Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Morison, Holt and Swansea

This has been bugging me for three days now ......and I need to get this monkey off my shoulder. So here goes.

Just an observation, nothing more nothing less.

I thought Holt in his way was just as effective for the team as was Morison during his 25 minutes on Saturday against Swansea.

Anybody else?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

This has been bugging me for three days now ......and I need to get this monkey off my shoulder. So here goes.

I thought Holt in his way was just as effective for the team as was Morison during his 25 minutes on Saturday against Swansea.

Anybody else?

[/quote]

Shouldn''t think so Bly.  We seem to be very short of monkeys around these parts these days. [8-|]

Holt and Morison play very different games so it is hard to totally compare them... so I guess I agree with you.

Morison really deserves a goal but I would also love to see Holt start to hit the net too as I think despite his critics he will still be very valuable this season.

Anybody else?

OTBC

[/quote]

I think you might be getting your shoulder and back mixed up with your chip and monkey

i was disappointed with his performance off the bench on saturday as well. Not slating him or anything, but he didn''t look match fit, which is understandable as he hasn''t played much for a few weeks and hadnt featured in any reserve games. Tough one because Morison clearly deserves to play and the system is successful at the moment so 2 strikers isn''t what what we need currently. But without much football I think he suffers more than most as he''s always took time to get going in a season, something he hasn''t got the luxury of doing this season with greater competition.

Hopefully a couple of reserve games in succession will get his fitness and sharpness back so he can perform to his best when he comes on as a sub. Would be great to see him get a few games and goals but he has to earn his place whe he gets the chance, and judging by is appearance saturday he''s going to have to do better to kick Morison out of the side, who has been excellent past few games.

I think Grant has found it harder to adapt, some of his attempts at getting free kicks from wiser refs are a bit comical. Last couple of years they were given. He is thought the sort of player you want in the side if you want to close to game down with 20 mins to go.

H

He did well and seemed more willing to take a chance on a shot than Morison, though I think Morison was sensational.

Against Swansea Holt seemed to stay on his feet more. The last couple of times he came on it got a bit silly and the refs were having none of it. He''s a great player and it''s great to have two targetmen who can cause different sorts of problems for defenders.

I agree, I thought Holt did a good job against Swansea. BUT, I think Morison is the man we need to continue starting with the formation we play, as a lone striker. And I wouldn''t saw Holt was as effective, because Morison was fantastic. It''s just that Holt really mixes it up and offers something different. He ensured we kept the ball up the right end really well.

He was decent enough when he came and did all that was expected of him. Although I would disagree that he was ''just as effective for the team as Morison was''. Much better than his embarassing cameo against Sunderland.

If you''ve got the ball then the opposition cannot hurt you - For me Morison is the better choice right now for that reason, I don''t know how he comes out of tackles with the ball.

Just as the time will come for Holt, the goals will come for Morison.

They would both benefit hugely if Vaughan was fit.

I agree with Morty....

and

wait for it....

If a Championship side come in with a good enough offer in January...it may be good-bye????

[quote user="morty"]Sorry, but I cringe a little when I see Holt come on recently.

There, I said it.
[/quote]

I''ve just spoken to Kathy so now you are in for it Morty!

Give the guy a break! We are where we are because of him. What is good about Holt, is that he can look pretty shit for a whole game sometimes and then be in the right place at the right time. We would be plain stupid to sell him in January. I bet he still has the work rate and desire, just Morison is probably more of a natural footballer.

Holt is far from finished at Norwich

I think Holt''s 25 min. Swansea outing showed that he''s learnt his lesson.

And I would back him to finish the season with a higher goal/min. ratio than Morison.

Now that''s not to say that I wouldn''t start with Morison, but he has a Heskeyesque look about him and that worries me a bit.

Holt really rattles defenders with the unexpected, his sheer unorthodox physicality and his very wide runs. And if he''s really learnt his lesson and adapted he should come on every match.

OTBC

I was not saying I THINK he should be sold...but with money available for up to 3 more signings AND if say Leicester offer up to £2m for him....stranger things have happened.....

