Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Who would you like to see in January?

So no central defenders then??

Considering we have had serious injury problems there, we haven''t kept a clean sheet yet and we are currently using a right back as cover (don''t get me wrong Martin has done a great job, and I know he has played there before!)

What would a Scott Dann or Steven Taylor cost?

Or if we are looking lower leagues what about Matt Mills was great at Reading last season, captain at Leicester now

Sell Whitbread whilst we''re at it.

[quote user="Jonnyboy"]So no central defenders then?? Considering we have had serious injury problems there, we haven''t kept a clean sheet yet and we are currently using a right back as cover (don''t get me wrong Martin has done a great job, and I know he has played there before!) What would a Scott Dann or Steven Taylor cost? Or if we are looking lower leagues what about Matt Mills was great at Reading last season, captain at Leicester now Sell Whitbread whilst we''re at it.[/quote]

Agree with the ened for a central defender but Scott Dann? Really? He moved to Blackburn for £5m in the summer. Steven Taylor is having a great season so far (scrath the spurs game last weekend from your memory, and maybe Arsenal match) how would you prise such a player away from Newcastle? So I''m guessing a Dann or Taylor would be in the region of £8m.

Where as Mills cost Leicester £5.5m in the summer.

All those players I believe are out of our price range. I''d look at maybe someone like Liam Ridgewell at Birmingham. Think he would cost less, has experience and at 27 Lambert could sell it that he has the chance to really make a name for himself and push on.

[quote user="Shyster"]Hey, chaps...

Leave it to Lambo - ''reckon he''s proved he''s got a good eye for a player.
[/quote]

Meanwhile we could go and see Bowie[H]

[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Shyster"]Hey, chaps...Leave it to Lambo - ''reckon he''s proved he''s got a good eye for a player.[/quote]

[;)]

[/quote]

Think we''ve seen the last of ol'' Bowie, Nigel [:(] Hasn''t released anything since 2003 when he also toured and had the heart attack in Germany.Seems to be happy with spending all his time with his missus and young daughter -- good on ''im [img]http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

Mind you, you''d think he''d find time to pick up a guitar from time to time the idle tosspot [:@]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Shyster"]Hey, chaps...

Leave it to Lambo - ''reckon he''s proved he''s got a good eye for a player.
[/quote]

[;)]

[/quote]

Think we''ve seen the last of ol'' Bowie, Nigel [:(] Hasn''t released anything since 2003 when he also toured and had the heart attack in Germany.

Seems to be happy with spending all his time with his missus and young daughter -- good on ''im [img]http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

Mind you, you''d think he''d find time to pick up a guitar from time to time the idle tosspot [:@]
[/quote]

Shame. But the old boy has earnt his retirement and the music''s here forever.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Shyster"]Hey, chaps...Leave it to Lambo - ''reckon he''s proved he''s got a good eye for a player.[/quote]

[;)]

[/quote]

Think we''ve seen the last of ol'' Bowie, Nigel [:(] Hasn''t released anything since 2003 when he also toured and had the heart attack in Germany.Seems to be happy with spending all his time with his missus and young daughter -- good on ''im [img]http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

Mind you, you''d think he''d find time to pick up a guitar from time to time the idle tosspot [:@][/quote]

Shame. But the old boy has earnt his retirement and the music''s here forever.

[/quote]

True enough.

[img]http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/150248_453297064606_217526249606_5644795_8120950_a.jpg[/img]

I don''t think we need another CB. Martin for me is now first choice even when the others come back. Barnett has improved greatly over the last few games. Whitbread is still a classy player and should be fit soon and it can''t be too long before Ward is back can it? On top of that we have Ayala who will basically be a new signing when fit. I think we''re covered there for the season. We''ve been unlucky not to keep clean sheets on a couple of occassions and generally look pretty solid defensively.

As for Zaha, he looks a good prospect, but as you say Palace have no need to see so he will cost quite a lot. Sordell is probably a better bet for a simialr player and has a better goal scoring record over the last couple of seasons. In addition to that Watford are flat broke and we should be able to pick him up fairly cheaply.

I can see Lambert looking for 3 players to improve the squad. Not sure how it works with the 25 player squads but presumably he will have to let 3 players go out of it. Anyway, I remember it being said in the summer that Rudd would go out on loan for half the season, not sure how much truth was in that but I think it would benefit him so can see us going for a keeper (who would depend on his view, but Almunia (loan), Lewis).

I can see us being in for Snodgrass again, I thought he was in his final year of his contract, and with the way we are set up now he could play / cover for Pilkington, Bennett or Hoolihan.

