Sign in to follow this  
scrimmage

Chrissy Martin...

[quote user="GJP"]

Going back to what I said earlier in the thread...

Chris Martin does play some nice stuff but that''s all it usually is "nice". Was there ever a time yesterday when Chris Martin had WBA worried? Did he ever worry them the same way that Odemwingie or Long worried us? No, not at all.

He''s started the last 3 games and he hasn''t really looked like scoring. He  had 1 very good chance against Chelsea and he put it straight at Hilario. Look how hard he found it to come by goals in the Championship last season, he''s not going to find it any easier in the Premier League.

You can get away with having a striker in the team who doesn''t score goals if you''re winning games but we''re not winning games and unless Martin discovers a goal scoring touch very soon his inclusion in the team is going to cost us.

[/quote]I think he had them worried enough to make three borderline challenges in the box yesterday... not big penalty shouts but some refs would give them.I also feel that if Bennetts chance had fallen to him he''d have at the very least worked Foster. If he was still on the pitch when the freekick was given at the end he''d have been my choice to hit it.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Paul"]Chris Martin is gash, end of. My 8 year old son who has only been into fotoball for about a year was even saying that Martin is slow, has no first touch and takes an age to do anything with the ball. When will the people that think coz he is a Norfolk boy he has to play take the blinkers off and realise he is a league 1 player at best. I would love to ask Lambert why he keeps playing him coz i''m sorry as much as I respect and admire Lambert, he has this one woefully wrong, we need more pace and urgency in the team and Martin has neither.[/quote]

How come he''s playing in a Premiership football team then?

[:O]
[/quote]

Because my five year old daughter (who clearly knows more about football that Paul''s eight year old son) is secretly picking the team.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="GJP"]

Chris Martin does play some nice stuff but that''s all it usually is "nice". Was there ever a time yesterday when Chris Martin had WBA worried? Did he ever worry them the same way that Odemwingie or Long worried us? No, not at all.

He''s started the last 3 games and he hasn''t really looked like scoring. He  had 1 very good chance against Chelsea and he put it straight at Hilario. Look how hard he found it to come by goals in the Championship last season, he''s not going to find it any easier in the Premier League.

You can get away with having a striker in the team who doesn''t score goals if you''re winning games but we''re not winning games and unless Martin discovers a goal scoring touch very soon his inclusion in the team is going to cost us.

[/quote]

I think he had them worried enough to make three borderline challenges in the box yesterday... not big penalty shouts but some refs would give them.
I also feel that if Bennetts chance had fallen to him he''d have at the very least worked Foster. If he was still on the pitch when the freekick was given at the end he''d have been my choice to hit it.
[/quote]

I would suggest that Olsson and Tamas were always fairly comfortable dealing with Martin and Holt. Ben Foster also had very little to do.

It''s a shame to say it because Chris Martin is a good footballer but I can''t see us staying in this league if he''s in the team every week. However, I don''t think that will be the case.

i''m sorry but i thought he was poor yesterday.  yes there were some good link up passes but absolutely nothing in front of goal.  if he were meant to be playing centre midfield i''d give him 6/10 but since he''s a striker i would say 3/10 at best.

the whole team were awful yesterday, nothing like the performance vs Chelsea.

Morison should''ve started with Holt in my opinion.  I''m not sure Holt was fully fit and it was right to bring him off but Martin did nothing for me.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="John"]I thought he was poor, and was utterly relieved to see him come off.

[/quote]

In one line you show how little you know about football.
[/quote]

He was poor in a striker role but good in a midfielder role. Unfortunately he was selected as a striker and he is NOT a striker.

[/quote]
Paul, you are tha man that lauds Cody McDonald.

I need say no more.
[/quote]

At least Cody has pace and scores goals, and the fact he was not given a chance speaks volumes. Thus alas I think we are probably doomed, more so is Martin continues in a striker role.

[/quote]

Martin scored in League One and Championship....

