Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Mark Halsey has just texted Talksport to say.....

"gutted that I missed the elbow, and had I have seen it ,it would have been penalty and a red card". No surprise that he missed it of course as this would have involved him leaving the centre circle to keep up with play, which was something he didnt have the fitness to do all afternoon let alone the last minute of the game.

This doesn''t really help us now of course and even if the FA were to now ban Tamas this only benefits the next 3 teams that WBA play rather than us in anyway.

Unfortunately Richard Keys and Andy Gray didn''t ask Halsey to justify the "penalty" that he did see, which was one of the softest I''ve seen at Carrow Road in my 30 odd years of attendance.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

"gutted that I missed the elbow, and had I have seen it ,it would have been penalty and a red card". No surprise that he missed it of course as this would have involved him leaving the centre circle to keep up with play, which was something he didnt have the fitness to do all afternoon let alone the last minute of the game.

This doesn''t really help us now of course and even if the FA were to now ban Tamas this only benefits the next 3 teams that WBA play rather than us in anyway.

Unfortunately Richard Keys and Andy Gray didn''t ask Halsey to justify the "penalty" that he did see, which was one of the softest I''ve seen at Carrow Road in my 30 odd years of attendance.

[/quote]

Doesn''t really make me feel any better. Doesn''t get our point back (if we had managed to score that is) and they are away at Swansea next week so arguably not really in our interests for them to be missing a first choice defender.

I normally try to be polite and give refs the benefit of the doubt because they have a tough job... But he can go f*** himself. He shouldn''t have missed it, his assistant shouldn''t have missed it and seeing as they were the two "active" players that should have been watched, there is no excuse.I''d rather they just keep their f****** mouths shut when they make such massive errors because it doesn''t do anyone any good other than maybe West brom''s next three opponents as it was deffo violent conduct.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]It doesn''t change anything, and in a way makes it all the more frustrating, but I respect him for admitting it.
[/quote]

If I thought it was genuine, so would I. Sadly, I suspect it''s the usual PR "mea culpa" job because he knows his position is indefensible. He''s paid a lot of money to see things like that. Other people in more menial jobs would be sacked without a second thought for a cock up of that magnitude.

and had we been awarded and scored that penalty (admittedly scoring element not a formality where we are concerned) then the table and this messageboard would have a slightly different feel to it this morning. You don''t get relegated due to refereeing decisions alone but if we miss out to West Brom by a couple of points this season I know who i will hold partly responsible.

I listened to the commentry on Talksport travelling back from London. Stan Collymore was mildly incensed by the WBA penalty as it was so soft and thought the Vaughan incident was a blatent penalty. However he made the point that we lost because our centre backs are lightweight and all at sea and there''s no threat from our strikers despite the many good crosses from the wide men. He felt the team other than these positions is good enough but sees us having every chance of going down unless these deficiencies are addressed. 

Beaus makes a good point, Halsey has had a refereeing career littered with promotions, ultimately and sadly, he probably isn''t fit enough to officiate at the elite level now.

It''s a shame but in the here and now he probably needs to take a step down a level or two.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

Not much of a surprise there then! He is merely protecting himself as he would hardly admit seeing it and making himself look an even bigger incompetent than he already does.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]It doesn''t change anything, and in a way makes it all the more frustrating, but I respect him for admitting it.
[/quote]

I don''t because I think he saw it and decided to do nothing

My feeling was that he was smug & complacent and thought any appeals for pens were down to a feeling of injustice over the earlier award. He also doesn''t say why he ignored Olson twice holding back players in he box or failed to even give a freekick when de Laet was felled.He also made a big show that he was adding time on for WBA time wasting. So what went up on the board 4 minutes!! That after 6 subs 3 injuries & sundry time wasting. Ok in the end he played more but that was down to incidents in stoppage time.

I agree we can''t blame refs decisions for our failure to win but the fact is the score was 1 - 0 in injury time & we should have had the chance of an equaliser from the spot

Stop bloody moaning guys. Your worse then my missus when i miss washing up one the dishes. He''s admitted he was wrong fairplay. Lets win next week by a few goals so we don''t have to worry about 1or 2 ''errors''

What makes it all the more galling is that when Tamas gets banned for

three games, it actually helps our opponents. We get hit by a

double-whammyMaybe the wronged club should have the power to choose which three games the guilty player willl miss!!

OK it''s gutting, but he has at least admitted his mistake, refs are only human. Eventually we''ll get rewarded a soft penalty or two. 

To be fair, their penalty wasn''t that bad. Yes, he went down like a sack of spuds, and made a huge meal of it. However there was contact and that is just good striker play - Holt does it all the time. Obviously the elbow was ridiculous and should have been spotted, and there can be no excuses for that one. Especially the linesman who was looking straight at it. I wish linesman gave their opinion more on fouls, they only seem to call if it is right in front of them. [:(]

[quote user="Barnett is King"]To be fair, their penalty wasn''t that bad. Yes, he went down like a sack of spuds, and made a huge meal of it. However there was contact and that is just good striker play - Holt does it all the time. [/quote]

The annoying thing is I think the majority of fans would prefer a game of football where such minimal contact did not result in a penalty. But then of course they would doubtless be jumping up and down demanding one be awarded if a similar incident happened at the other end. Football fans are nothing if not massive hypocrites [:D]

We need to wise up pretty damn quick if we are going to stand a chance of staying in this league. It''s no good moaning about players going down to easily or time wasting and expecting it to change. Presumably most of you have watched the Premier League before so such antics should not come as much of a surprise. Our players need to follow our captains example and cheat a bit more [;)]

What football needs is a panel that look at every game and any feigning of injury (harte last season) to get a player sent off, crowding of officials, deliberate violent contact and diving should be punished by a ban in the next game.

