Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Why can't Surman cut it in the Prem?

Without wanting to write him off too early, it does seem to be a case of history repeating itself for the guy.

Serious question though, what is it about his game? Pace? Work ethic? Strength?

Good vision, classy player to watch but i would say his pace and physical strength is not quite up to the Premier. Perhaps some sustained gym work might work. I hope so.

Not sure he cant cut it; in fact I think he can but seems to need confidence but think he is only not playiing because he is just being outperformed by a v impressive Pilkington at the mo,

who has a good partnership with tierny, offers similar passing and goal threat but the key difference is pace for me

Work ethic and slow in recovery to take up defensive positions. Championship is the highest level he is likely to regularly achieve.

I''ve never rated him. He came here with a reputation and never cut it even in the championship for me. Can pass a ball but do little else. Wouldn''t be a shock to seem him out in jan!

I wouldn''t write him off. He''s a decent squad player and will have do come in and do a job at some point. Will be better suited to the diamond though as he''s more of a left sided midfielder than a winger.

He doesn''t have a niche. Good all rounder but won''t be able to hold down a position.

Not enough strength in the tackle to be a ball winning midfielder (Johnson)

Not a good enough passer to be the playmaker (Fox)

Not quick enough to play out wide (Pilkington)

Could have a shout as a cultured fullback if Tierney gets injured I guess.

Good squad player though, if someone is out for a week or two he can slot in but won''t be beating players but won''t cause any harm either

[quote user="I am a Banana"]I''ve never rated him. He came here with a reputation and never cut it even in the championship for me. Can pass a ball but do little else. Wouldn''t be a shock to seem him out in jan![/quote]I agree with this, for me he has never come close to repaying his reported price tag, too lightweight and his work rate back isn''t good enough for someone who doesn''t offer much of a threat as a direct wide player. Doesn''t work hard enough for the Wes role either in my opinion

His passing is great and he has a lovely touch, however he''s not quick enough to play on the wing in our system. If he can work on his defensive skills then he might make a good backup for Fox.

He''s also probably the closest thing we have to backup for Wes at the moment.

He has good vision, however in the games he has played this season, his passing has actually been the weak point. A couple times he''s shown what he has capable of and combined to set someone loose, but he''s also given the ball away a ridiculous amount, as much as to be a liability. Not sure why, cos he''s better than that

I don''t think he has the right attributes to sit at left midfield in this league, but I do think he''s got potential to play in a very similar role to Fox, he''s just not quite as good as Fox unfortunately.

For me he his return from injury was the catalyst for our run at the end of last season. As others have suggested he''s not quick enough to be a winger and not strong enough to play in a 2 man midfield. However in a 3 man midfield he definitely has the attributes to be a success at this level.

He just seems half a yard off to me, wheather it''s his pace, strength or work rate. Reminds me of myself when i haven''t played in a while. I know what i want to do, i just don''t have the legs.

On his day, he''s a good solid player for us, i thought he was good vs Wigan

I think it''s closing down space and pressing the oposition when we haven''t got the ball which lets him down. Everyone has been fantastic at doing that this season so Lambert obviously want that in his team. I''d be surprised to see him go in January though, he''s got enough to offer to be part of the squad.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]When/if he gets a run of games, well find out if he can cut it.[/quote]the same run of games he got with Wolves, Southampton and the start of the season with us in the premiership you mean?

Why does there have to be this constant picking on players who are not in the starting 11? We have a squad of 25 and they, hopefully, will all have some part to play during the season. Only 11 can start each match. You may as well say "why can''t Crofts cut it in the Prem?" or "why can''t Holt cut it in the Prem?" or "why can''t Jackson cut it in the Prem?". Ridiculous in my opinion.

[quote user="Webbo118"]Why does there have to be this constant picking on players who are not in the starting 11? We have a squad of 25 and they, hopefully, will all have some part to play during the season. Only 11 can start each match. You may as well say "why can''t Crofts cut it in the Prem?" or "why can''t Holt cut it in the Prem?" or "why can''t Jackson cut it in the Prem?". Ridiculous in my opinion.[/quote]

Dont worry Webbo - if we do hit a losing streak you can be sure that the other side of the coin will start to appear,  all those not playing are THE solution!   Holt is far better than morison,  Plkington should be dropped for surman,  surely crofts should solve the midfield problem,  why ever did PL think Martin was better at CB than DeLaet...