You''re an idiot. There''s no other way to describe you. Well, there is, but this is a family-friendly forum after all...
[/quote]

Well, in my world those that resort to insults are idiots as they have poor powers of reasoning and thus resort to bullying and abuse. Martin scored 4 in the Championship last season and 16 in League 1 discounting 4 against a poor Paulton. Hardly exceptional, and he clearly does not have the necessary pace for a striker in the Prem, a point that I have been making for months and that many others on here appear to belatedly agree with.  

[quote user="Gareth"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="John"]I thought he was poor, and was utterly relieved to see him come off.

[/quote]

[/quote]

He was poor in a striker role but good in a midfielder role. Unfortunately he was selected as a striker and he is NOT a striker.

[/quote]

I need say no more.
[/quote]

At least Cody has pace and scores goals, and the fact he was not given a chance speaks volumes. Thus alas I think we are probably doomed, more so is Martin continues in a striker role.

[/quote]

How many shots did Cody have yesterday?
[/quote]

Let the guy have his 5 or 6 games to get properly fit and then we can have a logical discusssion. 

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]I think he had them worried enough to make three borderline challenges in the box yesterday... not big penalty shouts but some refs would give them.I also feel that if Bennetts chance had fallen to him he''d have at the very least worked Foster. If he was still on the pitch when the freekick was given at the end he''d have been my choice to hit it.[/quote]

I would suggest that Olsson and Tamas were always fairly comfortable dealing with Martin and Holt. Ben Foster also had very little to do.

It''s a shame to say it because Chris Martin is a good footballer but I can''t see us staying in this league if he''s in the team every week. However, I don''t think that will be the case.

[/quote]True, Olsson and Tamas were comfortable enough playing as they were but I wouldn''t say he didn''t cause them concern- another day with a ref who was being more picky and Olsson would have had a yellow fairly early on... he could not have got away with his challenges on Martin then and I don''t think he had another answer.I think that Martin is as good as Holt in the role they have to play at the moment but without support they are both going to look ordinary at best.I don''t want to hark on about players who didn''t come here but a Pacheco type up front with them could make them both seem excellent!Certainly dropping Martin for Morrison won''t help. In my eyes there was nothing wrong with the front line performance yesterday but the midfield looked pretty short of ideas going forward.I would love to see Tierney in front of Drury on the left and just one defensive midfielder- after yesterday Crofts would miss out or go wide right at Bennett''s expense.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]In one line you show how little you know about football.[/quote]

[/quote]Paul, you are tha man that lauds Cody McDonald. I need say no more.[/quote]

[/quote]Martin scored in League One and Championship....You''re an idiot. There''s no other way to describe you. Well, there is, but this is a family-friendly forum after all...[/quote]

Well, in my world those that resort to insults are idiots as they have poor powers of reasoning and thus resort to bullying and abuse. Martin scored 4 in the Championship last season and 16 in League 1 discounting 4 against a poor Paulton. Hardly exceptional, and he clearly does not have the necessary pace for a striker in the Prem, a point that I have been making for months and that many others on here appear to belatedly agree with.  

[/quote]Who is quicker- Holt or Martin? Is Martin the problem or a complete lack of pace up front?

so many thick individuals on this board it is pathetic. My point is that even an 8 year knows that Martin is tripe.

Anyone that think he can cut it in the Premiership is, well basically a moron.

Too slow, bad first touch, when he gets the ball he needs 3 or 4 seconds to work out what to do with it.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="John"][/quote]

John, you can point out the flaws in other posters to your heart''s content, but your verbose pedantry is either inaccurate or nauseating.

Criticise Martin all you want, but we know what Martin provides: an aerial threat, build up play, and movement across the pitch. Asking him to perform the role, of say Odemwingie today is of course moronic. He just is not that type of player. You certainly don''t ask Hernandez to play as a target man and ask Kenwyne Jones to sniff around in the box. Lambert is not a fool, and invariably he started Martin for his style of play (remember he picks the team!). I for one thought Martin did what he set out to do very well today. He won ball in the air, he made the most passes in the final third out of any player on the pitch and he created some chances. I''m aware he took few shots, but that goes for the whole of the team (including Grant Holt). We have a problem at being sharp in the box, but I must reiterate, that we are going to have this problem all season if we play Holt and Martin upfront, and Johnson and Crofts in the middle. These are workmen, not play-makers and clinical finishers.

