Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Norwich favourites to land Phil McGuire

CANARIES IN FOR MCGUIRE

ANDREW MOIR

16:00 - 06 January 2005 

Norwich City have emerged as the surprise favourites to land Dons defender Phil McGuire.

Pittodrie boss Jimmy Calderwood told the 24-year-old last month that his contract, which expires in the summer, will not be renewed.

McGuire has already watched a prospective move to English Coca-Cola Championship side QPR collapse after Aberdeen insisted on a transfer fee.

But now Premiership strugglers Norwich are ready to lure him south to a league packed full of international stars.

McGuire''s agent John Viola today said: "Phil has come back into the Aberdeen team over the last few matches and has done really well.

"A few clubs have been to watch him recently and we are hopeful of getting something sorted out.

"All I know with regards to Norwich City is that they have asked for some details about Phil."

Source: This is North Scotland

Golly

I will give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment as i know precisely nothing about him. It did say that Norwich had only asked for details.

The mind boggles......

Following posted by a fan north of the border on Livilions.co.uk

"He can play Right back or Centre back. He is a good solid defender takes no chances at the back."

That tells us a little about him. However, you have to wander about a scottish player who hasn''t been capped by Scotland in this day and age AND wasn''t signed by QPR when they found out they would have to pay for him!

atleast were signing somone

maybe he can play centre all over the pitch...................

Dear reader,

It is true that we have been a touch weak at the rear of the team of the course of the season, it is my belief however that its not a right back we need, but a big, strong, command centre back. Very much in the mould of out once beloved Malcolm Mackay.

During the last 90 minutes of competitive footballing action, we saw Thomas Helveg really start to show his true colours and why he holds the Danish Captaincy. Mr. Edworthy has also performed admirably during our last 21 fixtures and deserves to play from this moment onwards. Like another poster has stated, why is he not in the Scotland Squad considering the country''s current predicament regarding crap football players. If he is however able to come in and play at centre half and help us stop conceding, I''m all for his signing. May he wear the Yellow and Green with pride.

Will write again soon.

Poodle-tip!

Aunty Bob Fleming

He must be from the C list, can''t believe Worthy would stoop that low for players. From what he has said I''m sure he would not spend on such a player.

When i heard that Aberdeen werent going to renew his contract, that said it all for me. If hes not good enough for Aberdeen hes not good enough for us. Shackell negates the need for a reserve centre half.

Christ almighty! When will people realize that every club enquires about players on a daily basis, it''s called scouting. Doesn''t mean they''re going to sign em