This will stop the cheats in the game, yes it will take a season and the lines have to be strict and very clear.

But until this stops the refs are going to have controversy after every game. This way the emphasis is on the player on each team not to let his team down by being banned for the next game.

But then again I can see nothing like this ever happening and this so called mans game being as non contact as basketball and full of prima donnas.

Real injury is dislocated shoulder, not a little knock. I will always hate porto players who played in that Europa Cup Final with Celtic. They dived and feigned injury throughout. That is what this game turns into at times. We have gone so far down this road now it is ridiculous.

Our players need to learn to take out players before they get into the area, our yellow cards may go up but the amount of penalties and goals conceded would go down.

[quote user="Harry"]Our players need to learn to take out players before they get into the area, our yellow cards may go up but the amount of penalties and goals conceded would go down.[/quote]

Good point.

[quote user="Dan Druff"]

[quote user="Harry"]Our players need to learn to take out players before they get into the area, our yellow cards may go up but the amount of penalties and goals conceded would go down.[/quote]

Good point.

[/quote]

Exactly the point I made after the Chelsea game with regards to their penalty. We had a chance (I think it was Naughton but I could be wrong) to take Ramires out on half way but let him through. It''s not pretty but sometimes you have to take a yellow card for the team.

yes, the manager most likely said the same after the game i would wager, although a yellow can sometimes turn out to be a red and finishing the game with 11 players seems to be a little difficult for us this season.

What is hardest to accept for me is not players falling easily or whatever, its the inconsistancy of the decisions. If the slightest shirt pull or contact in the penalty area results in a penalty, fine, just so long as both teams are awarded them and everyone knows where they stand. If jamie carragher''s tug was a pen then why did we not get 2 or 3 pens versus WBA?. This season has so far left me so confused about the rules of football that I may even have to ask my little lady how the offside rule works

As some will know I have a close connection with the ref on Sunday, and indeed several others that we will see during the season. For what it is worth here are some points.

It was the assessor that reported the incident to the FA. Halsey immediately told the assessor that he was unsighted. That gets him off the hook.

The Assisant referee also claims to have been unsighted. But looking at the tape, he clearly wasn''t and was reprimanded. Keep an eye, I wouldnt be surprised if he gets quietly buried for a few weeks.

Halsey also reported to feeling unwell during the game. You may have noticed that he was often taking water provided by the fourth official. This may well have lead to him being nowhere near either of the big decisons.

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]Halsey also reported to feeling unwell during the game. You may have noticed that he was often taking water provided by the fourth official. This may well have lead to him being nowhere near either of the big decisons.[/quote]If that''s the case he shouldn''t have carried on.

Extremely frustrating given that if we had scored from the penalty we''d have grabbed a point instead of nothing. As has been said by others, giving Tamas a 3 match ban does not help us at all particularly if WBA play our rivals. In fact you could say it helps our rivals.

People are saying we didn''t deserve anything from the game as our attack was weak and our defence was poor, but I look at it another way. How many times do teams play poorly and yet manage to win or draw. We played well against Chelsea and Stoke but only came away from those 2 games with a point - again the referees let us down with poor decisions, which have cost us. Lets hope the decisions start to go our way for a change.

We didn''t play badly v WBA, but we need to be more ruthless in front of goal and more decisive at the back. We will learn from this and hopefully the results will come.

This smacks of trying to protect his reputation.

I''m not sure whether referees are allowed to speak after a game, so if they are, why didn''t he comment on Sunday? A bloodied shirt and a strong reaction from Vaughan was an obvious clue that the ''collision'' was deemed deliberate by Vaughan.

The FA charging Tamas was a clear indication that Halsey had cocked-up, and he clearly thinks ''fessing-up'' now will help him continue to ref the Premiership the rest of the season.

Some of these referees give the impression that they relish the big televised games as it''s a chance for them to preen their feathers. The best refs are the ones that finish a game, no controversial incidents, and you''ve hardly noticed they''ve been on the pitch.....few and far between...

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]Halsey also reported to feeling unwell during the game. You may have noticed that he was often taking water provided by the fourth official. This may well have lead to him being nowhere near either of the big decisons.[/quote]

If that''s the case he shouldn''t have carried on.
[/quote]

as I said in the OP to this thread ,Halsey barely left the centre circle all match and this was noticable very early on. He was constantly miles behind play or at the other end of the scale ,was getting in the way of play as he was too slow to get out of the way.

Others may skirt around the big issue here but I will bring it up. We''re all aware of the health issues that the poor bloke has been through over the last couple of years but on Sunday''s eveidence you''d have to question weather he is fit enough to return to refereeing at this level...or indeed will ever be?. I would thank the FA not to use us as a guinea pig to find out.

It''s time this three game ban sh!te was looked into.

It may have suited in the days of the ''Corinthian spirit'' when a player would suffer the loss of his sport for a few weeks. As that was the purpose of his playing., it hurt. That is NOT the case now. Clubs have squads of 25 players and can usually cover any ban with a player of equal quality, so what real point does the present system serve ?

Players are in it for the money as are pretty much most of those involved in football at the higher levels. Nothing wrong with, but then lets at least make the punishment fit.

Any sending off should merit a fine of two weeks wages and one weeks wages for each player. If the sending off merits a three game ban then double the fine.

Any player can appeal a decision but the presumption will be that tany sending off and any violent conduct decision stands, unless the player can prove otherwise.

This will proportionally hit the players and ultimately the clubs. It might also go some way to demonstrating to fans that cheating for financial gain has some reasonable sanctions against it - and that those running football have finally grown some b*lls.

Otherwise the present system is as much us as telling a convicted shoplifter that they will have to stay out of all shops for an afternoon ..... and they can keep what they nicked as well.