Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Who would you like to see in January?

In order to give the other lads a hand - and thus raise the general quality and depth of the squad for the run-in.

It''s about 2 months in with 2 to go before January, so Paul Lambert and company ought to be in the process of finalizing their targets being as how they prefer to put these things to bed sooner rather than later.

Me? (a) Lewis McGugan plus (b) a fast, strong nippy forward (on loan perhaps) plus (c) a solid, experienced backup keeper would be good priorities I think.

What say you?

OTBC

This Lewis mcgugan is only on people''s wants because of his free kick vs Ipswich (yes it was superb but don''t judge a player by 1 single goal)!!!

I''d like to see James Vaughan injury free as this is what we need a quick striker who is prem quality and knows where the net is. I believe that this is Vaughan but he just needs to stay fit.

I''d love to get Kyle naught on here on a perm basis. Can''t see us paying the 5m+ that spurs will want unless that get Cahill and don''t sell?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]This Lewis mcgugan is only on people''s wants because of his free kick vs Ipswich (yes it was superb but don''t judge a player by 1 single goal)!!! I''d like to see James Vaughan injury free as this is what we need a quick striker who is prem quality and knows where the net is. I believe that this is Vaughan but he just needs to stay fit. I''d love to get Kyle naught on here on a perm basis. Can''t see us paying the 5m+ that spurs will want unless that get Cahill and don''t sell?[/quote]

Not so.

McGugan was, for example, on The Guardian''s list of the best 20 players outside the Prem in 2009.

And anybody who saw him play against us for Forest last season will understand why he is so highly rated by many.

OTBC

OTBC

I wonder if we will go back in with a cheeky bid for Snodgrass, i have no idea how his season has gone thus far. I don''t think a striker is that essential, not with the formation we play, instead another Wessi type player would be huge, as will Vaughan coming back from injury

Snodgrass is having a pretty good season. Think I saw a tweet from OPTA saying he had the most assists in the Championship. Doubt he''ll have got any cheaper.

I''d like to see Marvin Sordell and some competition for Wes. Oh and buying Naughton would be nice.

Buy Chris Woods from WBA, currently onloan at Birmingham, young and big striker. Not sure what the rules are on buying loan players.

Appart from that not really bothered, we have a pretty good squad and if we keep everyone why do we need to add?

[quote user="Indy"]Buy Chris Woods from WBA, currently onloan at Birmingham, young and big striker. Not sure what the rules are on buying loan players. Appart from that not really bothered, we have a pretty good squad and if we keep everyone why do we need to add?[/quote]

If Woods is on a season loan we have no chance of getting him, But I would most of all like to see Naughton sign for us and love to see Vaughan back injury free. apart from that I don''t know, Perhaps PL has his eyes on someone, If he is, Then the club has to get them for him and give us a good fighting chance, we all remember the dark days only to well

Gary Hooper from Celtic - Probably cost too much, but he looks superb!

Just need someone to put away those chances.

I would like to see us sell Wilbraham and Surman, send Chris Martin out on loan. This will free up some cash and wages for starters.

With that done I would buy McGugan and a big centre forward who is a hybrid of Morison and Holt i.e. Morison''s pace and anticipation, Holts craft and composure in front of goal. Who that person is I am not sure. I have a funny feeling someone link Bentdner would do a job for us as we creat a lot of opportunities and he must come good at some point. I think once he bags a couple he will fly. Admittidly there is not a lot of evidence to back this hunch up though. He scores all the time for Denmark so it''s got to click one day. I am sure Sunderland will want to freshen things up in January and we might be able to buy him off Arsenal at that point.

Good call on Bentdner, A big fish in a smaller pond would do him wonders as he''s all about confidence.

I think thats why Huckerby settled so well here.

I too would like to see this, don''t how it would affect the changing room though.

A good striker! We would really have to pay for a good one who is able to score freely from distance. At the moment most of our goals are from close in, and when not from set pieces seem to require further ball movement, once we reach the opposing penalty area.

I have no-one in mind, but our need is pressing, and I think that we need someone with a proven record rather than someone young, lean and hungry.

We would have to "break the bank", - if Swanses paid the asked £8m for Graham, we would have to pay perhaps 50% more.

