Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Player ratings

I totaly agree with this, I thought that Johnson was by far the best player on the pitch today. He broke up the play very well and made some good passes. The only thing that let him down was his free kicks.

Hmm mainly agree but I''d give Johnson and Wes a 7 and Holt a 6. Rudd probably deserves a 7.5, started shakey but the goal wasn''t his fault and the penalty save was really good.

Apart from the penalty and the elbow I thought the ref did ok, unfortunately those were the 2 huge mistakes and probably coat us a point so he gets a 2. Though that still makes him the best ref we''ve had all season.

MOTM Rudd

Please explain how Holt was better than Martin?

Rudd-7 Did what he had too do, think the goal was pretty much a De Laet mistake. Well saved penalty. Did look a bit dodgy on a couple of occasions but solid enough.

Tierney- 7.5 Definatly good enough for this league, gets well forward defends as well as Adam Drury used to, something i thought Tierney couldn''t do.

Naughton-6 I''m sure he''s got more to come, just seemed to be a bit average very predictable.

Barnett-6 For some reason doesn''t fill me with confidance, i suppose he did his job well enough, Long and Odemwingie are a handful for any CBs.

De Laet-1 Don''t care how well he played in the rest of the game, he lost the game for us. Even Andy Hughes knows how to head the ball back to the GK. He''s mean''t to be very good, and has shown that but people moan about WArd making mistakes last season, De Laet has made a very clear one today.

Surman-6 Tried to do some clever stuff, and at times did but just doesn''t look confidant enough and still a bit weak.

Bennett-6 Didn''t seem to get to do anything, played in link up play well enough, but he''s mean''t to be a winger, didn''t see anything particularly winger like from him really, Crofts at the edge of the diamond did a better job out wide last season. Has potential and hopefully will be utilised better this season.

Johnson-7/8 Not sure what to give him, appeared to have a very solid game seems to win the ball a lot, passes the ball accurately most of the time, tries to create chances. On another day he probably would have scored and set up a goal with his first cross of the game.

Crofts-7 Lots of effort, like Johnson, maybe not quite as good overal. Should have done better with his many chances.

Holt-6 Lots of running and pressurising, but no output at al from what I can remember.

Martin- 7 Great link up play, won the ball in the air quite a lot, held the ball up brought players into the game. Main downside is he didn''t shoot when he possibly should have.

Subs:

Hoolahan-8 Ran the game when he came on, needs to start

Morison-5 Should have scored, will see it again later but i''m sure he should have done better with that header.

Vaughan-NA, didn''t get a chance to do much really had one half effort, but was never going to score on the turn like that, could be dangerous.

agreed re De Laet... im starting to think he is nowhere near good enough... it seems to be mistake after mistake after mistake with him now.....Time for Whitbread or Ward when they return.

Grant Holt is beginning to look like a tyre-fitter playing in the Permier League.

Yes he is strong and holds up play, but mainly that''s because he is hauling down an opponent.

He has no pace in the box, doesn''t take up good positions in the area, and officials have sussed out his modus.

His substitution today is perhaps the moment when we say goodbye Grant. Not that he wont play again, but I think he''s not an automatic choice on the teamsheet in the way he was over the past two seasons.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]Rudd - 7Tierney - 7Da Laet - 5.5Barnett - 6Naughton - 6Johnson - 8 (MOTM)Crofts - 6Surman - 6Bennett - 6.5Holt - 7C.Martin - 6.5Subs: Hoolahan 7.5Morison N/AVaughan N/ARef - 3[/quote]A pretty fair assesment all round I''d say.

Legend Iwan"]With those type of scores you would have thought we won comfortably today.

Exactly, people need to get their yellow and green tinted glasses off!

We wern''t good enough end of story. If we''d of cut out the defensive mistake we''d of drew 0-0 cause we never looked like scoring!

And please all this praise of Chris Martin is so wide of the mark. Ye he can link up well but ultimately isn''t strong enough or quick enough which is why his end product especially in the penalty box is non existant!

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Don''t blame the ref? Were you even watchin g the same game?[/quote]

We can''t keep blaming refs. We were not good enough.

We can blame the referee. We should have had a penalty, and despite our lack of conviction earlier in the game, that would have been 1-1 and a slightly more deserved result.