(Please keep any reply under a 1000 characters, thanks.)
[/quote]

I''m amazed that you see Martin as an aerial threat. I would say that he is probably the weakest of all of our forwards in the air barring Jackson perhaps.  

I forgot, that''s why you''re manager Paul. You are exactly the sort of fan that is the problem with Norwich. Constantly needing to find a player to single out and lay all of the team''s shortcomings on. No doubt you were ripping into Ruddy last year, or Wilbraham, or R. Martin the year before.

It is you that is pathetic, get behind the lads, or shut your mouth, because you''re not helping anybody.

[quote user="Paul"]so many thick individuals on this board it is pathetic. My point is that even an 8 year knows that Martin is tripe.

Too slow, bad first touch, when he gets the ball he needs 3 or 4 seconds to work out what to do with it.[/quote]The point is that you think you are right because an 8 year old who has only been watching football for a year agrees with his dad!

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I need say no more.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Martin scored in League One and Championship....

You''re an idiot. There''s no other way to describe you. Well, there is, but this is a family-friendly forum after all...
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who is quicker- Holt or Martin? Is Martin the problem or a complete lack of pace up front?
[/quote]

Holt is not dependent on pace as he plays a target-man role, whereas his strike partner requires pace to get onto the end of his flick-ons etc. Of course the problem with playing Martin and Holt together is total lack of pace and I pointed this out to my mate before the game even started so I''m sure Lambert must be aware of this.  Vaughan or Jackson would have been better partners IMO, although I would favour Vaughan of the two, but I am making an assumption on his pace as I had never seen him play prior to yesterday.

[quote user="splutcho"]I forgot, that''s why you''re manager Paul. You are exactly the sort of fan that is the problem with Norwich. Constantly needing to find a player to single out and lay all of the team''s shortcomings on. No doubt you were ripping into Ruddy last year, or Wilbraham, or R. Martin the year before. It is you that is pathetic, get behind the lads, or shut your mouth, because you''re not helping anybody.[/quote]

Check my post on Ruddy last year and you will see that I was backing him and worried about other fans criticisms and abuse ruining his confidence. On Wilbraham, I don''t think I''ve ever said much apart from supporting him as a stand-in target-man for if  Holt was injured. On Martin, again I''ve never said much as he''s always been solid. So, it is you who is making assumptions which are totally false and thus pathetic. This board is for opinion and discussion and I agree I may not be helping those that are blinkered by association with certain players.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]In one line you show how little you know about football.[/quote]

[/quote]Paul, you are tha man that lauds Cody McDonald. I need say no more.[/quote]

[/quote]Martin scored in League One and Championship....You''re an idiot. There''s no other way to describe you. Well, there is, but this is a family-friendly forum after all...[/quote]

[/quote]Who is quicker- Holt or Martin? Is Martin the problem or a complete lack of pace up front?[/quote]

Holt is not dependent on pace as he plays a target-man role, whereas his strike partner requires pace to get onto the end of his flick-ons etc. Of course the problem with playing Martin and Holt together is total lack of pace and I pointed this out to my mate before the game even started so I''m sure Lambert must be aware of this.  Vaughan or Jackson would have been better partners IMO, although I would favour Vaughan of the two, but I am making an assumption on his pace as I had never seen him play prior to yesterday.

[/quote]I think I''m making the same point- Martin is really a target man as well- but imo with a bit more danger to him if he does get half a yard of space... now Holt is better at other things so I''m not saying Martin should be playing that role instead of Holt- just depending on the opposition I feel we have two great players to fill that one role! If we play both there MUST be a potent threat with pace in the midfield- we don''t have that player though!!

