Sign in to follow this  
scrimmage

Chrissy Martin...

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]I suppose he could be "not as good as Hoolahan" in the Hoolahan role... He doesn''t have the trickery, passing or creativity of Wes. Hoolahan is a "lively" player, certainly not something you could label Martin with.[/quote]

I was trying to be kind.

[quote user="Superstitious Dave "]I was sitting behind Chris Martins dad at a game away last season and heard him many times say "Chris you''re f*****g s**t"! So even his own dad don''t rate him[/quote]

Nine pages of opinions, and his dad hit the nail on the head in one sentence!!

[quote user="Spontaneous Dave"]So you know more about Chris than his Dad.[/quote]

I think you will find, Chris Martin has been selected to start 3 games in a row by a manager who has won two successive promotions, and will probably be a premiership manager for the majority of his career. But obviously one comment from Chris Martins dad, that i very much doubt was even said, over rules that?

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Spontaneous Dave"]So you know more about Chris than his Dad.[/quote]

I think you will find, Chris Martin has been selected to start 3 games in a row by a manager who has won two successive promotions, and will probably be a premiership manager for the majority of his career. But obviously one comment from Chris Martins dad, that i very much doubt was even said, over rules that?[/quote]If that''s what the lad''s father said about his son in public then no wonder he''ll have confidence issues!He''s a decent player (local too) and deserves a run in the team. There''s a lot more to winning matches than simply scoring goals.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]If that''s what the lad''s father said about his son in public then no wonder he''ll have confidence issues![/quote]What were you saying on the other thread about believing everything you read? And how come everybody else on here has recognised "Dave" is a troll but you haven''t seen it. Thicko!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]If that''s what the lad''s father said about his son in public then no wonder he''ll have confidence issues![/quote]What were you saying on the other thread about believing everything you read? And how come everybody else on here has recognised "Dave" is a troll but you haven''t seen it. Thicko![/quote]Hurting are you Lapdog?

[quote user="Spontaneous Dave"]Id bet Norwich staying up that Chris''s dad said that

Good dad[/quote][IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/trollradar176x220.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Hurting are you Lapdog?[/quote]Wooaahahahahaa! Only my sides Cluck. That''s hilarious, I don''t know how you think of them.Lapdog. Hehehe, never heard that one before! Hahahahahahahaha.Hohohohohoho! You must stop it Cluck, I''m peeing myself. Hahahhahah...so funny!Hehehehehehehehhehehehehehehhhehehhehehe!![:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Hurting are you Lapdog?[/quote]Wooaahahahahaa! Only my sides Cluck. That''s hilarious, I don''t know how you think of them.Lapdog. Hehehe, never heard that one before! Hahahahahahahaha.Hohohohohoho! You must stop it Cluck, I''m peeing myself. Hahahhahah...so funny!Hehehehehehehehhehehehehehehhhehehhehehe!![:S][/quote]

Thought so......

A good player to have in the squad, but wouldn''t consider him 1st choice material, not right now anyway. He has probably started 3 premier league games more than I thought he would have at the start of the season.

Martin strikes me as a player who needs a goal to gain confidence. Its clear Lambert see''s potential in him.

I kind of feel some people are basing their opinions on him due to the fact he is an academy player and they want to see him do well, if this is how you have come to your conclusion please feel happy enough already, as the fact he is playing regular first team football is credit to the academy anyway....however it would be good to see a few more players come through that very system.

Against WBA, Martin was one of our better players. Good first touch, good movement, good passing.

It''s not Chris Martin''s fault that he wasn''t picked out on at least 2 occasions when in great goalscoring positions.

If Martin plays up-front, then Wes needs to play in midfield. He''s the only one who can see Martin''s movement and pick him out. Maybe Fox can as well, but he''s too slow and lightweight to play centre mid in the Premiership.

After the first 4 games, my optimism regarding us staying up has gone from 100% to about 30%.

We''ll see what Lambert can do against Bolton; massive game now.

Have never rated Chris Martin too highly.

Dont see why he always starts when we have the likes of Morison on the bench and Jackson.

Jackson finished last season on a high and I dont see why chris martin gets his place back so easily after a lengthy injury.

Mad.

I don''t agree with people who have said he was playing well before he got injured last season, granted, at Nottingham Forest and Derby away he was brilliant but to be honest, all in all, I don''t think he was having a good season. It comes as no surprise to me that in my opinion, C.Martin''s best performaces came away from home, maybe he felt extra pressure playing in front of 25,000+ home fans at Carrow Road. This season however, I think he has started brilliantly, he has played to his strengths well, unfortunately I believe that his strengths do not outweigh what we are lacking up front, which is pace. C.Martin is known as the best finisher at the club but seems to struggle to get into goal scoring positions, this seems to come more naturally to Holt, and for that reason I''m afraid that we need to try someone else up front ahead of C.Martin.

[quote user="alysha"]This season however, I think he has started brilliantly, he has played to his strengths well, unfortunately I believe that his strengths do not outweigh what we are lacking up front, which is pace. C.Martin is known as the best finisher at the club but seems to struggle to get into goal scoring positions, this seems to come more naturally to Holt, and for that reason I''m afraid that we need to try someone else up front ahead of C.Martin.[/quote]I think this is all well thought out... however, would Martin get into those positions if Holt were not playing? They can;t both go to the same place and it is clear that Holt is the #1 forward at the club. I''m not suggesting that Holt shouldn''t play just wondering if it is fair to criticise Martin for not picking up the position another player takes?Going back to the days of Grant when Martin first came into the team he was regularly in those positions wasn''t he? Has it gone from his game or is he being asked to play the second striker role?