ITs not fair to solely blame the ref, we obviously are lacking something (probably Cody MacDonald) from out final 1/3 attacking. But otherwise we have played well, and do create a decent amount of chances, its just we aren''t converting them or they just aren''t dangerous enough to be converted in the first place. But to just ignore the refs input into games this season would be naive. (I.e penalty against Wigan, would they have scored otherwise? Red card against Stoke, would they have had that many chances otherwise? Red at Chelsea, would they have still won? Penalty today didn''t matter, but the lack of a penalty for us did)

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]And please all this praise of Chris Martin is so wide of the mark. Ye he can link up well but ultimately isn''t strong enough or quick enough which is why his end product especially in the penalty box is non existant![/quote]I think I will take Lamberts opinion over yours.

Not a big C.Martin fan usually but I thought he was decent today. a solid 7 for me.

Johnson best player on pitch today IMO with an 8.

Really dissapointed with Crofts and De Laet today.

De Laet seems very clueless at times, a defender with no brain it seems. I am hoping he will be dropped soon as he will cost us big time at this rate, every time he gets the ball I am holding my breath and every time he makes a tackle in and around the box I am biting my nails.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]We can blame the referee. We should have had a penalty, and despite our lack of conviction earlier in the game, that would have been 1-1 and a slightly more deserved result. ITs not fair to solely blame the ref, we obviously are lacking something (probably Cody MacDonald) from out final 1/3 attacking. But otherwise we have played well, and do create a decent amount of chances, its just we aren''t converting them or they just aren''t dangerous enough to be converted in the first place. But to just ignore the refs input into games this season would be naive. (I.e penalty against Wigan, would they have scored otherwise? Red card against Stoke, would they have had that many chances otherwise? Red at Chelsea, would they have still won? Penalty today didn''t matter, but the lack of a penalty for us did)[/quote]

We''re responsible for our own fate. Lack of pace up front will cost us regardless of who the person we are lacking is.

I actually though De Laet was OK after the initial bad error. Let''s not be too hasty, we were as good as West Brom and really should have got a point. Not sure why people are creaming over Hoolahan so much, he is a decent player but he''s not as good as some people are making out. I thought Crofts should have been subbed, he looked a little tired, maybe replaced by Fox. But we all have opinions.

Rudd - 7 (good debut under pressure)

Tierney - 7.5 (played very well on wing)

Da Laet - 5 (good and bad today but that''s problem)

Barnett - 7 (kept the scoreline down today)

Naughton - 6 (ok)

Johnson - 8 (MOTM looks solid and)

Crofts - 5 (end product poor by his standards)

Surman - 6 (started well but poor end product)

Bennett - 6 (ok wanted to see more)

Holt - 5 (not at the races)

C.Martin - 7 (played very well, just needs confidence boost to take opportunities quickly)

Subs:

Hoolahan 7

Morison N/A

Vaughan N/A

Ref - 5

Positives I take from the game are:

I thought Declan Rudd looked good considering how much pressure he was under after such a quick goal.

Bradley Johnson looked good.

Vaughan is back and looks up for it, may just add a bit of bite we need.

We restricted a very good team like West Brom from playing for the majority of the game through some excellent build up play.

We seem to keep improving, the result is disappointing but I think Lambert is learning and we will continue to improve over the season.

As much as I trust Lambert I just don''t thin Holt and Martin should play at the same time. Martin has turned into much more of a targetman over the last year or so, and basically provides much the same as Holt now. Same goes for Crofts and Johnson, they''re both essentially defensive midfielders who like to shoot from distance, do we really need 2 of those?

I really hope when Pilkington comes back we try 4-2-3-1. Get Hoolahan and Fox on in place of Martin and Crofts, and Pilkington instead of Surman.

Rudd - 7. (Good debut, excellent pen save)

Tierney - 7. (Best defender today)

Da Laet - 5.5. (Getting too much stick, wasn''t completely awful)

Barnett - 6. (Average, kept Odemwingie under control)

Naughton - 6. (Wasn''t impressed with him today, might give Martin another chance v Fulham)

Johnson - 7.5 (Ran a lot, good match)

Crofts - 6. (Good performance and energy considering he played midweek)

Surman - 6.5 (Showed his class, performance was better than previous, but not an aggressive player)

Bennett - 6.5. (Good in midfield, could have done more when infront of the goal)

Holt - 6.5 (Quiet for the first quarter of the game)

C.Martin - 7. (Impressed with Martin today, don''t think he should have been subbed. Ran up and down, good attitude and effort shown)

Would have put Pilkington on the bench over Wilbraham!

