Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Madine & Rhodes worth a look in January?

Both possibly no better than what we have and in spite of them both playing in League One it would take several millions to get them, they are both quality players though.

We probably need someone with more proven top level experience in January but who and more importantly, could we afford them?  We''ll see come January where we sit in the table, but even if we look ok, we must not get too complacent and remember that it is the last chance to strengthen the squad for the season.

Rhodes is a real talent but also an ex binner.  The form hes in, i''d expect a fee of around 4 million or higher.  Dont know much about Madine, hes scored a fair few, but no idea what style of striker he is...

I think we need someone with real pace either with power or technical ability.

I am not saying the guys are not doing a good job but for the squad blend it would be good to have that option.

I mean real pace the kind that steals you games away from home.

Nicky Maynard?

I think really we have to splash in Jan a la Ashton as that could be the push to get us over the line in comfort.

Doubt we will look for a centre forward to be honest, we are only playing with one up top most games and have Holt, Wilbrahams, Martin, Jackson and Vaughan waiting in the wings. I think we will be back in for Snodgrass to play / cover for Wes, Pilkington and Bennett. Probably releasing Lappin of Surman from the squad.

"I think we will be back in for Snodgrass to play / cover for Wes, Pilkington and Bennett."

I think you''re right there, Europe_93. We have no winger to come in if either Piklington or Bennett gets injured.

We''re very well covered in defence (goalie apart), and the value of any half-decent strikers always rockets in January (Carroll, Mackail-Smith).

I would be delighted if we signed Snodgrass in January.

I believe he is not playing all that well this season, but even if that is the case, i''m sure Lambert could turn him around.

We have enough strikers, Morison and Holt already scoring, i''m sure Martin and Jackson will get goals if they get enough time on the pitch and if Vaughan actually manages to get fit and play a few games he will definatly be in the goals in my opinion.

So like already mentioned, the Wing is our weakest possession for cover, if we wanted to keep the same formation but losing Pilkington or Bennett, we would have to play either Surman or someone out of position (Jackson? Martin? Crofts? Holt? Hoolahan, with Martin in centre?) so a winger is probably top of Lambert''s shopping list, maybe he didn''t realise how much he would be using Bennett and Pilkington? I''m sure he would have at least kept Macnamee if he did....

[quote user="jed exodous"]

Rhodes is a real talent but also an ex binner.  The form hes in, i''d expect a fee of around 4 million or higher.  Dont know much about Madine, hes scored a fair few, but no idea what style of striker he is...

[/quote]

Nobody is going to pay £4m or more for Rhodes.

Well according to TWTD this morning the Binners are weighing up a move for Prestons 19 year old  6ft 2in frontman Jamie Proctor but he is supposedly also being watched by the Canaries .

Emnes has caught my eye since the end of last season, not sure if we would want to match their asking price! Snodgrass might be cheaper if he is off form and would offer some competition on the wings and also in the gap between the front 2. Cant help but feel that if we are still in the top 12 come january we may push the boat out to cement our place in the top flight, the finacial insentive of doing so may be enough to roll the dice!                                                                                                                            

zaha is a quality player but is being scouted by the top 4 clubs so you can forget that one. As is a lad at Derby who made his debut yesterday at the age of 15 (he only turned 15 in july), incredible.

Presuming were in a fairly safe position in January (9th-15th) I''d like us to just bring in one more really decent player with pace. If we stay up and wigan go down, moses would be the first player on my wishlist.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

"I think we will be back in for Snodgrass to play / cover for Wes, Pilkington and Bennett."

[/quote]

I suspect we may have to wait until next summer for Snodgrass and at that point he will only have a year left on his contract and Leeds may be sensible about the price (providing they dont get promoted).

As for Madine and Rhodes, I can''t see Sheff Wed. or Huddersfield prepared to sell either striker in the middle of a promotion push where the prize is an extra £5m per season and they have the resources to resist a big bid.