I can''t see this happening, but we really need a striker, in case Morison is injured or suspended. (There is always the possibility that Vaughan may not play again.) I think that the club will buy a cheaper one and risk things.

We have cover for virtually ever other position, so unless McGugan is out of contract in 2012, I would wait until the summer for him or any Bosmans.

I really like Emnes who did well for Swansea and Middlesborough last season. He is pacy and has a good eye for goal. He is very skilful and a good team player. Plus, I think we could really make him a better player with our coaching.

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]I would like to see us sell Wilbraham and Surman, send Chris Martin out on loan. This will free up some cash and wages for starters. With that done I would buy McGugan and a big centre forward who is a hybrid of Morison and Holt i.e. Morison''s pace and anticipation, Holts craft and composure in front of goal. Who that person is I am not sure. I have a funny feeling someone link Bentdner would do a job for us as we creat a lot of opportunities and he must come good at some point. I think once he bags a couple he will fly. Admittidly there is not a lot of evidence to back this hunch up though. He scores all the time for Denmark so it''s got to click one day. I am sure Sunderland will want to freshen things up in January and we might be able to buy him off Arsenal at that point.[/quote]

Unfortunately Bentdner''s £52k a week wages would make it rather a hard deal to arrange - that and his season long loan to Sunderland.

Is is allowed to mention someone you''ve never seen play?! Rodriguez of Burnley. Sounds a class act as a goalscorer. Young and hungry. A foil for Morison/Holt. Under contract, and would - I guess - cost a few million. But wages would not be a problem. And Burnley - given the season they are having so far - might be tempted to sell.

Nobody. I would like to see the present squad reach its potential this season. A new face or two means a settling in period.

There is an argument for keeping a settled squad, allowing the teamwork to develop.

Like Morrison, Vaughn, it takes time to mix and settle in with a new club.

Lets go with what we''ve got for the rest of this season!! They''re not doing too badly!!

[quote user="Salopian"]

We would have to "break the bank", - if Swanses paid the asked £8m for Graham, we would have to pay perhaps 50% more.

[/quote]

Seriously? They paid £8m for him? I read it was in the region of £3.5. You are right, though. I can''t see the club paying the multiple millions required for a ''proven'' Premier League striker. I reckon there are some long-range goals coming for us. Bennett and Pilks have scored a few of those in their time and did Johnson not score a 30 yarder in pre-season? He''s had a couple of goes on-target this season too (just didn''t beat the goalies). The team are still gelling at the moment and have started scoring more goals in recent games. It''s all about confidence and that seems to be growing with every passing game.

I really don''t know who I would like to see come in in January. I think a lot will depend on injuries and performances between now and then.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Is is allowed to mention someone you''ve never seen play?! Rodriguez of Burnley. Sounds a class act as a goalscorer. Young and hungry. A foil for Morison/Holt. Under contract, and would - I guess - cost a few million. But wages would not be a problem. And Burnley - given the season they are having so far - might be tempted to sell.[/quote]

I''d take a punt at him, always looks dangerous and growing in stature, still young but bags of potential, if we could get him for £3m or less we''d have a great deal. He can also operate in the channels and in various formations, which will help blood him into the team.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Is is allowed to mention someone you''ve never seen play?! Rodriguez of Burnley. Sounds a class act as a goalscorer. Young and hungry. A foil for Morison/Holt. Under contract, and would - I guess - cost a few million. But wages would not be a problem. And Burnley - given the season they are having so far - might be tempted to sell.[/quote] I''d take a punt at him, always looks dangerous and growing in stature, still young but bags of potential, if we could get him for £3m or less we''d have a great deal. He can also operate in the channels and in various formations, which will help blood him into the team.[/quote]

Thank you, Jimmy. that was my impression of him, that he was a pretty mobile and adaptable player. Of course we MIGHT have Vaughan back, but even so. I suspect it would easily have to be £3m, plus add-ons. And who knows how much we will have to spend come January.

