Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

NCFC Premiership Dream Team?

Reading the articles with both Hucks and Sutton in recent days, I''ve started to think about which Norwich City players from the Premiership past and present would make up the Dream Team?

When you get to thinking about it, its harder than it seems.

Obviously Gunn would get the nod in goal just ahead of Greeno, and Hucks and Sutton would have to be in there, but who are the best of the rest?

Would you put Ashton in for his half a season? 

The likes of Wes, Crook, Ruel Fox, his brother David, Damien Francis and Neil Adams contend for a midfield berth, but who else am I missing?

Defence is perhaps the problem area, since our back four from the 2004-2005 season were perhaps not the best. Drury, Edworthy, Russel Martin? 

Can we even include the new crop of players based purely on a handful of games?

I thought this would be easy with so few seasons to choose from, but I''m clearly wrong...

What say you, Pinkunites?

Presumably this team is playing in the Premier League as it is at present so I''ll go for a 4-2-3-1. 

Gunn

Culverhouse  Butterworth Polston Bowen

Crook   Safri

Fox     Hoolahan    Huckerby

Sutton

Subs - Green, Ashton, Robins, Francis, Eadie, Tierney

P.S. I am contributing to this thread despite that fact that I consider ''best Premier League'' conversations to be quite horrible. Football did exist before Sky invented it in the eraly nineties [;)]

I really struggle to understand the love for Safri. I was unfortunately on the other side of the world for a lot of the 04/05 season. Can someone tell me of some noteworthy matches other than Newcastle at home??

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]I really struggle to understand the love for Safri. I was unfortunately on the other side of the world for a lot of the 04/05 season. Can someone tell me of some noteworthy matches other than Newcastle at home??[/quote]

No ''noteworthy matches'' spring to mind but he wasn''t that sort of player.  He was always solid in midfield, strong in the tackle, a real rock.  Also he had a great eye for a pass, for long periods of his spell here at Carrow Road he was the only player who could actually find Hucks with a good through ball apart from when Drury used to pass it down the wing for him. 

He was the complete central midfielder really.  Solid with good technique as well.  He was also an absolute gent.  Imagine Bradley Johnson but with the passing of Fox.  Fox is the best passer we have had since Safri.

Some people might tell you completely different but that will only be because for some very strange reason they sided with Peter Grant when he and Safri had a fall out.  Also anyone who sat in the Snakepit that day we played Southampton and gave Safri loads of abuse on his return to Carrow Road were an absolute disgrace.  He didn''t deserve it.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

The likes of Wes, Crook, Ruel Fox, his brother David, Damien Francis and Neil Adams contend for a midfield berth, but who else am I missing?

[/quote]

Quality!!!

Being really biased towards this season:

Gunn

Culverhouse

R Martin

Barnett

Bowen

D Fox

Crook

Bennett

Hoolahan

Huckerby

Sutton

Green

Polston

Tierney

B Johnson

R Fox

Eadie

Ashton

My favourite thing Safri ever did was when we were live on TV and a player smashed the football into Safri''s nether regions as he slid in for a tackle and the cameras picked up him screaming in a Moroccan accent "Ma balls!"

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]So our side currently is on a par with a side that challenged for the Premier League title?[/quote]To be fair Trent you can''t even compare the two, football is a completely different game nowadays, and if you matched up the same two teams then our current team would probably beat them, comfortably.If they both had the same conditioning etc then it may be a different story.

I could never understand why the fans sided with Grunt, he hung Safri out to dry. I used to speak toYoussef quite a bit as we both had a mate in common and he loved it here and was gutted the way it ended. A real gentleman and a great fan of Norfolk and despite that, a great no nonsense midfielder. Had Grant retained him then he may have held on to his own job a little longer..

Houston Canary wrote the following post at 13/10/2011 4:18 AM:

No Kevin Reeves, Ted McDougal or Martin Peters? Really????

The key is in the title... NCFC PREMIERSHIP Dream Team... none of the trio you mention played in the Prem so arent eligible...

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Gunn Culverhouse Butterworth Mackay Bowen Holt Crook Goss Eadie Ashton Huckerby[/quote]

Mackay never played for us in the Prem (he did for Watford, but not for us).

And unless you mean Grant, I can''t put Gary Holt into the Prem dream team personally. Yes, he was the engine of the team in the Championship, but he looked out of his depth in the Prem to me...

Caught me out there Evil Monkey, careless...yep, Malky had moved on.

Swap him for Newsome in that case. Wanted a big bastard alongside Ian Butterworth.

Thought about Gary Holt-yes, he was maybe just a little past his prime when we came up. Gossy and Ian Crook was a no brainer for me, they complemented each other so well in 92/93.

Mackay? lol

Green

Culverhouse Butterworth Polston Bowen

Eadie Crook Francis Huckerby

Sutton Ashton

Subs

Gunn Drury Bennett Safri DFox RFox Robins

Doh - edit

Green

Culverhouse Butterworth Polston Bowen

Eadie Crook Francis Huckerby

Sutton Ashton

Subs

Gunn Drury DPhillips Safri DFox RFox Robins

Good team currently - need to see more and can see some making it; but none challenging yet. D Fox as crook replacement, with wessi a distinct possible