is surely killing the game at the lower level.

The big question is how far you take it?

Should the Premier money be shared more equally with the non-Prem teams?

Obviously Liverpool''s position stinks on this, but NCFC is now part of the problem as far as I''m concerned: the Premier teams take far too much of the money and pretty much all football''s ills in this country stem from that.

I know Bly''s being provocative, but United are hardly whiter than white on this. They''ve got all the cash already.

[quote user="paul moy"]I''m totally against this. All income from TV rights should be shared amongst clubs equally in order to at least try to ensure a semblance of equal competition. Put even more money into the ''big'' clubs hands and we will end up with an even more uncompetitive league. I would even say that there is an argument for the smaller clubs to get a larger share than the bigger ones in order to raise the overall level of competition, as monopolisation of the game by these big clubs is surely killing the game at the lower level.[/quote]

You''ve hit the nail squarely on the head here.

Back in the early 90s the reason the Premier League was formed was because the top believed that the old first divisions had fallen a long way behind other top divisions in Europe. There was less money in the game and the big English clubs were less able to attract the world’s best players. "Disgruntled at the way English football was heading, ten of the top teams threatened to create a new division which would break-away from the Football League which they''d been a part of for over 100 years, and it was this notion that took the first steps towards the creation of the Premier League."

So now it seems we''ve gone full circle and our top clubs need yet more money to compete with other country''s top clubs around Europe. When will this stop? It''s time for the other clubs to stand up to them. If they threaten to break away then let them go.

The first Premier League included Norwich, QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Wimbledon, Sheffield Utd., Coventry, Ipswich Southampton, Oldham, Crystal Palace, Middlesboro and Nottingham Forest. That''s over half the league that haven''t really prospered for placating those big boys who threatened to break away.

If you ask the fans of all the clubs apart from the big few they will probably tell you that all they want is to be competitive in their own country. I for one see our clubs being successful in Europe as only a minor concern. We, like those other original members of the PL, have spent most of the last 20 years "a million miles away" from European football anyway.

Having been duped once I hope we don''t fall for it again!

I am surprised that no one else has mentioned this but surely English clubs have had more than their fair share of success in Europe over the last 10-12 years?

How many times have English clubs reached semi finals, finals or won it even?

Where is the evidence to show that more money will guarantee success in Europe? Take Chelsea for example, a club that has been funded by a multi-billionaire for many years now and they have still not won the Champions League under Ambramovic''s stewardship. Conversley, Liverpool have won the Champions League during Ambramovic''s reign at Chelsea, they did so in 2005.

Real Madrid have not been in a Champions League Final since 2002 (which is also the last time they won the competition).  Both Barcelona and Manchester United have been in 3 Champions League finals in recent times. Barcelona have won all 3 (2006, 2009, 2011), Man U won in 2008 and were runners up in 2009 and 2011.

It is greed, plain and simple.  The current set up is already massively in favour of the bigger clubs, from revenue through to the poaching of talented young players from leser clubs yet they still want more!

A disgrace![:@]

The NFL is exciting every year, because the lowest ranked team gets first pick in the draft - the most talented college graduate gets picked by the league''s worst team. That is what makes it so competitive, and why it truly is a case of anyone can beat anyone.

Sure, there are periods of dominance by one team, but never for decades.

Its a totally different sport but if the Premier League wants to stay interesting then it has to remain competitive. It''s not even close to that at the moment.

As for Liverppol... F**k the scouse tossers. Let them go and play in a league consisting only of them, Utd, Chelsea and Man City. They can play each team 12 times each and see how interesting and profitable that league is... The Prem would be a better league for cutting the big clubs loose and letting them form some sort of Euro-super league or something.

As far as I recall Alex Ferguson was not mentioned in the referenced Independent article.

The position of that club was described thusly:

''At United, the Glazer family remain adamant that a break-up of collective selling would potentially create a La Liga-style two- or three-club monopoly and critically weaken the Premier League''s appeal.''

OTBC

Ow, let the poor impoverished ManUre, Liverlose, Chelski et al join Barca and Real in a Euro league. People will soon get bored of watching a bunch of fancy dans drawing 0-0 every week! We can carry on with playing in a league where the unexpected will be back!

Dont get your knickers in a twist too quickly over this story, for it to happen Liverpool would need support from 13 other PL teams to pass the motion.  The only other opton would be for them to break away from the Premier League (good riddance I would say). 

For some reason I cannot see 13 other teams supporting a proposal that would only benefit 3/4 teams can you?

Have wanted the "big four" (plus Liverpool) to

breakway and play in their "Sky Sports Coca Cola with Sony Sunday Night Super Soccer Elite Cosmic League In Association With X-Box Euro Super Sixteen" league for years.

Would anyone miss them? No.

Would English league football wither and die without them? No.

Would there still be a TV deal in place for the remaining clubs in the ''new'' Premier League and interest in same? Yes.

The money involved would be less, thus the excesses would be less and the league more competitive.

Man U etc fans would soon get fed up with playing Roma and Borrusia Dortmund 2-3 times a season, every season, and be desperate to return to English league football.

Realistically we need a PL thats as competitive and unpredictable as the Championship-where maybe 6-8 clubs have a chance of winning it and as many as 12-14 can look for a play off place.

Because there is less money it is more competitive.

Liverpool, the irony-how many good English clubs missed out on European football because of what happened at Heysel? Now they want to ensure most of them still miss out on it, whilst they have it and the joint riches that the competition and the TV money brings them every season.

Just go.