Sign in to follow this  
anonamoose

10/11 & 11/12 Similarities?

I can''t help but draw similarities from this season and last year. A slow(ish) start of players finding their feet a little but still good performances. A few nerves at the back but improving all the time. Today we really looked like a very comfortable prem team. Maybe not the finished article, but not a million miles away.Thoughts?

I thought as a team we have progressed more than Swansea, we have become more disciplined and our back eight negated the threat that Swansea clearly have. The present team are playing collectively at the top of their game. Lambert has picked a team that has reduced the early defensive errors and adapted to the style of football required. Just as the team did in previous seasons.

Very impressed.

H

we perform as a team and PL has them superbly drilled so they know what they should be doing

4th game unchanged really paying dividends...

"we were playing only Swansea"

The same Swansea who, before the game started yesterday, were 9th in the league having lost only to Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal, and picking up 8 points against the other 4 established premiership sides they''ve played against? Whilst Swansea might trail off a bit at the end of the season, they were in better form when we played them than more than half of the sides in this division, and they''ve not had a ridiculously easy start.

I agree with much of what has been said above. We have adapted well. Even the games at the start of the season we were punished by lapses in concentration (giving away penalties etc) rather than not being anywhere near good enough.

You can at times still see the gulf in quality, but we more than make up for that with our ethic and grit, and we can play some decent stuff as well at times. Lambert has changed things slightly to work better in the premiership, and I think we''ll continue to go on getting stronger. I doubt we''ll stay up here in 8th for too long, but I can see no reason why we can''t be comfortably mid table come the end of the season.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Lambert is proving that he is a quick learner, he''s still young and in-experienced but it doesn''t take him long to adjust to new situations.[/quote]              i agree. he seems to have ditched the diamond having bought two wingers. the diamond in the lower divisions was effective but against faster and more skillfull wide men we would be cut to shreds employing this system. this is obviously something PL planned for with the purchase of bennett and pilks, who are turning out to be bargains.

Great result yesterday and atmosphere superb even in the J.

I just felt at times we were making unforced errors and not as comfortable at times as we have.

Having said this we have had the two week break and the season for me starts proper from yesterday.

Our formation is very defensive and it would be nice to see the return of the attacking diamond at home to the lower teams to kill the game off as we could of earlier against Sunderland.

All in all great start and a point a game is being achieved at this stage.

Enjoying it lots

"I can''t help but draw similarities from this season and last year. A slow(ish) start of players finding their feet a little but still good performances. A few nerves at the back but improving all the time. Today we really looked like a very comfortable prem team. Maybe not the finished article, but not a million miles away."

My sentiments exactly.

A more telling stat is 9 points out of a possible 12 in the last 4 games - which would see us as champions were that to be carried through all 38 games ! The losing points being away at Man Utd, probably the most likely game for us to not get points.

The team looks settled and Lambert seems to be sticking with the format of having a ''standby'' for each position. Barring a major loss in players through injury/suspension I can only see us moving forward and certainly looking upward rather than being down among the deadmen.