Finally, I think he will look for a centre half. As excellent and improved as Barnett & Martin have been, Lambert will look in the long term to have ball playing centre halves. Maybe Ayala will be one of them, that remains to be seen, may be Whitbread / Ward will get a chance to prove themselves but I can see Lambert strengthening here. The names I put forward are Cohen (Forest), Gerrard & Darcy-Blake of Cardiff. The ;ast 2 aren''t regulars in Cardiff''s team but Gerrard was on loan at Hull last year and their player of the year, Darcy Blake is in the Welsh 1st 11.

I''d like to see us sign a back-up winger as it is inevitable that we will lose Pilkington or Bennet at some stage this season. Playing wingers has brought out the best in the side in the last few games and just losing one of them would be hugely detrimental to our performances IMO. We simply do not have adequate pacey back-up.

We know any player from the championship will have a highly inflated price in january. I think there are gaps, but I also think we have positions covered for this season. Next season, depending what league we are in, will be different.

Centre half we have enough for now, in the summer I would have liked experience but maybe now in the summer.

Full backs are covered.

Goalkeeper, possibly a third choice old hand.

Wingers, yes we are short on this position. But with Hoolahoops, martin, surman and lappin we have players who have played in wide positions. Yes no pace but systems can be manipulated.

Centre forwards, I think Vaughan will be like that new signing in January, but I do think there may be space for that striker. Be interested to see how Dave Kitson is doing at Pompey, sure his value would not be really high. Its the only name I can think of who would not be priced at 4million plus.

I can def. see why going to europe is an option. But maybe not now. I still like Lansbury and Pacheco in the Summer, but this january I think a striker and goalkeeper may be needed.

[quote user="paul moy"]I''d like to see us sign a back-up winger as it is inevitable that we will lose Pilkington or Bennet at some stage this season. Playing wingers has brought out the best in the side in the last few games and just losing one of them would be hugely detrimental to our performances IMO. We simply do not have adequate pacey back-up.[/quote]

I agree with this, even in the game against WBA when Pilkington couldn''t play you could see we missed have the ability to stretch their defense across the entire pitch.

I wonder if Jackson could do a job on the wing as he certainly has the pace and work rate.

I would not trust jackson out there on the wing, unless his role was just to take them on and then cut in towards goal. Crossing no way.

To be honest I think Hoolahan proved his worth to the squad when he played wide left when we chased the game against wba. So I can see Hoolahoops there and with the changes due to players out and hence personnel then I would expect tierney to push on.

I feel in the last game or two tierney and naughton have been holding back a little more.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="paul moy"]I''d like to see us sign a back-up winger as it is inevitable that we will lose Pilkington or Bennet at some stage this season. Playing wingers has brought out the best in the side in the last few games and just losing one of them would be hugely detrimental to our performances IMO. We simply do not have adequate pacey back-up.[/quote]

I agree with this, even in the game against WBA when Pilkington couldn''t play you could see we missed have the ability to stretch their defense across the entire pitch.

I wonder if Jackson could do a job on the wing as he certainly has the pace and work rate.

[/quote]

I thought about this but IMO Jackson is poor at going past defenders in comparison to Bennet and Pilkington. I''m sure there is somebody lurking in the lower leagues that can do a much better job than Jackson on the wing, and Lambert has already proven his ability at finding them.

As Wilhbraham, I don''t see Jackson in the starting line up when everyone is fit. In fact even with Vaughan out he still appears to be overlooked.

Not too sure he is up to this level, I never really rated his pace and he certainly doesn''t run past too many defenders, not at this level.

He did a job last season and got us here, as Wilbraham, to stay in this league we need Holt and Morison to stay fit, to push on we need better than Jackson.

how do you know we need better than jackson. He won us promotion with his goals at the end of last season and i think he''s only come on as a sub once this season.

Because he''s not good enough for the premiership.

Better strikers than Jackson have been found wanting at this level.

So I''ll stand by my opinion.

Don''t know how you can write off Jackson before he''s even had a good chance to show what he can do.

Most people wrote him off last season but he ended up being one of the main reasons we got promotion.

Give hiom a chance!!

No Jackson wasn''t the main reason we got promoted, he was god damn awful for the first 6 month''s, no pace no movement and no better than porky Jamie Cureton.

That Scunthorpe game made him, it gave him a belief which helped him and full credit , he played well there after to contribute in promotion, he did his bit, but to say he was a main reason is too far fetched.