Would Martin get a game for Brighton or Southampton at the moment. The quick answer is not. He may have a role in midfield but as a striker he is out of his pdepth both at Premiership and championship level

[quote user="Paul"]so many thick individuals on this board it is pathetic. My point is that even an 8 year knows that Martin is tripe.

Too slow, bad first touch, when he gets the ball he needs 3 or 4 seconds to work out what to do with it.[/quote]So you didn''t see Martin intercept a high ball hit with pace from a West Brom defender, at shoulder height from about 10 feet away, bring it down superbly and lay it off with a neat ball to a midfielder? Perhaps I imagined that.I can understand why people criticise the weaker parts of his game, but saying he has no first touch is absolutely ludicrous. The amount of balls he came deep for and controlled extremely well yesterday were numerous. Anybody who actually watched the game without anti-Martin spectacles on yesterday would have seen this was obvious. Martin is still a young player and improving with each game in this league, and the only striker I would personally start ahead of him having seen everyone (apart from Jackson play this season) would be Vaughan, due to his pace. Precisely what did Holt do so much better than Martin yesterday to make you so vociferous against him? So remind me, who is thick and a moron? Paul Lambert for sticking with him for the last four games? Or you for speaking total and utter BS, whilst slagging plenty of other people off in the process?

Too slow, bad first touch, when he gets the ball he needs 3 or 4 seconds to work out what to do with it.[/quote]Paul Lambert''s a moron eh! [:S]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Personally I thought both Holt and Martin were excellent today, but we needed pace and invention with them- or one of them.
When Wes came on I thought the threat level jumped up a notch but then the double substitution killed that.
Morrison was woeful when he came on and Vaughan clearly isn''t quite on the same page as the rest of the team YET.
If PL had brought just one of Martin or Holt off (either/or today I felt) to bring Vaughan on I suspect the momentum we were building could have stayed on. We''ll never know for sure.
I have been gunned down for saying it before but I still believe we need another player with pace and finishing ability to play up front- I think we have 4 ''center forwards'' in Holt, Martin, Morrison and Wilbraham (in that order of preference for me), one ''Striker'' in Jackson and one unknown quantity in Vaughan.
I would have to say that I only rate Jackson slightly higher than Morrison so feel we need at least one ''Striker'' who can run on to a pass and poach a half chance to be the first choice of that type.
After today I would not pick Morrison again unless I had to- but after Wigan he''d have been in my starting 11- so time will tell!
[/quote]

Pace and finishing ability. Oh the irony. 

[quote user="delta bravo"]Martin has no 1st touch???? Get real
[/quote]

he have first touch ofc and also some goos link play etc etc but guys why all of you who say martin is good enough forget what position he play?

he is on the field to hurth deffenders make shots find pace on the box surche ball in box etc all this things he not do it and if we have other striker holt who also great keep ball good link etc etc shits who is good but then who will do the job?who will try to shoot the ball in to the net?

i watch again the match and Holt again and again miss very celar chanse when Surman try cross then keeper push ball and Holt form 5 yards try shoot ball with right leg not with left and ball go away from very celar position.

They keepe not have any save real but we dominated with the ball on long periods put ball in some danger area''s but both holt and martin do nothing to shoot on target !

Its no way we to sucseed with same pair who play in league one and there is no way they to start together in premiere league.