[quote user="Titch.Canary"]Rudd - 7. (Good debut, excellent pen save)

Tierney - 7. (Best defender today)

Da Laet - 5.5. (Getting too much stick, wasn''t completely awful)

Barnett - 6. (Average, kept Odemwingie under control)

Naughton - 6. (Wasn''t impressed with him today, might give Martin another chance v Fulham)

Johnson - 7.5 (Ran a lot, good match)

Crofts - 6. (Good performance and energy considering he played midweek)

Surman - 6.5 (Showed his class, performance was better than previous, but not an aggressive player)

Bennett - 6.5. (Good in midfield, could have done more when infront of the goal)

Holt - 6.5 (Quiet for the first quarter of the game)

C.Martin - 7. (Impressed with Martin today, don''t think he should have been subbed. Ran up and down, good attitude and effort shown)

Would have put Pilkington on the bench over Wilbraham![/quote]I think Pilkington gt injured in training. Only heresay, not heard anything official yet.

Rudd - 6Naughton - 5Tierney - 7De Laet - 4Barnett - 6Johnson - 7Crofts - 5Surman - 5Bennett - 5Holt - 5Martin - 7SubsHoolahan - 7Vaughan - 6Morison - 5

Excellent possession but too slow (in player pace and even more crucially ball movement) meant foster did not have a save to make as we lacked creativity and had to rely on crosses from wide that paulsen & co coped with comfortably as the baggies had too much time to regroup and reorganise.

We deserved a draw in comparison to WBA overall... but they were sharper up front and made no mistakes at the back - and in the prem that is 3 pts worth of difference.

Rudd 6.5 Early goal knocked his confidence but recovered well and looks and able understudy.

Tierney 6 Got forward well but lost possession to easily. Ball watched as Odem.. scored and should have covered his run and warned De Laet for the goal

Barnett 6 Too often Odem caused him problems for pace and power.

De Laet 6 Mostly to blame for the goal with a woefully short back header for the goal, but let down but Tierney too. My Dave Watson analogy remains - one corking blunder followed by a solid game, needs to cut them out fast.

Naughton 7 Solid, good crossing but let down by Bennett in front of him

Surman 6 Disappointing, some neat touches and a good chance off target, but had little impact and deservedly subbed.

Crofts 6 V slow start, and game passed him by a little and allowed their midfield too much time & too many passes for long and odem to chase in the channels. Did improve, but little attacking threat and no creativity

Johnson 6.5. As crofts; but better. Woeful free kicks & slow ball movement highlighted lack of quality.

Bennett 6 like surman - brief flash but offered too little and no sign of the one thing he has that the rest of the team did not, pace. Was less of a threat with crosses etc than the fb behind him.

Holt 5 Ran himself into the ground but failed to hit target with an easy early chance and had little impact from then on.

Martin 6.5 Excellent link up play, held the ball up well, worked hard with good movement and until wes came on was the only player likely to create a chance. Lack of pace showed but like the rest never threatened to score.

Subs

Wes 6.5 Ran with the ball and finally gave us a more direct threat; did look lightweight.

Vaughan 6 Little impact, unlike the elbow which should have been a red card and a penalty.

Morison 6 Got too close for the non penalty the baggies got and should have hit the target with his header.

Ref 6. Got most things right, and I can see why he got the two big decisions wrong, he was conned for the pen and was blind sided for the elbow which happened v quickly and only spotted by close camera and if you had the right line of sight.

Obviously De Laet''s mistake was the defining moment, along with the elbow in Vaughan''s face which the ref somehow missed. I would say that none of the players had a bad game (except De Laet because of that one moment), but our issue is that we became too predicable. Tierney getting behind the defence on the left was always promising on the left, but despite the quality of his crosses it is a bit of a lottery against a muscular defence. I think one thing let us down: we were predictable. As others have said, we need more flair in midfield and attack and that was sorely lacking. Hoolohan has to start as he can create something out of nothing. And we need more pace up front. It was not a poor display, nor a great one, just simply too repetitive and WBA got used to it.

[quote user="Kevin Keelan"]Obviously De Laet''s mistake was the defining moment, along with the elbow in Vaughan''s face which the ref somehow missed. I would say that none of the players had a bad game (except De Laet because of that one moment), but our issue is that we became too predicable. Tierney getting behind the defence on the left was always promising on the left, but despite the quality of his crosses it is a bit of a lottery against a muscular defence. I think one thing let us down: we were predictable. As others have said, we need more flair in midfield and attack and that was sorely lacking. Hoolohan has to start as he can create something out of nothing. And we need more pace up front. It was not a poor display, nor a great one, just simply too repetitive and WBA got used to it.[/quote]

On re-reading I think it''s worth saying Surman looked shaky and lost the ball too many times. I''d probably say he had a poor game.