Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Just how much damage did Roeder cause at Norwich.

Roeder is a decent coach who often achieves a short term uplift in the fortunes of sides he takes over. This is in line with what Hucks says about his training being good and him being a capable coach. This is also why he did what we needed him to do when he initially came in and saved us (temporarily) from relegation.

However, he is also a strange guy and it appears has serious man management issues which is why his record demonstrates he often has major issues in his second or third seasons in a job and invariably falls out with people. Having been at the infamous AGM i can see why and I also have friend who worked in the media who have told me stories of him acting like a real t**t at times (having said that most managers blow their top with the press occasionally, even Sir Paul). It is therefore no surprise that once players have played under him for a while and realise what he is like many of them appear to stop playing for him and things go a bit wrong.

In my view the AGM performance showed a man with real issues. What is even more depressing though is that i can also recall Doncaster saying at a forum I attended that the board weere well aware that things used to go wrong for Roeder in the second season when they appointed him but thjought it was worth the risk for the short term objective of keeping us up. This being the case I find it incredible that they allowed him to decimate the squad and waste money on loan signings in the way they did but then in hindsight Doncaster was just as culpable as roeder for the mess we found ourselves in if not more!

The way Hucks was treated at the end of his time with Norwich was down to pure spite from Roeder and was an utter disgrace. At the end of the day though one can rest assured he will be held in high esteem by our fans for evermore whereas the other is simply a distant (and thankfully very short lived) memory.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I''ve met Roeder a couple of times and always found him quiet a nice guy - very funny in fact. But I have also heard through conversation with some of his ex-players that he is a very different character when at work.

Huckerby himself says he had no doubts of his knowledge or ability, and this is a common theme, he is well respected by many in the footballing world. His man management abilities are without question fairly poor though.

I feel Roeder was in an impossible position at Norwich, fans and board with high expectations but no money to work with and many poor players on very high wages.

Also, if Huckerby was going to players and telling them to not sign for Norwich because he has a personal problem with the manager - then he should have been kicked out of the club.

[/quote]Not quite sure what I''m reading here - you felt he was in an impossible position at Norwich with no money, yet he spent over 2 million quid just on bringing in temporary loans?As for your comments regarding Hucks - well, I find it disappointing that you are siding with someone who very nearly destroyed the club, as opposed to an absolute club legend who always did his best for us. Ultimately the manager should always have the final say, but he disgraceful treatment of Huckerby ultimately brought about his downfall.[/quote] ABSOLUTLYT SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can''t quite believe some of the tosh i''m reading here. Even for the Pinkun forum it''s plumbing new depths...

Firstly, can i just point out that people aren''t just commenting on ''Darren''s side of the story''. We''re commenting both of how Darren saw it, and how we, as fans, saw it. No doubt Roeder would have a different opinion on matters, but i''d say the ''results'' we picked up under him and the fact that history proves him to have been utterly useless as our manager would nullify his point of view. He failed, of course he''ll try and pass the buck for that.

I can''t recall who said this earlier in the thread, but could someone, please, explain to me how Roeder was ''quite good tactically'', or how he ''did his best to bring in new players on a budget''? Maybe it''s a case of certain fans having short memories, but the Roeder i remember was and did neither of those things.

The Roeder i remember was the one who sold our best defender to pay the loan wages of an utterly useless reject from Newcastle. The Roeder i remember was the one who loaned in a young forward without, evidently, bothering to go and watch him even once, as proven by the fact that he suddenly became ''lightweight''. The Roeder i remember was the one who consistently played a negative 4-5-1 despite being a goal (at least) down. The Roeder i remember was the one who made the useless halfwit Fotheringham captain. The Roeder i remember is the one who, apparently, called our best player a ''has been'' despite being shown just what he could do on that day in Sheffield. Name me another player in our squad that day who could''ve scored the goal Darren did?

Yes, he had a hard job to do when he came here, but the fact of the matter is that he made us even worse.

I genuinely never thought i''d see Roeder apologists on a Norwich forum. Deary me.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I''ve met Roeder a couple of times and always found him quiet a nice guy - very funny in fact. But I have also heard through conversation with some of his ex-players that he is a very different character when at work.

Huckerby himself says he had no doubts of his knowledge or ability, and this is a common theme, he is well respected by many in the footballing world. His man management abilities are without question fairly poor though.

I feel Roeder was in an impossible position at Norwich, fans and board with high expectations but no money to work with and many poor players on very high wages.

Also, if Huckerby was going to players and telling them to not sign for Norwich because he has a personal problem with the manager - then he should have been kicked out of the club.

[/quote] Also bethnal i bet you were quick to jump on Gunns back yet youll sit and defend Rodent. What a joke!

