Sign in to follow this  
Carl Lake

Ashton

My brother cam up with this idea and its a gooden!!!

Y dont Norwich borrow the money for Ashton against Greeno then WHEN they stay up they can pay off the money but if they Go down they`ll have a top championship goalscorer to get them back up BUT they would have to sell greeno to pay for him!!!

By the way on the last post Jansen Great Buy!!!!!!!!!!1

How many banks or institutions will loan against an asset whose value half simply by getting relegated? That is what would happen to Greeno value (Robinson went for less than £2m despite a solid contract - slightly different financial background at Leeds but even so)

Secondly we slate the club for a lack of ambition but do we know that the can actually raise the extra £2-5m we all feel could make a difference? Do the owners have that cash sitting around, or more likely, are banks prepared to lend us it on a gamble bearing in mind we have a newly arranged £15m debt agreed? We can speculate on these but will never know the actual answer.

OTBC

I also dont think it would be much of a gamble to risk 3mill on Ashton, If we were to sign him i very very much doubt we would finnish bottom, but say we did go down 3rd from bottom, you get half a million for every place higher you finnish in the premiership, so if we finnished 3rd from bottom thats 1.5mill added to the supposed "1.2mill" thats 2.7mill, surely the board would gamble 300k plus another 200k max for wages or whatever, aswell as the fact that if we did go down, we would get revenues for Green and probably Francis?

I agree; to me its not much of a gamble but I am a gambling man and the risk of £3m striker against £25m income for the next year (7-1+ odds) look reasonable to me. However is that how the finance guys (not necessarily doomcaster etc at the club but the banks etc) see it when it comes to letting us have some cash. Their view, just as reasonably, could be that one player will not necessarily convert us into a winning team who will avoid relegation. Ashton is totally unproven at this level and could as easily be another Rob Hulse; moves in a multi million pound deal but forgets how to score.OTBC

Although I agree Zipper that we cannot assume we can raise the money.  Doncaster said back in December the club will make millions of profit by the end the year.  Would you not be a bit annoyed if at the end of the year we spent little now, got relegated and announced a £3m profit at the end of the year.

Looks like the question about ambition has just been answered - and the money men somewhere agree about our chances.

The question is will Ashton outscore the leaky defence?

OTBC