It''s OK to say that a player hasn''t been given his chance but the same can be said of Lappin, should we drop Pilkington to give Lappin his chance?

To move forward we need to improve the squad, we have improved the squad and Jackson was brought in the three year plan to get us promoted into the premiership, to stay here we need better.

Just my opinion.

You''ve got no idea how Jackson or Lappin might do given their chance. It''s a bit negative to write them off before they have even had a chance to have a go.

Lappin may well do a good job if he comes in because of an injury or some such. These players are not at Norwich for nothing and should be given the respect they deserve.

At the end of the day Jackson was crucial to our end of season run.

I don''t understand why some people run down players who have given good service to the club, still have ability and are just waiting for their chance.

If they weren''t up to the job, they wouldn''t be here.

Definately would like to see a backup winger, we have no depth there and we are playing our only two at the moment. If were to have an injury it would mean we wouldn''t really be able to play our current (successful) formation as effectively. Otherwise I''m content with the squad at the moment.

Who''s running anyone down, he''s not that good, if he was he would have started every game, Lambert has that say.

I don''t buy into this well he did a job for us last season, it''s all about taking your chance and so far Jackson isn''t t doing enough in training or reserve matches to impress the coaching staff, therefore not good enough to oust Morison, Holt or Vaghan.

So by that judgement I would say to improve we need better strikers that Morison, Holt and Vaghuan which isn''t a go at players who just don''t have that level of skill.

I love Holt, his effort is there to see, Morison puts in a fantastic shift, but that is something you cannot level at Jackson last season.

Hey I would love to be proven wrong but my money is that Jackson won''t score a single league goal this season.

If we are going to try and buy a midfielder in January I''d rather we went for someone like Butterfield at Barnsley. I''m also quite surprised to see Matt Phillips who played well for the majority of last season in the Prem with Blackpool on loan at Sheff Utd (Scored 2 of their goals yesterday). All depends on how much money Lambert''s been given.

Lappin was too slow for the Championship let alone the Premier League. As for Jackson, he seems to be a learner and it took him 6 months to learn about the Championship and it might take him 6 months to learn about the Premier League. On that basis I would expect him to shine in the latter part of the season.

I''m with Indy on this one regarding jackson.

We have Holt, Morison, Vaughan, Martin, Wilby and Jackson.

Next summer or possibly January we will bring in another forward, if we are in the prem. then he will have better attributes than jacko and hence he goes further down the pecking order.

I like the way he talks, but afraid having to wait 6 months to have any impact and then now very quiet and not shining in our reserves is not leaving a good impression.

Wilby''s contract finishes this summer and martin who knows. Guess it all depends what league we are in. But in January I would expect us to get players who will give us a lift and hence playing in our first team.

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]Lappin was too slow for the Championship let alone the Premier League. As for Jackson, he seems to be a learner and it took him 6 months to learn about the Championship and it might take him 6 months to learn about the Premier League. On that basis I would expect him to shine in the latter part of the season.[/quote]

This is pretty much how I see it. I wouldn''t write off Jackson yet. He may well have a big part to play later this season like he did last. As for Lappin I doubt he will have a big part to play but he may have a part to play. Who knows what injuries and suspensions have in store for us this season. What sets Lambert apart is how he seems to be able to have all his squad content and ready to play their part when or if they''re needed.

a couple of players i have had my eye on:

david templeton : hearts - winger

brek shea :dallas - usa international striker - meant to be the next big thing

nolan roux : stade breste -striker - fantastic finisher

thomas rogne : celtic - young norway international centre back

hoillett : blackburn - contract runs out in the summer could get him on the cheap.

and just wondering, if pilkington keeps up his impressive form, what would your view be on selling him? just saying Andy Carroll looked good at the start of the premier league then in January when he was injured, managed to get sold for £35 million, if a bid like that came in would u sell? that amount of money would change our club because we could either bring in a few top quality players with it or pay off our debt and build a new stand .

thoughts?

Sure bring in players from outside the premiership, but how long would it take for them to settle and adapt? Adapting to a new club, adapting to a new league can take time .New signings are not always the best idea and can unsettle a team.

Bring in a player in January if we have to to cover any injuries. But defenders? We''ve got plenty of good ones. Midfielders? We''ve got plenty of good ones. Attackers? We''ve got plenty of good ones.

Norwich are successful for a reason - the players.

Give the ones we''ve got a chance to show us what they can do.

Some of you are just too good at writing players off.

Oh, and do me a favour, we''ve only just got Pilks, lets see the best he has to give us before talking about selling him on................