The Roeder case is the classic scenario of somebody who is good at one job, being appointed to a management role on the basis of that, and proving to be totally inadequate at dealing with people. I am sure that most of us have been in the situation before, where you are working under a boss who is perfectly capable of doing your job, or any of your colleagues jobs, but ends up getting on the wrong side of everybody in the workplace. Roeder was that person - a perfectly capable player, and a good football coach, but hopeless in a situation where he had to deal with human beings, not just as a boss but in a  public relations capacity as well. It is one thing being rude to the players, but surely everyone understands the one golden rule of football management - whatever you do, don''t alienate the fans. I just wonder, did anyone at the club do any research into Roeder''s past, before they appointed him?

Roeder - tactically competent?? Sorry, just had a quick truip to A&E to sew up my split sides.Remember away at Forest - the infamous 4-6-0 formation - the Death of Football ??Roeder was a tw4t, Hux is still an NCFC Legend, and yes I am old enough to have seen a few. Surely we must all be united on this at least???

As well as the 4-6-0 formation, we also had the single winger formation, and making Darel Russell a striker.

Tactical genius, Roeder.

No one has mentioned the fact that he sold Shackell without his knowlege in order to fund Sibieskis wages

Don''t know what happened with my first post there but here we go.

Why are some people doubting Hucks?  I believe him.  I have no reason not to believe him.  What I''ve seen of Roeder and what I''ve heard of him he was a horrible, arrogant person and him calling Hucks a ''has been'' doesn''t suprise me at all. 

Also why do some people want to hear Roeder''s side of the story!?  Do you not trust one of the biggest legends of the club who also happens to be one of the biggest fans of the club in what he says?  Roeder was a disgrace in everything he said and done and some of the people sticking up for him need to remember how they felt when we got relegated at Charlton and lost 7-1 to Colchester.  Maybe then you''ll think twice about trying to stick up for that pathetic excuse of a manager.

I think this thread has finally led me to think i shouldn''t ever look on this forum again. The fans on here are a minority of the 25,000 that attend each game and some of the views on here are ridiculous.Defending Roeder? No-one defended him at the time...he''s a class Twat and everyone knows that''s the case. Huckerby was very fair in saying Roeder was a good coach (i think one of the main parts of management is man-management, so i''d say he''s fucking awful), but he''s told us what Roeder said in the dressing room. Would Huckerby make it up? Of course not, he loves this club. And of course, there was an entire squad of players that could pipe up and say that it wasn''t the case.I only need one side of the story because Glenn Roeder is a prize tool that never deserved a job here in the first place. I had sympathy after abuse he received from West Ham fans, especially relating to his illness but it''s very, very hard to defend someone who is clearly such a massive cunt.And `legend` status isn''t something for children. It''s something that''s earnt in many different ventures in life and Huckerby has earnt a lot more respect than some people have shown on here. He certainly deserves a lot more than the tit that is Glenn Roeder.Hucks, i suggest you ignore the rest of this thread because it''s going to fill up rather quickly with the usual attention-seeking purposefully controversial twunts that we''re used to.

I can''t believe how some people are exagerating comments on here and hyping them out of all recognition.

Having an opinion that they would be interested in seeing how Roeder would present his side of what went on isn''t doubting Hucks. I''d be interested because whilst I do not have fond memories of Roeder and whilst he obviously had some form of insecurity that led to him behaving like a massive c0ck he was clearly promoted into management way over his head and his interactions with owners and fans plus players and how he felt those went would be interesting.

But above all, can everybody just keep a bit of perspective and stop trying to out do each other in declaring their undying queerosexual love for Hucks to the exclusion of discussing a topic sensibly?

[quote user="NWC"]Roeder - tactically competent?? Remember away at Forest - the infamous 4-6-0 formation - the Death of Football ??[/quote]I''m not getting involved in the overall debate here although I have far more time for Hucks than I ever will Roeder, but the above comment is just nonsense.4-6-0 was a formation adopted successfully by both Man Utd and Roma, and is seen by some highly respected managers as being the next evolutionary step of the game. Gone are the old centre forwards, replaced with faster, more versatile ''attackers'' - something which many top teams are now implementing.Roeder may be a shockingly arrogant man manager, but he does know the game, and this sort of tactic is certainly not something to be laughed at - as long as you have the players to make it really work, and that''s the only questionable part of it''s selection for us by Roeder IMHO.Also, I do have to say that I''m apalled that a player like Hucks could be addressed so poorly infront of the other players as described, assuming it''s true, it''s a terrible example of Roeder''s failings on a personal level, and shows arguably one of the key reasons we struggled under him - he alienated the players with his attitude, and once you lose the dressing room then no formation or tactic is going to help you...

Not sure if any one else has said this, but i''m annoyed that if this is the case that the board/directors/CE did not get shot of him sooner.

Also there must have been discussions between board members and Roeder about the future of Hucks.

If so, I would have thought someone might over ruled his decision. Considering how long it took to sign him

bones the 4-6-0 has never been implemented by top teams they still have strikers on the pitch. ridiculous statement.

