Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Canary

Time to get Lewis McGugan?

Forest are struggling on the pitch and financially so why not use this situation to get McGugan on the cheap. He''s impressed me when I''ve seen him play last season.

What do you think?

If there was any midfielder at Forest I''d look at, its Chris Cohen when he''s fit again. They''re missing him a lot at the moment and he''d fit right into the Lambert way of playing. Norwich lad also.

Yeah McGugan wouldn''t fit into this side. He''s either awesome, or rubbish. And even when he''s awesome, he''s lazy. Can''t see it happening.

Cohen would fit in more, he''s a Lambert type player and has also got the added benefit of being able to play pretty much anywhere down the left as well as central (fitted in at left back for forest for much of the past couple of seasons). Not that I think we need to bother getting him necessarily.

I would love to see him here,   young with some real potential;  has clearly gone off the ball at forest but can see him giving real quality cover to our midfield, and the chance to change our shape coming of the bench;  more creative and attacking than crofts.

However if strengthening the squad would still look up front first then defence and midfield last.

I think thati if we''re going to stick with 4411 the only position we could do with cover/competition is for Wes. We don''t really have anyone who can play that role if he gets injured. McGugan might be a decent option for that.

The point I was making is he''s a good young player who has his best days ahead of him and consistency comes with age.. Secondly it seems like Forest need the money so he''ll cost a lot less than he did in the summer.

I thought he would be a good substitute for Hoolahan for when he''s injured etc.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]He''s clearly got a lot of talent but has done next to nothing for the past 6-12months and has even found himself out of the side in recent times.[/quote]Yes, but didn''t we get David Fox from Colchester Reserves?

Indeed, if McGugan has the hunger to succeed then he would be an excellent purchase to cover Wes and could cover Pilks or Bennett if they get injured as well. Pilks and Bennett can play either wing to McGugan can cover the right wing/midfield.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]He''s clearly got a lot of talent but has done next to nothing for the past 6-12months and has even found himself out of the side in recent times.[/quote]

''

Yes possibly, but if you had Billy ''Obnoxious'' Davies and Steve ''Yesh'' McClaren as your managers, your focus might be elsewhere!

Good call on McGugan...lots of potential but quiet of late...but something tells me PL has his shopping list already...he could already be on it?

I spoke to a current NCFC player that PL signed summer 2010 and PL tried to get him when he was manager of Wycombe...so he definitely has his "type".

First purchase for me would be Naughton on a permanent deal...and free a space for another loanee. Maybe a 30+ has-been international captain of a Scandinavian team? ;0)

By the time the window opens we should have 3 more fit CBs so I don''t think we need to strengthen there. As for strikers if we are going to stick with predominantly playing 1 up front I think the 5 or so we have at the moment give us enough cover. We'' ll also be at the point (hopefully) that Vaughan will be coming back and having him fit will be like a new signing.

Buying Naughton is a good shout, if he''s available and the right price.

[quote user="Mahogany"]By the time the window opens we should have 3 more fit CBs so I don''t think we need to strengthen there. As for strikers if we are going to stick with predominantly playing 1 up front I think the 5 or so we have at the moment give us enough cover. We'' ll also be at the point (hopefully) that Vaughan will be coming back and having him fit will be like a new signing. Buying Naughton is a good shout, if he''s available and the right price.[/quote]

As for center backs, according to the official site both Whitbread and Ward are out of contract next summer and nothing has been heard of Whitbread accepting the contract offer. Furthermore theres nothing wrong with trying to find better players.

With regard to the forwards you may want more goal power, two goals from eight games is hardly prolific from them as a group.

At the moment we have little need to reinforce an impressive midfield.Even Crofts, (and Surman and Lappin) can''t get a start, and I am sure that Martin C could perform there in an emergency, Adeyemi may be back soon and Korey will be fit eventually.

Of course an injury or two and it could be different.

If we sign anyone in January it surely has to be a striker. If Morison is injured, the cupboard looks a little bare, with no Vaughan for a time. On Saturday Wilbraham was on the bench!

McNally/Bowcett were promising up to 3 new players, but these would have to be cheap, I think. A top striker would cost real money and McGugan plenty. I can''t see us paying up to £20m!