Goals will not come because this guys is not smart enough to score goals from half chanses and also missed seater''s often +shaky deffence mean no wins its simple

so short back on topic Martin is not bad player but is not the answer and if he start 38 games he will score max 2-3 goals (if score any)with this style play.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Personally I thought both Holt and Martin were excellent today, but we needed pace and invention with them- or one of them.When Wes came on I thought the threat level jumped up a notch but then the double substitution killed that. Morrison was woeful when he came on and Vaughan clearly isn''t quite on the same page as the rest of the team YET.If PL had brought just one of Martin or Holt off (either/or today I felt) to bring Vaughan on I suspect the momentum we were building could have stayed on. We''ll never know for sure.I have been gunned down for saying it before but I still believe we need another player with pace and finishing ability to play up front- I think we have 4 ''center forwards'' in Holt, Martin, Morrison and Wilbraham (in that order of preference for me), one ''Striker'' in Jackson and one unknown quantity in Vaughan.I would have to say that I only rate Jackson slightly higher than Morrison so feel we need at least one ''Striker'' who can run on to a pass and poach a half chance to be the first choice of that type.After today I would not pick Morrison again unless I had to- but after Wigan he''d have been in my starting 11- so time will tell![/quote]

[/quote]I''ve been saying this for weeks- not sure where the irony is but don''t you agree?

[quote user="Paul"]Chris Martin is gash, end of.

My 8 year old son who has only been into fotoball for about a year was even saying that Martin is slow, has no first touch and takes an age to do anything with the ball. [/quote]Didnt realise that being thick was genetic !!!

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Personally I thought both Holt and Martin were excellent today, but we needed pace and invention with them- or one of them.
When Wes came on I thought the threat level jumped up a notch but then the double substitution killed that.
Morrison was woeful when he came on and Vaughan clearly isn''t quite on the same page as the rest of the team YET.
If PL had brought just one of Martin or Holt off (either/or today I felt) to bring Vaughan on I suspect the momentum we were building could have stayed on. We''ll never know for sure.
I have been gunned down for saying it before but I still believe we need another player with pace and finishing ability to play up front- I think we have 4 ''center forwards'' in Holt, Martin, Morrison and Wilbraham (in that order of preference for me), one ''Striker'' in Jackson and one unknown quantity in Vaughan.
I would have to say that I only rate Jackson slightly higher than Morrison so feel we need at least one ''Striker'' who can run on to a pass and poach a half chance to be the first choice of that type.
After today I would not pick Morrison again unless I had to- but after Wigan he''d have been in my starting 11- so time will tell!
[/quote]

[/quote]

I''ve been saying this for weeks- not sure where the irony is but don''t you agree?
[/quote]

It wasn''t a criticism YS. Have you not read my posts on a certain player we recently sold who had those attributes but was cruelly discarded with no attempt to see whether he could fill a role at this level ?  That''s why I mentioned irony with regard to your post a I don''t remember you backing this player, although of course I may be wrong and apologise if I am.  I can''t mention his name for obvious reasons.

[quote user="Boris"]

[quote user="delta bravo"]Martin has no 1st touch???? Get real[/quote]

he have first touch ofc and also some goos link play etc etc but guys why all of you who say martin is good enough forget what position he play?

he is on the field to hurth deffenders make shots find pace on the box surche ball in box etc all this things he not do it and if we have other striker holt who also great keep ball good link etc etc shits who is good but then who will do the job?who will try to shoot the ball in to the net?

i watch again the match and Holt again and again miss very celar chanse when Surman try cross then keeper push ball and Holt form 5 yards try shoot ball with right leg not with left and ball go away from very celar position.

They keepe not have any save real but we dominated with the ball on long periods put ball in some danger area''s but both holt and martin do nothing to shoot on target !

Its no way we to sucseed with same pair who play in league one and there is no way they to start together in premiere league.

Goals will not come because this guys is not smart enough to score goals from half chanses and also missed seater''s often +shaky deffence mean no wins its simple

so short back on topic Martin is not bad player but is not the answer and if he start 38 games he will score max 2-3 goals (if score any)with this style play.

[/quote]The same people who are saying Martin is not good enough will tell you Holt is- but their characteristics are similar- Martin has a better first touch and is a better finisher, Holt is more physical and a good leader... They play well together but I say it time and again... they are both ''Forwards'' not ''Strikers'' and while I don''t mind which forward plays we need a striker and don''t have one. This would not be a problem if we had a Huckerby, Gerrard or Lampard (maybe even Lansbury?) bursting forward and getting ahead of them but we don''t have that either... maybe Korey Smith needs a recall or Crofts can try to do it from the right of midfield instead of playing deep?