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="alysha"]This season however, I think he has started brilliantly, he has played to his strengths well, unfortunately I believe that his strengths do not outweigh what we are lacking up front, which is pace. C.Martin is known as the best finisher at the club but seems to struggle to get into goal scoring positions, this seems to come more naturally to Holt, and for that reason I''m afraid that we need to try someone else up front ahead of C.Martin.[/quote]

I think this is all well thought out... however, would Martin get into those positions if Holt were not playing? They can;t both go to the same place and it is clear that Holt is the #1 forward at the club. I''m not suggesting that Holt shouldn''t play just wondering if it is fair to criticise Martin for not picking up the position another player takes?
Going back to the days of Grant when Martin first came into the team he was regularly in those positions wasn''t he? Has it gone from his game or is he being asked to play the second striker role?
[/quote]

Good point, that may well be the case. I think once we view different partnerships up front, each individual player''s role in the team will become more defined. I guess we will just have to wait and see and continue to trust Lambert in his team selection.

[quote user="alysha"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="alysha"]This season however, I think he has started brilliantly, he has played to his strengths well, unfortunately I believe that his strengths do not outweigh what we are lacking up front, which is pace. C.Martin is known as the best finisher at the club but seems to struggle to get into goal scoring positions, this seems to come more naturally to Holt, and for that reason I''m afraid that we need to try someone else up front ahead of C.Martin.[/quote]I think this is all well thought out... however, would Martin get into those positions if Holt were not playing? They can;t both go to the same place and it is clear that Holt is the #1 forward at the club. I''m not suggesting that Holt shouldn''t play just wondering if it is fair to criticise Martin for not picking up the position another player takes?Going back to the days of Grant when Martin first came into the team he was regularly in those positions wasn''t he? Has it gone from his game or is he being asked to play the second striker role?[/quote]

Good point, that may well be the case. I think once we view different partnerships up front, each individual player''s role in the team will become more defined. I guess we will just have to wait and see and continue to trust Lambert in his team selection.

[/quote]It''s all we can do! :)

we are talking about this season though not last season.

Against Chelsea Holt put himself about well, just as morison outshone holt at wigan. On Sunday non of the 4 strikers looked like scoring butMartin outplayed holt by quite a way - mainly with the speed that he moved play along. Holt & Morison in particular needed too many touches - by which time

the baggies had regroup. Watch the MOTD2 highlights again - martin was involved in all our best moves.

When morison and vaughan came on we carried no more of a goal threat and neither held the ball up or linked play as well as martin did - and the holt martin partnership worked better than vaughan morsion.

Morison at least got himself a free header on goal but put it wide - more than holt, martin or vaughan did. So on that basis i would start with morison and martin - and why not?

But at the mo I think all 4 are better for the team that simeon, but as they are all pretty equal I wll be happy with whoever starts!

Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]He lacks pace, and doesn''t even sparkle in the Championship. I believe if he starts a good portion of games n we are going to be in real trouble this season. Of course I would love to be proven wrong, I just don''t see it regarding this player.

Unfortunately you are very true!

I would love nothing more than Chris Martin to be a success for us in the Premiership, beings hes home grown and local but the truth is hes not strong or quick enough to be a striker at this level. He wasn''t that great for us last season. I feel his top level is average Championship player/good League 1 player.

And no I haven''t got it in for him at all, just saying it as it is without wearing yellow and green Norwich City FC, spectacles!

No, Chris Martin didn''t play better than Holt on Sunday because he was too easy to defend against. Holt despite being limited at this level is one hell of a handful to mark. Chris Martin done lots of nice pretty passes in front of West Brom but was never a threat!

We will be in serious relegation trouble the longer we continue to play Chris Martin up front this season!

And for those who try to make that Lambert is a godly figure who never makes a mistake and cannot be critiscised! -

Lamberts been brilliant for us and I still fully subscribe to the "in Lambert we trust" atitude but he still makes mistakes!

Chris Martin is not good enough to be playing in the Premiership and it is a mistake to play him and it will be an even bigger one if Lambert doesn''t suss this out and very soon!

I will be very disapointed if Chris Martin starts on Saturday!

I am sure John Terry and Olson from Sunday will not want to be playing holt later this season. Certainly Olson could have been in a lot more trouble.

Martin will be a bench player, he has great ability on the ball and is a good natural finisher. But he hasn''t had opportunities (or made them) to show his finishing, well his 1 on 1 with Hilario he did take an extra touch. Hence I don''t think he should be in the first 11 at Bolton and probably won''t be a great deal this season.

Lambert will make mistakes and constructive criticism is essential even after a win. There is always room for improvement.

But mistakes have to be learnt from now by players and coaching staff, not in 5 games time when we are a quarter of the way through the season.

So I expect Vaughan to start

In the Premiership, decent strikers make chances out when there appears nothing on. Chris Martin had opportunities to do something on Sunday but was too slow preparing himself to do something which meant the opportunity was gone.

C Martins done a great job for us in League 1 (his true level I think!) and was a more than useful squad player last season even though he had to be taken out of the team cause he wasn''t quite doing enough.He can pass the ball and link up well but unfortunately he isn''t good enough to do a job in the Premiership!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

In the Premiership, decent strikers make chances out when there appears nothing on. Chris Martin had opportunities to do something on Sunday but was too slow preparing himself to do something which meant the opportunity was gone.

C Martins done a great job for us in League 1 (his true level I think!) and was a more than useful squad player last season even though he had to be taken out of the team cause he wasn''t quite doing enough.He can pass the ball and link up well but unfortunately he isn''t good enough to do a job in the Premiership!

[/quote]I''m just going to put it out there:I don''t know about Vaughan but Chris Martin is no worse than any of our other center forwards.Look at that how you want but I for one allow it to worry me about our chances of survival.