For an Ashton type purchase (ie. striker from the lower leagues, young yet clever, clinical finisher yet dynamic, strong yet agile), my view is that these would make the best buys :Ashley Barnes (21) - 27 Goals in the 37 starts for Brighton last season. Tall and strong, and has 5 goals in 10 starts already this season in the Championship. Been suggesting we should buy him for the past two years now; unlikely it will happen, but would be an extremely astute purchase. 6''0Gary Madine (21) - 11 Goals in 13 starts for Sheffield Wednesday so far this season. Very talented player, and recent and unsurpising winner of the Football Leagues Young Player of the Month trophy. Again, i had hoped we''d buy him a long while ago while he was at Carlisle, but with some proper development under his belt, for a less modest price, he''d still be worth it. 6''3Chris Wood (19) - Scorer of 8 goals in 9 starts for Birmingham in the Championship. Although a West Brom player, he''s more familiar with life outside the Premier League, having spent time at Brighton, and Barnsley. 6''3Lukas Jutkiewicz (22) - 5 Goals in 12 starts, and has been the focal point for Coventry for the past year. Talent that is now starting to be realised, now is as good a time as an to buy. 6''1

I honestly wouldnt want Bendtner at Carrow Road. Hand on heart I prefer having Morison up front. Much more suited to the way we play. I also don''t think Bendtner''s ego would be a good fit in the Norwich dressing room. When Steve Bruce got him on loan at Birmingham a few years ago, a club official is said to have congratulated him on signing for Birmingham. To which Bendtner replied "No, congratulations for signing me." In Lambert''s words I cant see him putting his shoulder to the wheel for us.

Gary Madine would be a signing that would excite me. Looks like a proper player who is physical and mobile. But he certainly wouldn''t come cheap. I think Sheffield Wednesday paid in the region of £800k for him. So they would be looking for at least £2 million for the guy I would imagine. Maynard must be available on a free soon. He would be a fantastic acquisition and could certainly play that loan role up front.

[quote user="Jacko"]

I honestly wouldnt want Bendtner at Carrow Road. Hand on heart I prefer having Morison up front. Much more suited to the way we play. I also don''t think Bendtner''s ego would be a good fit in the Norwich dressing room. When Steve Bruce got him on loan at Birmingham a few years ago, a club official is said to have congratulated him on signing for Birmingham. To which Bendtner replied "No, congratulations for signing me." In Lambert''s words I cant see him putting his shoulder to the wheel for us.

[/quote]

I worked at Arsenal for a while and met Bendtner on many occasions - he is, without doubt, my favourite person within football and we still keep contact occasionally. There are a lot of stories about his ego etc and although it is true he is supremely confident he has never had a problem at any club he has been at. Also on the pitch you will rarely find a harder working, more team minded player than Nic - I''d have him at the club in a flash. And trust me when I say his shoulder would be as hard against the wheel as any player in our current squad.

Lambert moves quickly and it wouldnt suprise me if we hadnt already got our signings arranged...look for players who dissapear from match day squads towards the end of December for clues?

That Wilfred Zaha looks a great prospect at Crystal Palace although I think it would take a big offer to prise him away as they have exceedingly rich owners now. Ricky Lambert is without doubt premiership class and reminds me of Dean Ashton but I think Holt is still a slightly superior player to Lambert. I like the look of that Rangers striker Jelavic (Spelling?) and as someone else has said Gary Hooper is a good player, Anthony Stokes has found form as well but the best acquisition from Scotland (in my opinion) would be Kris Commons who can play in that Hoolahan role but again that is unlikely.

I am a huge fan of our young keepers and aware that Lambert has a great deal of faith in Rudd. I think it may be worth looking for a third string older hand goalkeeper. Yes who wants to be third string? Well if you are out of contract at the mo you can certainly add something.

I worry if an injury came in for Ruddy then we would be down to the very bare bones.

I also would like a striker, not small and pacey. I would look at still a good size and pacey, a name not one at the moment.

But we will need that extra push in january for a very tough period coming up which will dictate what we do next summer.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]In regards to Rodriquez Southampton had a £5 million bid rejected for him so I doubt we would pay that. Over inflated.[/quote]

If that really would be the price (it might have been £xm plus add-ons making £5m or something close to it) then I agree we would be very unlikely to pay that in January. It might be a different matter next summer, with less time to run on his contract, if we stay up, and he is still available.