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Personally I thought both Holt and Martin were excellent today, but we needed pace and invention with them- or one of them.When Wes came on I thought the threat level jumped up a notch but then the double substitution killed that. Morrison was woeful when he came on and Vaughan clearly isn''t quite on the same page as the rest of the team YET.If PL had brought just one of Martin or Holt off (either/or today I felt) to bring Vaughan on I suspect the momentum we were building could have stayed on. We''ll never know for sure.I have been gunned down for saying it before but I still believe we need another player with pace and finishing ability to play up front- I think we have 4 ''center forwards'' in Holt, Martin, Morrison and Wilbraham (in that order of preference for me), one ''Striker'' in Jackson and one unknown quantity in Vaughan.I would have to say that I only rate Jackson slightly higher than Morrison so feel we need at least one ''Striker'' who can run on to a pass and poach a half chance to be the first choice of that type.After today I would not pick Morrison again unless I had to- but after Wigan he''d have been in my starting 11- so time will tell![/quote]

[/quote]I''ve been saying this for weeks- not sure where the irony is but don''t you agree?[/quote]

It wasn''t a criticism YS. Have you not read my posts on a certain player we recently sold who had those attributes but was cruelly discarded with no attempt to see whether he could fill a role at this level ?  That''s why I mentioned irony with regard to your post a I don''t remember you backing this player, although of course I may be wrong and apologise if I am.  I can''t mention his name for obvious reasons.

[/quote]Haha- didn''t put 2 and 2 together! I did suggest he was worth a run out on a thread a few weeks back! I''m not sure he would have made the grade but there is no reason to believe otherwise and he is certainly in the mold of player that we lack... I for one would not have minded seeing a certain canadian go to cov instead if someone had to!To be honest I don''t think the player we need has been at the club since Earnshaw and Hucks but without seeing the lad train and play he is the closest I think we''ve had for a while.

Holt is a far better striker than Martin as his goals in the Championship proved, not least because of vastly superior aerial ability and physical attributes.  Martin is simply a midfielder trying to play a striker''s role and I hope that Lambert soon realises that.

Yes on this issue I beleive Paul Lambert is totally and utterly wrong.

He has also made the mistake of not playing Wes enough.

The poster that said would Martin get in the Southampton team is spot on the answer is no, and probably about half the championship teams.

Brighton, West Ham, Boro, Leeds, Forest, Cardiff, Blackpool, Leicester - Nope not a chance. The only team in top 10 he might get in is Palace.

Was weak last season, is weak this season, the best part of his game is free kick taking. If we play holt and martin upfront together for many more games we will be relegated by Feb.

We need to pass the ball quicker, get it wide quicker and get crosses in quicker. Lee Dixon was spot on last night when he showed how Albion stretched our defense with their pace, we haven''t got that with martin and holt up front and out of the two there is only one that is gonna play and it aint Martin.

[quote user="Paul"]Yes on this issue I beleive Paul Lambert is totally and utterly wrong.

He has also made the mistake of not playing Wes enough. [/quote]LOL I love posters like you.You loaded up footy manager , stuck yourself in as manager of Chelsea and now you think you know the in''s and outs of football management.Stick to the computer games mate !!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Paul"]Yes on this issue I beleive Paul Lambert is totally and utterly wrong.

He has also made the mistake of not playing Wes enough. [/quote]LOL I love posters like you.You loaded up footy manager , stuck yourself in as manager of Chelsea and now you think you know the in''s and outs of football management.Stick to the computer games mate !![/quote]

Haven''t played football managers game for years mate, I have a life

So you can honestly hand on hard turn round and say that playing Martin instead of; Jackson, Morison and Vaughn was the right decision, and also that he was right not to play Wes yesterday.

Lambert has done brilliantly in the last two season that some people think that he can''t make a mistake.