[quote user="Webbo118"]Why does there have to be this constant picking on players who are not in the starting 11? We have a squad of 25 and they, hopefully, will all have some part to play during the season. Only 11 can start each match. You may as well say "why can''t Crofts cut it in the Prem?" or "why can''t Holt cut it in the Prem?" or "why can''t Jackson cut it in the Prem?". Ridiculous in my opinion.[/quote]

Dont worry Webbo - if we do hit a losing streak you can be sure that the other side of the coin will start to appear,  all those not playing are THE solution!   Holt is far better than morison,  Plkington should be dropped for surman,  surely crofts should solve the midfield problem,  why ever did PL think Martin was better at CB than DeLaet...

[quote user="Webbo118"]You may as well say "why can''t Crofts cut it in the Prem?" or "why can''t Holt cut it in the Prem?" or "why can''t Jackson cut it in the Prem?". Ridiculous in my opinion.[/quote]You''ve totally missed the point that Surman has found himself in exactly the same situation before, the names you suggested haven''t.Therefore, your counter argument immediately falls apart. Better luck next time kid.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]Yeh good debates tend to involve a balanced comparison of positive and negative points, as demonstrated in this very thread.If the merest hint of a negative puts you on the defensive then you are weak as piss son.

Like Holt, he isn''t up to scratch yet. But I''d expect them to play their part, it''s a long season.

In the system we are playing at the moment he would only really be able to play in the role which Wes occupies at the moment. He could play where Pilkington does at a push but his lack of pace would be an issue as you need players who can get up to support Morison quickly. So I don''t think it is a case of him not being able to cut it in the Premier League but more a case of him being kept out of the side by a better player. He''s a decent player to bring on if you want to keep the ball and ease a bit of pressure and he''s never really let us down.

Gotta love the following comment from Nana. A footballer whose main strength is passing the ball? How terribly un-English. Get me someone who shows some passion [8o|][8o|][8o|][;)]

[quote user="I am a Banana"] Can pass a ball but do little else.[/quote]

I saw him play at Watford last season on a very heavy pitch and he was so bad that some fans were calling for him to be taken off. He just seemed to totally lack energy and on one obvious occasion failed to track back allowing them to score. I would not want to rely on him for 90 minutes in the Prem where physical effort is so important.

When crooks 1st joined us,after a season he was dropped and the pinkun soap box was saying almost identical comments to these! "all he can do is pass" "never helps in defence" etc yet within 3 seasons he became a cult hero...Giving a run in the team(when needed), we maybe singing a different tune!

I wouldnt say he cant cut it in the prem... its just that so far more favourable players are ahead of him...

I would be suprised if he is sold and think that he will be valuable should we dare I say it need him through injury etc.

Agree with CWT, same with most of the squad in my opinion.

There is really too much writing off players who have not had a chance or a run in the team to prove whether they can do it or not at this level.

What is it - "buy another player, he''s bound to be better" syndrome? It doesn''t always work.

These players are not at Norwich for nothing, have given good service and still have good ability.

Give Surman a chance - remember the goals he has scored and created particularly last season - a cultured and intelligent footballer.

LDC - You added all of the other points I was thinking but couldnt be bothered to write!! I dont really agree with these post ''who would you like to see in January''. Anyone would think we are majorly struggling. Lets at present be happy with what we have got - anyone else that Lambert and co bring in is a bonus imo.

[quote user="curly_whirly_tipz"]LDC - You added all of the other points I was thinking but couldnt be bothered to write!! I dont really agree with these post ''who would you like to see in January''. Anyone would think we are majorly struggling. Lets at present be happy with what we have got - anyone else that Lambert and co bring in is a bonus imo.[/quote]

Why? Don''t you want to see one or two come in to give the lads a helping hand? I''m sure Lambert does.

Lambert''s strategy since he''s been here is all about continuous improvement once the resources are available. Think about it.

What he will not allow (and backed by Bowkett and Mcnally) are stagnation, inappropriate sentiment and self-satisfaction. Once he senses that, by whatever strategy, further improvement is not possible he''ll be off - and rightly so. Football at the top levels is a cut-throat business.

OTBC