And I would back him to finish the season with a higher goal/min. ratio than Morison. Now that''s not to say that I wouldn''t start with Morison, but he has a Heskeyesque look about him and that worries me a bit.

[/quote]

What do goals per minute ratios prove though Bly? It''s just another meaningless statistic dreamt up by some spotty oik to justify his team selection on Football Manager. Trust your eyes (and the words of Paul ''best No. 9 performance I have seen for an awful long time'' Lambert ) instead. Being ''Heskeyesque'' is really not an issue if the team around you are scoring regularly and you are contributing to that. Especially when there seems to be very little evidence that your replacement would be any less ''Heskeyesque''.

Holt really rattles defenders with the unexpected, his sheer unorthodox physicality and his very wide runs. And if he''s really learnt his lesson and adapted he should come on every match.

[/quote]

I was unsure of this idea at the start of the season (and was roundly criticised for it) but it seems even less factual now. Those eye catching tussles with central defenders, last ditch efforts at rescuing lost causes and bundling over opponents don''t actually do us a lot of good. Morison may not look as physical (amazingly some posters have even described him as being lazy [:O]) but he does much more to help us retain the ball. And with the slightly more direct and pacy approach we are taking to games now that is priceless.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Now that''s not to say that I wouldn''t start with Morison, but he has a Heskeyesque look about him and that worries me a bit.

[/quote]Probably just too much sun......

Lapps. Never thought I would have to stick up for Bly but why don''t you argue against his views rather than making snide comments about where he resides. It makes you look pretty pathetic.

Holt came on and certainly his long range effort and energy were welcome following Morison''s lone striker role for a number of international matches and domestic.

Personally as I have said before am not a fan of one striker upfront unless you have the quality in the rest of the team to still have very attacking wingers. We are close to that, but I am not convinced it could last all this season. I still believe two strikers are the best option, but that isn''t going to happen unless an injury comes in to play to this current team.

There is no way I would sell, cause if we go down he is exactly what we need for another season. This season Grant Holt will still have an impact. It is Jackson who I could see going if we are looking for another striker.

Just a side note - isn''t it great that when we do make a substitution we can bring on a player like crofts in the midfield, a top championship performer and international midfielder or a striker like Grant Holt.

[quote user="yarmy"]I agree with Morty.... and wait for it.... If a Championship side come in with a good enough offer in January...it may be good-bye????[/quote]

Please, what if Morison picks up a serious injury? Some people are truly clueless on here.

Holt knows he isn''t above the rest of the team and that he has to get there on merit. And I''m sure he will eventually, and score many an important goal for us this season.

Some people have short memories,we would still be in league 1 without Holt''s goals and i''m sure he will score many more for us but of course he can''t do that sitting on the bench .

[quote user="yoda"]Some people have short memories,we would still be in league 1 without Holt''s goals and i''m sure he will score many more for us but of course he can''t do that sitting on the bench .[/quote]No one can live on past glories though.What do you think of his performances so far then? Quality Premiership striker, squad bit part player or out of his depth a bit?I love the guy, but Morisons performances so far have totally outshone Holt''s, in my opinion.

I remember Holt being written off in the very same manner this time last year.  To be honest it just seems fashionable to criticise him at the minute - virtually every player goes through that phase. West Brom game apart I don''t think he''s been as bad as people say he is and I think his time will come - however at the moment he''s not getting in the team because we''re playing very well with our current team and nobody can argue otherwise.  But it''s foolish to write anybody off when there''s still 30 matches to play.

It''s a bit silly to write him off now.  At the moment we are playing one up front and no doubt that will change at some point so Holt will get games and I''m pretty sure he will get some goals.  Holt needs to adjust to the Premiership because how he bullied defenders and won free kicks in League 1 and the Championship won''t work this season so give him a bit more time.  I think he will come good at some point.  And selling him should be completely written off right now, he is still probably a huge figure in the dressing room and that alone is worth keeping him for this season even if he left in the summer.

Its a long season and he remains a key member of the squad - its just right now he is a very clear second best to morison; and there is nothing wrong with that

I agree with some of these comments, he doesn''t seem ready for the Premier League yet, he needs to adapt his game. It''ll come good in time, I''m sure.