Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Twist Or Stick?

Twist or stick? That is the question Rick Waghorn is asking in his current column. If he attempts to feign neutrality on his view, he clearly runs out of patience with that position by the time he reaches his final paragraph, stating that Norwich choosing to "stick" will cause Rupert Lowe and Simon Jordan to breathe a huge sigh of relief. If Waghorn’s numbers are accurate ( and I have no reason to doubt them ) then there is a 40 million pound benefit by staying in the Premiership vs Championship for the next couple of seasons. Therefore, his question invites us to agree, twist by spending 3 or 4 million pounds to give us a chance of nabbing the 40 million. "Is it a reasonable gamble?" he seems to say, leading us readers by the nose. My response, no, it’s not a gamble at all. I have no doubt that sensible people and Norwich City management have already long since reached that conclusion. They already were prepared to spend X anyway, so it’s only the incremental amount that is in question, thereby making it a no-brainer. They are actively engaged in trying to acquire the right sort of player(s) who will give us the best opportunity in the game, whether we are playing at this table or the one in the lower echelon. Of course Rick, you have to write a column. After all, it’s your job. What would have been really interesting in your "twist or stick?" analogy is if you had commented on how much we should be prepared to gamble before "bust" had dire consequences.

they should def get out the money to get some quality players. if we go down with a budget then nobody will be happy. if stay up having borrowed a few million fans would be over the moon and the money would be paid back in many ways

I''m sorry YC but I think the twist scenario is very much worth a gamble.  If we were to buy a player of some potential, for arguements sake Ashton, he would cost what, £3M?  Worse case scenario that follows this- We go straight down.  In the summer we could sell Ashton for at least £2M and Green would leave for £3M anyway.  You do the maths.  This would not cripple us financially.  Not in anyway 

There could be the very real scenario though that if we gambled, we stayed up.  Thus raking in the sky cash etc etc.  I know what I''d do

Realize that my input was a little confusing DD. When I say "no", I mean "no, it is not a gamble to spend that much", as long as the player(s) we are seeking fit in whether we stay up or go down. The latter point is important because there are no guarantees, and we have to continue to build for the future, regardless of where we reside.

Totally agree DDiM. Spending £3 million on Ashton will not cripple us. The sales would cover it. Also, who says we have just £1.2 million to spend? managers say things like that all the time to get the prices down on players, dont they?

never is a bit drastic dont you think.

I have confidence that Nigel will twist and that the public exhortations are part of his tactics to get a good deal. It all happened in a similar way with Hux- we can''t afford him, we won''t bankrupt this club. then he pops up on Boxing Day and we all have a fantastic 6 months. The Board know exactly how much is at stake, they know its as close as promotion was last year and I am sure they are working feverishly to prevent another possible 9 year stint of mediocrity. It only the 6th of Jan for goodness sake. And just why would Spurs want Ashton with Defoe and Keane there?- maybe a bit of "revenge" publicity from Crewe to get the price up after Nige said he''s too expensive?????????

Its hardly a gamble.

We''ve got collateral in Green.

And any reasonable player purchased now can be resold if the worst should happen. Hell, they may even appreciate in value.

That means the worst case scenario would only be some loss on wages - may only be the difference between a quality player and an average players take.

All compensated for by selling off Green and reselling the new player(s).

Why are we dithering??

£3M on one player could be a gamble if they don''t perform or get injured, but as most have said, £3M is a recoverable loss.

The point is £5M on one player?  That is a bigger gamble and one that could still result in us going down with a £5M debt.  I would rather go down with no debt than that.

Also those that think a goal keeper residing at an in debt, relegated team, with the second worst (currently) goals conceded tally is going to fetch a cool £4M or more must be joking right?

I agree Mr. Twigge ( your image suggests you should be called Mr. Twigge ) that, at face value to spend 3 or 4 million on quality is not a gamble and so, at face value, we should not be dithering and that''s my position. I also believe that is the position of NCFC and that they are pursuing their targets. The devil, of course, is in the details. For example, if we acquire Dean Ashton or someone of similar quality/potential, what is the position of such a player ( or player''s agent ) with respect to opt out contract clauses, or wage level maintainence etc should we be relegated. This is what can cause dithering. In this life everyone, understandably, is looking out for their own interest. Of course, I am sure many teams in past years have played this game a number of different ways. I personally hope that Norwich does not sign people that they will be obligated to sell off if survival is not achieved. That would just make the return to the Premiership that much tougher. As I said previously, we need acquisitions, but they have to be the kind that will stay with us no matter what our fate this season. At least, that''s my preference.

I''m convinced the Ashton deal all hinges on the release clause if we get relegated. He/his agent  want it, we/the club don''t. This will take some sorting, but I really hope that this is what Worthy means when he talks about "too expensive", and also "people working hard".

Fingers crossed an still 3 weeks of speculation/conclusion reaching to go!

[quote]I agree Mr. Twigge ( your image suggests you should be called Mr. Twigge ) that, at face value to spend 3 or 4 million on quality is not a gamble and so, at face value, we should not be dithering and ...[/quote]

His avatar actually suggests he should be called Pablo Twigge, or Ayrton Picasso...

"Prudence with Ambition"

For me it''s far more ambitious and a hell of a lot more prudent to stay in the Premier League.

As someone pointed it very much the same situation as last and that''s true as far as I am concerned.  Basically all we have to do is finish fourth from bottom.  That puts us a "mini" league of four teams within the Premier League, we currently lie in second place just two points behind the leaders.  It''s well worth the risk to "twist" in the situation to win our mini-league, the same as it was worth signing Hux last year.

Also I would be livid if we spend very little in January and as projected by Doncaster we make millions of profit at the end of year.  That would suggest to me that the major shareholders were more interested in a dividend payout than the football club.

I just hope Tumbleweed is right and the club are just holding their cards close to their chest.

[quote]getting relegated is a gamble. We might never get back.[/quote]

entirely agree with you charlie''s dad

but then you and me don''t have doomcaster''s mindset do we

for god''s sake i can''t take another nine years!!!

[quote]Twist or stick? That is the question Rick Waghorn is asking in his current column. If he attempts to feign neutrality on his view, he clearly runs out of patience with that position by the time he rea...[/quote]

Think thats a TWIST then my friend Yankee.