[quote user="Ruddy Wizard"]I can''t believe how some people are exagerating comments on here and hyping them out of all recognition. Having an opinion that they would be interested in seeing how Roeder would present his side of what went on isn''t doubting Hucks. I''d be interested because whilst I do not have fond memories of Roeder and whilst he obviously had some form of insecurity that led to him behaving like a massive c0ck he was clearly promoted into management way over his head and his interactions with owners and fans plus players and how he felt those went would be interesting. But above all, can everybody just keep a bit of perspective and stop trying to out do each other in declaring their undying queerosexual love for Hucks to the exclusion of discussing a topic sensibly?[/quote]

Look on the bright side, Ruddy Wizard. We''ve now discovered I''ve got TWO Achilles'' heels. One is thinking Ruddy is quite bad enough to play for England. The other being what I now find out is an absurd notion of wanting to hear both sides of a story...[;)]

Forest away 4-6-0, didn''t we end up winning that game?!

Roeder did sign some good players (hoolahan, bell, clingan) however his man management style can only ever work short term. His old fashioned management techniques are dated in today''s game, the players simply become sick of being controlled and harshly disciplined. Today''s manager needs to be far more dynamic and have a wide range of management techniques due to the diversity of today''s players.

That Lambert''s got a lot to learn. He needs to get himself a trench-coat, wooly gloves and sit on his @rse in the Director''s Box (outside of a touchline ban) if he wants to be a proper manager.

BTW I seem to recall Tony Pulis held Roeder in high regard!

Ian Murray wasn''t a good player for us but he too didn''t have many kind words to say about Roeder when he left the club. Didn''t he suggest chucking a game once because he was so sick of Roeder....?

I have to say i ama huge Hux fan, he has been the best player i have seen in our yellow and green. Although we should all remember that the departure of Hux enabled us to bring in Wessi. At first i thought it was a huge mistake and he couldn''t be replaced, i still think he had another season in him with us and he could have kept us up, but there has been a great asset arrive at our side because of his departure.I have to say it sounds like the club and the roedent both acted disgracefully towards Darren and the fans towards the end of his time with us, i am just glad he is still a huge fan of the club and at least he wasn''t part of that dreadful team that got us relegated.

I think people on here are unfair on Glenn Roeder. He came in and did a fantastic job in keeping us up.  He did exactly what was asked of him and exactly what his record at other clubs stated he would do.However, this is the point he should have been let go, but really how many clubs are going to sack a manager who did so well? Regardless that his previous record said he would lose the dressing room and everything start to go wrong in the second season. Maybe this time it would be different?Obviously it was not, his man-management came to the fore at the end of his first season and start of his second, falling out with Cureton, Huckerby and Hoolahan amongst others.  Some astute loans had helped keep us up, and Roeder thought he could continue this tactic to more success, sadly he went overboard, we even had more loans than we were allowed to play in one game. On top of this we even had non-English-FA loanees which didn''t count towards the limit! Far too many mercenary loans + unhappy players and we slid down the league, 4th bottom when he was sacked.Did he destroy the squad, he certainly didn''t help matters, not that we had much going for us at that point anyway.That''s how I see it anyway :o)

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I''m sure Simon Lappin hasn''t a bad word to say about Glenn either.[/quote]Didn''t he stick him up for sale!  It really makes you wonder how Roeder manages to have a great start to his career at every club he has managed, when you see how utterly awful a manager he is subsequently.

[quote user="."]As well as the 4-6-0 formation, we also had the single winger formation, and making Darel Russell a striker. Tactical genius, Roeder.[/quote]

Can''t believe I forgot Darel Russell the striker!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Ruddy Wizard"]I can''t believe how some people are exagerating comments on here and hyping them out of all recognition. Having an opinion that they would be interested in seeing how Roeder would present his side of what went on isn''t doubting Hucks. I''d be interested because whilst I do not have fond memories of Roeder and whilst he obviously had some form of insecurity that led to him behaving like a massive c0ck he was clearly promoted into management way over his head and his interactions with owners and fans plus players and how he felt those went would be interesting. But above all, can everybody just keep a bit of perspective and stop trying to out do each other in declaring their undying queerosexual love for Hucks to the exclusion of discussing a topic sensibly?[/quote]

Look on the bright side, Ruddy Wizard. We''ve now discovered I''ve got TWO Achilles'' heels. One is thinking Ruddy is quite bad enough to play for England. The other being what I now find out is an absurd notion of wanting to hear both sides of a story...[;)]

[/quote]

Please Sir! Please Sir! I only wanted to hear both sides of the story. Err codswallop, re-read what you wrote on the first page of this thread -

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Two observations. One is that this "legend" nonsense (which really should just be for children, like Father Christmas) gets in the way of sensible discussion.

Secondly, this is one side of the story. Huckerby''s side. Roeder, if he went public, might put what happened in a different context. Without his version it is impossible to make cast-iron judgments.

[/quote]

How on earth would Roeder''s side of the story put what happened in a different context? Please enlighten me!