Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

GPACS Flown the Nest report - Week 5

Hi Guys, another week of GPACS ex players report....

A predictable ineffective performance, as Cody McDonald started life at Coventry City. McDonald made little impact in their 2-0 win v. Derby, a game which featured several ex-canaries. There was a call amongst certain Norwich fans that McDonald should be given his chance in the Championship and would be able to compete at that level. On the weekends evidence he has a lot of work to do.

Craig Bellamy got his 2nd spell at Liverpool off to a losing start as they went down 1-0 to a battling Stoke side, Liverpool will wonder how they didnt'' win this after having the majority of the chances. Bellamy will add another dimension to Kenny Dalglish''s already impressive squad this season.

Rob Earnshaw had a mixed week to say the very least....it started off badly as he missed a very easy chance in the England v. Wales game at Wembley on Wednesday, a decent ball was put into the box and Earnshaw got contact to it but unfortunately the ball looped over the bar. Earnshaw will be happy with his goal though on Saturday v. Doncaster, the 2nd in a 2-0 win at home.

Henri Lansbury scored on his debut in West Ham''s 4-3 home win to Portsmouth, the Hammers are starting to turn the screw now this season and are odds on favourites to return to the Premier League. Rob Green, of course still plays in goal for the East London club.

Troy Archibald-Henville played in Exeter City''s 2-0 loss away at Charlton Athletic, no sign of the Doc at Charlton right now as they currently lie in 2nd position behind Sheffield Utd.

Jimmy Smith scored a last minute equaliser for Leyton Orient v. Ian Henderson''s Colchester Utd in a 1-1 draw, the O''s still find themselves rooted to the foot of League One though.

Goran Maric currently plays for Lombard-Papa TFC who are based in Hungary. Maric has scored 5 goals in 6 goals so far this season. Sign him up.

Good stuff as always Jez[Y]

Just to keep you busy I saw Paul Gallacher was playing for Dunfirmline in the SPL at the weekend. So there''s another to keep an eye on.

And talking about ''keepers I understand that Scott Howie was playing against "The Bayer Crew" on Sunday afternoon.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]yes Nigel...seen that...

Also Mark Fotheringham is having a trial at Sheff Utd, god help them[/quote]

Heeey! I thought he had a trial with them two year ago - blimey things are tight round here.

Excitingly this evening, Darel Russell has scored to put Preston one up against Charlton, who feature The Doc at centre back.  Expect penalties galore.

Doc has hardly played this season. Glad to see him playing. I reckon there''ll be at least 6 pens even if they''re only the ones the fans can see!

Paul Hayes plays for them now as does........

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZE

A league scoreline that only a few years ago would have been not just improbable but impossible and shows how great clubs can fall on hard times:

Stevenage 3 Sheffield Wednesday (managed by Megson) 0.

When you consider the history of the clubs that is an amazing scoreline Purple.

Wednesday were the first team I saw play us at Carrow Road. There were 42,000 that day! Were you one of them?

I always admired the Sheff Wed sides from the 80''s, with people like Gary Bannister and Mel Sterland in, I always felt we were doing well to get anything from those games. How times change indeed

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

When you consider the history of the clubs that is an amazing scoreline Purple.

Wednesday were the first team I saw play us at Carrow Road. There were 42,000 that day! Were you one of them?

[/quote]

And it''s now 4-0. If I was being in a provocative mood I would suggest it is the kind of scoreline that shows some Norwich fans need to get a sense of perspective about the supposed horror of one season in the third tier, but only if I was being provocative...

Yes, nutty, I was there. We had beaten Man Utd 2-1 away, and - according to my increasingly dim memory - succumbed rather tamely. All a bit of a disappointment. But Sheffield Wednesday were good; they''d reached the final the year before. And, having checked, I see Don Megson (Gary''s father) was playing for them around that time.

Megson Jnr played for them too. In fact father and son both captained Wednesday and are both club legends. As is a certain Nigel Worthington who is also their most capped player!

Don Megson must have played with Peter Swan, Tony Kaye and David Layne in that famous betting scandal when they bet on themselves to lose at ipswich. They got bans but I''d have had them shot for giving a game to scum![:@]

When we played them in ''67 I don''t remember much about the game except that Tommy Bryceland scored our goal. I''d never been to a match before and was overawed by the crowd. Most kids start off with a nice gentle reserve game and not crammed in a crowd of 42,000. The previous year they''d lost 3-2 to Everton in what I remember was an exciting FA Cup final.

I don''t feel like being provocative despite the fact that Wednesday haven''t had a sniff of getting back to the Prem since they were relegated in 2000. Anybody would think they had a cook in charge.....